Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread IV - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicVinegar

Realtor/Bodyguard
Sep 28, 2017
So EM a known liar, says he isnt interested in selling...Bill Daly tells TSN he isnt selling,yet this is considered lock solid proof EM wont sell....Not saying it will happen ,but placing your faith in entirely in what is said in the press for whatever reason...Isnt very logical at all
Bill said EM is not in active discussion with selling. He would know if he was, simple as that. Deputy Commission and Chief Legal Officer of the NHL would 100% be informed if ANYTHING was happening with a potential sell.
I'm done with you...

Reactions: iSophagus

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So no sports news outlet is allowed to be used as evidence? So only reports directly from the NHL should be talked about on here? Are you seriously this stubborn?
These are rhetorical questions btw...
Look I never said it was an absolute ,that,s more your style...I merely pointed out another possible scenario that does have some logic behind it....You dont like this scenario this much is plain,so you choose to try and argue and prove that my point is worthless....

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Bill said EM is not in active discussion with selling. He would know if he was, simple as that. Deputy Commission and Chief Legal Officer of the NHL would 100% be informed if ANYTHING was happening with a potential sell.
I'm done with you...
Yep,because telling the press about a pending sale would be a prudent course of action...And bye bye

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
tenor.gif

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm done with you...

What does Bill Daly have to gain by telling the truth in this situation though? The NHL (and Bettman/Daly) won't go public about a sale until it's done (or as close to done as possible).

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
What does Bill Daly have to gain by telling the truth in this situation though? The NHL (and Bettman/Daly) won't go public about a sale until it's done (or as close to done as possible).

@VicVinegar never said it was impossible. It could be that Melnyk is in the process of selling the team right this second. But there's no evidence to support that. And there is ample evidence, like statements by Melnyk and Bill Daly, that a sale is not happening.

And it's not like NHL somehow keeps every sale a complete secret. There's a million stories about a potential sale of the Coyotes right now. So why would no one be reporting a sale of the Sens if it was happening?

A scenario where Melnyk sells the team is unrealistic until there is a shred of evidence that he might actually do that.

Reactions: LilWayneJetski

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lots of talk about Melnyk looking at selling all around Ottawa and that is not a large community.

Doesn't mean it is true and it is imminent but with how things are going, him looking at establishing an exit strategy makes a lot of sense. I am confidant he has looked at selling but mostly as a "getting his feet wet" not because he's in a hurry to sell or has actually decided to sell.

It seems very unlikely that he sells before the new arena deal goes through, he'd be missing out on a lot of money. Same with the next expansion, Vegas coming in made a lot of money for everyone, Seattle will likely increase valuations across the board.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Any updates on this situation?

I wonder if Karlsson could be swayed to stay if Melnyk sold just enough of the team that he's no longer a majority owner?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I wonder if Karlsson could be swayed to stay if Melnyk sold just enough of the team that he's no longer a majority owner?
Are there really buyers in Ottawa though? They'd be buying a team with a lot of debt and low fan interest, along with arena issues.

Reactions: amethyst

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Are there really buyers in Ottawa though? They'd be buying a team with a lot of debt and low fan interest, along with arena issues.

Yeah, it will definitely be a sell low situation.

I just think Melnyk needs to get out of this business of hockey. He clearly is trying to make a lot of money out of it but failing miserably. Most of the owners are just filthy rich and have a team to say that they have a professional team.

Reactions: BigCanadian

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Figured when the Rangers were rumoured to be in on a three-way, that this would be done already - that 5.8 AAV Cally has is almost as bad as Ryan's 7.5 AAV holding this all up.

LifeAfterAlfie

Sep 4, 2013

Melnyk is accustomed to running the show. I am fairly certain that nobody would want him as a minority owner.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

unfortunately the lack of fan interest is directly linked to Melnyk, people openly protest going to games because he is the owner

fans hate Melnyk, Alfie never liked Melnyk, and Karlsson doesn't like Melnyk. There are rumoured interested parties - and imo Karlsson stays if Melnyk sells - but that is very unlikely

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Just caught an NHLN clip of the analyst claiming EK wouldn't make the money in Tampa that he would in Ottawa.

... Dunno if this guy knows how taxes work, but Tampa would only have to offer $7.7M/per to match Ottawa's $10M offer.

EDIT: Nevermind, analyst is just an idiot. Very next clip he suggested that MaxPac has possibly dealt with more BS from Montreal than EK has with Ottawa. Pretty sure MaxPac didn't have a teammate's girl making fun of his wife's miscarriage.

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Dallas might have to reconsider getting Karlsson, since by getting Methot they already fixed a huge cap in their defense, but at the same time they have lost a lot of their scoring from the previous years. Karlsson with Methot is a strong pair, and this could bring them back the missing offense without losing too much of the defense.

At the last trade deadline Vegas GM was ready to throw fortunes to get EK (~2-3 first round picks + Ryan + high prospects). If Dallas and Tampa can't find the change, Vegas is the team that will most likely pick him up before the next deadline, just because why not.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Just caught an NHLN clip of the analyst claiming EK wouldn't make the money in Tampa that he would in Ottawa.

... Dunno if this guy knows how taxes work, but Tampa would only have to offer $7.7M/per to match Ottawa's $10M offer.

EDIT: Nevermind, analyst is just an idiot. Very next clip he suggested that MaxPac has possibly dealt with more BS from Montreal than EK has with Ottawa. Pretty sure MaxPac didn't have a teammate's girl making fun of his wife's miscarriage.

Wasn't ever proven, but okay. :laugh:

Karlsson's certainly been through a lot, but the media in Montreal is far more vicious than whoever writes about hockey in Ottawa. Garrioch, I guess? That blogger who sandbagged Alfredsson?

Reactions: Jorkkila
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad