Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread IV - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
You give "Simmer" far too much credit. The guy is a (poor) radio host in Ottawa that desperately wants to be part of the scene he was involved in more than 10 years ago. He was a (poor) assistant GM at one time that is famous for trading Rask to obtain Raycroft. He's a clown that wouldn't have any contacts in Ottawa. "If" Ottawa was going to leak something they would use Garrioch, not "Simmer".

"Simmer" tried to be important on Twitter and ended up having his pants pulled down in front of the entire internet. He's a loser and you trying to beat the drum of him being used as a leak is laughable.
Or he was leaked something by someone in the organization that sure as hell appears now that it was never true. I mean crap on the guy if you want, but he got on Twitter and took the blame for being purposely leaked false info.

We don't agree obviously, so we can agree to disagree and move on.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
everything I said was true though. And sure, there are other factors at play, ones you have considered more than I, but our blind spots are both so large that neither of us can know who is closer to reality. We as fans patch the little info we get into narratives, and almost all of it is imaginary.

Ultimately, my statement was not about insulting the franchise at all. I just see this push to solve the Senators problems by changing owners as misguided and unrealistic

Were they true though?

-Does the organization carry debt? Yeah they do, as does 24 other franchises.
-Is the arena an issue? Yeah the location currently sucks but Lebreton is a very lucrative project which is on the horizon.
-Is fan interest low? Attendance has decreased but I think the market has more than shown their viability as a hockey market, issues run deeper than fans just losing interest.

You used those three points to question if anyone was actually interest in buying the franchise despite the fact that it's known that their are potential buyers. I dont know...who is misguided here?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Or he was leaked something by someone in the organization that sure as hell appears now that it was never true. I mean crap on the guy if you want, but he got on Twitter and took the blame for being purposely leaked false info.

I heard Jason Gregor of tsn 1260 (Edmonton) this week say he was talking to someone in the league and was told the deal was done with OTT and TB, TB is just looking for a team to take a player with a NTC. That sure as hell didn't come from Ottawa. Here's the thing... I don't think people realize how much of these rumours is gossip from other league executives not involved in the trade. It doesn't come straight from the source like some believe. Simmer wanted to be first and didn't verify the claim, thats on him.

Losinghope

Jul 1, 2018
Theoretically it could make sense that the league stepped into this situation and is currently trying to find a new owner for them. Could be why this is taking so long.

Imo this is the case. I am a close relative of a very highly respected, long term nhl executive. There is nhl interest in the senators right now from what tiny bits of info I have heard. Nothing substantial but i have been told i am overreacting to the situation

Losinghope

Jul 1, 2018
For as much as I want EK in Tampa Bay I want to see the Sens sold more. I've been through bad ownership before and it's something I'd wish only on my worst enemy. Expansion Bros are not the enemy

Erik is a luxury and not a necessity for Tampa. Would love to see him play with hedman but I have a feeling it will work out terrible for both sides

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

He did no such thing. He admitted to writing something that wasn't true.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
He did no such thing. He admitted to writing something that wasn't true.
I understand that. He's taking blame for someone leaking him false info, which is what I said. He's owning up to being wrong and not putting it off on someone else, but he was purposely leaked false information. That's my opinion and you can attempt to debate it all night, but you'll have to do it solo.

Enjoy.

Reactions: Chips and swiftwin

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Erik is a luxury and not a necessity for Tampa. Would love to see him play with hedman but I have a feeling it will work out terrible for both sides

Maybe I'm not being open minded enough but I fail to see how a generational defenseman coming to a 3 time in the last 4 years Eastern Conference finalist as a UFA is going to work out terrible for both sides. If Yzerman was interested in giving up what Ottawa wanted the trade would have happened long ago and the holding pattern by the Lightning can and will continue until either Ottawa comes down on its price or someone else caves in and gives the Senators what they want.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Losinghope

Jul 1, 2018
Maybe I'm not being open minded enough but I fail to see how a generational defenseman coming to a 3 time in the last 4 years Eastern Conference finalist as a UFA is going to work out terrible for both sides. If Yzerman was interested in giving up what Ottawa wanted the trade would have happened long ago and the holding pattern by the Lightning can and will continue until either Ottawa comes down on its price or someone else caves in and gives the Senators what they want.

Trade or fa signing no difference. Ottawa losing erik is terrible.. I guess my thought on erik in Tampa is what will he be?. How will he get his minutes?. How will he perform not carrying a team on his back?. Will he be receptive to not being the guy but part of an elite team. I'm not saying he will be bad for Tampa. I'm just wondering if he will be the erik that we have had the pleasure of watching for many years. Either way you will be paying for a generational defenceman. State tax relief or not... I think erik wants to be paid as the best dman in the league.

All this considered I have a hard time seeing him being as effective or even in Norris conversation. This is just my opinion and I obviously have way to much time on my hands atm

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
For as much as I want EK in Tampa Bay I want to see the Sens sold more. I've been through bad ownership before and it's something I'd wish only on my worst enemy. Expansion Bros are not the enemy

Thank you.

You'd think Tampa fans would be more sympathetic considering they went through the same thing with Stamkos a few years ago...

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Would you prefer Glass Theo and a Vegas 1st? Or do you prefer it because you get rid of Ryan?

IMO the Leafs package is much more enticing, but we wouldn't take Ryan. If they would, obviously that evens it up. It would be spicy to take Nylander and Liljegren from a rival, though.
Honestly it's close. Although Nylander is a proven NHLer I'd say Glass' value isn't too far off. Especially from a financial perspective. Theo and Liljegren is a toss up, but again one is more proven than the other. Tough to say. Who knows who's 1st would be more valuable.

But yes, taking Bobby is a huge part of it.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The strange thing with the sale of the team is Alfie is part of a group looking to purchase (rumoured)

If Melnyk is forced out/sells that would be the best thing to happen to this franchise - and Karlsson on the roster holds value to said sale.

My theory is that Karlsson was Simmer's source. Karlsson is being used as a peon to pry more money out of Alfie & co's offer to buy the team. Sounds like Ryan and Karlsson were told at the TDL last year that they were 100% traded and to pack their shit, yet it turned out not to be true. This "trade" only happened a few days after the leak that an ownership group made an offer to buy the team. Melnyk probably told Karlsson he traded him as a bluff so that the message would get directly to Alfie and the potential buyers. Everything about this Karlsson reeks of high stakes poker between a desprate (former) billionnaire and a potential buyer.

Also, buckle up, things might get crazier, because Mark Stone is about to enter the ring. If he goes to arbitration, he will become a UFA next summer, along with Duchene and Karlsson. Surely Melnyk can't survive the PR disaster and be able to afford the new building. If Stone, Duchene and Karlsson work together, they very well could force Melnyk to sell. Stone has been quite clear that he wants to see the direction of the team before committing long term:

“I’m trying to make sure that the team is going to be going in the right direction,” he said. “For me, personally, that’s something I want to hear. I’m going to take some time here and take in everything that’s happened in the past year and move on from there.”

With Fiedman's latest report, I'm becoming increasingly confident that the team will be sold this summer.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You mean when delusional TBL fans told us they would have Karlsson secured by the end of the week-end? Ya, real exciting, for TBL fans I guess. For the rest of us, it was more like comical.

That must be a sigh of relief from you, Boston was already easy enough without Karlsson.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Thank you.

You'd think Tampa fans would be more sympathetic considering they went through the same thing with Stamkos a few years ago...

Huh? It wasn't even close to the same thing you just clearly not paid attention. Some of us didn't care if Stamkos left, we had a great young team and if he was going to go for money we'd have been fine moving on from him not to mention there was no indication of him wanting out with no chance to resign him.

And btw he was talking about management.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

I would say the possibility for this trade turning out bad for example to Vegas exists because:
  • You don't fix what isn't broken
  • Vegas does not tolerate anyone rising above the team
  • Weird things happen to weird people
  • You're only as good as your last game
  • A dead contract is dead, even if you can afford it

Vegas was finalist, they already have working structure and identity. Succeeding in making a competitive team isn't exactly the easiest thing to do in hockey even if you're team is full of star players. After few games in the last season, VGK completely kicked out their nr. 1 center, "just" because of an ego issue. I don't see how EK could suddenly pretend that he isn't a star player. The weird case of harassment has two sides, and even though it seems unlikely, there is a chance that EK or his family had something to in this matter. If you're stats show you played bad, there is a huge chance that you were the reason and actually played bad/injured; is he really 100%. Generally players on verge of huge contract don't want to underline their injuries. I don't see how Bobby Ryan contract will make VGK to reach their goal: His contract might even prevent critical trades in the future.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
I would say the possibility for this trade turning out bad for example to Vegas exists because:
  • You don't fix what isn't broken
  • Vegas does not tolerate anyone rising above the team
  • Weird things happen to weird people
  • You're only as good as your last game
  • A dead contract is dead, even if you can afford it

Vegas was finalist, they already have working structure and identity. Succeeding in making a competitive team isn't exactly the easiest thing to do in hockey even if you're team is full of star players. After few games in the last season, VGK completely kicked out their nr. 1 center, "just" because of an ego issue. I don't see how EK could suddenly pretend that he isn't a star player. The weird case of harassment has two sides, and even though it seems unlikely, there is a chance that EK or his family had something to in this matter. If you're stats show you played bad, there is a huge chance that you were the reason and actually played bad/injured; is he really 100%. Generally players on verge of huge contract don't want to underline their injuries. I don't see how Bobby Ryan contract will make VGK to reach their goal: His contract might even prevent critical trades in the future.
Uh, wierd stuff happens to everyone, thats life, get of your high horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad