Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread IV - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Glass, Theodore, 1st and whatever else they're gonna throw in for EK and Bobby.

Would you prefer Glass Theo and a Vegas 1st? Or do you prefer it because you get rid of Ryan?

IMO the Leafs package is much more enticing, but we wouldn't take Ryan. If they would, obviously that evens it up. It would be spicy to take Nylander and Liljegren from a rival, though.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Theoretically it could make sense that the league stepped into this situation and is currently trying to find a new owner for them. Could be why this is taking so long.

Reactions: Silencio

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Theoretically it could make sense that the league stepped into this situation and is currently trying to find a new owner for them. Could be why this is taking so long.

It's a possibility. What's going on in Ottawa is very bizarre. The last player the Sens signed to a contract worth more than a million bucks was Boroweicki in Oct. 2017. I wouldn't be shocked if something was going on with ownership.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
The strange thing with the sale of the team is Alfie is part of a group looking to purchase (rumoured)

If Melnyk is forced out/sells that would be the best thing to happen to this franchise - and Karlsson on the roster holds value to said sale.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
However, not to put a damper on that theory, if this were the case, I feel like the other teams would be notified of this and they would look to option B.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I know enough to know what that your speculation lacks substance.
everything I said was true though. And sure, there are other factors at play, ones you have considered more than I, but our blind spots are both so large that neither of us can know who is closer to reality. We as fans patch the little info we get into narratives, and almost all of it is imaginary.

Ultimately, my statement was not about insulting the franchise at all. I just see this push to solve the Senators problems by changing owners as misguided and unrealistic

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Why do I get the funny feeling that the Sens are going to get bent over when he's finally dealt?
Because they will.

If there's no offers they like right now when a team can get him for a guaranteed whole season+playoffs? They're really gonna be disappointed when they deal him and the team can only guarantee a few months of a season+playoffs

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why do I get the funny feeling that the Sens are going to get bent over when he's finally dealt?

Because they arent in the best position to negotiate with anybody. They can say take Bobby Ryan or no deal all they want but it gets them nowhere as far as trading Karlsson. Only thing they have on their side is a little bit of time. Maybe one of these days a GM gets antsy and wants Karlsson that bad. But when you are in a position like they are, its not very likely. But they have to do what they can to make this a better situation than it is. This is a franchise changer for them. Anytime you lose your franchise player its a franchise changer. Ask the Isles fans. If he is indeed leaving they need to maximize the return. Problem is the time wont always be there and they will need to make a decision. Unless they are planning on selling. Which is also a franchise changer.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
However, not to put a damper on that theory, if this were the case, I feel like the other teams would be notified of this and they would look to option B.

well, he isnt traded

but nothing really indicates Melnyk is selling. So, if Melnyk is here hes only going to Vegas with Ryan it looks like

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
well, he isnt traded

but nothing really indicates Melnyk is selling. So, if Melnyk is here hes only going to Vegas with Ryan it looks like

I have him going to Vegas too.

However I was thinking about this earlier. If it is all about getting Ryan attached to Karlsson, wouldnt the other teams that will not take Ryan bow out of a deal then and look for plan B? I guess unless their offers are enticing enough even though they dont have Ryan attached.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

However I was thinking about this earlier. If it is all about getting Ryan attached to Karlsson, wouldnt the other teams that will not take Ryan bow out of a deal then and look for plan B? I guess unless their offers are enticing enough even though they dont have Ryan attached.

that would be my guess - and if Vegas is the only trading partner that can take Karlsson/Ryan that puts them in a pretty good spot.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
that would be my guess - and if Vegas is the only trading partner that can take Karlsson/Ryan that puts them in a pretty good spot.

It certainly does. Also makes sense that they would use TB and Dallas to try to get more out of Vegas. Just wish they would do it already. Feels like this is holding up a lot of different deals that could be out there.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

I don't think there's any market for Erik Karlsson right now, as weird as that sounds.

With him not being willing to sign an extension (if true) and the management team forcing Ryan into the deal, he's just not going to return something valuable enough to the Sens.

I'd personally like to see Yzerman just move on and look elsewhere. You're not going to make an impact bigger than getting EK, but I don't think he's going to go into this season without making an addition to his roster.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I don't think there's any market for Erik Karlsson right now, as weird as that sounds.

With him not being willing to sign an extension (if true) and the management team forcing Ryan into the deal, he's just not going to return something valuable enough to the Sens.

I'd personally like to see Yzerman just move on and look elsewhere. You're not going to make an impact bigger than getting EK, but I don't think he's going to go into this season without making an addition to his roster.

As a Sens fan who wants #65 re-signed to 8-years, I fully endorse this.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Which means (IMO) someone used Simmer to leak a deal was close to try and spark someone to do something. Real scummy.

You give "Simmer" far too much credit. The guy is a (poor) radio host in Ottawa that desperately wants to be part of the scene he was involved in more than 10 years ago. He was a (poor) assistant GM at one time that is famous for trading Rask to obtain Raycroft. He's a clown that wouldn't have any contacts in Ottawa. "If" Ottawa was going to leak something they would use Garrioch, not "Simmer".

"Simmer" tried to be important on Twitter and ended up having his pants pulled down in front of the entire internet. He's a loser and you trying to beat the drum of him being used as a leak is laughable.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why are things sour between Karlsson and Melnyk? Is it because Melnyk doesn’t spend to the cap? Or is it just what is going on with the Sens right now as a whole?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Melnyk can’t be forced to sell unless he wants to sell. He hasn’t done or said anything that would prompt the league to step in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad