Erik Karlsson Megathread (All Proposals, Discussion, Speculation, and Rumors) [MOD 3470]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary's centre depth is horrendous as is. Moving Mony just makes it worse.
A base around Hamilton & Karlsson makes sense, clearly Calgary's adding here.

Neither team does this though.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
No team is going to give up a top line centre and a first pairing D for one player. And now we have a top line with Jankowski at centre, so that's a problem too.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Karlsson is the number 1 dman in the league and will be the highest paid dman after his next contract, are you actually telling me that the best he would fetch would be Dougie Hamilton for a 1 on 1 D swap? Dougie doesnt even crack the top 15D man list . I hope you are kidding. Karl would fetch any other Dman in the league 1 for 1.

#NHLTopPlayers: Top 20 Defensemen

The fundamental problem you’re missing here is, no team is going to offer their top 20 dman. Is Tampa going to offer Hedman? Any team wanting Karlsson is going to do so because they think they are a contender and Karlsson will put them over the top. Which means they will want to be adding to what they already have.

So you’re looking at 3-4 substantially lesser pieces than what Karlsson is worth as offers from most teams.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I do love me some Erik Karlsson, but nah. The Flames don't really have the elite talent to afford to give up 2 core pieces in one go.

Also would depend what Karlsson is signed for. 12 million is basically what Monahan and Hamilton are costing combined for the next while. If it's anywhere at or below an AAV of 10, well then I might have to think about it a little longer.

Also also there's got to be some concern over his injury history. His playoff performance in 2016-17 was the stuff of legends but playing through an injury like that was medically a really bad idea.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
With the hailstorm of Karlsson proposals that should be coming up until draft day I figure it’s a good time to bump this.

upload_2018-6-14_0-6-2.gif

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
I wouldn't touch this. Karlsson or not, losing Monahan would crush our team. He's the best C we've had in a loooong time and we have nobody who can step up and fill his place. The upgrade from Hamilton to Karlsson is nice but the loss of Monahan would leave us as a much worse team. Easy no.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Boxscore you have done a tremendous job articulating your argument, especially considering its unconventional. Very well done.

If I were Ottawa I would take it in a heartbeat, they are not in a position to do much better. the only team that could offer up the right assets would be Tampa in my opinion, something around Sergachev and Braydon Point perhaps.

Reactions: Boxscore

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Islanders trade- both first round picks this year, bith 2nd round picks this year, ho-sang, and Pulock

Senators trade- Karlsson and Hoffman

-Isles should then explore the idea if trading Lee for a Brodin type of defenseman, and then signing Carlson as well.

I’d pare that down.

An extended EK for NYIs two firsts (11, 12) and Josh Ho Sang.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Don't like it from Calgary's POV.

I think that Monahan + Hamilton at their cap hit is probably better than Karlsson (at the new cap hit) and seat filler (to top up the cap hit.)

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Calgary's centre depth is horrendous as is. Moving Mony just makes it worse.
A base around Hamilton & Karlsson makes sense, clearly Calgary's adding here.

Neither team does this though.
Confused about said problems with Flames centre depth

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
7. The Avs have Joe Sakic, who is very respected by NHL players, which makes it likely that Karlsson would at least "listen"

lol, can you imagine going from Melnyk/Dorion to one of the most respect former players in the league?

For the record I think your proposal is pretty good. Remove the conditional picks, if the Avs pull the tigger it's most likely only due to the fact that they've talked to Karlsson's agent and a deal has been verbally agreed upon.

But TBH I'm curious if the Avs front office would even want Karlsson when you consider the cost to aquire him and extend him. I'm also not a big fan of taking Ryan on.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Whatever happens I believe Karlsson and Ryan are a package deal. Karlsson's talent speaks for itself but I think a healthy Ryan can still be a key contributor.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
5 team proposal... Yes, I probably value some of these assets more or less than they’re actually worth...

Trade Proposal
-————-————-————
- CAR gets......
Mike Hoffman
COL 2018 1st (16th)
Phillipp Grubauer
- CAR gives......
Jeff Skinner
CAR 2018 2nd (42nd)
CAR 2019 2nd
-————-————-————
- COL gets......
Erik Karlsson
Jeff Skinnner
- COL gives......
OTT 2019 1st
COL 2018 1st (16th)
Tyson Barrie
NSH 2018 2nd (58th)
Vladislav Kamenev
Nicolas Meloche
-————-————-————
- MTL gets......
Matt Duchene
Vladislav Kamenev
CAR 2019 2nd
- MTL gives......
MTL 2018 1st (3rd)
MTL 2019 3rd
-————-————-————
- OTT gets......
OTT 2019 1st
MTL 2019 3rd
Ilya Samsonov
MTL 2018 1st (3rd)
NSH 2018 2nd (58th)
Brook Orpik
- OTT gives......
Erik Karlsson
Mike Hoffman
Matt Duchene
-————-————-————
- WAS gets......
Tyson Barrie
CAR 2018 2nd (42nd)
Nicolas Meloche
- WAS gives......
Phillipp Grubauer
Ilya Samsonov
Brook Orpik
-————-————-————

Let me know how bad an idea this is, lol

Avs44

May 16, 2011
:avs
Erik Karlsson
Bobby Ryan

:sens
Tyson Barrie
Cale Makar
2019 1st (OTT)

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Laughable. A top 5 / 10 pick, a 50+ point D, a top D prospect, and have to take back Ryan? That's just flatly ridiculous.

I'm not sure the Avs are going to pursue Karlsson at all. There wasn't a peep about them being interested at the deadline whatsoever, and Sakic is a very conservative GM who's been preaching patience and drafting + development. Not to mention the Avs will be winners the day the Sens move Karlsson (if they do) without having to do a thing. That makes it additionally quite tempting just to sit this one out.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Whatever happens I believe Karlsson and Ryan are a package deal. Karlsson's talent speaks for itself but I think a healthy Ryan can still be a key contributor.
That is really going to limit the teams they can deal with...thus lessen the return. Trading EK is going to be a defining moment for them, if you get max return by not adding Ryan, then you don't add Ryan.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
5 team proposal... Yes, I probably value some of these assets more or less than they’re actually worth...

Trade Proposal
-————-————-————
- CAR gets......
Mike Hoffman
COL 2018 1st (16th)
Phillipp Grubauer
- CAR gives......
Jeff Skinner
CAR 2018 2nd (42nd)
CAR 2019 2nd
-————-————-————
- COL gets......
Erik Karlsson
Jeff Skinnner
- COL gives......
OTT 2019 1st
COL 2018 1st (16th)
Tyson Barrie
NSH 2018 2nd (58th)
Vladislav Kamenev
Nicolas Meloche
-————-————-————
- MTL gets......
Matt Duchene
Vladislav Kamenev
CAR 2019 2nd
- MTL gives......
MTL 2018 1st (3rd)
MTL 2019 3rd
-————-————-————
- OTT gets......
OTT 2019 1st
MTL 2019 3rd
Ilya Samsonov
MTL 2018 1st (3rd)
NSH 2018 2nd (58th)
Brook Orpik
- OTT gives......
Erik Karlsson
Mike Hoffman
Matt Duchene
-————-————-————
- WAS gets......
Tyson Barrie
CAR 2018 2nd (42nd)
Nicolas Meloche
- WAS gives......
Phillipp Grubauer
Ilya Samsonov
Brook Orpik
-————-————-————

That's to much

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Trade Proposal
-————-————-————
- CAR gets......
Mike Hoffman
COL 2018 1st (16th)
Phillipp Grubauer
- CAR gives......
Jeff Skinner
CAR 2018 2nd (42nd)
CAR 2019 2nd
-————-————-————
- COL gets......
Erik Karlsson
Jeff Skinnner
- COL gives......
OTT 2019 1st
COL 2018 1st (16th)
Tyson Barrie
NSH 2018 2nd (58th)
Vladislav Kamenev
Nicolas Meloche
-————-————-————
- MTL gets......
Matt Duchene
Vladislav Kamenev
CAR 2019 2nd
- MTL gives......
MTL 2018 1st (3rd)
MTL 2019 3rd
-————-————-————
- OTT gets......
OTT 2019 1st
MTL 2019 3rd
Ilya Samsonov
MTL 2018 1st (3rd)
NSH 2018 2nd (58th)
Brook Orpik
- OTT gives......
Erik Karlsson
Mike Hoffman
Matt Duchene
-————-————-————
- WAS gets......
Tyson Barrie
CAR 2018 2nd (42nd)
Nicolas Meloche
- WAS gives......
Phillipp Grubauer
Ilya Samsonov
Brook Orpik
-————-————-————

Carolina is not trading for Mike Hoffman. Jordan Staal just went through what Karlsson went through at the same time. Canes are trying to build a positive organization culture. Keep Hoffman and his drama far, far away from Raleigh.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Carolina is not trading for Mike Hoffman. Jordan Staal just went through what Karlsson went through at the same time. Canes are trying to build a positive organization culture. Keep Hoffman and his drama far, far away from Raleigh.

Which is fair if that’s the priority

My thought on the matter have primarily been on seeing Carolina fans wanting more than just futures assets back, and Hoffman probably having the lowest trade value for his skill of most any player in the league at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad