Erie Otters 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This is random, but does anyone else on here think Brown should have picked someone different than Connor Lockhart at #3 in the 2019 Draft? Hindsight is 20/20, and perhaps there were concerns about some guys reporting, but I think Clarke or McTavish would have been better picks here. Pinelli would have been, too, but I don't recall him being talked about that high back in 2019. At #3, you have to go best available. To me, that was/is Clarke.

Lockhart may very well prove me wrong - and I hope he does - however, I can't help but wonder if the franchise wouldn't be a bit further ahead if there was another potential/likely first round NHL draft pick on the roster.

Thoughts?

I think they should have taken Clarke and I remember banging the drum for him pretty loudly here (not that my opinion really matters all that much) but like NOA said, it's possible Clarke wouldn't have reported here. Lockhart still had a pretty solid rookie year and we have no way of knowing how he would have performed this season. Maybe he would have taken a big 2nd year jump and the pick would look better.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
OHL officially cancels season

They also shared that teams will NOT get any picks back for trades they made during last year unless it was part of condition of trade

So Erie really ended up doing GREAT on that Fowler trade. They got one 2nd rounder and one 3rd rounder. There is also a 5th round conditional that I believe is language tied to him playing as OA. Which he now certainly will and I think that pick will eventually convert into a higher round pick as a result.

They also received a 3rd rounder for Murphy who was an OA going into this past year but now likely won’t play again in the league.

Teams who made decisions to “buy” last offseason really should have had the foresight that we were in the early stages of a pandemic and coming off a canceled remaining 2019-20 season... probably not the best time to buy...

I wish Erie would have shopped Drysdale LOL. I’m sure Oshawa would have taken a bite on that. But I’ll take 3 high end picks!!

looking across the league, Erie certainly were “winners” when it comes to trades this past calendar year

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
OHL Draft confirmed for June 5th. Lottery will determine the draft order and the following round will go reverse draft order and that will continue throughout

Obviously this is a crapshoot this year but what do we think Erie does the first round of the draft?

The defense is lined up to have:
Morton 2002
Kyrou 2003
Kulakov 2003
Sova 2004

There are other options with Murphy and Geary. You also have Gilliard/Kischnick as potential OAs. Unfortunately Gilliard has missed too much ice time these last few years to be a legit option imo. Would be a dramatic comeback for him. Kischnick is a serviceable 5/6 but does that warrant an OA spot over the 5 OA forwards? Probably not..

Offense is much more clouded. There are 5 eligible OAs in Hoffmann, Sproule, Sellan, Swankler, DAmato

At least Erie has options there and I definitely likely to see 3 of these 5 stick

That leaves the following 6 as signed players:

Lockhart
Saganiuk
Ross
Sedore
Bressette
Cohen

Kaleb Smith and Cameron Lowe the top forward options unsigned. Would be great if Erie was able to find a “diamond in the rough” prospect right now to fill out the depth.

I think the best option is to keep 3 OA forwards. The forward spots are harder to fill and there are going to be too many rookies. At least on defense you have Morton/Kyrou with experience and Sova/Kulakov with legit upside. Let them play. Going to be a bumpy ride either way..

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019
OHL Draft confirmed for June 5th. Lottery will determine the draft order and the following round will go reverse draft order and that will continue throughout

Obviously this is a crapshoot this year but what do we think Erie does the first round of the draft?

The defense is lined up to have:
Morton 2002
Kyrou 2003
Kulakov 2003
Sova 2004

There are other options with Murphy and Geary. You also have Gilliard/Kischnick as potential OAs. Unfortunately Gilliard has missed too much ice time these last few years to be a legit option imo. Would be a dramatic comeback for him. Kischnick is a serviceable 5/6 but does that warrant an OA spot over the 5 OA forwards? Probably not..

Offense is much more clouded. There are 5 eligible OAs in Hoffmann, Sproule, Sellan, Swankler, DAmato

At least Erie has options there and I definitely likely to see 3 of these 5 stick

That leaves the following 6 as signed players:

Lockhart
Saganiuk
Ross
Sedore
Bressette
Cohen

Kaleb Smith and Cameron Lowe the top forward options unsigned. Would be great if Erie was able to find a “diamond in the rough” prospect right now to fill out the depth.

I think the best option is to keep 3 OA forwards. The forward spots are harder to fill and there are going to be too many rookies. At least on defense you have Morton/Kyrou with experience and Sova/Kulakov with legit upside. Let them play. Going to be a bumpy ride either way..

lowe signed a few weeks back.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
OHL to Conduct First-Ever Draft Lottery in Advance of Priority Selection Presented by Real Canadian Superstore on June 4-5 – Erie Otters

With the 1st pick in the 2021 OHL Draft, the London Knights select ...

No but seriously I worry about the OHL not putting some weight on these odds to select in the top 5 at least. I know it is difficult because there was zero games in 2020-21 and this is cyclical league but I saw someone else mention in a different thread that possibly basing odds on the last 5 years (combined record) would at least allow teams like North Bay, and Flint to have better odds than powerhouses like London and Ottawa. You could even base it on the last 3 seasons or the last 10. Whatever makes you feel better

But I don’t like the idea of equal footing here even though this draft is going to be a crapshoot all things considered.

Let’s just hope Erie doesn’t get unlucky with the 20th pick..
I know most teams are in need of this draft but there are some franchises that need it more than others. Erie needs it more than others

One point to note is how is the OHL going to handle picks that other teams own in rounds 2-15? This will be a snake draft so in theory, If Erie picked 20th overall they would then pick 21 overall? however, Erie doesn’t own their 2021 second (I believe they do own SSMs) so how does that work?

Worst case scenario SSM lands 1 overall, Erie lands 20 overall and Erie gets 20th and then 40th overall? I don’t like the idea of that for the OHL as a whole. They need to (for this year only) remove the ownership rights of each picks and just call it a wash.. if you own one second then you get your own pick not the team you originally acquired it from..

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'd definitely go defense if I was the Otters, they need to add more talent back there. Sova is going to be expected to play top 4 minutes as a "rookie", so I'd target another talented mobile dman to break in on the 3rd pair. Three of the five OAs plus Lockhart/Saganiuk/Ross/Sedore/Bressette/Cohen/Lowe is a solid top 10. Fill in the last 3/4 spots with previously drafted rookies and their 2nd rounder.

For reference I have this for the Otters 2021 picks:

2021 1st SSM 2nd NIA 6th*, 6th 7th 8th 9th 11th 12th 13th, SAR 13th 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->