Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread IV - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
if a team gets ek its because they know he will sign.
And if he's unwilling to sign that extension up front, no team will give up those kind of assets. Period. Vegas is not trading Glass and TB isn't trading Sergachev unless they have a contract signed with Erik Karlsson ahead of time. If he's unwilling to do so, you're not getting that return and it's naive to think you will.

Erik Karlsson's worth to Ottawa ≠ his worth to other teams without an extension.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
there you have it folks.

A straight up trade of Cirelli for Karlsson deserves some hesitancy.
I can find ridiculous comments from Sens fans that say they'll get Point, Sergachev and Foote+ back in a deal for EK. See how it works when you search for the 2-3 outliers in a thread and pretend they speak for everyone?

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I can find ridiculous comments from Sens fans that say they'll get Point, Sergachev and Foote+ back in a deal for EK. See how it works when you search for the 2-3 outliers in a thread and pretend they speak for everyone?

that never happened - just replied to one posters laughable comment

Reactions: derriko

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I agree that whoever trades for Karlsson should give up really good pieces even if its not for an extension, but people have to realize the situation here and why there is difference between the values. 1 is a rental while the other is not. A signed Karlsson is worth a ton. However I think what also makes this murky is the idea out there that Karlsson doesnt want to re-sign in Ottawa. At least with their owner being there he wants out. That takes value off of him from in this way as well. So I dont think Ottawa gets as good a deal as they think they should in this scenario either. I mean either way Ottawa is not going to get an amazing return for Karlsson. A re-signed one should still bring back more than a rental but how much is a decent question to ask considering how much leverage Ottawa actually has. Their only leverage is being able to play proposals off of each other. That could lessen as we move closer to the season.

As the offseason is about a month or so from ending and training camp comes around a lot of those teams he was (reportedly) willing to re-sign with have moved on. So the return wont be as good. However, a deadline deal I think could be as good but probably not better than a deal what a signed Karlsson would get. Look at what TB gave for McDonagh [2 firsts (1 being conditional) and 2 good but not great prospects] and its probably around that as a deadline deal. Could be less since he is only a rental for the playoffs. So I dont know what Ottawa thinks they can max out on Karlsson right now but its definitely lower than what it was at the deadline last year and maybe even the draft too. Ottawa screwed this up. They might not ever get a Glass, Sergachev, or Heiskanen type prospect in this deal again. It would take a desperate team and I think teams are getting less desperate now days. It costs a lot to be desperate.

Last edited:

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Ottawa has to pull some assets out of EK. They are due for a trade that actually benefits them. The whole circus this year reminds me of the Leafs after the Kessel deal. I hope they finish out of the lottery for the sake of the fans.

Yes, I am a Leafs fan, but a healthy rivalry is always nice. Plus I like the city of Ottawa.

Reactions: topshelf15

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
If you think it’s laughable you might want to work on your reading comprehension. You clearly didn’t understand a word of what I said.

well it made me laugh - so by definition your comment was laughable.

I think this is the part that got me going: "I can understand why people would be hesitant (to trade Cirelli for Karlsson)"

maybe I just have a sick sense of humour...but hey it's Monday, we could all use a good laugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Upgrayedd

Teamoo

Jan 20, 2016
Posted this in another thread but this one may be more appropriate:

WPG
Karlsson

TB
Trouba

OTT
WPG 1st 2019
Myers
Appleton or Petan
Cal Foote
Giardi or Stalman
TB 2nd 2020

Thoughts?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

WPG
Karlsson

TB
Trouba

OTT
WPG 1st 2019
Myers
Appleton or Petan
Cal Foote
Giardi or Stalman
TB 2nd 2020

Thoughts?
OTT gets a junk drawer full of ordinary pieces. Don't see anything there to interest them, at all.
If Karlsson is willing to sign in WPG, and Trouba in OTT, why not cut out TB?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

WPG
Karlsson

TB
Trouba

OTT
WPG 1st 2019
Myers
Appleton or Petan
Cal Foote
Giardi or Stalman
TB 2nd 2020

Thoughts?

OTT gets a junk drawer full of ordinary pieces. Don't see anything there to interest them, at all.
If Karlsson is willing to sign in WPG, and Trouba in OTT, why not cut out TB?

It's the classic third team in offering junk to "facilitate" the trade and get a huge asset out of it. Usually it's Point from Tampa, but this one actually wants Karlsson. Pretty good.

Reactions: Magic Mittens

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

WPG
Karlsson

TB
Trouba

OTT
WPG 1st 2019
Myers
Appleton or Petan
Cal Foote
Giardi or Stalman
TB 2nd 2020

Thoughts?

Yzerman wasn’t willing to trade Foote for two years of Karlsson or McDonagh; he certainly won’t trade him for two years of team control of Trouba. If Trouba were extended long term it wouldn’t be a bad deal value-wise but we can’t afford his next deal without somebody like Killorn or Johnson agreeing to a trade. So realistically I just don’t see it working.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I’m willing to bet that he loves the City and would prefer to stay.
im willing to bet Karlsson is unhappy with the support he didn't receive from the events that happened off ice this year and the cover up of mike Hoffman's GF harassing his wife. I imagine Melynk is a large part of it, but im sure the team' s management is playing a role here too. Its not like Murray years anymore and Dorian seems misplaced in his role.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

WPG
Karlsson

TB
Trouba

OTT
WPG 1st 2019
Myers
Appleton or Petan
Cal Foote
Giardi or Stalman
TB 2nd 2020

Thoughts?

So Tampa trades:
Foote
2nd
Salary dump

For Trouba

Winnipeg trades:
Trouba
Myers
1st
Appleton/Petan

For Karlsson.

I don't think Tampa is paying enough, and I don't see why jets would pay that much. I don't think Ottawa will get that much for Karlsson in the end and I can't see Melynk agreeing to take on Girardi.

Creative though.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Sure is quiet around the league lately.

Perhaps everyone's waiting on Dorion to make up his mind. :dunno:

Well its not like something needs to happen right now. They have until the deadline to do it. I think it gets done before the season starts but even that is far away.

I think Dorian is using this time to see if a team will flinch. It's all he can really do at this point. This deal will likely make or break his career as a GM. At least right now it would. I don't see much light at the tunnel for him either way but at least he can wait out for a better deal. If he can get a team to bite he looks much better and maybe he keeps his job. If he takes his time and doesn't get the deal he wanted what was he supposed to do with his hands tied? If he takes a deal now then it doesn't look like he did all he could. This could be a reason why this lasts until the deadline.

Teamoo

Jan 20, 2016
So Tampa trades:
Foote
2nd
Salary dump

For Trouba

Winnipeg trades:
Trouba
Myers
1st
Appleton/Petan

For Karlsson.

I don't think Tampa is paying enough, and I don't see why jets would pay that much. I don't think Ottawa will get that much for Karlsson in the end and I can't see Melynk agreeing to take on Girardi.

Creative though.

Thanks, I thought I’d take a try.

I figured that Karlsson is top 3 (if not #1) dman in the world so the payment would need to be. I honestly don’t know what the chances are he’d re-sign with the Jets so I assume no sign and trade (but that the city would win him over with its charm and the whole contending thing)

I thought I was fair on the Trouba payment because Foote is a great prospect. Also I am very confident that Trouba would sign in TB for a very reasonable contract (according to rumours, he wants to be there and Yzerman is a gifted GM for re-signing players). Maybe there could be a small add.

Also, I didn’t think Sens fans would complain of the returns. Myers can also be flipped but he’s only due 3.5 (I believe) because his contract was front loaded.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Oh I know, he can sit on his hands as long as he wants.....up until next year's trade deadline, of course. Just speculating that there hasn't been much activity around the league as a result, apart from a few minor RFA signings.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Oh I know, he can sit on his hands as long as he wants.....up until next year's trade deadline, of course. Just speculating that there hasn't been much activity around the league as a result, apart from a few minor RFA signings.

Yea I bet this possible potential deal could be holding things off. There is usually more trades by now after FA started. Panarin, possible Trouba deal, Pacioretty, and maybe some others. They could be waiting for this one.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So Tampa trades:
Foote
2nd
Salary dump

For Trouba

Winnipeg trades:
Trouba
Myers
1st
Appleton/Petan

For Karlsson.

Creative though.

Stralman isn't a salary dump

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Karlsson(extended)

Toronto
Trouba

Ottawa
Winn 1st
Veselainen
Tor 1st
Lijigren
Johnsson

Of course this is IF Karlsson wants to extend in Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad