Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread Part II - NORRIS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
How can you ignore 82 points. Also Doughty's interview was so smug.

"I'm not really about the individual awards, I'm more about winning Stanley Cups." - Due Doughty

Try playing with Bobby Ryan and the gang as your forwards and see how many Cups you win.

Karlsson's career legacy will blow Doughty's out of the water. People will look back at this as one of the biggest Norris snubs of all time.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
What a **** evening with Sweden being knocked out the Euros, and then Doughty winning the norris solely on compensation for being so close many times.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I don't really care that Karlsson didn't win the Norris, but it sure is annoying sifting through the many idiots on the main board who use this as justification for their "Karlsson sucks" crusade.

Last edited by a moderator:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well, Doughty now has his "We didn't give him a Conn Smythe when he won 2 cups so I guess we'll give him a Norris" award. I didn't know you could win awards retroactively for past achievements, but apparently I was wrong.

I hope this means Mark Stone is eligible for the Calder this year. His 64 points in 80 games from 2014-15 is probably a pretty strong contender for next season's award.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I look forward to seeing Shea Weber win next season because the Writer's Association realise that he was real good 3-4 years ago and feel like they snubbed him back then, so he should have one too.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No worries. Drew will be Drew Who? in 30 years, while Erik's name will be cemented with Orr and Lidstrom.

Besides, after Doughty looked like complete garbage in the playoffs this year after his campaign for the Norris, there is a lot of writers with massive egg on their faces right now. He's not going to get more than a handful high votes ever again.

Drew royally screwed himself over not only with his campaign, but with how he reacted after winning it (the crocodile tears) and his idiotic comments afterwards.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Karlsson was still a first team all-star.

So led league in assists
4th in points
1st team all-star

I believe that with how Erik himself described his season as disappointing, and how he wants to play better and be more consistent... Karlsson likely thinks this was a "meh" season, which is extraordinary if he really feeks he can play a lot better.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I'm okay with him not winning it (I think he deserved it, but I understand differing opinions) but leaving him off your ballot is a joke. Wouldn't have mattered but a joke nonetheless.

and for all the media claiming there was no agenda to get him a Norris... I can't see how they'd still think that way after those votes. CLEARLY, some voters had such an agenda.

Personally, I love Doughty but don't think he's as good as some other dmen that don't get the media push from the Canadian media (Hedman especially). He's very good defensively but that entire team defends and it makes life a lot easier on dmen. I don't think he's the elite defender some claim. Very, very, good - but he turns it over more than he should and he gets beat just like every dman.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
As a fan, I really wanted him to win it but then I ask myself, how much would a 3-6 time norris winner cost the sens in cap space and maybe think that this is now one less card that newport can play in 2017-2019, better in the long run for management? I mean you always hope for the best result with minimal cost right?

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
As a fan, I really wanted him to win it but then I ask myself, how much would a 3-6 time norris winner cost the sens in cap space and maybe think that this is now one less card that newport can play in 2017-2019, better in the long run for management? I mean you always hope for the best result with minimal cost right?

Pay the man whatever he wants. He's been our team for the last few years now. He deserves any and all the money thats coming to him.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Pay the man whatever he wants. He's been our team for the last few years now. He deserves any and all the money thats coming to him.

100% he deserves a huge raise but when we think about depth and managing the roster, you always hope for tier 1 results with sweetheart deals so that you can create the depth that's needed.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
100% he deserves a huge raise but when we think about depth and managing the roster, you always hope for tier 1 results with sweetheart deals so that you can create the depth that's needed.

Meh, I'm sure Karlsson, his management and Sens management are all aware of who should have been the actual Norris winner this year. I doubt his strong nomination being defeated by a flimsy narrative changes much in contract negotiations.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
This snub is kind of mind-blowing but I'm fine with it because:

- I expected it to happen
- I didn't expect him to win last year so it evens out

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Congrats to Drew. Found it funny when they were showing the montage of each player and Drew basically had "highest plus minus of career" as his highlight.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I'm okay with him not winning it (I think he deserved it, but I understand differing opinions) but leaving him off your ballot is a joke. Wouldn't have mattered but a joke nonetheless.

and for all the media claiming there was no agenda to get him a Norris... I can't see how they'd still think that way after those votes. CLEARLY, some voters had such an agenda.

Personally, I love Doughty but don't think he's as good as some other dmen that don't get the media push from the Canadian media (Hedman especially). He's very good defensively but that entire team defends and it makes life a lot easier on dmen. I don't think he's the elite defender some claim. Very, very, good - but he turns it over more than he should and he gets beat just like every dman.

When I watched Doughty, games vs the Sens and the playoffs, Doughty struggled and was not as good as Karlsson defensively. I am sure he was much better in other games, but he is not some monster elite defensive D-Man. He isn't NJ Scott Stevens, or Lidstrom or Chicago era Chelios that almost never made mistakes and absolutely dominated the ice defensively.

I don't think Weber was that ever either.

If a far lower scoring Defenceman is to beat Karlsson, he better be playing like Stevens or Langway defensively.

I actually think if we add the playoffs to the season the best defenceman of the 15/16 season are Burns and Letang.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Lol. Like it matters! He led the league in assists, was 4th in points and a first team all-star. Him being second for the Norris in 2015/16 will have absolutely no baring on his contract negotiations in 3/4 years.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
This snub will actually be better for the Sens and Karlsson. He'll have a bit of a chip on his shoulder next year, and will likely be motivated to be even better.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Karlsson got robbed.

I hope this motivates him to be even better.

On the flip side, Doughty will go back to being a good #1/ 40 point guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad