Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread IV - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Since Trouba doesn't seem to want to stay in Winnipeg what would people say to this:

:sens acquires:
Jacob Trouba
Mason Appleton
Sami Niku
2019 1st

:jets acquires:
Erik Karlsson

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
With raises due to key players, can Winnipeg afford to give EK the $11m per he likely commands?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't see why Karlsson would want to re-sign in OTT just because they have a new owner. As far as he's concerned, it would be a stranger, and I'm betting he'd rather go to a place with a proven track record and a solid ownership and management.

I’m willing to bet that he loves the City and would prefer to stay.

Reactions: SensFactor

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Since Trouba doesn't seem to want to stay in Winnipeg what would people say to this:

:sens acquires:
Jacob Trouba
Mason Appleton
Sami Niku
2019 1st

:jets acquires:
Erik Karlsson

Trouba is showing Lindros-like behaviour. He surely won't stay in Ottawa.

Reactions: JungleBeat

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I think Ottawa is playing this one the right way .

There are a lot of teams that would love to add Karlsson to their line-up.

Karlsson is arguably one of the top 5 players in the league.

Ottawa is not going to give him away for peanuts now.

There will come a time when Ottawa, if Karlsson has not been dealt, will have to lower demands.

That is not a likely outcome.

Someone will cave, Karlsson is a game changer.

Any team of the top 10 teams he joins suddenly becomes a contender.

Few teams can take on that kind of Cap hit. (I assume an extension is in place before the trade)

I'm guessing Vegas will eventually take the plunge give how close they got last year.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

There will come a time when Ottawa, if Karlsson has not been dealt, will have to lower demands.

Few teams can take on that kind of Cap hit. (I assume an extension is in place before the trade)

I'm guessing Vegas will eventually take the plunge give how close they got last year.

There is a bit of pressure to sell. Doesn't mean they have to take lowball offers if that's all that is there now but they are on the clock and most definitely already feel it.

If Karlsson is absolutely leaving Ottawa, then everyone, Ottawa included, would want him out before the season starts.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

Karlsson is a top 5 player in the league. Just behind the likes of McDavid, Glass, Point and Heiskanen.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Someone once said that Cirelli was untouchable in a trade for karlsson.
The way TB devolps players why bother trading for karlsson? Every guy comes into ahl at like 19 with some immediate impact. Ppg. Cirelli Stephens lipanov raddysh gourde ect. They have elite player devolpment.

Reactions: Riverbolt

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
The way TB devolps players why bother trading for karlsson? Every guy comes into ahl at like 19 with some immediate impact. Ppg. Cirelli Stephens lipanov raddysh gourde ect. They have elite player devolpment.

If Tampa develops players so well, why not trade one of those players for Karlsson as they can always develop more.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
If Tampa develops players so well, why not trade one of those players for Karlsson as they can always develop more.

First it should be noted that sign and trades are nothing more than a fantasy of teams with impending UFAs - they don’t happen in the real world. So any team that trades for Karlsson will be trading for a single year of his services, which means we’re talking a rental price, not an extended price. The bidding will determine how high that price goes but nobody is going to offer an elite young talent still on his ELC like Point or Sergachev - that’s just not going to happen.

As far as Cirelli is concerned, while I certainly wouldn’t say he’s untouchable for Karlsson, it also doesn’t make a great deal of sense for the Lightning to trade him. The Lightning have two legitimate 1Cs in Point and Stamkos and a solid 2C in Johnson. But Johnson is not well suited to lower line duty and has been moved to 2RW for that reason. And after Cirelli the pickings are pretty slim at the moment for lower line centers. Paquette is our 4C but he spends half the year out with injuries and the other half playing through them. Conacher is not a guy you want in the lineup on a day-to-day basis. Peca just left in free agency. Howden was traded to acquire McDonagh. Stephens will probably see some NHL time next season but he’s ideally going to be Paquette’s replacement on the fourth line. And Lipanov and ABB aren’t ready yet. So trading Cirelli for a rental no matter how good just doesn’t make a ton of sense for us given our current organizational center depth, especially if you think his offensive production this past season wasn’t a fluke (personally I’m not sure he can maintain that pace long term but others are more bullish on his offensive potential.)

Now all that said if you offer me a year of Karlsson for Cirelli then I’m obviously going to have a hard time turning that down. But I can understand why people would be hesitant.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Karlsson is a top 5 player in the league. Just behind the likes of McDavid, Glass, Point and Heiskanen.

This is an absurd comparison to make. Glass and Heiskanen despite their potential have yet to set a skate on NHL ice. Sergachev (who you didn’t mention) has already looked very good at the NHL level but ultimately he too has most of his value in his future potential. Point is coming off a 32 goal, 66 point season with elite shutdown defensive play against other teams’ top lines. He’s one of the best young centers in the game, and he’s still on his ELC making less than $700k (not including bonuses) next season. It’s ridiculous to lump him in with unproven prospects and there’s no chance in hell Karlsson is worth him.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
First it should be noted that sign and trades are nothing more than a fantasy of teams with impending UFAs - they don’t happen in the real world. So any team that trades for Karlsson will be trading for a single year of his services, which means we’re talking a rental price, not an extended price. The bidding will determine how high that price goes but nobody is going to offer an elite young talent still on his ELC like Point or Sergachev - that’s just not going to happen.

As far as Cirelli is concerned, while I certainly wouldn’t say he’s untouchable for Karlsson, it also doesn’t make a great deal of sense for the Lightning to trade him. The Lightning have two legitimate 1Cs in Point and Stamkos and a solid 2C in Johnson. But Johnson is not well suited to lower line duty and has been moved to 2RW for that reason. And after Cirelli the pickings are pretty slim at the moment for lower line centers. Paquette is our 4C but he spends half the year out with injuries and the other half playing through them. Conacher is not a guy you want in the lineup on a day-to-day basis. Peca just left in free agency. Howden was traded to acquire McDonagh. Stephens will probably see some NHL time next season but he’s ideally going to be Paquette’s replacement on the fourth line. And Lipanov and ABB aren’t ready yet. So trading Cirelli for a rental no matter how good just doesn’t make a ton of sense for us given our current organizational center depth, especially if you think his offensive production this past season wasn’t a fluke (personally I’m not sure he can maintain that pace long term but others are more bullish on his offensive potential.)

Now all that said if you offer me a year of Karlsson for Cirelli then I’m obviously going to have a hard time turning that down. But I can understand why people would be hesitant.

there you have it folks.

A straight up trade of Cirelli for Karlsson deserves some hesitancy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Depends which one. Point is pretty much the only guy we've taken off the table. And that's because of center depth.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
This is an absurd comparison to make. Glass and Heiskanen despite their potential have yet to set a skate on NHL ice. Sergachev (who you didn’t mention) has already looked very good at the NHL level but ultimately he too has most of his value in his future potential. Point is coming off a 32 goal, 66 point season with elite shutdown defensive play against other teams’ top lines. He’s one of the best young centers in the game, and he’s still on his ELC making less than $700k (not including bonuses) next season. It’s ridiculous to lump him in with unproven prospects and there’s no chance in hell Karlsson is worth him.
You obviously missed the joke brah

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
You obviously missed the joke brah

No, I didn’t. He’s sarcastically mocking the fact that teams don’t want to part with their best young talent for Karlsson. I’m pointing out that it’s absurd to lump Point - a proven elite young player in the NHL - with prospects who have yet to set a skate on NHL ice. It’s one thing to think a team should give up its top prospect for Karlsson (though even that is a massive overpayment IMO); it’s quite another to think a team should give up a young elite two-way 1C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad