Erik Karlsson Megathread (All Proposals, Discussion, Speculation, and Rumors) [MOD 3470]

Status
Not open for further replies.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Whatever happens I believe Karlsson and Ryan are a package deal. Karlsson's talent speaks for itself but I think a healthy Ryan can still be a key contributor.

I’d have to think that Ottawa will have to retain a little of Ryan’s cap hit. The return won’t be nearly as good if Dorian demands the entire cap hit needs to be absorbed.

Reactions: Seven0two

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I love Hox, he's one of my closest friends on here, but I too believe he is out to lunch here.

I've said this before, if Ottawa wants to deal Karlsson for futures they are going to lose any deal heavily, because no one is going to part with the assets they want. They are not getting Point or Sergachev from TB, and it has already been reported that the Knights did not want to move Glass. Taking the Vegas model that likely means Tuch, Suzuki, & 1st rounder. Decent pieces, but they are not getting a Karlsson back.

When you look at the history of deals like this, they are usually deals that are star for star. No Hamilton is not on Karlsson's level, but Calgary also doesn't have trade Hamilton.

Dougie might only be 1 piece, but he is an "elite" offensive producer capable of putting up 50-60pts a season. He's young, under an excellent contract and trending to be a franchise #1 dman. People can laugh all they want, but the reality is Treliving offered Dougie, Ottawa would be foolish not to accept because I doubt that anyone else would offer that type of quality over quantity.

Anyways time will tell, but as in typical fashion when Karlsson is dealt I will wait for the typical HF meltdown that the Sens did not back the type of the return people are expecting.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
That trade is pointless to the Flames, they're trading a young number 1 defenseman and a young number 1 center for a 28 year old Karlsson who's probably only going to sign for $10 million plus.

They come out of the deal as a worse team with less cap flexibility.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The Flames wouldn't even consider this trade. The Sens, on the other hand, would fax this to the league on speed dial.

Way too much to give up for Karlsson, based on the circumstances.

No team, Flames included, are removing their number one centerman and a top-4 D horse that could easily anchor a top pairing.

I could see a deal around Hamilton, Backlund, pick, prospect. But Monahan is a deal-breaker. That said, I honestly don't see Karlsson willing to extend with Calgary before he tests the market.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
The fundamental problem you’re missing here is, no team is going to offer their top 20 dman. Is Tampa going to offer Hedman? Any team wanting Karlsson is going to do so because they think they are a contender and Karlsson will put them over the top. Which means they will want to be adding to what they already have.

So you’re looking at 3-4 substantially lesser pieces than what Karlsson is worth as offers from most teams.

Your first statement is true. The Sens will never get an equivalent talent to Karlsson in return. But you're contradicting yourself with your second statement. It's true that they're looking at 3-4 lesser pieces than what Karlsson is worth in return, but you're also stating the best the Sens will get is Hamilton straight up. Hamilton IS one of those substantially lesser pieces. There's zero chance Ottawa would need to settle for just him alone. If Hamilton is the base, be prepared to include at least one more significant piece in the deal.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Easy pass. Karlsson is amazing but our team is better with Monahan + Hamilton, than it would be without them. Creates to many holes.

Also, I’m not entirely sure the Sen’s are going to get a sign and trade deal done, in which case, the return would most likely be futures.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Meh, it may not be proper value for Karlsson but I wouldn't trade Hamilton straight up for him, let alone with Monahan.
Hamilton is younger and on a way better contract (way better when you consider what Karlsson might get).

I would throw an extensive futures package + Brodie+ Bennett to try and land Karlsson, but I understand that it might not be enough to satisfy Sens fans.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Calgary isn’t trading Monahan, so just leave him out.

Hamilton for Karlsson straight up is probably as good of an offer the Sens would get.

For a signed Karlsson? You know there's a massive gap between Karlsson and Hamilton, right?

This is like saying the best the Pens could get for Crosby is Kadri...

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
The fundamental problem you’re missing here is, no team is going to offer their top 20 dman. Is Tampa going to offer Hedman? Any team wanting Karlsson is going to do so because they think they are a contender and Karlsson will put them over the top. Which means they will want to be adding to what they already have.

So you’re looking at 3-4 substantially lesser pieces than what Karlsson is worth as offers from most teams.

Now Hamilton is equal
To Headman in your scenario.....stop man just stop

Reactions: pown

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I've said this before, if Ottawa wants to deal Karlsson for futures they are going to lose any deal heavily, because no one is going to part with the assets they want. They are not getting Point or Sergachev from TB, and it has already been reported that the Knights did not want to move Glass. Taking the Vegas model that likely means Tuch, Suzuki, & 1st rounder. Decent pieces, but they are not getting a Karlsson back.

When you look at the history of deals like this, they are usually deals that are star for star. No Hamilton is not on Karlsson's level, but Calgary also doesn't have trade Hamilton.

Dougie might only be 1 piece, but he is an "elite" offensive producer capable of putting up 50-60pts a season. He's young, under an excellent contract and trending to be a franchise #1 dman. People can laugh all they want, but the reality is Treliving offered Dougie, Ottawa would be foolish not to accept because I doubt that anyone else would offer that type of quality over quantity.

Anyways time will tell, but as in typical fashion when Karlsson is dealt I will wait for the typical HF meltdown that the Sens did not back the type of the return people are expecting.

Couple things you're missing here:

1. Vegas didn't say no to just Glass. They said no to Glass + Theodore/Tuch + two 1st rd picks

2. This offer was for 1.5 years of Karlsson. In this scenario, were assuming Karlsson is signed long term, which substantially increases his value.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Vancouver insists on dumping Ryan without retention in any Karlsson deal I expect the return to be much lower than the fan base would like. It’s not like OTT is going anywhere in the near term and as the cap goes up so does the floor. Ryan is not going to hamstring the team and as the team transitions to a younger team Ryan’s cap hit may be a help in some sense. Ownership is taking a very short term view of this. I guess OTT believes someone will crack before the TDL and offer a solid roster RD with controlled cost a top prospect and at least one first round pick and take Ryan without retention. That’s a tough sell. Most teams that want Karlsson will want to extend him and that’s about $10 mil and then Ryan also? What team can absorb those two hits and contend for say the next five years without having other cap issues that have to be addressed?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
OTT should trade EK for as much as they can to kick start the rebuild (which yes, means giving up the 4th OA to COL) and going after Jack or settling for Kaapo next year.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Hamilton doesnt even.get you Karlsson's jock.

Monahan + 1st 2019 and 1st 2020 is probably good value.

But i dont think.Ottawa would trade Karlsson having the main return as Monaham because of Monahans injuries.

Yeah, no.

I can’t see Calgary trading the only 1C they’ve had in almost 20 years to create a further logjam in their top 4 D. Karlsson is good, but not worth it to not have a first round pick for three consecutive years. Just for a year of EK?

Not a good fit. Calgary needs to get more top heavy, not less. They need to move defensemen, not add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad