Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread Part II - NORRIS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
and he is canadian

Like I said before, Burns created a Personality and Brand. Same reason why PK got a Norris. Same reason why a guy like Tebow has a following. Same with Don Cherry. Make yourself a commodity and a cult following, and you can get anything.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Like I said before, Burns created a Personality and Brand. Same reason why PK got a Norris. Same reason why a guy like Tebow has a following. Same with Don Cherry. Make yourself a commodity and a cult following, and you can get anything.

No, Burns is producing goals at an unheard of pace, leading both goals and points by double digits in 50 games.

He has just flat out been the best offensive D by a wide margin this season, on a playoff team. That's why he's a lock for the Norris ATM. Nothing to do with personality or brand, that's foolish.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
No, Burns is producing goals at an unheard of pace, leading both goals and points by double digits in 50 games.

He has just flat out been the best offensive D by a wide margin this season, on a playoff team. That's why he's a lock for the Norris ATM. Nothing to do with personality or brand, that's foolish.

And Karlsson was producing points at an unheard pace just last season and lost to a guy with many points less. Karlsson was the flat out best offensive D by a wide margin last season and he was never seen as a front runner for the Norris and that is likely due to his lack of brand that Burns seems to be relishing on.

Burns deserves the Norris this year but to not believe his overall persona plays a role in this is inaccurate IMO.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And Karlsson was producing points at an unheard pace just last season and lost to a guy with many points less. Karlsson was the flat out best offensive D by a wide margin last season and he was never seen as a front runner for the Norris and that is likely due to his lack of brand that Burns seems to be relishing on.

Burns deserves the Norris this year but to not believe his overall persona plays a role in this is inaccurate IMO.

Karlsson never won because the Norris winner has never gone to a guy on a non-playoff team.

His persona really doesn't. He's doing more than what Karlsson did last year offensively, on a guaranteed playoff team.

People are ****ing delusional about Karlsson not being considered the #1 guy year in year out.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

He did but Cherry had a big part in that put it this way if Burns was anything but Canadian/American he would not get the love he gets.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Karlsson never won because the Norris winner has never gone to a guy on a non-playoff team.

His persona really doesn't. He's doing more than what Karlssin did last year offensively, on a guaranteed playoff team.

People are ****ing delusional about Karlsson not being considered the #1 guy year in year out.

Doughty was being chimed in as the favourite in the Norris race even before the Sens fell out of the playoff race and I'm still of the belief that individual awards should not be based on an overall team success but thats a discussion for another day.

I disagree whole-heartidly that Burns is doing more than what Karlsson did last season but I'll assume you value goals more than the complete offensive game that Karlsson showed last season. Persona will always play a role whether you believe it or not. It's part of our human nature to gravitate to certain things and in this case, that thing is Burns. He's got a lovable attitude, a fantastic beard, he's huge and whether it makes a difference or not, he's Canadian.

Your last point, I'm not sure who thats directed towards considering I just said Burns deserves the Norris this year. I am not, nor will I ever be all in on Erik Karlsson. I am simply arguing for the role that a brand can play in promoting someone on something.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It's not really an unheard of pace, Mike Green had 31 goals in 68 games. Even when you adjust for era (to account for the much higher # of PPs) Green comes out slightly ahead in terms of pace, though you can certainly make a case that Green had a fair bit more support with OV, Semin and Backstrom.

I agree he deserves the recognition he's getting though. It's a tough league for a Dman to score 20 in little lone 30 and while Karlsson may be having a norris caliber season himself, it's not quite as good as Burns' season so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad