Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Assuming we return the majority of our lines with average growth:

Line 1 - Yeti/Golod/Fowler - ability to be a top line in all of the OHL next season.

Line 2 - Lockhart/Swankler/Import - could be nearly as good as the first line depending on import.

Line 3 - Hoff/Sellan/D'Amato/Sproule - why 4, because they are all around the same level to me...this line, for whatever reason "gets it" and may be one of the hardest working depth lines in the OHL. Certainly not the most talented, but for some reason they work well together. There could be trade value for the "odd man out".

Line 4 - Cohen/Bressette/8th Pick? - development group with a positive upside.

This leaves a possible trade in the 3rd line with Sproule or D'Amato and over age player MacDougall (even if it is late late round).

Defense

Line 1 - Duff/Drysdale - no explanation necessary.

Line 2 - Morton/Kyrou - I picked Kyrou over Kish because the 2 have the ability to be paired longer in their career which could bode well as a Duff/Drysdale replacement (so to speak).

Line 3 - Gillard?/Kish - Kish is a heart and soul member, what he doesn't have in talent he certainly makes up for with his presence on and off the ice and the fans and team seem to be better with him rather than without.

Even if Gillard doesn't come back, Murphy is a name of an up and coming development player OR we can fill with a drafted player this year, just not the 8th pick or an Import/Trade.

Goalie

Campbell- need to take the leap of faith and unfortunately get what we can for
Murphy while he is an OA.

Possible trades for Murphy could be picks and/or that 3rd line defenseman.

Henry - if not for his penalty minutes, he can be an amazing presence in the game and we should be able to get decent trade value early for him. He is a silent leader with his physical play and sticks up for his team when necessary. I feel as though he surprised more people this year as he seemed to play smarter.

MacDougall - Trade/Cut...if we can get any picks, do it...otherwise unfortunately his time in Erie, barring some amazing progress is likely over.

Sproule - Kinda like a Joe Mack...you love him as a person, but maybe his time has come and gone and he could be playing elsewhere allowing Erie to shore up some draft stock. If not him, D'Amato, Hoff and/or Sellan could be inserted here.

I imagine this as our best case scenario

WE NEED A NEW COACH.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Mata, Give me that above roster layout with most things going according to plan (i.e. Import signed, Campbell improving)

Give me all that best case stuff but also give me Hartsburg and this team is probably winning a conservative 34-38 games. That does absolutely nothing for me.

Now give me new coaching with a team that has a new attitude and focus and maybe we can get somewhere and win closer to 40-44 games. But that’s the absolute ceiling for this team. Which can only happen if guys like Campbell really grow this offseason and a new coach (unlikely) takes over

If Hartsburg comes back I’m actually hopeful we are .500 at the deadline and maybe Brown wakes up and fires him / trades off. Knowing how Dave has been the last few years though he probably goes and trades for someone instead

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
NOA,

Couldn't agree more. We have essentially the same roster, albeit more mature, and last years expectation was 6th seed or higher. We struggled to hit an 8th seed when the dust settled.

Without a coaching change, I realistically see us as a 7th or lower (best case), unfortunately.

Reactions: NOA

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Team needs a Culture Change. Point blank.

Whether it means changing the make up of the team or changing coach or GM, or realistically all 3.

Reactions: OttersFan and Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Looks like Erie will pick Sova 8th overall..

We shall see though.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I know this is a very minor problem, but I wish there was sound to hear how the kid pronounces his last name. Very minor and almost a nonissue, but still would be nice.

Unless you're Sherry Bassin drafting T. Raddysh... Taylor, Tyler... whatever. Still, sound would be appreciated.

Reactions: Mata

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
It's official...

At #8 overall, Erie Selects Spencer Sova from Detroit HoneyBaked.
Sova, SpencerLD5.1116301/10/2004Detroit HoneyBaked 15'SYouth (USA)Windsor, ON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Boycotting Dave Brown and Hartsburg until they are fired.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It sounds like Sova is a really good player and probably develops into a great 2/3 guy.

Not sure that his ceiling is more than that. Maybe it is. I don’t know. I am just going off what I am reading.

Erie imo did not need defense. That said, once they resign Hartsburg they are due for another crap year next season - hopefully means Drysdale is then traded for a first round 2004 born forward - in which case Erie perfectly played their hands

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
It sounds like Sova is a really good player and probably develops into a great 2/3 guy.

Not sure that his ceiling is more than that. Maybe it is. I don’t know. I am just going off what I am reading.

Erie imo did not need defense. That said, once they resign Hartsburg they are do for another crap year next season - hopefully means Drysdale is them traded for a first round 2004 born forward - in which case Erie perfectly played their hands

Yes, people are saying he plays like Drysdale (offensive minded blueliner).

I hope the Otters go 0 - 64 and then these people defending the pick can eat crow.

Welcome to sub par mediocrity, thanks Brown, Hartsburg, and Waters!!!

Reactions: EON

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This team fell from grace so quickly. From the one of the best organizations in the league (2013-2017) to one of the worst. Just complete incompetence. Can't wait until they don't land any of their big picks, whiff on their imports, then don't sell they can squeak into 8th again.

Reactions: NOA and Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yes, people are saying he plays like Drysdale (offensive minded blueliner).

I hope the Otters go 0 - 64 and then these people defending the pick can eat crow.

Welcome to sub par mediocrity, thanks Brown, Hartsburg, and Waters!!!
I wouldn’t go that far..

Drysdale a more finesse skating player. Sova has great offensive tools but has a better shot and a bigger body. I would actually compare him more to Cernak in that sense

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
The OHL "journalists" are trying to spin the hell out of this pick in defense of the leadership.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
This team fell from grace so quickly. From the one of the best organizations in the league (2013-2017) to one of the worst. Just complete incompetence. Can't wait until they don't land any of their big picks, whiff on their imports, then don't sell they can squeak into 8th again.
Certainly the Hartsburg resign would be the bigger disaster

Honestly had this team taking Delic or Wakely around 8th overall after the other top guys were gone.

But considering both those guys fell so far, maybe it was just a matter of Erie feeling their best value pick was Sova?

I don’t like the pick at all but will try to spin it until I see what happens over the next 1-2 years. The one thing I do like is Sova is a big body (already 6’1) and is a great skater. Those are hard to make. Athletically he has great tools. Imo it makes much more sense if Dave Brown feels they are on the verge of trading Drysdale come January..

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Certainly the Hartsburg resign would be the bigger disaster

Honestly had this team taking Delic or Wakely around 8th overall after the other top guys were gone.

But considering both those guys fell so far, maybe it was just a matter of Erie feeling their best value pick was Sova?

I don’t like the pick at all but will try to spin it until I see what happens over the next 1-2 years. The one thing I do like is Sova is a big body (already 6’1) and is a great skater. Those are hard to make. Athletically he has great tools. Imo it makes much more sense if Dave Brown feels they are on the verge of trading Drysdale come January..

Which hints to another rebuild that we are sick and tired of...

So throw 2020-2021 away is basically what the belief is?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The OHL "journalists" are trying to spin the hell out of this pick in defense of the leadership.
He’s not a trash player lol. The guy was very close to making the USNDT .. and the US 2004 group is loaded. Hell, he might not of made it because their politics viewed him as a possible OHL guy.

Probably was a guy that could have fell to 15-25 range. Would not have fallen past that though from what I read. Windsor likely takes him at 14 if we don’t. Flint had some interest too.

It’s not like Erie drafted Nick Betz here. The kid has talent. I wish we would have gone Forward but what the hell do I know. Appears to be a slight reach by Erie but also sounds like other teams were going to make a similar reach if Erie didn’t. Sova has been trending upwards the last year.

Dave Brown better hope Sova turns into a top guy..

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
He’s not a trash player lol. The guy was very close to making the USNDT .. and the US 2004 group is loaded. Hell, he might not of made it because their politics viewed him as a possible OHL guy.

Probably was a guy that could have fell to 15-25 range. Would not have fallen past that though from what I read. Windsor likely takes him at 14 if we don’t. Flint had some interest too.

It’s not like Erie drafted Nick Betz here. The kid has talent. I wish we would have gone Forward but what the hell do I know. Appears to be a slight reach by Erie but also sounds like other teams were going to make a similar reach if Erie didn’t. Sova has been trending upwards the last year.

Dave Brown better hope Sova turns into a top guy..

I don't believe he is trash, he was rated as the 5th best defensive pick. However, there were players rated higher for "best available".

The only thing I can think of is he was the only first round pick that would commit to Erie 100% so Erie needed a sure thing.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
How do we see the D pairings looking now that it is actually official? I know it's been discussed, but I'm trying to piece it all together.

I wonder if a current Dman on the roster requested a trade and that's their take on the draft? I honestly don't know especially with the rumors of the players not liking it here (with Hartsburg). They all seem to love or tolerate Erie as a city.

I just hope Hartsburg is in the "drafted" elsewhere after this draft is finished.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Which hints to another rebuild that we are sick and tired of...

So throw 2020-2021 away is basically what the belief is?
I ranted about it the other day..

A total sell off (of elite talent like Drysdale) is what is truly needed if this team actually wants to restock picks and make a title run anytime soon.

Yes it’s difficult and painful for fans but that’s the reality of their situation.

The Hartsburg situation is the bigger concern. Why the hell is that bum still around? I don’t know. But don’t expect this team to be good the next 1/2 years. Hopefully it allows the team to sell off in the process though because I think the WORST scenario would be if we are decent (4-6 seed) and stand pat the next 2 years. That’s the worst scenario.

So I ask you -

Option 1) Sell off next year and restock our assets for the first time since before 2013. Allow this team to work towards the future and stop being weighted down by no picks

Option 2) Be a 5th seed next year and stand pat and watching Drysdale graduate to the NHL the following year with no reward..

I would rather suck next year ..

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Duff/Drysdale
Morton/Kyrou
Kish/Sova

(Kyrou and Kish can be changed, but I still feel like Kyrou should play with morton given they are younger).

Leaving Murphy and Gillard as "what ifs"?

Hope Erie lands a forward via Import or previous talents.

Reactions: OttersFan

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I just expect the worst from this team now. Whatever the best case scenario is, they'll accomplish the opposite. Terrible coaching decisions, terrible trade management, and terrible recruiting. This Sova pick just tells me they still can't land high end guys and are going to punt this season again, complete waste of a generational dman in Drysdale.

Reactions: Mata
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad