Erik Karlsson Megathread (All Proposals, Discussion, Speculation, and Rumors) [MOD 3470]

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It’s pretty odd to see a fan of the sharpest declining team in the league going so hard in the paint.

You haven’t been humiliated enough? Do you really want to hear the I Told You So’s again?
Meh,I just dont see what everybody else is seeing....If we cant resign EK trading Hoffman for just draft picks is something we could have done later,after all without our Captain what the hell is the point for our team next season....

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Yep,it makes the most sense...If Ottawa was totally gassing the team ,then why wouldnt you either wait for EK to be moved first.

You're logic is severely flawed, probably because you're letting your fandom cloud your judgement. A Karlsson trade takes a lot longer to complete than trading a player with baggage like Hoffman, who was just flipped twice in the same day. The Sens absolutely needed to get Hoffman out of the locker room immediately... that was in no way, shape, or form hinging on a Karlsson deal. Can't believe someone could actually think that lol. The draft is 2 days away... teams are getting their ducks in a row. The Sens saw an out with Hoffman and they jumped on it, rightfully so.

The Sens intent has been to offer Karlsson a contract and hope he re-signs. After the Hoffman story broke last week, the writing was on the wall that Karlsson would be out. What star player, in the prime of his career, wants to play for a sub par team with tons of drama about his wife being the topic of media conversation in that market? "Who was right, Karlsson's wife or Hoffman's, wife, etc." Who in their right mind wants to deal with that garbage every day? Expecting Karlsson to willingly commit to the Sens for the rest of his career right now is beyond wishful thinking - it's pure lunacy.

Then you have some of the best NHL insiders like Bob McKenzie and Elliott Friedman both say today that they fully expect Karlsson to be traded. These guys are among the best in the biz. How you have a verified member of the the NHL Network going on record as saying the Sens are pushing to trade Karlsson and Smith. When was the last time KT put herself out there and made such a bold proclamation? Hint: never. No one with credibility within the industry is going to expose themselves like that unless they have solid information.

Realistically, I think there's a 7% chance Karlsson stays in Ottawa... and that's only if...

1. The Sens feel desperate enough to offer Karlsson an 8-year, $12.5 mil per deal.
2. If Karlsson is 100% motivated by money more than anything else and just wants that massive deal from the Sens.

Outside of the above, Karlsson is out my friend.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Yep,it makes the most sense...If Ottawa was totally gassing the team ,then why wouldnt you either wait for EK to be moved first.Or second take just draft picks for him,then take cap dumps from cap starved teams to gain the floor for even more picks....

Instead of trading away an issue, for a decent LW albeit slightly overpaid with some term..And giving up picks,this trade makes no sense otherwise....PD may come off as kinda inexperienced ,but nobody would do this deal if there wasnt more attached to it

They wait, Hoffman's girlfriend gets charged with criminal harassement, media mayhem follows and his value drops to zero, great idea.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You're logic is severely flawed, probably because you letting your fandom cloud your judgement. A Karlsson trade takes a lot longer to complete than trading a player with baggage like Hoffman, who was just flipped twice in the same day. The Sens absolutely needed to get Hoffman out of the locker room immediately... that was in no way, shape, or form hinging on a Karlsson deal. Can't believe someone could actually think that lol.

The Sens intent has been to offer Karlsson a contract and hope he re-signs. After the Hoffman story broke last week, the writing was on the wall that Karlsson would be out. What star player, in the prime of his career, wants to play for a sub par team with tons of drama about his wife being the topic of media conversation that market? Expecting Karlsson to willingly commit to the Sens for the rest of his career right now is beyond wishful thinking - it's pure lunacy.

Then you have some of the best NHL insiders like Bob McKenzie and Elliott Friedman both say today that they fully expect Karlsson to be traded. These guys are among the best in the biz. How you have a verified member of the the NHL Network going on record as saying the Sens are pushing to trade Karlsson and Smith. When was the last time KT put herself out there and made such a bold proclamation? Hint: never. No one with credibility within the industry is going to expose themselves like that unless they have solid information.

Realistically, I think there's a 7% chance Karlsson stays in Ottawa... and that's only if...

1. The Sens feel desperate enough to offer Karlsson an 8-year, $12.5 mil per deal.
2. If Karlsson is 100% motivated by money more than anything else and just wants that massive deal from the Sens.

Outside of the above, Karlsson is out my friend.
Meh your opinion is just as flawed then my friend,you quoting the media doesnt make this post any more realisitic than mine

Reactions: Supermassive

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Meh your opinion is just as flawed then my friend,you quoting the media doesnt make this post any more realisitic than mine

Well mine is based on common sense and logical behavior patterns, then backed-up and echoed by some of the best media professionals in the entire industry. I'm not sure where yours is coming from exactly. I'm not trying to be rude, just being honest. Your logic doesn't make much sense.

Why on earth would the Sens "have to wait" on a Karlsson trade before dealing Hoffman when there's suitors today who wouldn't likely be in the position to make the same trade this weekend?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
But at worst it would be #4 If I'm Colorado that pick is untouchable

To answer you quoting myself:

Even if Ottawa finishes dead last (which is far from guaranteed), it has more than 50% chance being #4 OA... and 18.5% of becoming Jack Hugues. Kakko, Turcotte, Newhook and Lavoie are nice prospects, but they are no sure fire franchise center like Matthews/Eichel/Tavares/etc.

There is only one Jack Hugues in 2019. The others prospects are nice assets, but nothing that you should be too worried trading if what you get is Erik Karlsson.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
To answer you quoting myself:

Even if Ottawa finishes dead last (which is far from guaranteed), it has more than 50% chance being #4 OA... and 18.5% of becoming Jack Hugues. Kakko, Turcotte, Newhook and Lavoie are nice prospects, but they are no sure fire franchise center like Matthews/Eichel/Tavares/etc.

There is only one Jack Hugues in 2019. The others prospects are nice assets, but nothing that you should be too worried trading if what you get is Erik Karlsson.

Colorado holds all the cards in this situation. They could comfortably wait until the deadline and see what they have. If Ottawa is a bottom-3 team at the deadline and hasn't traded Karlsson yet, Colorado will make the Duchene deal look like a fair trade with the amount of leverage they'll have.

Reactions: milehigh11

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Colorado holds all the cards in this situation. They could comfortably wait until the deadline and see what they have. If Ottawa is a bottom-3 team at the deadline and hasn't traded Karlsson yet, Colorado will make the Duchene deal look like a fair trade with the amount of leverage they'll have.

If Karlsson does not sign the extension at the beginning of July, he is going to be traded, and teams will line up with great offers. No way Ottawa is going let that go for a full year and wait at the deadline to trade him if he lets them know he will not sign with them long term.

Erik Karlsson is not going to be traded for a late first and 2 prospects, I can guarantee you that. ;)

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

Colorado holds the cards but that doesn't mean it's wise to overplay a winning hand. There's only one Erik Karlsson in the NHL. I'm amazed at how many "Meh, the Avs such just continue to rebuild and not even think about Karlsson" posts there are here. The NHL is not run like a fantasy hockey team, managed by kids with nothing at stake and a penchant for hoarding prospects.

Karlsson is an elite player, and perhaps the best defenseman on the entire planet, still in his 20s. The Avs could very likely hold the cards because they have a pick that the Sens probably covet the most - their own in 2019. To suggest Colorado shouldn't use this to their advantage in any Karlsson deal is foolish. We've seen teams drop out of a top spot numerous times - heck, it happened to the Avs just a couple of years ago when they had one of the worst records in modern NHL history.

The Avs are playing with house money here. If they can somehow leverage this house money to acquire the premier offensive defenseman in the game today, they absolutely should.

The same Avs fans who are proclaiming, "rebuild, rebuild" would be changing their tune the first time Karlsson goes end-to-end and sets up MacKinnon for a goal... or when he finishes the season with 77 points and adds another Norris trophy to his collection.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If Karlsson does not sign the extension at the beginning of July, he is going to be traded, and teams will line up with great offers. No way Ottawa is going let that go for a full year and wait at the deadline to trade him if he lets them know he will not sign with them long term.

Erik Karlsson is not going to be traded for a late first and 2 prospects, I can guarantee you that. ;)

The amount of teams that can afford Karlsson in terms of assets and future cap hit isn't huge. Especially considering only teams that see themselves as contending in the next 3 years should really be interested, and they all have established cap set ups and likely weaker prospect pools than rebuilding teams. If Ryan is attached to Karlsson your options boil down to just Vegas pretty much.

If Vegas knows you have to move him by July and only to them, they'd be stupid not to push the price down. I just don't see any trade situation where the Sens aren't hugely behind in leverage. The only other option I can see is a Subban for Weber type of deal but that doesn't make sense for the Sens where they are in their development.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The amount of teams that can afford Karlsson in terms of assets and future cap hit isn't huge. Especially considering only teams that see themselves as contending in the next 3 years should really be interested, and they all have established cap set ups and likely weaker prospect pools than rebuilding teams. If Ryan is attached to Karlsson your options boil down to just Vegas pretty much.

If Vegas knows you have to move him by July and only to them, they'd be stupid not to push the price down. I just don't see any trade situation where the Sens aren't hugely behind in leverage. The only other option I can see is a Subban for Weber type of deal but that doesn't make sense for the Sens where they are in their development.

You're severely underrating what teams would be willing to do to add a prime Erik Karlsson to their roster. This isn't some on-the-decline 33 year old here lol. Teams find solutions to their problems. Just the other day many people swore it would be nearly impossible for the Sens to trade Hoffman, due to the circumstances. He was traded twice today.

There are trades to be made, which can free up money to acquire a franchise player like Karlsson. Teams always have a trick up their sleeve that can be used when they feel it's right.

And, the Sens are obviously positioning Ryan in any Karlsson trade (right now). Why shouldn't they try? But, at the end of the day, if they are offered a great package from Team A (without taking back Ryan), they will make the trade instead of taking a horrific deal from another team willing to absorb Ryan's hit.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Karlsson and Ryan to Vegas for basically a bunch of futures makes a ton of sense for all parties involved. I'll be stunned if it doesn't happen.

Without their first from next year? Can they truly commit to that rebuild without it?

Alex Tuch or Shea Theodore
Suzuki
or Brannstrom (OTT wanted Glass)
Two 1sts (obviously before VGK traded the 2018 first for Tatar)

I would assume that if Vegas gets back in to the running (most seem to think they are) they would have to acquire a 1st this season to turn around in a deal for EK65.

If Dorion/OTT think it might be easier to make the deal AFTER the Draft, then VGK can offer up their 2019 1st. This thought occurred to me this morning:

JUNE 30:
OTT trades Bobby Ryan to VGK for Future Considerations (VGK pays Ryan's $2M signing bonus on July 1)

JULY 2:
OTT trades Erik Karlsson to VGK for Nick Suzuki, Shea Theodore, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd, David Clarkson's contract (VGK paid Clarkson's $750K signing bonus on July 1).

VGK has three 2nds in the 2020 Draft. They will have already talked to EK65 and his agent to agree on an extension after the trade. Ottawa gets Clarkson's $5.25M cap hit and only has to pay him $200K in actual money this year ($450K signing bonus and $200K salary for the year after, the final one on Clarkson's deal).

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If Dorion/OTT think it might be easier to make the deal AFTER the Draft, then VGK can offer up their 2019 1st. This thought occurred to me this morning:

JUNE 30:
OTT trades Bobby Ryan to VGK for Future Considerations (VGK pays Ryan's $2M signing bonus on July 1)

JULY 2:
OTT trades Erik Karlsson to VGK for Nick Suzuki, Shea Theodore, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd, David Clarkson's contract (VGK paid Clarkson's $750K signing bonus on July 1).

VGK has three 2nds in the 2020 Draft. They will have already talked to EK65 and his agent to agree on an extension after the trade. Ottawa gets Clarkson's $5.25M cap hit and only has to pay him $200K in actual money this year ($450K signing bonus and $200K salary for the year after, the final one on Clarkson's deal).

Well thoughtout.

Reactions: Sir Goose

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

JUNE 30:

JULY 2:

VGK won't take on Ryan without EK in the transaction. Not every GM in the league is stupid.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well mine is based on common sense and logical behavior patterns, then backed-up and echoed by some of the best media professionals in the entire industry. I'm not sure where yours is coming from exactly. I'm not trying to be rude, just being honest. Your logic doesn't make much sense.

Why on earth would the Sens "have to wait" on a Karlsson trade before dealing Hoffman when there's suitors today who wouldn't likely be in the position to make the same trade this weekend?
Based off hockey professionals that have no inside knowledge and are just speculating as you and i both are...My opinion on the matter isnt as far fetched as you choose to believe

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

JUNE 30:

JULY 2:

I'd hate to give up Theodore but if that's the offer I think Vegas has to go with it. I also don't like giving up firsts with a pipeline this shallow but I'll have to trust the scouts.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Colorado holds the cards but that doesn't mean it's wise to overplay a winning hand. There's only one Erik Karlsson in the NHL. I'm amazed at how many "Meh, the Avs such just continue to rebuild and not even think about Karlsson" posts there are here. The NHL is not run like a fantasy hockey team, managed by kids with nothing at stake and a penchant for hoarding prospects.

Karlsson is an elite player, and perhaps the best defenseman on the entire planet, still in his 20s. The Avs could very likely hold the cards because they have a pick that the Sens probably covet the most - their own in 2019. To suggest Colorado shouldn't use this to their advantage in any Karlsson deal is foolish. We've seen teams drop out of a top spot numerous times - heck, it happened to the Avs just a couple of years ago when they had one of the worst records in modern NHL history.

The Avs are playing with house money here. If they can somehow leverage this house money to acquire the premier offensive defenseman in the game today, they absolutely should.

The same Avs fans who are proclaiming, "rebuild, rebuild" would be changing their tune the first time Karlsson goes end-to-end and sets up MacKinnon for a goal... or when he finishes the season with 77 points and adds another Norris trophy to his collection.

So much this. Now I’m not going to gut the team to acquire him, but I’d easily offer our 18’ 1st, OTT 19’ 1st, Timmins, or something similar as base for Karlsson. If you have the chance to add a generational talent to your team and not touch much of your current roster you gotta do it.

Reactions: Jordan Belfort

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
HFboards, where prospects and draft picks are worth more than an 80 point defenseman
Most teams don't want to blow their rosters up to get a guy that isn't a guarantee to re-sign.

Vegas for sake of example is the only team that has been consistently (at least on record) aggressively chasing Karlsson. They're not parting with Marchessault and the only other forwards of value are unsigned. A defenseman plus prospects and picks is their only play. If no one outbids them and Ottawa doesn't take the offer then that's the way it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->