Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I was very aware of this kid before we acquired him but now that we have him I watched some in depth video of him

- Better defensively than Karlsson at the same age. Engages the player and maintaina decent body position ,. Good active stick
- Elite skater. Ability to carry puck up the ice and weave in and out of traffic
- Has a bomb from the point
- Excellent first pass and moves puck quickly on pp
- Like playing the right side or top of umbrella on the pp to set up his one timer

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
If he plays less than 9 games, we do not have to protect him in the expansion draft.

Given that implication, if he does come up, it's probably not for the entire rest of the season.
I think he gets a few for sure...the team will want to see what he's got.

Reactions: Clayonator

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I heard a couple people mention he can play on his off side. Can he play on the right?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Sens need to sign RHD UFA. A top 4 to boot
Would Tyler Myers be a decent pick up? We could even overpay for him. Since we are going to need to reach the cap floor.

Maybe big money and an important role could convince him.

I doubt it.. but that would be better then Ceci, Demelo, Jaros(for now) on the Right side.

He don't know if he is a real top 4 nowaday, but it not like the real one would come here anyway.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Would Tyler Myers be a decent pick up? We could even overpay for him. Since we are going to need to reach the cap floor.

I doubt it.. but that would be better then Ceci, Demelo, Jaros(for now) on the Right side.

He don't know if he is a real top 4 nowaday, but it not like the real one would come here anyway.

The problem is that every team overpays on July 1st, and for this team to convince a quality UFA to sign here, we'd have to overpay by a tremendous amount because of Melnyk, the team's pathetic state, taxes, etc...

Wouldn't be worth it, unless the UFA agreed to an extremely short term length (1-3YRs), which they wouldn't do.

Reactions: Vprime

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The problem is that every team overpays on July 1st, and for this team to convince a quality UFA to sign here, we'd have to overpay by a tremendous amount because of Melnyk, the team's pathetic state, taxes, etc...

Wouldn't be worth it, unless the UFA agreed to an extremely short term length (1-3YRs), which they wouldn't do.

Our only chance is guys who are at the end of their career (33 years old and older) and willing to sign for 2-3 years at a very inflated AAV. Ideally, they also would have won before, since they won't be doing that here.

Or, we could go after guys who've struggled and are looking for guaranteed ice time on one year "prove it" contracts in hopes of landing a better deal next summer.

Potential candidates:
• Marc Methot (hello old friend)
• Dan Girardi
• Ron Hainsey
• Ben Lovejoy
• Eric Gryba

Now you might be saying, those guys aren't any good! And you're right! But they're the best we could get.

Reactions: derriko and NyQuil

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Our only chance is guys who are at the end of their career (33 years old and older) and willing to sign for 2-3 years at a very inflated AAV. Ideally, they also would have won before, since they won't be doing that here.

Or, we could go after guys who've struggled and are looking for guaranteed ice time on one year "prove it" contracts in hopes of landing a better deal next summer.

Potential candidates:
• Marc Methot (hello old friend)
• Dan Girardi
• Ron Hainsey
• Ben Lovejoy
• Eric Gryba

Now you might be saying, those guys aren't any good! And you're right! But they're the best we could get.
Also Anton Stralman who I think is only 32

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Legit on the third line

Meh thats what people said about White. Impossible to predict how a player will develop till he gets into the NHL.

Some of Ottawa's prospects will exceed expectations, some will do the opposite.

Reactions: bert

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
If he plays less than 9 games, we do not have to protect him in the expansion draft.

Given that implication, if he does come up, it's probably not for the entire rest of the season.
Given we are limited to (I think) 4 callups and his situation of only being able to play 9 games - I would think he's in the AHL for the rest of the season. Unless as an emerg call up. Just a guess. Will be fun to watch that Belleville team, hope they make the playoffs.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

We won't need to be overpaying legit top 4D or top 6 forwards to hit the floor.

We are pretty much at the floor next year if we retain everybody, Chabot, king of assists, and Pageau will get raises the year after that, and then pretty much all our top prospects finish their ELCs by 2022 (Tkachuk, Brown, Balcers, Batherson, etc).

Brannstrom and Formenton finish in 2023.

Cap floor will not make the Sens overpay good UFAs. Don't get your hopes up. We will sign maybe one or two Oduya/Thompson types making 2-3 million on 1 or 2 year deals at most

Cap floor is not an issue. We aren't far from it at all.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Brannstrom is probably better than quin Hughes, who many people here wanted with the 4th. Brannstrom has a much much better shot which actually makes him more effective.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Brannstrom is a great get, and virtually ready to lock down a top 4D spot.

Still feel like this was the opportunity to find a RHD to pair with Chabot. Karlsson never had a great partner, would be nice in this circus show to have someone to share the load with Chabot.

This is top talent, at least.
Bernard Docker is that guy in the long run.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Here is the question, is he a future Karlsson or Rundblad...

At age 21 years old Rundbald put up 16 points and a -18 in 30 games in the AHL (0.53 PPG). Brannstrom currently has 28 points in 41 games (0.68 PPG) as a 19 year old.

He's also clearly a better skater than Rundblad was/is.

He'll be closer to EK than he will be to Rundlad.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Watched the WJC highlights and damn I am impressed. He definitely has that "it" factor that superstar players have, a lot of swagger when he's skating and stick-handling, good to see. Hopefully he can translate that confidence to the NHL

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
At age 21 years old Rundbald put up 16 points and a -18 in 30 games in the AHL (0.53 PPG). Brannstrom currently has 28 points in 41 games (0.68 PPG) as a 19 year old.

He's also doing this while being somewhat undersized. Ive seen weight listings that range from 170-180 so if he can get up near or at 190 I think he'll be much more effective.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

What happened with Rundblad's career still makes no sense to me.

He had 50 points in 55 games i SHL as a 19-20 year old defenceman. That NEVER happens.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What happened with Rundblad's career still makes no sense to me.

He had 50 points in 55 games i SHL as a 19-20 year old defenceman. That NEVER happens.

His lack of explosiveness and foot speed was not apparent in the SHL (or SEL back then I think) because of the bigger ice surface. In the NHL you have MUCH less time to act, and the ice is smaller too. Makes a gigantic difference if you were relying on your hands too much in previous leagues.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
His lack of explosiveness and foot speed was not apparent in the SHL (or SEL back then I think) because of the bigger ice surface. In the NHL you have MUCH less time to act, and the ice is smaller too. Makes a gigantic difference if you were relying on your hands too much in previous leagues.

Wouldn't the bigger ice surface actually make the skating even more important, as you need to cover more space both defensively and offensively?

I mean, Klingberg isn't a speedster either, but still manages to pretty much always be in the right spot (kind of the style the Rundblad had).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad