Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread Part II - NORRIS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuthlessLieutenant

Sep 4, 2009
Kingston
If it were my decision, the only players I would use on the OT would be fast skaters as a slow skater would be a vulnerability. My choices would be limited to:
Karlsson
Turris
Dzingel
Pageau
Pyatt
Ceci
Wideman

Those who would never see the ice would be:
Phaneuf
Borowiecki
Kelly
Neil
Stone
Ryan
Lazar

Those who might get a chance:
Brassard
Smith
Methot

Did you omit Hoffman or just forget him? He's one of (if not the) fastest guy on our team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He had a good look and thought shoot. He's a huge point getter so you kind of have to take his side that he felt he had a good chance. He would know better than anyone posting here.
But really, that goal was mainly Stone's fault. Stone is the F3 when there are ONLY 3 skaters on the ice. What's the first thing he does coming over the boards? He rushes up ice past the last BlueJacket leaving that guy alone behind EVERYONE. You never leave another player in between the goalie and your team. That is pretty basic.
Even if that shot was a save/rebound into the slot, all the defence has to do is chip it out and they have the same rush going the other way because there was a man left unmarked outside the blue line. Stone's lapse of judgment guaranteed a breakaway if the Bluejackets get possession.

We have the puck. That's when we get open.... and they try to cover us

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
3v3 line up

Stone - Hoffman - Karlsson (Smith or Brassard can come in for faceoff only)

Turris - Dzingle - Wideman/Karlsson

Pageau - Ryan/Pyatt - Ceci/Karlsson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Karlsson should have dropped the puck to Stone who is the best passer on the team, he was wide open & could have made a decent play or shoot from the middle of the ice. Instead Karlsson shoots from the wing, misses the net & the puck goes careens all the way around the boards & out of the zone. Both Ceci & Stone are moving forward & have no chance to stop & get back, same for Karlsson, it was another bone head move by him that night but these guys never think they are going to miss. :shakehead

Mar 14, 2015
Karlsson should have dropped the puck to Stone who is the best passer on the team, he was wide open & could have made a decent play or shoot from the middle of the ice. Instead Karlsson shoots from the wing, misses the net & the puck goes careens all the way around the boards & out of the zone. Both Ceci & Stone are moving forward & have no chance to stop & get back, same for Karlsson, it was another bone head move by him that night but these guys never think they are going to miss. :shakehead

Stone is a better passer then Karlsson?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Stone is a better passer then Karlsson?

For sure.

Still to try and make a scapegoat on that is just frustration talking.

Wish it did the happen but they were trying to win the game and Atkinson got lucky.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Karlsson is a more creative passer while Stone is a smarter passer. (They are elite at both types)

It's like Spezza vs Alfredsson.

However I choose Karlsson, he makes those passes that make you think "how did he see that".

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
For sure.

Still to try and make a scapegoat on that is just frustration talking.

Wish it did the happen but they were trying to win the game and Atkinson got lucky.

Lol! EK is a top 3 passer in the league and Stone is... top 50, top 100?

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I think in close Stone is a better passer. Karlsson is much better at stretch passes

No, just no. EK is the best passer on the Sens in all situations and by a wide margin. He was the first D-man to lead the league in assists since Orr remember? He's probobly the best playmaker in the NHL and Stone isn't even a playmaker.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
You can have your opinion but to run Stone down to make your point is silly.

Stone is a great passer and to me a better passer than Karlsson..they have different styles so hard to compare but Stones shifty little passes are sick.

Karlsson is obviously amazing but he gets a lot of assists because he has the puck a lot and shoots a lot too.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
There were 4 instances where Flames(3+ by Gaudreau) had 1on1's with EK and EK effectively stripped them of the puck or isolated them away from it.

In OT, Gaudreau yet again had a chance to go 1on1 with EK but actually stopped back and reversed the play, where they ended up losing it too.

It's amazing how fast Karlsson adapts to his weaknesses and addresses them, let alone turn them into strengths.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Karlsson's defence is 10 times better this season, but the offensive output has regressed.

Does Ottawa benefit more from this Karlsson, who might hit 65 points, than last season's who was the first defenceman in a couple of decades to go ppg?

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Karlsson's defence is 10 times better this season, but the offensive output has regressed.

Does Ottawa benefit more from this Karlsson, who might hit 65 points, than last season's who was the first defenceman in a couple of decades to go ppg?

I suggest more offense from Karlsson. Now the coach is waiting to be down two goals before releasing the beast, and that might be too late in the long run. I think his hands and offensive instincts look as good as ever this season but he seems to be told not to use it too much. That´s a little bit sad if you ask me.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I suggest more offense from Karlsson. Now the coach is waiting to be down two goals before releasing the beast, and that might be too late in the long run. I think his hands and offensive instincts look as good as ever this season but he seems to be told not to use it too much. That´s a little bit sad if you ask me.

He would of had more points if he decided to shoot more than elect for those cross ice passes. He used to just find a seam and throw everything on net. Seldom does it now and when he does its not at a particularly good time

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

Defenceman, in the Boucher's system are asked to be very active in all three Zone. Karlsson isn't asked to not go and score and Boucher said it numerous time.

If Karlsson has less point, it is because A) The team has struggle to scored at some point this season B) Karlsson, while being good at finding the open lane to shoot the puck seems less effective than previous year. I suggest that Karlsson go back to wrist just for rebound like he used to do in season were he scored 20+goals. Not he try the big slapper everytime. It doesn't work.

Also, the team isn't playing a run and gun style of play that might effect on Karlsson point production.. But sincerely.. Who cares.

I prefer a Karlsson that scored 10 less point but is going to be scored on 20 less goal. Karlsson was the most scored dman last year, if i'm not mistaken. Not this year because he play a way more focus defensive game while having a VERY good offensive season.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
He would of had more points if he decided to shoot more than elect for those cross ice passes. He used to just find a seam and throw everything on net. Seldom does it now and when he does its not at a particularly good time

Agreed.

It might just be my imagination but it seems to me that with the lower minutes overall he seems less ready to just take over in OT. Seems that last year he'd just effortlessly take ridiculously long shifts at the end of the game and he looks like he's huffing and puffing more now.

I'm not sure this is actually worse than last year just an interesting result.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Agreed.

It might just be my imagination but it seems to me that with the lower minutes overall he seems less ready to just take over in OT. Seems that last year he'd just effortlessly take ridiculously long shifts at the end of the game and he looks like he's huffing and puffing more now.

I'm not sure this is actually worse than last year just an interesting result.

Karlsson ran out of gas by the end of the last season.

This year with the World Cup and everything and the fact he's played so many minutes the last few years, it might just be all catching up with him. He probably should take the All-Star game off and just take the one game suspension to get some rest.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Five Questions with Erik Karlsson

Link: https://www.nhl.com/news/five-questions-with-senators-erik-karlsson/c-286256166?tid=278387990

Most notable question and answer;

NHL.com said:
OK, so how does your game fit into this system? Because you play a freestyle type of game. Do you have to be more conscientious? Is Guy on you to be more conscientious? Or is he letting you play your game?

Karlsson said:
"No, I think I'm still playing my game. I think I've obviously changed my game a lot coming into this year, but not in a bad way. It's the way I have to play right now for us to win games and we're winning games. That's the most important part. Whether it's different or not, it's working and it's part of evolving as a player. As of right now, yeah, I do play very different. I do play very defensive. I don't get any rushes, but at the end of the day we keep winning and I think we're doing a great job as a team. I think everybody has bought into it, and I know if I'm not going to do it most guys won't. I've got to give it to the whole team, I think everybody changed a lot, not only me, and at the end of the day we're doing well right now, we're happy with where we're at and we know we can do even better."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad