Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
How do we see the D pairings looking now that it is actually official? I know it's been discussed, but I'm trying to piece it all together.

I wonder if a current Dman on the roster requested a trade and that's their take on the draft? I honestly don't know especially with the rumors of the players not liking it here (with Hartsburg). They all seem to love or tolerate Erie as a city.

I just hope Hartsburg is in the "drafted" elsewhere after this draft is finished.

Hartsburg is issue number 1, 2, 3 right now..

Which means Dave Brown is issue number 1, 2, 3 right now for still keeping that bum

As for the defense-

Duff - Drysdale
Morton - Kyrou
Sova - Gillard
Kischnick/Wil Murphy?

Probably something like that. Depends largely on Gillard returning. He had a good rookie year and the injury really killed his development. I like Kyrou to take a big leap

Reactions: OttersFan and Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I ranted about it the other day..

A total sell off (of elite talent like Drysdale) is what is truly needed if this team actually wants to restock picks and make a title run anytime soon.

Yes it’s difficult and painful for fans but that’s the reality of their situation.

The Hartsburg situation is the bigger concern. Why the hell is that bum still around? I don’t know. But don’t expect this team to be good the next 1/2 years. Hopefully it allows the team to sell off in the process though because I think the WORST scenario would be if we are decent (4-6 seed) and stand pat the next 2 years. That’s the worst scenario.

So I ask you -

Option 1) Sell off next year and restock our assets for the first time since before 2013. Allow this team to work towards the future and stop being weighted down by no picks

Option 2) Be a 5th seed next year and stand pat and watching Drysdale graduate to the NHL the following year with no reward..

I would rather suck next year ..

I would rather suck next year IF Hartsburg/Brown were gone and there was hope for a rebuild.

Given that the 2nd part of the equation isn't changing, I would take my chances with a 5th seed and an underdog story.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I would rather suck next year IF Hartsburg/Brown were gone and there was hope for a rebuild.

Given that the 2nd part of the equation isn't changing, I would take my chances with a 5th seed and an underdog story.
Now the Hartsburg thing I agree with. He needs to go. My thought process was another shit year and Waters has to intervene if Brown doesn’t fire Hartsburg.

I’m obviously frustrated too. But this draft appears weak after the first 4/5 picks. The top talent is either NCAA committed or Americans. That’s what I’m reading into based off a bunch of random “reaches” that teams are making if we base it off the player rankings prior to the draft. Almost half the first round picks were guys projected to go in round 2..

My recent issues with Dave Brown are the handling of Lodnia, Hartsburg still being here, the Cajka situation, and the import draft

He still managed to sign Campbell and Swankler last year and our OHL drafting is still good.

Let’s see with Sova and our other picks today. They have 3 picks in the top 50. If all our busts, our franchise has gone in the toilet..

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Now the Hartsburg thing I agree with. He needs to go. My thought process was another shit year and Waters has to intervene if Brown doesn’t fire Hartsburg.

I’m obviously frustrated too. But this draft appears weak after the first 4/5 picks. The top talent is either NCAA committed or Americans. That’s what I’m reading into based off a bunch of random “reaches” that teams are making if we base it off the player rankings prior to the draft. Almost half the first round picks were guys projected to go in round 2..

My recent issues with Dave Brown are the handling of Lodnia, Hartsburg still being here, the Cajka situation, and the import draft

He still managed to sign Campbell and Swankler last year and our OHL drafting is still good.

Let’s see with Sova and our other picks today. They have 3 picks in the top 50. If all our busts, our franchise has gone in the toilet..

The draft isn't over and we still have the OA situation to build draft picks...

That being said, if Sova reports and can make the 3rd line, it isn't a "bust", but at the same time it doesn't give us an immediate improvement either.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

That being said, if Sova reports and can make the 3rd line, it isn't a "bust", but at the same time it doesn't give us an immediate improvement either.
What forward was going to do that too???

To me, Ludwinski, Fimis and Fantilli are the only obvious ones who could. Fantilli unlikely to play OHL this year. The others went in the top 5

Lockhart put up 27 points this year after being the 3rd pick and consensus top 5 draft forward last year..

Rookies rarely make an overwhelming impact. At best you get a 40-50 point player or 3/4 defender. But even then they are rookies and will not help you make a deep run if their role is that big..

Sova at least is a big body so maybe he plays more minutes idk. A lot harder on defense than being a forward. If he played 3rd pairing minutes from day 1, that’s not a bad sign. He just better see the ice from day 1 or that’s a bad sign

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

You do also realize that the only OAs worth value next year are Duff / Golod / Yetman and Henry

MacDougall will be released ..

Henry could maybe.. maybe.. get you a 3rd and a 4th round pick. He’s a 3/4 guy at best and takes dumb penalties. Nobody will overpay for him as an OA

Golod / Yetman are likely each to fetch a 2nd + 3rd (maybe more). As OAs though, your value is diminished. You also trade them and you are going to stink.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie coming up with picks 40 and 49

no picks until 6th round after that

So they have to go two forwards here right?

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Erie coming up with picks 40 and 49

no picks until 6th round after that

So they have to go two forwards here right?
I'd say so. Unless they do a forward and a goalie, but who knows honestly. Erie has a few goalies in their system that looked promising so I would suspect two forwards in the next two picks if they were looking to trade Murphy in the off season.

I don't see a direction with this team currently and everything at this point is a surprise.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Sans Sopa because he was here only a portion of the season:

Lockhart's 27 points was 7th best among forwards and tied for 8th highest on the team overall. PPG was 9th best overall and 7th best among forwards.

I suspect if he could have played consistently on a line (curse Hartsburg) his numbers would have been higher.

It is hard comparing apples to oranges though because of the position differences. I felt as though Cam Morton started off as a huge liability and by seasons end I felt as though he is a solid 2nd pairing defender. Whereas Dryadale's presence was definitely immediate, but even that comparison isn't a fair one. Dryadale is once in a generation defender where Morton is a developmental player.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Lucas Ross - Pens Elite

told you they would snag a Pens player..

I would take Konyen at 49 and hope to sign both of them.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
With the 40th pick in the 2nd round, Erie Selects Lucus Ross. Not a huge surprise they took a Pittsburgh Penguins Elite kid.

40Erie
From Ottawa
Ross, LucasLW5.05.514903/30/2004Pittsburgh Penguins Elite 15'SYouth (USA)Kinburn, ON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Sans Sopa because he was here only a portion of the season:

Lockhart's 27 points was 7th best among forwards and tied for 8th highest on the team overall. PPG was 9th best overall and 7th best among forwards.

I suspect if he could have played consistently on a line (curse Hartsburg) his numbers would have been higher.

It is hard comparing apples to oranges though because of the position differences. I felt as though Cam Morton started off as a huge liability and by seasons end I felt as though he is a solid 2nd pairing defender. Whereas Dryadale's presence was definitely immediate, but even that comparison isn't a fair one. Dryadale is once in a generation defender where Morton is a developmental player.
Again, it’s difficult as a rookie

Even Strome was as good as it gets as a rookie and was exposed the more minutes he got later in the year

Lockhart could have had more points but he also could have struggled more and lost confidence. I thought they mostly handled him well in terms of ice time

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
3rd round picks aren't horrible...especially when that is a traditional "American Flyer" pick. I do like your belief we may be starting to try and use Pittsburgh as a farm system to guarantee more signings.

That being said, Henry for a 3rd or 4th can be a decent American born player.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
3rd round picks aren't horrible...especially when that is a traditional "American Flyer" pick. I do like your belief we may be starting to try and use Pittsburgh as a farm system to guarantee more signings.

That being said, Henry for a 3rd or 4th can be a decent American born player.
That’s my view..

Have to start pulling NCAA/Americans. Pittsburgh is close to home and have become a great program. The more we draft, the potential we sign more and the more alumni from there the easier it will be to convince players

Swankler / Campbell so far. Gritz also was traded here

Now they own the rights to Saganiuk and Ross

imo go another Pens Elite in the 3rd. Why not. Maybe get the trio all to sign

Reactions: OttersFan

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Lucas Ross from the Pittsburgh Penguins Elite to Erie. Very small, but, man, can he score. Great footwork and hasn't let his lack of size prevent him from being the best player on any given shift. He's committed to Ohio State. #OHLDraft

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Maybe Aiden Campbell can help sway some of the 'Burgh to come up north!

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I'm not going to say I called it or that it was a good move, but I said they'd pick a goalie and a forward. I'm not an expert and just enjoy the game lol

Too bad it wasn't a Penguins Elite goalie like @NOA mentioned to sway them both to come.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
They don’t..

They go goalie at 49 overall.

last time we grabbed a goalie this early it was Jake Lawr.. our entire ability to draft, sign, develop goalies is poor. The few we hit on end up NCAA - Colton Point/Mitch Gibson

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
They don’t..

They go goalie at 49 overall.

last time we grabbed a goalie this early it was Jake Lawr.. our entire ability to draft, sign, develop goalies is poor. The few we hit on end up NCAA - Colton Point/Mitch Gibson

All but ensures Murphy is gone?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
All but ensures Murphy is gone?
I wouldn’t say this move determines it

goalies take much time to develop at all levels. I think taking him 3rd round means they hope he can compete and be ready to be a good backup by 2021-22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad