Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Really? Why? Both are small, both amazing skaters, both big minute guys, both PP guys. Seems like a natural fit

Ryan Suter is roughly 6'2 and 210 lbs. Brannstrom will never be anywhere near the same size as Suter.

Suter is also known for his all-world defence, whereas Brannstrom is known for his offensive abilities.

They are both great skaters and that's where the comparison ends, imo.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Really? Why? Both are small, both amazing skaters, both big minute guys, both PP guys. Seems like a natural fit

Suter is 6 foot 2... I just don't see the comparison. Suter is not flashy but he's effective. Brannstrom is a better skater (Suter is a good skater too), and he has much more offensive flair.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Who am I talking about here?

Small Swedish defenceman named ERIK with superb skating and offensive abilities who shot up the draft boards in the second half of his draft season only to be drafted 15th overall.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hate Dorion or love him, he is a hell of a player evaluator.

The way he said Brannstrom is the best get he's got, I think he 1000% means it and I do too. I love Duchene but a number 1 D > number 1 C.

Let's just hope Brannstrom fulfills his potential. The huge blessing in this is that Chabot is looking like a top 5 D and Brannstrom won't be thrown to the wolves immediately, he'll be eased in.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Per their career trajectories, I’m way higher on Brannstrom than I was Chabot at his age.
Chabot has had a great trajectory as well though. QMJHL Playoff MVP and World Juniors MVP.
Brannstrom is impressive because he's played in mens leagues from a young age.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon

The way he said Brannstrom is the best get he's got, I think he 1000% means it and I do too. I love Duchene but a number 1 D > number 1 C.

Let's just hope Brannstrom fulfills his potential. The huge blessing in this is that Chabot is looking like a top 5 D and Brannstrom won't be thrown to the wolves immediately, he'll be eased in.

That's arguable but what isn't arguable is that you need both if you want to win it all. My biggest worry now is that Brannstrom will be the next Karlsson and the team will again go with the philosophy of driving the offense from the back end....which ultimately didn't win anything when Karlsson was here. You need a solid D...but it's more obvious what you really need is a Crosby, Kopitar, or Towes if you want to win it all.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That's arguable but what isn't arguable is that you need both if you want to win it all. My biggest worry now is that Brannstrom will be the next Karlsson and the team will again go with the philosophy of driving the offense from the back end....which ultimately didn't win anything when Karlsson was here. You need a solid D...but it's more obvious what you really need is a Crosby, Kopitar, or Towes if you want to win it all.

Lundell, or Byfield, bro. Or Lafreneiere is our Kane and Brown/White/Norris do enough job.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You really think Ryan's contract even matters anymore, at this point?
He is the most talented forward left on the team from a pure skill aspect. The sens cant even get to the floor and people still dont want him. Haha this fanbase man.

So unaware of how bad the roster currently is.

So Brannstrom is actually a good piece was phenomenal at the WJC. I dont care if he can play RD or not just let all these young d men develop at the appropriate pace.

Wolanin said he thinks he can play RD if Brannstrom cant maybe they should play him there in Belleville?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You got a hell of a defenceman prospect here ,things are starting to look better and better in Ottawa

We had a top line of Dzingel, Duchene and Stone. One small size Defenseman is not going to replace what was traded away at this TDL and prior years.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah. We have a NICE group of prospects and then we could have up to 3 First rounders in next years stacked class.
as soon as we added Brannstrom I think we became a bit more than nice. if we can add one of lafraniere/.raymond/holtz/lundell I mean we must become one of the top 5 pools in the league

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think Balcers and Norris are safe bets to be at least 3rd liners, especially Balcers, which is good news since they are like 5th/7th on our prospect list.

I have a real good feeling about Balcers, that guy can play.
I have found him to be very hit or miss, however you can see the raw skills are there. He needs to be more consistent and hard on the puck (not uncommon for a young player) but i see the potential.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don’t think Wolanin is out necessarily. I suspect if all of Brannstrom, Wolanin and Lajoie get to nhl level then one could change sides.
Exactly...

I think people need to recognize that its going to be a long time before the team will need to make a decision on Lajoie and Wolanin. The sens essentially are going to bottom out for two more full seasons as they need elite forward prospects and the only way that happens for this franchise is through the draft. So there will be plenty of time to figure out the LD RD issue. If its me i move Wolanin to RD immediately and start grooming him.

Wolanin has terrific puck skills and is still leaning the position as he only switched to d 4 seasons ago. I think he is the best candidate and they can be patient with him.

Brannstrom likely plays in the NHL next season, id keep Wolanin for a full extra season in the AHL having him learn to play RD. Then bring him up in 2021-2022 assuming he develops.

Brannstrom is an exciting player i like the way they are developing from the back end first as forwards can be impact players immediately. At this point where the team is so far off of being competitve the sens should be just picking BPA. It doesnt matter right now what positions players specifically play.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Chabot is looking like he will become a top number 1 D, not top 5.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Exactly...

I think people need to recognize that its going to be a long time before the team will need to make a decision on Lajoie and Wolanin. The sens essentially are going to bottom out for two more full seasons as they need elite forward prospects and the only way that happens for this franchise is through the draft. So there will be plenty of time to figure out the LD RD issue. If its me i move Wolanin to RD immediately and start grooming him.

Wolanin has terrific puck skills and is still leaning the position as he only switched to d 4 seasons ago. I think he is the best candidate and they can be patient with him.

Brannstrom likely plays in the NHL next season, id keep Wolanin for a full extra season in the AHL having him learn to play RD. Then bring him up in 2021-2022 assuming he develops.

Brannstrom is an exciting player i like the way they are developing from the back end first as forwards can be impact players immediately. At this point where the team is so far off of being competitve the sens should be just picking BPA. It doesnt matter right now what positions players specifically play.

This team will be a bottom dweller for more than 2 seasons, more like 5 because draft picks require time to mature and this team needs quite a few top end picks (top 5) to re-stock better players. It has let too many top talented players go.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This team will be a bottom dweller for more than 2 seasons, more like 5 because draft picks require time to mature and this team needs quite a few top end picks (top 5) to re-stock better players. It has let too many top talented players go.
Well its 3 including this year in my opinion they likely start to compete for a playoff spot in 2022-2023. They should have two extra high end forward picks by then. The d core should really start to be competitive by then.

Chabot 24
Lajoie 24
Wolanin 26
Jaros 25
Brannstrom 22
Bernard-Docker 21

White 24
Tkachuk 22
Formenton 22
Batherson 23
Brown 23
Balcers 24
Chlapik 24
Norris 22
Pageau 29
Tierney 27
Lafrennier 21 (hopefully)
(Top 5 pick)

The expansion draft should also be a tool that the organization uses to get some quality players, potentially a goalie. The team should have alot of extra assets that i did not list to aquire one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad