Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
Did anyone here on this thread attend any of the games? Any observations on the play of the team or any individual surprises? How was the attendance?
I was at Saturday's game. There were maybe a total of 200-250 people there total. Including scouts and players from other teams. Last year there seemed to be a few more. Of course there were 6 teams and 3 games a day, unlike this year.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I thought it was 24 but you are probably right. Though I do believe that Erie had 24 to start last season, but that is just based on me looking at last years roster and adding things up

Regardless, the Singer suspension gives us relief until he comes back. Meaning the OHL would allow him on some protective list. So assuming we trade a defender before the season starts, we would have 23 on opening night
I don’t love the idea of having Gillard/Sellan back in juniors as 2nd year guys. Assuming they are good enough and have the potential to develop, getting 3rd/4th line minutes here is more useful. But ultimately they also need playing time. So if the plan Is to trade someone like Mak in January, then yes makes sense to do that with a guy like Sellan. This is why keeping a guy like Girhiny is totally useless this year.. I want young guys playing. If we plan on really competing in 1-2 years, it will be guys like Gillard and Sellan who can make that difference. Girhiny will be long gone and won’t be impacting this year’s team enough to keep him.

That’s pretty much what I have my lineup list as too. Fowler/Cajka could be flipped as I know Erie had Cajka with Mak and Singer in camp. But other than that I have the same.

I'm not totally sure, I guess we'll see. I agree that I would prefer Girhiny be moved and Sellan/D'Amato rotate on the 4th line but it looks like they're keeping him. Clearing up the logjam D is the most important thing at this point.

They made a mistake releasing Oberoi

Why's that? He got quite a few chances and just didn't step up to the plate and clearly got outplayed in camp or they wouldn't have signed Battaglia. I watched that interview yesterday and I really feel for the kid but this is a high level of hockey, the team is going to do everything they can to ice the best team possible.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Why's that? He got quite a few chances and just didn't step up to the plate and clearly got outplayed in camp or they wouldn't have signed Battaglia. I watched that interview yesterday and I really feel for the kid but this is a high level of hockey, the team is going to do everything they can to ice the best team possible.
I always feel for the kids. Because they are kids. And they put in the work and this is basically their life

But like you said, it’s a high level of hockey and it’s a level where money is at stake. If you don’t win you don’t make money and you won’t last as a franchise. These kids are treated like pros and as a result they are released when they don’t perform

It sucks but he had a chance last year. 28 games and given the chance to be the starter when Troy left. He didn’t seize it. Murphy kinda took it. But he was still given all summer and all camp to show it. They aren’t signing Battaglia if Obi showed he was ready to take on more. So this tells you that oberoi just didn’t improve enough. And they can’t wait any longer for that

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I am getting excited about this team. Just a gut feeling, but I see a championship in 2 years, and a much better team this year than anyone else expects us to be. Goaltending was an issue that I believe has been addressed by management. There is a vibe that these kids have that is somewhere between confidence and cockiness. There is a sense of teamwork, pride, and enthusiasm that I haven't seen for awhile in Erie. Even our 4 good years seemed to lack the "X" factor that I see here. It bodes well for us. Don't be surprised if we end up much higher in the standings than anyone else thinks this season.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I am getting excited about this team. Just a gut feeling, but I see a championship in 2 years, and a much better team this year than anyone else expects us to be. Goaltending was an issue that I believe has been addressed by management. There is a vibe that these kids have that is somewhere between confidence and cockiness. There is a sense of teamwork, pride, and enthusiasm that I haven't seen for awhile in Erie. Even our 4 good years seemed to lack the "X" factor that I see here. It bodes well for us. Don't be surprised if we end up much higher in the standings than anyone else thinks this season.

Imo there are 4 critical X factors to how much improvement we see

1) the goalies - How much did Murphy improve? I like the Battaglia move but if Murphy isn’t better, it won’t be better for Erie

2) Duff/Henry - the defense overall needs to be better but these 2 guys provide size and now experience. They have to take on more and not be as sloppy. Less turnovers will help out the goalies and create more chances for wins

3) Import production - Podd now back on the wing. No excuse now for him to not step up offensively. He has 25-30 goal talent imo. But he has to show it. They need him to take off and Cajka to show he’s a top 3 round NHL pick

4) consistency- last year we blew so many games where we had 2-4 goal leads.. often the lead being in 3rd period. Can’t happen as much this year as it did last year. Fix those issues and that’s already 4-5 wins more than last year ..

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Alright Erie Fans, I come in peace!

I did my western conference preview and I didn't have too many good things to say about Erie.

I even felt bad typing it because I know and respect a lot of Erie Fans and love chatting with ya's.

So i'd like to make a deal!

I've made my predictions here-

Sebastian’s Western Conference Preview

If I am wrong, and Erie does better and cracks a playoff spot, I will gladly eat my words and donate $100 USD to a charity of this threads suggestion.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017

Love the enthusiasm and optimism but I don’t think this group will ever be as good as any roster during the big 4 years. Those 4 years were special especially after more than a decade of mostly crap.
I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see the team finishing higher than 7th this year.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Love the enthusiasm and optimism but I don’t think this group will ever be as good as any roster during the big 4 years. Those 4 years were special especially after more than a decade of mostly crap.
I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see the team finishing higher than 7th this year.
I disagree because that 2015/16 Erie team was overrated. Was a down year for the West. But that roster was not that special. Yes Debrincat and Strome but other than that, it wasn’t much. All the other stars were 16/17 years old.
So this roster could be better and deeper.
but we never know until guys develop. Way too early to predict the team talent in 2 years

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Alright Erie Fans, I come in peace!

I did my western conference preview and I didn't have too many good things to say about Erie.

I even felt bad typing it because I know and respect a lot of Erie Fans and love chatting with ya's.

So i'd like to make a deal!

I've made my predictions here-

Sebastian’s Western Conference Preview

If I am wrong, and Erie does better and cracks a playoff spot, I will gladly eat my words and donate $100 USD to a charity of this threads suggestion.

I really hate predictions. I often catch myself doing them though because seemingly every other poster or guy around the league seems to always pick against Erie. In 2015-16 it was “no McDavid.. let the sell off begin” and people had us at the bottom. In 2016-17 it was “okay now it’s time to rebuild” And we won a title. Last year virtually everyone had us dead last. Yes I know we finished 17th.. not much better.. but we weren’t a dumpster fire which I know was the outside view of how things would go. Consider that the team was just -50 GD last year. they scored more than Windsor but the goalies in Erie were the difference

Also Erie went 11-15-1 post trades.

So my predictions are just so I have proof that I didn’t see this team finishing bottom barrel while (almost) everyone else did.

Erie has some ways to go with rebuilding but what do picks have to do with this year’s record? The 2nd round picks are restocked. We are back to “normal” .. we just are missing a few 3rds which could be recouped through Maksimovich which wouldn’t happen until January

There are questions for me about who develops and how much they do. Plus how good is Hartsburg. But overall, franchise history suggests that when we win 25 or less games, the following year we win about 5-15 more games. I don’t see how we don’t improve...
the picks are a concern that might impact future trades when we want to go for it or future depth of our teams.. but that’s not a today issue. There isn’t much loss for this team and everyone is older.

Once again I just feel people don’t know anything about this team. We seem to always be forgotten.

Last edited:

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
I disagree because that 2015/16 Erie team was overrated. Was a down year for the West. But that roster was not that special. Yes Debrincat and Strome but other than that, it wasn’t much. All the other stars were 16/17 years old.
So this roster could be better and deeper.
but we never know until guys develop. Way too early to predict the team talent in 2 years

I agree that’s the weakest of the 4 years yet that roster still had Dermott, Cernak, both Raddyshs, and Kmak on top of the already mentioned Strome and Debrincat. Like you said yes it was a down year but I don’t see 6-7 guys with that kind of ceiling.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I really hate predictions. I often catch myself doing them though because seemingly every other poster or guy around the league seems to always pick against Erie. In 2015-16 it was “no McDavid.. let the sell off begin” and people had us at the bottom. In 2016-17 it was “okay now it’s time to rebuild” And we won a title. Last year virtually everyone had us dead last. Yes I know we finished 17th.. not much better.. but we weren’t a dumpster fire. Consider that the team was just -50 GD.

So my predictions are just so I have proof that I didn’t see this team finishing bottom barrel while (almost) everyone else did.

Erie has some ways to go with rebuilding but what do picks have to do with this year’s record? The 2nd round picks are restocked. We are back to “normal” .. we just are missing a few 3rds which could be recouped through Maksimovich which wouldn’t happen until January

There are questions for me about who develops and how much they do. Plus how good is Hartsburg. But overall, franchise history suggests that when we win 25 or less games, the following year we win about 5-15 more games. I don’t see how we don’t improve...
the picks are a concern that might impact future trades when we want to go for it or future depth or our teams.. but that’s not a today issue. There isn’t much loss for this team and everyone is older.

Once again I just feel people don’t know anything about this team. We seem to always be forgotten.

I'm not the biggest fan of doing them either but I do find them fun and people do find interest in them.

A lot of things happen in a time line that often affect the prediction. like right now we see alot of inexperience on the roster but we've also seen players fast track in development. Liam Foudy last year is a good example. Had like 12 points for half the year and really turned it around.

The kids are going to get ice time. I think you've got a fantastic coaching staff and I could still see some moves being made to add a little more veteran presence.

Good luck this year and as mentioned, I truly do hope I am wrong.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I agree that’s the weakest of the 4 years yet that roster still had Dermott, Cernak, both Raddyshs, and Kmak on top of the already mentioned Strome and Debrincat. Like you said yes it was a down year but I don’t see 6-7 guys with that kind of ceiling.
Again, T Raddysh and Mak were 17. Darren was a great player in 2016-17 but that was because he exploded that year. The year before he was more of a 3/4 guy, not a force. Cernak was great in 2016-17 but the year before? He was inconsistent and still adjusting.

I don’t think you are getting Debrincat because well nobody will in this league for a long time. But Fowler, Golod, Cajka, Sproule, Drysdale, Duff all appear to be guys with high ceilings. I never expected Dermott, Mak, or Darren to be what they were so who’s to say the same thing can’t happen with someone like Kischnick or Gillard? We just don’t know..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I'm not the biggest fan of doing them either but I do find them fun and people do find interest in them.

A lot of things happen in a time line that often affect the prediction. like right now we see alot of inexperience on the roster but we've also seen players fast track in development. Liam Foudy last year is a good example. Had like 12 points for half the year and really turned it around.

The kids are going to get ice time. I think you've got a fantastic coaching staff and I could still see some moves being made to add a little more veteran presence.

Good luck this year and as mentioned, I truly do hope I am wrong.

I love reading them though! And I respect your thoughts and coming in peace

We shall see. Foudy is a prime example. If a few guys like Poddubyni and Golod take on more and pot some points, then we won’t be at the bottom.
But when you are as young as Erie is, there are so many questions. Somebody has to be last in a prediction. We seem to be popular choice for it. Lol I hope the majority are wrong on this one!

Reactions: SebJHockey

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I love reading them though! And I respect your thoughts and coming in peace

We shall see. Foudy is a prime example. If a few guys like Poddubyni and Golod take on more and pot some points, then we won’t be at the bottom.
But when you are as young as Erie is, there are so many questions. Somebody has to be last in a prediction. We seem to be popular choice for it. Lol I hope the majority are wrong on this one!
Yes I picked Erie to finish last in the west but hear me out on my logic. Yes Erie's core group is one year older but so is Saginaw, Windsor, Guelph, Flint and London - Others are taking a step back this year and as is always the case some key players remain after a run - Kitchener, Sarnia, Soo and Owen Sound so they are not dropping to the bottom.
Erie is a much better team this year but the conference as a whole is stronger at the bottom and top teams from last year are not doing a nose dive so Erie ends up at the bottom even though they are an improved team ( at least that is my prediction ).
Next year they will be still improving and getting strong and I see teams like Kitchener, Sarnia and Owen Sound free falling - Erie will be a 5 to 8 place team next year. But hey predictions are worth exactly what we pay to do them - nothing but a smile and chuckle at the end of the year.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Good logic. It does makes sense. I love it when everyone picks us to be so low. There is nowhere to go but up.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yes I picked Erie to finish last in the west but hear me out on my logic. Yes Erie's core group is one year older but so is Saginaw, Windsor, Guelph, Flint and London - Others are taking a step back this year and as is always the case some key players remain after a run - Kitchener, Sarnia, Soo and Owen Sound so they are not dropping to the bottom.
Erie is a much better team this year but the conference as a whole is stronger at the bottom and top teams from last year are not doing a nose dive so Erie ends up at the bottom even though they are an improved team ( at least that is my prediction ).
Next year they will be still improving and getting strong and I see teams like Kitchener, Sarnia and Owen Sound free falling - Erie will be a 5 to 8 place team next year. But hey predictions are worth exactly what we pay to do them - nothing but a smile and chuckle at the end of the year.
It makes sense yes but the last team to win 30 games and not make the playoffs? SSM in 2003-04

Typically the last place team in the West is winning 22 games or less. That’s a given. Even 9th seed falls around 23-25 wins. Erie won 23 games last year but managed to lose double digits in extra time. I don’t see how they can’t improve on that win total even if just by 3-4 games. And 27-28 wins will not be dead last in the conference, there aren’t enough wins to go around for that to happen

I see sarnia already ready to nose dive. Owen Sound and SSM could if they sell off and don’t get expected players back from nhl. Kitchener is another team.
We don’t know but the logic of “everyone is getting better” is just not valid

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I don't believe for one minute that Erie will be in last place. I know I am an optimist, but I truly believe that this group of kids is special. I have been going to Otter's games since 2002, and have been indirectly involved with the team. I just feel that this is a special group. I guess we shall soon see.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I will be shocked if Erie comes in last. They came in 9th last season with 23 wins and went 6-10 in extra time games and I see no reason why they won't improve this season. It's pretty unreasonable to expect everyone to either improve or not drop off far enough to slip behind Erie. 6th-8th is a fair prediction.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Again, T Raddysh and Mak were 17. Darren was a great player in 2016-17 but that was because he exploded that year. The year before he was more of a 3/4 guy, not a force. Cernak was great in 2016-17 but the year before? He was inconsistent and still adjusting.

I don’t think you are getting Debrincat because well nobody will in this league for a long time. But Fowler, Golod, Cajka, Sproule, Drysdale, Duff all appear to be guys with high ceilings. I never expected Dermott, Mak, or Darren to be what they were so who’s to say the same thing can’t happen with someone like Kischnick or Gillard? We just don’t know..

Dermott, T rad, Debrincat, strome, and cernak were all projected to be top 3 round NHL picks at 17 if not much higher. This group has many young guys like you say none of which are projected to go that high.

I see three with potential to go in the top 3 rounds.

Also Dermott didn’t really come out of no where. Yes he was taken later in the draft, 9th round I believe but he fell because of college options and uncertainty with the OHL.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Thanks for the report. I met him at the Otter's Banquet several weeks ago. He is a very nice kid-as were all the other players I talked to. I can't wait to see him play. He is one of the reasons I believe we will be better than expected this year. I can only imagine how good he will be when he is 18.

Reactions: cberry6

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
If anyone wants a further scouting report on Drysdale, I put together a little piece on him here!

Bottom line: you guys have a stud.

The New Kids: Jamie Drysdale- One of a Kind

Kid is a class act and one hell of a D man. Skating and IQ separate him from others. Watching him develop over the years in the G everyone knew he would be a star. No ego or drama, just worked hard. Erie and the O are lucky to have him!

Reactions: cberry6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino