Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread Part II - NORRIS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I don't care if he wins the Norris anymore. I hope he gets first team all star though. Which would be his 4th time.

It actually feels good to have a team to cheer for versus just hoping Karlsson gets a ppg or the assist title or a Norris.

If we can finish 2nd in the division we can play the team below us in 3rd and have home ice in the playoffs. If we win that series we could face another beatable team in Montreal or the wild card team.

I am hoping for the Eastern Conference finals and then maybe anything can happen.

Honestly I think us fans might care more about the Norris Trophy then Karlsson does. I think Karlsson is itching for a long playoff run. And right now we are in a decent position to not just make the playoffs but have favorable matchups as well as a second seed.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Coaches should tell there players not to shoot like that in 3 v 3 overtime just because of the consequences of what can happen if you miss.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Coaches should tell there players not to shoot like that in 3 v 3 overtime just because of the consequences of what can happen if you miss.

I think Karlsson knows that. I don't think he intended to miss and send the puck off the boards out to the other team for a breakaway.

I think Karlsson understands as well as anyone in the world the risk and potentially awful outcome of the play he made. And he knows it was on him. He obviously was not at all intending for that to happen.

Best scenario is everyone, especially Karlsson forgets about it, goes out earlier tonight and have a few beers and enjoy the point and being on a hot streak and then forget about this game entirely and get ready for the next game tomorrow.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What are you guys talking about. He was first man into the rush with no support. It's Stone who messed up not covering for Ceci.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Dang. That was probably the dumbest decision by Karlsson in a long time. There has got to be a rule in OT never to shoot on a rush from the wall like that...

So, its pretty much dont shoot at all in OT. This was not on him. Putting second D in Ceci and slow Stone with him was mistake. One of them needed to backup Karlsson.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's everyone's fault. Karlsson for the shot. But I mean come on. The other two just joining he rush from way back. One guy stay back no?

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
What are you guys talking about. He was first man into the rush with no support. It's Stone who messed up not covering for Ceci.

So, its pretty much dont shoot at all in OT. This was not on him. Putting second D in Ceci and slow Stone with him was mistake. One of them needed to backup Karlsson.

Nope. 9 times out of 10 he would stop and start cycling the puck with Stone. 3-on-3 is all about puck possession, you just don't shoot these low percentage shots on the net. Ceci and Stone did everything right.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Nope. 9 times out of 10 he would stop and start cycling the puck with Stone. 3-on-3 is all about puck possession, you just don't shoot these low percentage shots on the net. Ceci and Stone did everything right.

Yeah he would start the cycle. Yet neither if the two held the blueline for that option lol.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

he was in a very good shooting position and probably saw a hole which he obviously missed.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
he was in a very good shooting position and probably saw a hole which he obviously missed.

No he wasn't. It's an ok spot if you are playing 5v5, but not 3v3 on the rush.

He shots from the high right cercle.

3v3 is all about possession and Karlsson probably saw an hole but it wasn't the right play to do. There is no excuse to give Karlsson it was a bad decision.

That being said, Ceci and Stone were not in a really good spot either. The fault isn't only on Karlsson. But with Karlsson GREAT IQ.. he should have known that it wasn't the greatest play.

Other topic,is it me or Karlsson always try top shelf? He should try more to shot for rebound like he was doing in the past. We need more of that.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
No he wasn't. It's an ok spot if you are playing 5v5, but not 3v3 on the rush.

He shots from the high right cercle.

3v3 is all about possession and Karlsson probably saw an hole but it wasn't the right play to do. There is no excuse to give Karlsson it was a bad decision.

That being said, Ceci and Stone were not in a really good spot either. The fault isn't only on Karlsson. But with Karlsson GREAT IQ.. he should have known that it wasn't the greatest play.

Other topic,is it me or Karlsson always try top shelf? He should try more to shot for rebound like he was doing in the past. We need more of that.

I agree, terrible shot selection...and he is not Turris who is probably the only person who could score from there (honorable mention to Hoff).

Someone should have been covering though. he was in first, and if you change him up with a forward...what's the difference in 3 on 3, and with HIM on our team?

I think Ceci should have been closer to Cam there more than anyone...but a bad play overall from all three on the ice. And of course luck too.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

He had a good look and thought shoot. He's a huge point getter so you kind of have to take his side that he felt he had a good chance. He would know better than anyone posting here.
But really, that goal was mainly Stone's fault. Stone is the F3 when there are ONLY 3 skaters on the ice. What's the first thing he does coming over the boards? He rushes up ice past the last BlueJacket leaving that guy alone behind EVERYONE. You never leave another player in between the goalie and your team. That is pretty basic.
Even if that shot was a save/rebound into the slot, all the defence has to do is chip it out and they have the same rush going the other way because there was a man left unmarked outside the blue line. Stone's lapse of judgment guaranteed a breakaway if the Bluejackets get possession.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He had a good look and thought shoot. He's a huge point getter so you kind of have to take his side that he felt he had a good chance. He would know better than anyone posting here.
But really, that goal was mainly Stone's fault. Stone is the F3 when there are ONLY 3 skaters on the ice. What's the first thing he does coming over the boards? He rushes up ice past the last BlueJacket leaving that guy alone behind EVERYONE. You never leave another player in between the goalie and your team. That is pretty basic.
Even if that shot was a save/rebound into the slot, all the defence has to do is chip it out and they have the same rush going the other way because there was a man left unmarked outside the blue line. Stone's lapse of judgment guaranteed a breakaway if the Bluejackets get possession.

Meh. 3 on 3 is about taking risks to break down the opposition's defence. Stone put himself in a position to give Karlsson 2 options, shoot or pass. Any time you create an odd man rush it leaves you open to an odd man rush the other direction. The way the goals were going in, I have no issue with guys cheating offensively to try and get the bonus point. Risk/reward and unfortunately we ended up on the wrong side of the ledger.

edit: I should mention, I didn't catch the game, so I'm really only going off the description and still pic. I just feel that you got to take risks to create offense in 3v3, otherwise you're just playing for the shootout.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Looking at that screen shot I don't think Stone deserves the blame. You're trying to win the game, he got a step ahead of Atkinson and if Karlsson delivers the pass as he probably should have [and often would have] then you have a great chance to win that game. Karlsson's shot was a low percentage shot, particularly bad in a 3 on 3 situation, and missing the net from there is a big no-no. I think Karlsson is mainly at fault here.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
My intention wasn't to play the blame game actually. I just meant that it wasn't all Karlsson's fault. Just pointing out that EK may have taken a risk with that shot, Stone also took a risk.
Anyway, not a big deal. OT 3 on 3 is bizarre. Hard to have any structure whatsoever.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
My intention wasn't to play the blame game actually. I just meant that it wasn't all Karlsson's fault. Just pointing out that EK may have taken a risk with that shot, Stone also took a risk.
Anyway, not a big deal. OT 3 on 3 is bizarre. Hard to have any structure whatsoever.

And it wasn't. Karlsson made 1 mistake. Stone and Ceci were not in an appropriate place when you know the result. But it wasn't all Karlsson or all Stone or all Ceci. Karlsson should have probably play it safe. Wait for Stone to come give it to him change for another fresh forward or D.. and try to establish possession until an opening occured.

Anyway, it's kind of hypocrite and i should say not fair to point only 1 player when there is a goal scored. When you analyse every goal, 95% of the time you can find several mistake before THE mistake who lead to the goal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Agreed. Stone definitely took a risk there to help create offense. As did Karlsson by shooting from where he did (based on what I've read, I haven't seen the play yet...) I think maybe with the goalies letting in 6 goals a piece by that point, Karlsson probably felt confident that any decent scoring chance was worth shooting on and perhaps with bad ice late in a game he didn't want to risk a pass being bobbled wiping out a scoring chance.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Ceci is the extra defender and Karlsson and Stone are our 2 leading point scorers. Why the **** is Ceci pinching with his 1 goal on the season. No way in hell was he gonna score in almost any scenario. He should have planted himself at the blueline, which is what we always do in OT. Even if Karlsson slowed down and cycled it, no way should Ceci be further than 2 feet away from the blueline.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
On a rush like that I don't think you expect a player to try and defend.

Stone was making it an odd man rush...if anything Atkinson wasn't in a good position but it worked out for him.

I think Karlsson might like the shot selection back but a fine play that just didn't go our way...what a crazy display of speed and burst up that wing tho.

I saw shades of him against Kane last year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If it were my decision, the only players I would use on the OT would be fast skaters as a slow skater would be a vulnerability. My choices would be limited to:
Karlsson
Turris
Dzingel
Pageau
Pyatt
Ceci
Wideman

Those who would never see the ice would be:
Phaneuf
Borowiecki
Kelly
Neil
Stone
Ryan
Lazar

Those who might get a chance:
Brassard
Smith
Methot

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i think you guys are over analyzing this. As a three man unit its all their faults to an extent though its hard in OT as a lot of risks are taken. Playing safe in 3 vs 3 OT rarely works

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Watching the screenshot. Stone is at 0 fault because he was in a good position for Karlsson to pass him the puck for a better shot.

Karlsson is partly at fault for not actually passing the puck or trying to keep a cycle going on maybe try to cut to the net with that much open ice for a better shot.

Ceci is also at the fault here for going all in and not patrolling the blue line and being aware of one guy floating behind him, while being a defender.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ceci is the extra defender and Karlsson and Stone are our 2 leading point scorers. Why the **** is Ceci pinching with his 1 goal on the season. No way in hell was he gonna score in almost any scenario. He should have planted himself at the blueline, which is what we always do in OT. Even if Karlsson slowed down and cycled it, no way should Ceci be further than 2 feet away from the blueline.

Ceci rushing spread the day out allowing stone to find some empty space. Without ceci, the defenders can be much more agressive and negate the chance. Cecil was driving the net for the rebound and spending out the d. Nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad