Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Idk why ppl are underrating Lajoie so much... he easily has two way top-4D potential.

I wouldn't say easily. But he has def shown glimpses of top 4 D ability.

Per their career trajectories, I’m way higher on Brannstrom than I was Chabot at his age.

?

Chabot at 19 won CHL defender of the year playing only 35 games. Torched the playoffs, he then ended up becoming first ever defender to win MVP at the juniors with unbelievable all-around performance.

Chabot's trajectory screamed superstar as much as any other. Brannstrom I'd say is on the same level but Chabot has the strength and height to transition that level of success, which he has. Let's see if Brannstrom does the same.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
My only concern with Lajoie is his skating. I think he could be a solid middle pairing D, but that is his absolute ceiling. Unless he improves his skating, he will always be a 4/5/6.

Lajoie's best attribute is his skating. I really do feel that the grind of the season and the minutes he played took it's toll on him. I wont argue his skating was holding him back later in the season but knowing what I know and seeing what i've seen I do believe it was because of fatigue.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
My only concern with Lajoie is his skating. I think he could be a solid middle pairing D, but that is his absolute ceiling. Unless he improves his skating, he will always be a 4/5/6.

Im not sure if we watching same Lajoie. His skating, rushing, and gap control is really, really good. His biggest problem is strength, gets out-muscled, but that makes sense he is young, but that's why he's become worn down; playing a shutdown role while not being properly physically developed to handle that grind, and he isn't overly big. His skating has always been his best strength.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I wouldn't say easily. But he has def shown glimpses of top 4 D ability.

?

Chabot at 19 won CHL defender of the year playing only 35 games. Torched the playoffs, he then ended up becoming first ever defender to win MVP at the juniors with unbelievable all-around performance.

Chabot's trajectory screamed superstar as much as any other. Brannstrom I'd say is on the same level but Chabot has the strength and height to transition that level of success, which he has. Let's see if Brannstrom does the same.

Chabots trophy case from that yr is insane

Led DMen in the WJHC in goals & assists (and obviously pts)... won MVP... led Q DMen in points per game... won Dman of the yr despite missing half of the season... was 4th in Q playoffs in scoring, had 8 more pts than any DMan (while playing fewer games), was +29 in 18 games (+9 better than anyone else), led DMen in goals & assists (and obviously pts).... won MVP

I am probably missing a few things too

Brannstrom is amazing and could be the better player, as you said he doesnt have the physical advantage which, at this age especially, is both a positive and a negative, but lets not compare him to Chabot or EK just yet. Not fair to him and sets us up to be disappointed even if he turns out to be an excellent player

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Im not sure if we watching same Lajoie. His skating, rushing, and gap control is really, really good. His biggest problem is strength, gets out-muscled, but that makes sense he is young, but that's why he's become worn down; playing a shutdown role while not being properly physically developed to handle that grind, and he isn't overly big. His skating has always been his best strength.

Uh, I'm not saying he's a bad skater but his line speed is average at best. I don't his skating was his best strength. Puck moving and puck handling yeah, but skating? Don't think so. Maybe MrCraigAnderson is right, maybe he was tired but there were numerous instances where I noticed he was slow getting back.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Just listened to his interview on TSN1200, loved how he said he preferred the smaller ice in NA because he has less time and the choices he makes with the puck are more automatic .

Can’t wait until he meets his mentor/D partner in Ottawa

I laughed so hard when i was watching the game and Ceci did this. I was kind of hoping Washington would score right after.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Uh, I'm not saying he's a bad skater but his line speed is average at best. I don't his skating was his best strength. Puck moving and puck handling yeah, but skating? Don't think so. Maybe MrCraigAnderson is right, maybe he was tired but there were numerous instances where I noticed he was slow getting back.

I've been watching Lajoie since junior and he's always been a ++ skater. Mobility is, and always has been, his biggest strength.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Agreed with all of this, particularly the getting out muscled part. He defends guys well but ultimately loses a lot of plays because he is small. I'm hoping he can fill out a bit more over the next few seasons and develop into a defender in the mold Hjalmarsson.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You got to wonder what Kypreos has against the Senators, I get there's a lot of reasons to be negative but this guy takes something that is positive flips it around.

Listening to Hockey Central at noon from tuesday and this is what he says regarding Brannstrom

"He better turn out, he better be as good as all the scouts are saying but there's others that think...you just can't be 100% sure. You know he's a mid 1st round pick. He's not a top 5 or 7, he's a mid round guy, that's got a chance"

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You got to wonder what Kypreos has against the Senators, I get there's a lot of reasons to be negative but this guy takes something that is positive flips it around.

Listening to Hockey Central at noon from tuesday and this is what he says regarding Brannstrom

"He better turn out, he better be as good as all the scouts are saying but there's others that think...you just can't be 100% sure. You know he's a mid 1st round pick. He's not a top 5 or 7, he's a mid round guy, that's got a chance"

He's the biggest Maple leafs homer that Sportsnet has on their payroll, and he doesnt even really try to hide it. He's never, ever had anything positive to say about the Senators.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
He's not wrong though. Brannstrom better be a star because we literally got nothing else for our signed superstar forward.

Duclair has a lot of skill and potential. Could be a notch better than Dzingel, or even could be a top line player.

Abramov has some top 6 potential, too, so lets wait and see. Plus, we have a couple of 1st and 2nd round picks too, that can turn out to be something great

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

No one pointed out to him where we picked Karlsson?

Since he's been drafted, Brannstrom has done nothing but improve his standing. If Kypreos really wants to play this game, he should understand we traded a 6th round pick for a 1st and a 2nd.

I know there are no guarantees, but Brannstrom's development should inspire a lot of confidence.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He's not wrong though. Brannstrom better be a star because we literally got nothing else for our signed superstar forward.

Brannstrom does need to turn out and Dorion is making a bit of a gamble but rather than talk about the progression Brannstrom has made or how he is starting to answer the questions that were the reason he wasn't taken earlier he uses his draft position as a negative, he tries to to diminish the positive things that are said about him by pretty much everyone else.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Just listened to his interview on TSN1200, loved how he said he preferred the smaller ice in NA because he has less time and the choices he makes with the puck are more automatic .

Can’t wait until he meets his mentor/D partner in Ottawa

#5 killing it as usual

Reactions: NB613

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Duclair has a lot of skill and potential. Could be a notch better than Dzingel, or even could be a top line player.

Abramov has some top 6 potential, too, so lets wait and see. Plus, we have a couple of 1st and 2nd round picks too, that can turn out to be something great

I'm talking about the Stone return.

R2010

May 23, 2011
He's pretty well a guaranteed cost-controlled top 4 D-man with a decent chance at top 2. Getting that is a lot better than losing Stone via FA. With Stone signing it would have been nice to get more but with him leaving getting at top 4/top 6 future was important.

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Kypreos is a toronto media mouth piece with an uncontrolled anti ottawa take on everything.

Lebrun said yesterday on 1200 that the return on Stone was excellent. He also said he's spoken to several nhl execs since the tdl all of whom commented quite favourably on the young talent ottawa has assembled.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Which is all well and nice. But I think that he was talking about Stone..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad