Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well, the offseason is here. A very unfortunate situation but for Otters fans, it certainly could have been worse. Definitely feel bad for fans of contenders. I would have been very upset if this happened during the 2016-17 season.

Looking ahead for the Otters, we've discussed this many times before, but I'm just going to wrap up my thoughts in one big post here until we get more news (personnel changes/what they do at the drafts).

The obvious first step is that Erie needs to move on from Hartsburg, and possibly the entire coaching staff. Their contracts are all up after this season, so this is a good time to make a move. Hartsburg has had 3 seasons here and they have all been pretty poor. He deserves some benefit of the doubt, as the team did not have a lot of talent for him to work with. But there has also been a lack of growth, inconsistent play, and frustrating special teams. Combine that with rumors of players not liking him, it's just time to move on.

Brown has earned enough leeway in my opinion for another 2-3 season contract, but if things don't improve by then, he could go as well. The goodwill from the McDavid/Strome/DeBrincat era is just about gone, they need to figure things out in a hurry.

Player wise, there are some questions. On offense, I see them having 8 guys that are locks right now, assuming they don't lose anyone to professional hockey or someone demanding a trade:

Cohen, Fowler, Swankler, Yetman, Lockhart, Sedore, Golod, Bressette.

The final 5-6 spots come down to a few guys and depend on who they sign.

Khushnutdinov is a must-sign if the team has any intention of contending imo. He would slot right into the top 6.

From the 2018 draft ('02s)

Alexander would be a huge home-run and maybe there's a slim chance since he doesn't enroll at Arizona State until 2021.

Carogiello would be a big get and a surprise as well, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Baldassarra would likely slot right into the middle 6 next season, or at least the 3rd line. He has developed well it seems and doesn't have an NCAA commitment, but he wasn't at camp this past season, so I'm not sure what his plans are.

From the 2019 draft ('03s), they have a few good options.

Saganiuk would obviously be a big get, but he is committed to Penn State. It would be a big blow to waste a 2nd round pick on a guy who doesn't show.

I think they have 4 good options from their mid/late round picks that could comfortable slot in the on 4th line next season or in the #13/#14 area. These guys have all developed fairly well it seems, Erie made some nice picks here, as they always seem to do. These guys could be the next Cohen/Sedore, spend their first season on the 4th line/limited playing time, then hopefully jump into a regular role in the middle 6 or bottom 6 their second season.

2019 7th LW Benjamin White: Benjamin White at eliteprospects.com
2019 12th F Cole Melady: Cole Melady at eliteprospects.com
2019 13th F Ryan Forberg: Ryan Forberg at eliteprospects.com
2019 14th F Frankie Tafalski: Frank Tafelski at eliteprospects.com

The 2020 1st (8th overall) will likely be a forward given their prior track record. The only dman they've taken in the 1st round in probably the last 10-15 years is Drysdale. Unless someone like that falls to them, I assume they'll go forward.

Then they will need to make a decision regarding their '01s. D'Amato, Hoffmann, Sellan, and Sproule. I would argue they should only keep 1-2 of these guys. Cohen/Sedore/Bressette should see regular playing time in the bottom 6, and they should be bringing in at least one more elite player up front, if not 2.

My very rough projection right now would be:

Golod-Swankler-Yetman
Fowler-Khushnutdinov-Lockhart
D'Amato-Hoffmann-Cohen
Sedore-Bressette-2020 1st
1-2 of the 2019 picks

Question marks: Alexander, Carogiello, Baldassarra, Saganiuk. Khushnutdinov is as well but I'm assuming he signs post draft here.

Traded: MacDougall, Sellan, Sproule
Back to Europe: Sopa

For the defense, it's a bit more clear cut. Assuming they keep Golod & Yetman, this only leaves 1 spot for Duff or Henry. Both are solid players but Duff is the easy choice, being the captain and less prone to poor penalties. They really need to add another top 4 guy though. Morton developed well but I'm not sure he'll be ready for that role, Gillard is a huge question mark, Kischnick is a 3rd pairing guy, and Kyrou should start on the 3rd pair.

For the 2019 picks, Wil Murphy is an easy sign imo. They like these guys that get bigger playing time in Major Midget in their D+1 season. Connor Olson, from the U18 draft, could be a guy to watch. He played in the OJHL and put up decent numbers. Finally, from the 2019 draft, Thomas Lonsdale could be a guy to compete for a 3rd pair spot or the #7/#8.

2019 5th LD Wil Murphy: Wil Murphy at eliteprospects.com
2019 U18 1st LD Connor Olson: Connor Olson at eliteprospects.com
2019 9th RD Thomas Lonsdale: Thomas Lonsdale at eliteprospects.com

My rough projection would be:

Duff-Drsydale
Morton-Import
Gillard?-Kyrou
Murphy
Olson/Lonsdale

Traded: Henry, Kischnick

Goaltending is pretty clear cut. Campbell had a lot of ups and downs in his first season but has huge potential. Unless they make a rule where goalies don't count towards the OA rule, he'll get the starter's job and they'll need to find a reliable backup. Could see some free agent goalie invites. Among their picks, there are 3 possible options:

2019 U18 1st Bryce Walcarius: Bryce Walcarius at eliteprospects.com
2019 8th Forbes Anderson: Forbes Anderson at eliteprospects.com
2019 10th Ben West: Ben West at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Tremendous stuff as always, EON

I’ll give my overall thoughts as well:

Coaching
It’s time to move on. Imo from all of them though Wes is the only one I consider bringing back as the players seem to like him. I don’t see how we can expect to retain players and sign guys like Khusnutdinov without making this necessary change. If Dave Brown doesn’t think it’s needed then Waters has to be the one to intervene and move on from Dave. I always felt Dave was a smart guy who had a clue but if indeed the contracts are up for Hartsburg and the staff, it’s really a no brainer to just simply move on. No need to fire him. No loss of money. It’s much more simplified. It also can be an “excuse” when trying to convince imports, etc next year - “Look, our coaching has been underwhelming the last few years and injuries have hurt us, but with a new staff and a healthy roster we know things are trending upwards”

how the hell do you pitch new players to join when you won 23, 26, and 26 games over three years while staying the status quo?

Roster
I would agree with EONs list of 8 forwards who are locked in (unless they leave the team). MacDougall is clear odd man out. Has had major issues staying healthy and as an OA, there isn’t room to begin with.

DAmato - Sproule - Hoffmann - Sellan will all have to battle it out for 3 spots. Imo they MUST trade one of these 2001 players prior to next trade deadline (preferably early in the year). I think DAmato and Hoffmann are closer to locks over the other two.

That would put the roster at 11 forwards - leaving room for 1/2 imports and 1/2 players from 2004 draft or prior drafts to join. If they draft a 2004 first round forward and add an import forward then I would trade another of those 2001 forwards I just mentioned. My plan would be to trade one prior to the year starting and trade another by mid season.. however, this can really only happen if they add at least 1 import or a player like Saganiuk.

From what I’ve seen of Khusnutdinov, he would immediately be a top player for Erie and possibly in the OHL. It would be ideal if he gets drafted by an NHL team who has friendly relations with the OHL. The good news for Erie is he 100% will be drafted in the NHL. Which will hopefully help sway him to Erie

Saganiuk probably wouldn’t dominate right away given his size but no question the talent is elite and would probably be a bigger signing than Khusnutdinov because Saganiuk would be here for 3 full seasons.

Every other college commit is a long shot. But Dave Brown MUST commit himself to getting just 1 of them to come on board if he expects to turn things around in the win/loss column

As for the locks on defense:
Drysdale - Duff - Morton
Kyrou - Gillard - Kischnick

I can’t see Drysdale making an NHL squad full time given the position he plays and his overall size. He still can improve his physical abilities on the defensive end. Henry needs to be traded prior to the season in hopes of getting any value for him

Wil Murphy is probably in the lead to be the 7th defender. But Erie has a tremendous track record of finding late round defenders and having them develop 1/2 years in juniors. So look out for a surprise roster add here

Draft
Have to imagine they go forward here. Though I agree with EON that if a top defender slips to them, they will have to consider.

I really hope they add a first round with “size.” When I say size, I don’t mean 6’1 and 190lbs (because those guys I feel usually underwhelm in their OHL career). But I would like someone closer to 5’10 and with more weight. Erie needs to start adding more size. I know they like smaller, quick players but the team has been increasingly injury prone the last 3 years and I question if there is a correlation..
Besides.. a Khusnutdinov/Saganiuk and Bressette are all undersized. So their roster isn’t getting any bigger

I would also go forward in the import draft, especially if Marat is a no go. Though, I would still go forward if he signs. Erie needs top talent up front.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Why would Erie need to make a decision on their '01s already? Are they rebuilding next season? I thought next season should be better for Erie, particularly if there is a coaching change?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Why would Erie need to make a decision on their '01s already? Are they rebuilding next season? I thought next season should be better for Erie, particularly if there is a coaching change?

If they have ANY chance to compete next year, it will be largely dependent on getting Khusnutdinov and another import

With the addition of those 2 plus a possible 2004 first round pick, Erie won’t really have the room for all those 2001s. And given their draft capital, it would be prudent for them to try trading 1/2 of those players for some level of draft capital. On the reverse side, if they end up selling off, it would also be important to trade the older players in order to start building with the younger group

Once you get past the 8 roster locks discussed, Erie will have 4 2001 players competing for 3rd/4th line time. That’s not ideal for those players or for Erie’s future. If Erie added 1/2 imports, they then would have one of those 2001 forwards sitting the bench...
Essentially, there isn’t enough room for ALL of them to take ice from guys like Cohen, Sedore, Bressette who will need more of a role next year to develop

Reactions: EON

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I also will add that if a dream scenario happened for Erie, this could theoretically be their roster

Golod - Khusnutdinov - Fowler
Yetman - Lockhart - Swankler
DAmato - Import - Hoffmann
Cohen - 2004 Pick - Bressette/Sedore

Drysdale - Duff
Gillard - Morton
Kyrou - Kischnick

Campbell

With a lack of picks, Erie would have to get creative if they were to add. They could probably get a veteran backup goalie for cheap but would need a 3/4 veteran defender. That is where a trade of 2001 player helps. If Erie can flip some players (including Henry) for picks, they could use those picks to add if they planned on making a bit of a run

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Thoughts on the import draft -

We all know Erie needs Khusnutdinov, so if I’m Dave Brown I would consider drafting players like Maxim Krovyakov or Nikita Shuidin - both are 2002 born Russian forwards that played with Khusnutdinov in the MHL this past year.

Warning: I don’t know much about these players or what their value/eligibility is in the draft.

My thought process is make Marat comfortable with coming here. Possibly drafting a teammate (assuming he is friends with him.. which is important) could help to sway Marat here. It would certainly make his transition easier and could also help Erie get not just Marat but his teammate. I think Marat is that good of a prospect that can still be swayed for Erie to take that gamble and draft another player that would be to his satisfaction

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
You are opening 6 roster spots just from your '00 & '99 groups. Even if you pair down your '01s to give more ice to youngsters, I don't think you are avoiding a rebuild in 2021-2022. Not with possibly Fowler, Swankler, Yetman, Golod, Drysdale all gone. If it was me, I would keep the vets, who are at least reliable in a bottom 6 role, and see what happens. If the team is no good, you should look at selling some of the above listed players by the trade deadline, in which case you will be happy you kept your vets to start the season.

I would think your rebuild should come the year after next and build around your '03s. Unless you think Sedore and Cohen are a core you can build around?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
You are opening 6 roster spots just from your '00 & '99 groups. Even if you pair down your '01s to give more ice to youngsters, I don't think you are avoiding a rebuild in 2021-2022. Not with possibly Fowler, Swankler, Yetman, Golod, Drysdale all gone. If it was me, I would keep the vets, who are at least reliable in a bottom 6 role, and see what happens. If the team is no good, you should look at selling some of the above listed players by the trade deadline, in which case you will be happy you kept your vets to start the season.

I would think your rebuild should come the year after next and build around your '03s. Unless you think Sedore and Cohen are a core you can build around?
That’s the discussion Erie fans have had for weeks..

Option A)
Major sell off of players. This would include Drysdale and at least one of Yetman/Golod. Possibly Fowler moved. I think they would also be wise to move a 2001 forward in that situation too as they have too many 2001s due to return the following year (all of which would have much less value as an OA)

Option B)
Ride out the current roster and see what happens. As currently built, they could be a solid/good 40ish win team. But that’s if, and only IF, they have new coaching and certain players really take a step up. And without major adds, they aren’t going to truly compete for title

Option C)
Make a true run with Drysdale and the veteran team. This means they MUST sign Khusnutdinov AND another import. They would also have to make a convincing run at Alexander/Saganiuk or other unsigned prospects. This is their only chance to actually make a legit run. If they were to sign 2/3 players in the above listed .. their forward group becomes increasingly crowded.

Those 2001s mentioned are likely all 6-9 forwards on a title run team. They are great depth players that title teams need but unless a major development happens, they are 3rd line guys on a true title team. In that scenario of “Option C,” (Erie makes a true run).. they would pretty much have their top 7 forwards established but would probably need to add a veteran defender. Only way to do that with their lack of picks is to flip their spare players (which exists in the crowded 2001 forward group).

They could always trade none of them and stay the course with their current roster IF they don’t add imports - but again, in that scenario they aren’t likely to truly compete and need to look at selling off big time to finally restock some picks

Reactions: Mata and HockeyPops

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

There is simply not room for all 4 of the '01s if they hit on Khushnutdinov.

Golod-Swankler-Yetman
Fowler-Khusnutdinov-Lockhart
D'Amato-Hoffmann-Sellan
Sproule-Bressette-Cohen
Sedore

This doesn't even include a likely 2020 1st round pick, and some of the talented 2019 picks they have. Sproule and Cohen are both guys who are easily 3rd liners next season imo. If they strike out on the import situation, then yes they shouldn't move the '01s so quickly. But the point here is to bring in elite talent at the top to stack up the top 6/top 9, then use the 4th line to develop younger guys. This is essentially what they did all throughout their 4 years of success 2013-2017.

Let's look at what I would consider the "ideal" scenarios for next season and then 2021-2022.

2020-2021:

Golod(OA)-Swankler('01)-Yetman(OA)
Folwer ('01)-Khushnutdinov('02)-Lockhart('03)
D'Amato('01)-Hoffmann('01)-Cohen('02)
Sedore('02)-Bressette('03)-2020 1st ('04)
2019 picks ('03s)

2021-2022:

Swankler(OA)-Khushnutdinov('02)-Lockhart('03)
D'Amato(OA)-Bressette('03)-Saganiuk?('03)
Sedore('02)-Cohen('02)-2020 1st('04)
2019 picks ('03s)/2020 picks ('04s)/2021 1st ('05)
Fowler/Hoffmann OA options?

This seems like a reasonable curve for me. If they hit it big this off-season, they could contend next season, use the extra '01s to gain some immediate trade ammo, then "reload" in 2021-2022. A lot of this hinges on unknowns though. We don't really know what will happen and are just speculating. I would just love to see them hit on elite talents (Khusnutdinov/Alexander/Saganiuk) and then move depth veteran guys out for trade ammo, essentially what London does. That is their best chance at contending next season and not having to rebuild all over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops and NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
That’s the problem with this team..

Too many unknowns because of the import situation and gambles (that haven’t paid off) in the early rounds of the OHL draft

If I was GM, I would put all my effort into Saganiuk and a 2003 import that they can pick in the first round this year.

In that scenario we trade Drysdale, Fowler, Yetman AND Golod. Yep. Full scale rebuild. I even try to move one of those 2001s. Maybe trade the rights to Khusnutdinov

Obviously Erie would suck and I’m not sure the fans or owner can accept that in order for it to happen. Again though, this is my fantasy world. So stay with me..

In that situation Erie would get 1/2 really good young roster players plus about 14-15 high end draft picks. Finally we can stop being hampered by the lack of picks and actually build things up properly. The toughest thing is selling this idea to the fans and players.

But imagine a situation where the core going into to 2021-22 is:

Cohen (2002)
Lockhart (2003)
Saganiuk (2003)
Bressette (2003)
Import (2003)
First Round Pick (2004)
Drysdale Trade (2004)
First Round Pick (2005)

Defense:

Morton (2002)
Kyrou (2003)
Murphy (2003)
Fowler/Yetman/Golod Trade? (2003)
2021 Import? (2004)

I know, I know. It will never happen. But if you want to know how Erie wins a title in the next 3-5 years while simultaneously restocking the cupboards - this is your only solution. Or we can tread water for the next few years but trust me, the lack of picks will inevitably lead to a major sell off season in the next few years unless Erie gets creative and starts hitting on top college commits (but even in that scenario Erie is in tough spot to ever add a name in a big trade.. which is almost always needed to win an OHL title)

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
A good US prospect or Import will only come if they think team is going to compete. So if you want them, you will have to keep your older guys and trade some extra 2000s and prospects for 2001s and 2002s. At the same time, you can continue developing players for year after.

Golod-Yetman-Swankler
Damato-Lockhart- Fowler
Sproule- Cohen-Hoffman
Sedore- 2020 1st rnd- Sellan

If Russian and Saganiuk come then bonus. But to get them Erie will have to promise them ice and that may affect chemistry of team, especially top 6, and then those left out in the cold may want out. Also, imports dont always acclimatize to league and environment.

Drysdale- Duff
Henry- Morton
Kyrou- Gillard- Kishnick/03

Campbell and Trade

You can hold onto Henry til November and then reduce to 3 OAs.

Trade Murphy and McDougall for some 01 or 02 better dmen if possible. Dave Brown should be able to get a serviceable 01 Goalie.

IMO, your forwards will be able to support offense, but the D Corp and Goaltending need alot of work when Henry is gone. If Dave Brown cant solidify the d then they will be in trouble.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Names to watch for Erie in the early rounds of the draft:

First round:
Kocha Delic
David Goyette
Lorenzo Bonaiuto

Unlikely to be available:
Paul Ludwinski
Pano Fimis

As for the 2nd round (where I believe Erie has OTT pick this year):
Keep an eye on Evan Konyen. Played for Pens Elite, dual US/Canada citizen, not committed to college, and Erie has worked on building up that relationship with the Pens program. Other names from the Pens Elite are Logan Cooley (college commit) and Matthew DiMarsico. Both are PA residents but are more of a long shot. I don’t condone Erie taking yet another early round risk but just be aware of those names as you watch the draft ..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Coaches Poll released today

Western Conference Results:

Chad Yetman gets 1st for Most Underrated Player
— An obvious choice and I’m glad he got the recognition.

Jamie Drysdale gets 2nd for Smartest Player (behind Perfetti by 4 votes)

Jamie Drysdale gets 2nd for Best Skater
(Behind Liam Foudy)

Jamie Drysdale gets 2nd for Best Offensive Defenseman
(Behind Ryan Merkley)

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Some categories where Erie players missed out..

Most Improved Player-
No love for Golod or Yetman..

Best Defensive Defenseman
I think Duff could have gotten some votes here

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
It's because if you're not first (team), you're last!!!

-Ricky Bobby

I've never really understood the awards category when it came to stuff like this. If you're not on a top team or a top draft pick your chances greatly diminish at recognition, generally speaking.

Take them with a grain of salt if you will lol.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It's because if you're not first (team), you're last!!!

-Ricky Bobby

I've never really understood the awards category when it came to stuff like this. If you're not on a top team or a top draft pick your chances greatly diminish at recognition, generally speaking.

Take them with a grain of salt if you will lol.
That’s a fairly true statement though I generally think it’s a hard ask for coaches as there are so many players that come to mind for many categories. I do like that they list the top 3 in each award.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Byfield got 0 mentions BTW...

Which is kind of crazy in my mind given how highly rated/coveted he is in the NHL draft.

J Simmons

Feb 11, 2018
As much as I’d love to look forward to 2021-22 where I have 0 clue where Erie will be, we gotta stop overreacting and acting like this team is incapable of winning. Sure, we probably should’ve had better seasons out of Fowler, Campbell, Hoffmann, Lockhart etc. But at the same time guys like D’amato and Cohen surprised, 30 and almost 20 points respectively, and that’s not even with the last 8 games of the season. In my opinion though, from what I’ve heard from his past USHL experiences, we might not be keeping Swankler. Although it’s hearsay and I’m not sure it’s true, it can’t hurt to be prepared. In advanced stats our top 6 forwards offensively were: Yetman, Golod, D’amato, Fowler, Swankler, Lockhart. I know someone who does the advanced stats and he told me the top 6 forwards on the team defensively were: Hoffmann, Sellan, D’amato, Yetman, Golod, Sopa. And the two top players (Hoffmann, Sellan) were both much higher ranked than the other players. In my opinion you have to keep that line going into next year. If khusnutdinov signs then we simply begin the full run into the playoffs. As a result we can keep a crowded roster.
Golod-Yetman-Fowler
D’amato-Hoffmann-Sellan
Sproule-Khusnutdinov-Lockhart
Sedore-Cohen-04 1st
Bressette

it should be no question what our top two pairing is, however I think we will probably trade or sign for a defenceman, so we can realistically assume:
Duff-Drysdale
Morton-Trade/import
Kyrou-kischnick
Murphy/gillard

As far as goalies it’s up in the air as to what’s happening but I’d like to imagine we go for a younger goalie for the future, learn from having a championship/contender team in Front of you.
Campbell
???
This team is more than capable of winning a lot, they just got caught in a tough year, riddled with injuries for multiple players, the hardest division in which they play the majority of their games, and of course the coronavirus, this season is disappointing, but it leaves a lot to be expected for next year, which I feel like we will definitely receive.
but hey, I’m just an optimist...

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
^^

I don’t disagree JSmimmons

Injuries and SO/OT losses probably cost them a better season. All things considered, with better coaching and a full schedule of games played.. they probably win 34-36 games.

I think most fans agree, they underachieved relative to their talent. Which is why we also all agree they need new coaching

I don’t think they should blow it up and trade everyone by September but I also don’t think they should just bank on being good next year. If the team is trending upwards, say 3/4 seed by mid season, then probably not going to sell off. Anything less than that? Imo you MUST sell off. And really you have to at least consider it unless you are a 1/2 seed by mid season. Because the reality is that this team will not have the trade capital to add 2/3 big pieces like they did in 2017. At best, they could make 1 big move (which means trading their 2004 first rounder) and 1/2 small moves. AT BEST. And all that does is further set this team back. But they probably aren’t capable of winning a title next year without major moves. Other teams near the top will make those moves. Sure, we could be a 3/4 seed next year but stand pat or make minor tweaks — which ain’t gonna be enough to make a true all in run. To me that’s a waste.

Bottom line? A major sell off is near. The only chance erie has at delaying that is by starting to sign their top imports/Americans or by accepting mediocrity and winning 26-34 games and never selling off. But if you are going to sell off, do it when you have major pieces to move.
I would just prefer to get it over with, especially when you consider Drysdale being a top tier talent to move and Fowler/Golod/Yetman being good talent to move

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
As someone who missed only 3 home games for Disney...

The enthusiasm dropped sharply this year in the stands. That is a HUGE red flag and IMO, all the reason to panic/overreact. No fans/lack support = limited players = limited upside.

That being said, this year was kind of a wake up call. I think the majority of fans who want to see us succeed regularly took this season the hardest with respect to expectations.

Going forward, yes, you kinda do have to put into perspective the team needs to be a middle of the road team year in and year out to keep its head above water and whether it is coaching, scouting, team chemistry/wrong players, something has to change. Maybe not the complete sell off, but the time has come to say is this the team to run or not. If yes, make a 110% commitment. If not, when, 2 years from now, maybe 3? When that doesn't work what do you tell the fans?

The coaching staff needs to go or at least some need to go. Brown is 50/50 IMO and the kids, well, at least on paper we have the kids to be top 5. The organization needs the results for the sake of the fans and the players.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
One of the biggest perks for Erie to recruit players is the passion of the fans. It’s a pretty good facility (top 5 in the league) (especially with the new Erie Sports Bank practice facility). And the fans, when present, are by far the most passionate/engaged and loud ones in the league. If Sportsnet played Erie’s games in 2017 playoff run we would have been the talk of the entire CHL. The fans were insane from about Game 5 vs London and beyond. But Erie fans, with a good team, will be that loud/insane in about 10-12 regular season games throughout the year. Just see 2010-11. Or prior years. At the very least though, the fans need a competitive top 10 team in the league to show up consistently

So when that isn’t happening because the team is bottom 3/4 in the conference, it’s bad news because they can’t recruit players with that tool. It’s one of the reasons Drysdale said he wanted to come here. It 100% matters.

Reactions: OttersFan and Mata
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad