Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Wouldn't the bigger ice surface actually make the skating even more important, as you need to cover more space both defensively and offensively?

I mean, Klingberg isn't a speedster either, but still manages to pretty much always be in the right spot (kind of the style the Rundblad had).

Some player's game just doesn't translate to NHL

Stone can't skate yet he is a superstar in this league, just relying on his hand skills, and yes I know he is a really smart players, too

Reactions: crossbownerf

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Wouldn't the bigger ice surface actually make the skating even more important, as you need to cover more space both defensively and offensively?

I mean, Klingberg isn't a speedster either, but still manages to pretty much always be in the right spot (kind of the style the Rundblad had).

The difference between Kling and Rund is speed of execution imo. Which is related to hockey IQ... Kling isn’t fast foot-speed wise but he’s ahead of most players in the league in terms of IQ and speed of execution
+ decision making. Pretty much like Stone. So the lack of footspeed is not a big deal. Rundblad lacked speed both in his legs and in his brain, that’s why it didn’t work out in the NHL. Just my 2 cents!

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
He is NHL ready right now. The only reason why you would be keeping him in the AHL would be financial and expansion draft reasons, right?

He has already played professionally in Sweden, been playing against men for awhile now.

He was my favorite player in the entire organization and I only got to see #12 play live twice.

This kid is all offense; I can’t imagine what he is going to be like with added confidence 5 years down the road. I’ve seen him draw penalties in the offensive zone behind the opposing net against NHL players as a 19 year old defender. And he is a little bulldog; he will carry the puck right to the front of the net. And he’s hard to knock off the puck, short, solid and squat; I doubt he is as tall as 5’10.

But he is tenacious at that stature, always looking to shoot. He is fun to watch because he creates chaos when he is on the ice, some off it admittedly is bad as you tend to get with this type of defender.

I saw both Brannstrom and Glass on the ice at the same time and Glass appeared much more boyish, more timid, not as filled out, which makes sense because Glass plays in the WHL.

Reactions: NB613 and Senscore

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So do we trade Wolanin for a RHD ???As its pretty crowded on the left with skilled PMD

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
One other thing: I truly believe that the only reason Vegas gave up this prospect was the added allure of Stone being a Brandon WheatKing and the whole Manitoba/McCrimmon thing we got going on down here. Reaves last year, Stone this year, he seems to like to round up his guys.

I also truly wonder if Dorian asked for Glass first and was turned down because Glass was their first ever draft pick and a Manitoba boy. I would have preferred Glass to have been the one to go even though I think he is a future 1/2 C.

I truly appreciate how good Stone is but I’m still sick to my stomach. Erik is an exciting player to watch.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
One other thing: I truly believe that the only reason Vegas gave up this prospect was the added allure of Stone being a Brandon WheatKing and the whole Manitoba/McCrimmon thing we got going on down here. Reaves last year, Stone this year, he seems to like to round up his guys.

I also truly wonder if Dorian asked for Glass first and was turned down because Glass was their first ever draft pick and a Manitoba boy. I would have preferred Glass to have been the one to go even though I think he is a future 1/2 C.

I truly appreciate how good Stone is but I’m still sick to my stomach. Erik is an exciting player to watch.
Dorion hopefully pushed for Glass but was probably shut down.

Cheer up, seriously. Mark Stone is the best player on your team now and you got him for a player that may or may not have an impact.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The lack of size narrative will be a non issue. Just pay attention to Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar next year .Brannstrom is pretty close to their talent level. A hair below but very close

Reactions: NB613

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Brannstrom in his draft year was adamantly compared to Kimmo Timonen. Wouldn’t that be awesome. That said, I think he’s at a higher raw skill level.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
From what I’ve seen Brannstrom has a great shot especially one timer which the sens don’t have on the roster or in their system. Chabots is decent but not on Brannstrom level. Ever since Turris and Alfredsson and Mika there has not been a good one time shot on the team

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
From what I’ve seen Brannstrom has a great shot especially one timer which the sens don’t have on the roster or in their system. Chabots is decent but not on Brannstrom level. Ever since Turris and Alfredsson and Mika there has not been a good one time shot on the team

You see his backhand roof job from the world juniors too? Filthy.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Can anyone see us running

Chabot
Brannstrom
Wolanin

On the left side..

I like both Wolanin and Lajoie but I like Wolanin more because of his offensive game. Boucher / Crawford had Lajoie paired with Ceci and they saw a lot of shut down duties .. Its a little curious that they have called Wolanin up and sent Lajoie down at this time.. I would like to see Wolanin get the more meaningful games .. I am not sure what Dorion is thinking on these two. It would seem to me that Wolanin may find himself as the odd man out unless he or Brannstrom can effectively play the right side.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Chabot
Brannstrom
Wolanin

On the left side..

I like both Wolanin and Lajoie but I like Wolanin more because of his offensive game. Boucher / Crawford had Lajoie paired with Ceci and they saw a lot of shut down duties .. Its a little curious that they have called Wolanin up and sent Lajoie down at this time.. I would like to see Wolanin get the more meaningful games .. I am not sure what Dorion is thinking on these two. It would seem to me that Wolanin may find himself as the odd man out unless he or Brannstrom can effectively play the right side.
I don’t think Wolanin is out necessarily. I suspect if all of Brannstrom, Wolanin and Lajoie get to nhl level then one could change sides.

Reactions: bert and NB613

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
From the comments I’ve seen, those that have actually seen him play/know him well
have nothing but good/great things to say about him. That gets me excited. The negatives come with trading away a great player in Mark Stone, not in anything regarding his play. I’m hopeful that he can be great.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
You got a hell of a defenceman prospect here ,things are starting to look better and better in Ottawa

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010

Mike Hoffman ?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The difference between Kling and Rund is speed of execution imo. Which is related to hockey IQ... Kling isn’t fast foot-speed wise but he’s ahead of most players in the league in terms of IQ and speed of execution
+ decision making. Pretty much like Stone. So the lack of footspeed is not a big deal. Rundblad lacked speed both in his legs and in his brain, that’s why it didn’t work out in the NHL. Just my 2 cents!
explansion draft has to do with years pro not years in the nhl

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Chabot
Brannstrom
Wolanin

On the left side..

I doubt this,, they'll squeeze chabot and brannstrom into one pair and the rest of the pairs will be "shutdown" pairs

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ryan Suter would be a good comparison after reading the scouting reports

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
we don't use one timers anyway tho on the pp

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I’ve been SUPER high on this guy for years now. I believe he is a guaranteed star. I think he is the BEST prospect in the NHL right now. He has produced everywhere he has played. I mean as a 19 year old defenceman he almost has a .7 PPG in the AHL. That just doesn’t happen. He does need to work on his defensive play but his offensive abilities are NHL ready and some.
I mean before he was drafted I changed my name to “ErikBrannstrom”. Ottawa did well here. Props to Dorian.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->