Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Edwardson has a good shot and skates well, was disappointed when Erie released. Hopefully he catches on in Ottawa.

Top 6 lines at the scrimmage today were:

Maksimovich-Cajka-Singer
Poddubnyi-Fowler-Golod

Apparently they looked good, Singer potted a hat trick. That's a solid top 6 that could surprise some teams. Just some questions marks about the bottom six, namely the 13th/14th forwards.

OU812

Sep 11, 2017
To comment on Hoffmann
Saw him this summer, and he was not dominant. I know it is summer hockey.
Watching him at orientation and here, he holds onto puck too long and gets stick checked too easily. Turnovers are common. He seems to get frustrated really easy too.
My confidence in him to make an impact really depends on if he can address these issues

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Edwardson has a good shot and skates well, was disappointed when Erie released. Hopefully he catches on in Ottawa.

Maksimovich-Cajka-Singer
Poddubnyi-Fowler-Golod

Apparently they looked good, Singer potted a hat trick. That's a solid top 6 that could surprise some teams. Just some questions marks about the bottom six, namely the 13th/14th forwards.

Edwardson was released because I believe he asked for it. If I remember correctly there was issues with him not feeling like he got enough playing time. He’s a decent bottom 6 forward that has some grit to his game, but as a 1999 I don’t really know if I would want him in the bottom 6 this year as the team is young and rebuilding

That’s a strong top 6 if guys like Golod and Podd improved.
Gritz a lock for 3rd line forward. Sproule/Hoffman/Yetman will compete for the wing spots. I personally wouldn’t keep Girhiny but I will imagine he makes the team and at least to start is on the 3rd line. Mack will also make the team. So that leaves 1/2 spots.. Sellan, Cohen, and Mauro I will bet are the most likely.

Defensively it appears like 8 guys will make the roster. All that return from last year plus Drysdale and Kischnick

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
To comment on Hoffmann
Saw him this summer, and he was not dominant. I know it is summer hockey.
Watching him at orientation and here, he holds onto puck too long and gets stick checked too easily. Turnovers are common. He seems to get frustrated really easy too.
My confidence in him to make an impact really depends on if he can address these issues
You have mentioned this in the past.. I’m not going to comment until I see the kid in preseason and then early in the year. Brown and the scouting staff seemed to like him so much that they spent a year trying to sign him.
Holding onto the puck too long can be fixed. Adding strength will fix other issues. If the guy has some natural skills to the game but is just raw, then he is good enough to be a bottom 6 guy this year while he spends all season and next summer trying to improve

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere

Maksimovich-Cajka-Singer
Poddubnyi-Fowler-Golod

Edwardson is in OSHAWA not Ottawa

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I saw Hoffman play 15-20 live in MM. ( very up close ) And a few times last year.
Sure he has things to work on, as do all kids, those picked in later rds even more so.
Hopefully the staff can work with him, build his confidence, put him situations he can build on success.
Hopefully he continues to work on the skating. Wish him the best.

If any1 will potentially have contact with him or Vitug during camp please shoot me a PM.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
From the few minutes I spent talking with Hoffman, he is a real character with a lot of character. He must have something going for him to have aresknights asking about him. Erie has been very successful in developing later round picks. I am sure that he will pan out very well.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I like to think EON knew that, and he was just trolling Gens fans. :)

Haha, just a typo. My mistake.

I'm guessing the team is making the second round of cuts sometime today to get down to the preseason roster? Intrigued to see who sticks around up front. Like ottersguy said it looks like they're just going to go with 8 dmen.

Nothing Else Maattas

Oct 25, 2012
Erie, PA
Offseason is long when you aren't playing until Mid-May, but having a poor year came at a very good time. Switched jobs once again and my brother is getting married in September. Missed my chance to attend the scrimmages this year, but reading the board has me slightly optimistic for the season. Either way the home opener can't come soon enough!

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
NEM, after meeting some of the players at the banquet, I feel very optimistic about this squad. as EON and ottersguy have posted, goaltending will be the difference. Having said that, being that our defense will be bigger, older, faster, and more experienced should help the tending situation. I won't be at the first 2 home games due to a wedding in Portland, OR. That stinks, but the good news is my wife and I will see the opener between Portland Winterhawks and the Seattle Thunderbirds of the WHL. We will be wearing our signed yellow #97 jerseys. I am looking forward to that.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Can someone from the Erie area speculate on why the Otter's high school aged players are attending Fairview this season? Hayden Fowler's parents told us this, and it is posted on the Otter's website. I know that in the past the players had at one time gone to McDowell, Prep, and then more recently done schooling using computers. Is Fairview a good school district? I think it is a smaller one. Does anyone know why the switch? Do they pay for tuition? Where do the college age kids go to school?

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Can someone from the Erie area speculate on why the Otter's high school aged players are attending Fairview this season? Hayden Fowler's parents told us this, and it is posted on the Otter's website. I know that in the past the players had at one time gone to McDowell, Prep, and then more recently done schooling using computers. Is Fairview a good school district? I think it is a smaller one. Does anyone know why the switch? Do they pay for tuition? Where do the college age kids go to school?

I don’t know all the reasons why the change was made but I’m sure it had something to do with Fairview being rated the best public school district in the state last year.
Unless prep were to waive the tuition no way the team is paying 15,000+ per player to go there.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Fairview is a terrific school district. Fairview and Harbor Creek are probably the top two public school districts in the area. Like Puck Patrol said it's probably cheaper and still a quality education.

Reactions: 7D442

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
I don’t know all the reasons why the change was made but I’m sure it had something to do with Fairview being rated the best public school district in the state last year.
Unless prep were to waive the tuition no way the team is paying 15,000+ per player to go there.

Puck Patrol hit the nail on the head...Lived in Fairview since the late 90's..Fairview in general is HOT right now and will continue to be..The schooling here as he mentioned , is top notch and top rated, urban growth and new housing developements are booming here ..Im guessing because it is a public school with a private like school attributes and doesnt have the $15k per year price tag like Prep does.., is what is attracting the Otters players and parents to want one of the best and most desirable small communities that they can get locally..I know they were looking for billets in Fairview and i had to actually pull the plug on the wifes decision as theres too many travel sports here going on now with 3 to be exact....I can tell you from experience w my kids that they are challenged and expected to produce both academically and athletically..2-3 hours of homework starting in 2 nd to 3 rd grade should not come as a shock..It may be too much in my opinion( and again the above is just my opinion)..

If im not mistaken both Strome and DeBrincat lived here as well..

Fairview is hot-the city of Erie ..well..is not

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
on another note-it appears Obi and Murph have themselves a nice battle going for that #1 goaltending spot

cant wait for the season to start- hopefully after the high school football onslaught is over here locally this fall- our attendance will continue to increase and get back to filling the EIA..

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Otters roster for the preseason tournament in Buffalo this weekend:

Forwards:

LW Christian Girhiny
LW Kyle Maksimovich
C Hayden Fowler
RW Daniel D'Amato
C Joseph Mack
RW Chad Yetman
RW Alex Robert
LW Gera Poddubnyi
LW Brendan Sellan
RW Danial Singer
C Petr Cajka
LW Maxim Golod
RW Brendan Hoffman
LW Emmett Sproule
C Alex Gritz

Defenseman:

RD Brendan Kischnick
LD Ryan Martin
RD Jamie Drysdale
RD Aidan Timmermans
LD Josh Wainman
LD Marcus Gillard
LD Jack Duff
LD Kurtis Henry
LD Luke Beamish

Goalies:

Daniel Murphy
Noah Battaglia
Anand Oberoi

15 forwards remaining, comes down to D'Amato, Robert, and Sellan for probably one spot.

9 dmen remaining, I think it's possible they maybe sign Gillard and send him down to Jr B. if he's still sticking around? I'm guessing Erie goes 13 F 8 D to start the season. Maybe they'll sign 2 of the forwards and send one down to Jr. B after Singer's suspension is over to use as a call-up option throughout the season.

Interesting that Battaglia stuck around. Free agent goalie that played Jr. A last season: Noah Battaglia at eliteprospects.com

Terrible GAA but a respective SV %, Milton must have struggled.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Otters roster for the preseason tournament in Buffalo this weekend:

Forwards:

LW Christian Girhiny
LW Kyle Maksimovich
C Hayden Fowler
RW Daniel D'Amato
C Joseph Mack
RW Chad Yetman
RW Alex Robert
LW Gera Poddubnyi
LW Brendan Sellan
RW Danial Singer
C Petr Cajka
LW Maxim Golod
RW Brendan Hoffman
LW Emmett Sproule
C Alex Gritz

Defenseman:

RD Brendan Kischnick
LD Ryan Martin
RD Jamie Drysdale
RD Aidan Timmermans
LD Josh Wainman
LD Marcus Gillard
LD Jack Duff
LD Kurtis Henry
LD Luke Beamish

Goalies:

Daniel Murphy
Noah Battaglia
Anand Oberoi

15 forwards remaining, comes down to D'Amato, Robert, and Sellan for probably one spot.

9 dmen remaining, I think it's possible they maybe sign Gillard and send him down to Jr B. if he's still sticking around? I'm guessing Erie goes 13 F 8 D to start the season. Maybe they'll sign 2 of the forwards and send one down to Jr. B after Singer's suspension is over to use as a call-up option throughout the season.

Interesting that Battaglia stuck around. Free agent goalie that played Jr. A last season: Noah Battaglia at eliteprospects.com

Terrible GAA but a respective SV %, Milton must have struggled.

Milton was horse crap. They dressed like 50 players last year. Just a terrible team. Battaglia is a stud. He might turn some heads.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Milton was horse crap. They dressed like 50 players last year. Just a terrible team. Battaglia is a stud. He might turn some heads.

Erie needs a little competition in preseason games for Murph and Obi so I’m glad to hear he might give them some type of push so they can’t just be complacent

Any of you erie fans read the recent Murphy articles? The first talked about Murphy working very hard on his mental game this summer. Read multiple books on mental toughness and confidence. He felt that was a big reason for his inconsistent play. Says he feels better about his talents and who he is as a goalie.
We all know Murphy had some great moments. Down the stretch he struggled though. Remove his last 6 games and he had a .900 save percentage. He’s a capable decent #1 in this league imo. Certainly a #2. How good can he become is the question.

Another article had Coach Hartsburg talking about the goalie spot. Coach basically said that Murphy has more confidence this year and without directly saying it he said that Murphy appears like he came to camp ready and aggressive to try to take the #1 spot but that he needs to see more from Obi

So can Battaglia push Obi? At the very least if he has a good preseason game (have to think he gets 1 full game..) does Erie sign him? If he’s willing than Erie definitely should if they like him. Need that #3 option because I don’t really have the confidence that Obi has improved. I believe Murphy has but if they get .875-.885 inconsistent play from Obi again early this year.. they simply can’t hold on to him much longer

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie signs 4 guys to standard agreements

G Noah Battaglia (FA invite)
Daniel D’Amato (1st Otters commit from U-18 selection draft)
Marcus Gillard (13th rd 2017)
Brendan Sellan (5th rd 2017)

This means that likely all make team. Would imagine Erie carries 14 forwards to start the year. Eventually 1 could be traded or someone released but I expect 14 guys carried on the roster.

On defense, we won’t be carrying 9 for long. Someone (and probably a guy like Wainman) will have to be moved soon. Eventually expect a 2000 to be shopped. But Gillard is a nice signing as he adds some size to the defense. Another late round find for Erie?

Battaglia is the important news. He supposedly had a great year with Milton. But faced 50-60 shots most night on bad team. On roster for WJAC Canada East in December as backup goalie. Then invited to Erie in May for their rookie camp. He goes to Halfix Mooseheads training camp 2 weeks ago but leaves early on his own merit to come to erie’s camp. Idk what the full story is with all that or his bottom line talent and potential but this appears like a possible good to great signing. I like Murphy and the potential but Obi as a 1999 just had to improve a good amount to make it worth keeping him. If Battaglia is at least what Obi gives you (which it appears he is probably .. and maybe more) than it’s obvious you go with him, he’s younger and gives you a fresh look.
This ruins his NCAA eligibility though and I had read up online that he was looking at that option. So have to think he feels very confident that he will make this team or at the very least erie promised him some regular season game action to earn it.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Really like these signings. I definitely think Erie may look to move someone like Wainman to clear up the logjam on D and wouldn't rule out Gillard/Sellan/D'Amato seeing some action in a lower league this season. Battaglia could push Oberoi out, will be interesting to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad