Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Brannstrom seems to use the slapper a lot from what I've seen so far. I think a lot of his success will be tied to his ability to get shots through at the next level. He's got the agility. There's a lot of Karlsson in his game. Moreso than the Chabot comparisons I think. Let's hope it progresses similarly.
Chabot can be the passer on the PP Iam ok with that lol

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Just listened to his interview on TSN1200, loved how he said he preferred the smaller ice in NA because he has less time and the choices he makes with the puck are more automatic .

Can’t wait until he meets his mentor/D partner in Ottawa

Takes #5 exactly 4 seconds from being the last man in the back to being the last man entering our Dzone:laugh::popcorn::help:
Hope we move the man before Branström is called up

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Takes #5 exactly 4 seconds from being the last man in the back to being the last man entering our Dzone:laugh::popcorn::help:
Hope we move the man before Branström is called up

First I am not saying it was a good play or the right play but as stupid as it looks, it isn't that bad. He only has a split second to do something, he recognized that the puck was bouncing and he had zero chance to stop it with his stick, he clued in he was flat footed going the wrong way, he also noticed the puck and the winger were going to be behind him before he was even allowed to make contact. His dive was an attempt to stop the puck and or trip the winger. He didn't get the puck or the trip but he did slow the play and run enough interference stopping the 2 on 1 that almost happened.
He could have taken a swing at the puck but if he missed it's a clear 2 on 1
If he decides to stop the winger its a penalty, what he did was uuuuglyyy but it worked and I hope he never does it again.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
First I am not saying it was a good play or the right play but as stupid as it looks, it isn't that bad. He only has a split second to do something, he recognized that the puck was bouncing and he had zero chance to stop it with his stick, he clued in he was flat footed going the wrong way, he also noticed the puck and the winger were going to be behind him before he was even allowed to make contact. His dive was an attempt to stop the puck and or trip the winger. He didn't get the puck or the trip but he did slow the play and run enough interference stopping the 2 on 1 that almost happened.
If he decides to stop the winger its a penalty, what he did was uuuuglyyy but it worked and I hope he never does it again.
:wave::biglaugh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dorion was on the radio talking about Brannstrom, said there's only one guy in the NHL (on our team) who can pass like Brannstrom. Also mentioned that he was really impressed with his shot. Thought he looked a little nervous his first game, but got over that after 10 mins or so.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Brannstrom was recalled today.

I previously thought if Brannstrom plays 9 games, he's eligible for the expansion draft. Looking at what was said about Comtois in Anaheim, it seems Brannstram needs 11 games to be eligible for expansion. We have 12 games left in the season.

What does this mean for Ottawa?

There's an interesting dynamic in that the Senators could possibly deliberately burn the first year of Brannstrom's ELC by playing him in 10 of the remaining 12 games. He would burn the year, but he would not become eligible for the expansion draft if they don't play him in 11 games.

There is a legitimate argument that burning the first year of an ELC for a team in the Senators position might be strategically sound. Now that we're hearing offer sheets might be back in style as soon as this upcoming off season, and with the speculation that signing bonuses (especially lockout bonuses) might be difficult for the Senators, burning year 1 of an ELC without allowing the play to accrue a pro season puts the Senators in a position where when that player's ELC expires, they will not be eligible to sign an offer sheet.

This happened with Gaudreau, and severely limited his leverage with Calgary. Currently, Colin White is in the same position where he cannot sign an offer sheet as an RFA.

So it possibly puts a team in a position where they minimize an RFAs leverage at the expense of having to pay them a bit more in year 3 of their NHL career. If that minimized leverage leads to a cheaper second contract, it probably makes up for burning the year.

I think Anaheim is doing this deliberately with some of their players. Otherwise, why play Comtois in exactly 10 games? It'll be interesting to see if Ottawa takes this approach with Brannstrom.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Appears to be the incorrect move to call him up all things considered at this time, thus the Ottawa Senators have done just that! That train is never late!

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Appears to be the incorrect move to call him up all things considered at this time, thus the Ottawa Senators have done just that! That train is never late!

It could be just a single game. We'll have to wait and see. Belleville is apparently not playing tonight.

It's either an attempt to give fans something to look forward to at a home game, which I can't blame this team for doing considering the mess they've made.

Or, they've strategically decided to burn a year of Brannstrom's contract.

The fact that this comes when Chabot was hurt makes me think it's the former. In which case, maybe they play him in all 7 of the remaining home games. If they do play him that much in Ottawa, I guess there's an argument that they are hurting Belleville's chances to get into the playoffs, which is fair.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
give him nhl games. We have nothing to gain going forward in the nhl season so atleast give the young guys some looks and development time before the summer

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
There is a legitimate argument that burning the first year of an ELC for a team in the Senators position might be strategically sound. Now that we're hearing offer sheets might be back in style as soon as this upcoming off season, and with the speculation that signing bonuses (especially lockout bonuses) might be difficult for the Senators, burning year 1 of an ELC without allowing the play to accrue a pro season puts the Senators in a position where when that player's ELC expires, they will not be eligible to sign an offer sheet.
11 games is the expansion draft pro-year.

but 10 games and sliding is 1 pro-year towards RFA status as an entry-level player, of which he needs 3. If he plays 10 games and forgoes the slide he will still be offer sheet eligible when his contract expires.

Brannstrom and Gaudreau are not comparable, Gaudreau signed his ELC at age 21, and required 3 years of experience to become an RFA, because he only played 1 pro-game in his first year (not 10) he burnt a year of his ELC without acquiring a pro-year in experience, and therefore wasn't eligible for RFA status because his contract expired with 2 pro-years of experience instead of the required 3.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Brannstrom was recalled today.

I previously thought if Brannstrom plays 9 games, he's eligible for the expansion draft. Looking at what was said about Comtois in Anaheim, it seems Brannstram needs 11 games to be eligible for expansion. We have 12 games left in the season.

What does this mean for Ottawa?

There's an interesting dynamic in that the Senators could possibly deliberately burn the first year of Brannstrom's ELC by playing him in 10 of the remaining 12 games. He would burn the year, but he would not become eligible for the expansion draft if they don't play him in 11 games.

This happened with Gaudreau, and severely limited his leverage with Calgary. Currently, Colin White is in the same position where he cannot sign an offer sheet as an RFA.

So it possibly puts a team in a position where they minimize an RFAs leverage at the expense of having to pay them a bit more in year 3 of their NHL career. If that minimized leverage leads to a cheaper second contract, it probably makes up for burning the year.

I think Anaheim is doing this deliberately with some of their players. Otherwise, why play Comtois in exactly 10 games? It'll be interesting to see if Ottawa takes this approach with Brannstrom.

Great post, great explanation, great research, thanks man!

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It could be just a single game. We'll have to wait and see. Belleville is apparently not playing tonight.

It's either an attempt to give fans something to look forward to at a home game, which I can't blame this team for doing considering the mess they've made.

The fact that this comes when Chabot was hurt makes me think it's the former. In which case, maybe they play him in all 7 of the remaining home games. If they do play him that much in Ottawa, I guess there's an argument that they are hurting Belleville's chances to get into the playoffs, which is fair.

I doubt it. Haven't seen any confirmation yet but I suspect it's an emergency recall. With Boro being sick they only had 5 D ready to go tonight. They had to call up someone. And if it is an emergency recall he will have to be sent down once Boro is ready to return.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

I believe it to be a tactic (player selection that is) to entice people to buy tickets, I would have brought up 1 of the other plugs to participate in this inevitable loss. You do make some solid points!

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009

Actually Ceci forgot he's playing hockey and switched to soccer... that was an attempted diving header which he missed on lol

He could have, you know, skated backwards like a defence is supposed to... Ceci has the worst gap control in the league and his numbers show it (as well as the eye test)

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
11 games is the expansion draft pro-year.

but 10 games and sliding is 1 pro-year towards RFA status as an entry-level player, of which he needs 3. If he plays 10 games and forgoes the slide he will still be offer sheet eligible when his contract expires.

Brannstrom and Gaudreau are not comparable, Gaudreau signed his ELC at age 21, and required 3 years of experience to become an RFA, because he only played 1 pro-game in his first year (not 10) he burnt a year of his ELC without acquiring a pro-year in experience, and therefore wasn't eligible for RFA status because his contract expired with 2 pro-years of experience instead of the required 3.

Gaudreau (as did White) and White both burned their year 1 of the ELC upon signing due to no longer being eligible for an ELC slide.

Brannstrom takes 10 games, but it is still the same process.

1 game wasn't enough for the burned year of the ELC to qualify as a pro year
10 games won't be enough for the burned year of the ELC to qualify as a pro year

Both cases prevent offer sheets when the player hits RFA status because they have not accrued enough pro experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->