Erik Karlsson Megathread (All Proposals, Discussion, Speculation, and Rumors) [MOD 3470]

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
What kind of packages are we looking at right now for EK? How about something like Timo Meier, Kevin LaBanc, #21OV for Karlsson and Bobby Ryan?

Maybe another conditional pick or something, but it looks about right with Ryan in there. I still think Vegas can beat any other offer out there, just a matter of if they want to now, as they may just bring the whole team back after this season.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Maybe another conditional pick or something, but it looks about right with Ryan in there. I still think Vegas can beat any other offer out there, just a matter of if they want to now, as they may just bring the whole team back after this season.

What is Vegas going to offer that is better than that?

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
What kind of packages are we looking at right now for EK? How about something like Timo Meier, Kevin LaBanc, #21OV for Karlsson and Bobby Ryan?

How would SJ be able to extend EK and eat Ryan’s contract after extending Kane and having to extend our own UFA/RFAs? I’d offer that package without Ryan in the deal. If EK isn’t extended that’s a very fair offer for the amount of risk DW is taking on

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
How would SJ be able to extend EK and eat Ryan’s contract after extending Kane and having to extend our own UFA/RFAs? I’d offer that package without Ryan in the deal. If EK isn’t extended that’s a very fair offer for the amount of risk DW is taking on

I think the deal would be done on the basis of the assumption that EK would be open to a new deal.

You just buy out Ryan right after making the trade.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
What is Vegas going to offer that is better than that?

Non-cap assets. Maybe not a better deal per say, but more in line with what Sens management (let's be honest, Melnyk) are looking for.

I realize Meier and Labanc are cheap next season, but then they are both RFA's and will require sizeable raises. Vegas could likely offer a better haul of picks and (especially) prospects if they include Glass/Suzuki and Brannstrom/Hague.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
1.83MM in dead cap for the next 8 years would be hard to swallow at least in the short term

It's actually more because of signing bonuses.

2018-19 to 2021-22 = $3,583,333
2022-23 to 2025-26 = $1,833,333

Saying his contract is "buyout proof" might be strong, but I don't think anyone taking on Ryan's deal would be looking to buy him out right away.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Non-cap assets. Maybe not a better deal per say, but more in line with what Sens management (let's be honest, Melnyk) are looking for.

I realize Meier and Labanc are cheap next season, but then they are both RFA's and will require sizeable raises. Vegas could likely offer a better haul of picks and (especially) prospects if they include Glass/Suzuki and Brannstrom/Hague.

They’re RFAs coming off of ELCs. The only way they get more than $3M each is if they score more than 60 points.

Obviously San Jose can replace one of those players with Joshua Norris (top-20 in 2017 draft) and try to do something like Justin Braun for a pick around #20 or a player like Brannstrom/Hague.

Vegas doesn’t even have their first in this upcoming draft so I’m not sure how they can offer a better haul of picks.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
1.83MM in dead cap for the next 8 years would be hard to swallow at least in the short term

If you pay Karlsson $11.17M over the next 7 years, you just look at it like $13M for Karlsson.

That’s a much easier pill to swallow than multiple seasons of tanking. Burns and Karlsson give you multiple top-5 pick level superstars.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
They’re RFAs coming off of ELCs. The only way they get more than $3M each is if they score more than 60 points.

Obviously San Jose can replace one of those players with Joshua Norris (top-20 in 2017 draft) and try to do something like Justin Braun for a pick around #20 or a player like Brannstrom/Hague.

Vegas doesn’t even have their first in this upcoming draft so I’m not sure how they can offer a better haul of picks.

They also have guys like Tuch and Theodore if the Senators want to take on upcoming RFA's, and honestly I'd prefer either one of those guys to Labanc/Meier/Norris/ect.

It's not a slight on the Sharks, they are obviously one of the teams in the running if they can take on Ryan's contract. I just happen to think that Vegas has better assets to move, if they choose to go that route.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I have a feeling that I can't shake off. Letang and Karlsson will be part of the same deal, with + coming from PIT's side. PIT takes on Ryan's contract, too.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
It's actually more because of signing bonuses.

2018-19 to 2021-22 = $3,583,333
2022-23 to 2025-26 = $1,833,333

Saying his contract is "buyout proof" might be strong, but I don't think anyone taking on Ryan's deal would be looking to buy him out right away.

You’re right, forgot about the signing bonuses. Absolutely no way we can take on Ryan and extend our FA’s and EK

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
They also have guys like Tuch and Theodore if the Senators want to take on upcoming RFA's, and honestly I'd prefer either one of those guys to Labanc/Meier/Norris/ect.

It's not a slight on the Sharks, they are obviously one of the teams in the running if they can take on Ryan's contract. I just happen to think that Vegas has better assets to move, if they choose to go that route.

Perhaps I’m nitpicking a bit, but I don’t see how Tuch is better than Meier. Meier is younger, has the higher pedigree, and had superior numbers on an inferior team this year.

Timo Meier

Alex Tuch

Otherwise, I get where you’re coming from. It just depends on what each team offers.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
If you pay Karlsson $11.17M over the next 7 years, you just look at it like $13M for Karlsson.

That’s a much easier pill to swallow than multiple seasons of tanking. Burns and Karlsson give you multiple top-5 pick level superstars.
As stems pointed out it’s over 3.8MM through 2022. I just don’t see DW putting that much dead cap on the books.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
As stems pointed out it’s over 3.8MM through 2022. I just don’t see DW putting that much dead cap on the books.

I don't think any team is taking on Ryan to buy him out. Most logical course of action is to hold onto him short term (he's still a half decent player when healthy) and then hope that he can eventually be LTIR'd with his hand/finger injuries. Either that or compliance buyouts are re-introduced with the new CBA and someone can get him off the books that way.

Reactions: WSS11

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Perhaps I’m nitpicking a bit, but I don’t see how Tuch is better than Meier. Meier is younger, has the higher pedigree, and had superior numbers on an inferior team this year.

Timo Meier

Alex Tuch

Otherwise, I get where you’re coming from. It just depends on what each team offers.
Mier is better but we would be getting Glass/Suzuki + Tuch; you can't match that. Ryan is likely staying in OT because the return has to be good on a Karl trade or the fan base will redouble their efforts to bankrupt Melnyk (only 3-4 more years to go guys!)

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Mier is better but we would be getting Glass/Suzuki + Tuch; you can't match that. Ryan is likely staying in OT because the return has to be good on a Karl trade or the fan base will redouble their efforts to bankrupt Melnyk (only 3-4 more years to go guys!)

Yeah, we probably can’t. It sucks that San Jose had to pick Joshua Norris over Eeli Tolvanen, because Meier+Tolvanen might be better than Tuch+Suzuki.

I think you might be underrating Kevin LaBanc, though. He is only a few months older than Tuch, and had more points on a worse team. (Although LaBanc did a lot more on the PP) I think Meier+LaBanc is roughly comparable to Glass+Tuch, but I can’t blame somebody for liking the Vegas package better. However, San Jose’s package contains two proven top-6 NHLers with 1st line potential which may entice Ottawa. Adding in Theodore really is the X-factor for Vegas in a Karlsson trade though.

Isles Drive For 5

Aug 20, 2014
Islanders trade- both first round picks this year, bith 2nd round picks this year, ho-sang, and Pulock

Senators trade- Karlsson and Hoffman

-Isles should then explore the idea if trading Lee for a Brodin type of defenseman, and then signing Carlson as well.

Reactions: Duncstar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad