Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
When you have a young team this happens.. they get over confident after a game like 12-1.
I figured it would happened. Now a week of practice to wake up.
Though I agree that Girhiny is better than last year, the guy is not a top 6 forward. I don’t understand why we have him in the top 6 with Singer our.. imo go with this..

Mak-Fowler-Podd
Golod-Cajka-Sproule
Girhiny-Gritz- Yetman

Or swap Yetman and Sproule. Imo Sproule should be getting the top 6 ice while Singer is out. Gives him a chance to show his development and could be good for him. Or I would rather have Yetman for his size.

I couldn’t agree more with taking Girhiny out of the top 6. Like you said give Sproles a chance at the top 6 and see what happens. He did start Saturday’s game on the second line but I don’t remember if stayed there.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I couldn’t agree more with taking Girhiny out of the top 6. Like you said give Sproles a chance at the top 6 and see what happens. He did start Saturday’s game on the second line but I don’t remember if stayed there.
Here’s my theory with it - if we are rebuilding (which we are) let’s give the young guys ice time. Now I would agree that Girhiny should be above guys like Sellan but he should not be ahead of someone like Sproule that has upside and more importantly someone who we need to show his upside and develop. Sproule cant be on the 3rd line all year in a rebuild season imo. Find a way to get him more ice and with Singer out he would be the one benefiting for the brief 8 games

Otherwise, if your goal is to be a better team than last year than still Sproule gives you a better shot than Girhiny. Girhiny is who he is .. a 30-35 pt guy (and that’s a maybe with top 6/9 ice time). He’s limited. If this team wants to be better than last year - guys like Sproule stepping up and having a big year is what will do it, not Girhiny. And if the goal is to be bottom 3/4 team again, then Sproule is 3 years younger and provides much more potential

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
What can we expect from the Otters tonight? Players to watch etc. How’s the goalie(s). Obviously attendance is down since the rebuild started. Sure were spoiled for awhile :)

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Looks like Hamilton has traded for Dman Josh Wainman from Erie......not sure of all the details

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Wainman traded to Hamilton for a 10th in 2019. Obviously thought he'd get more than that but it's better than nothing and at least they found him a place to play.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
I know this is a little premature, but does anyone else think that Hartsburg may not be the guy for this team?

Take the Flint game out and this team has two goals in three games and have been badly outplayed by what should be average teams. It seems in the games (last night as an example) the team plays well in the first and then opposing teams adjust in the second/third and take it to Erie. That was particularly true last year with a younger team but that season was a write off. It seems to be a similar story through the three losses this year as well.

Tonights game will be big for this team as the frustration in some players was noticeable last night I thought.

Reactions: ottersfan00

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Not sure about that, but I see your point. I was going to post something last year, but bit my lip, since they played well in the 2nd half of the season. In particular, the older kids who played under Kris Knoblauch seemed to be a bit put off. Coach K was just, plain and simple, a great coach. He was tough, but he praised the kids when they did well. He had a big personality. He was gregarious. I can't say the same about Hartsburg. His brow is always furrowed, and he never gives the kids compliments that I can see. I know some would argue that it doesn't matter, but it does matter. In my career I worked for bosses who were personable and praised me when I did well. I also worked for people who never smiled, were cranky, and always pointed out what I did wrong. So...who would you rather work for?

Reactions: ottersfan00

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I definitely have some concerns about Hartsburg, but will withhold judgement for now. If they struggle to improve the rest of the season I think they should consider turning the team over to BJ Adams.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I definitely have some concerns about Hartsburg, but will withhold judgement for now. If they struggle to improve the rest of the season I think they should consider turning the team over to BJ Adams.

I think you need to give him a better team before judging him. he’s not running strome, mcdavid, debrinkat out there like the last guy

Reactions: Animal House

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
I know this is a little premature, but does anyone else think that Hartsburg may not be the guy for this team?

Take the Flint game out and this team has two goals in three games and have been badly outplayed by what should be average teams. It seems in the games (last night as an example) the team plays well in the first and then opposing teams adjust in the second/third and take it to Erie. That was particularly true last year with a younger team but that season was a write off. It seems to be a similar story through the three losses this year as well.

Tonights game will be big for this team as the frustration in some players was noticeable last night I thought.

I think you might be onto something with Hartsburg. It's not that I think he's a bad coach or that I have a problem with any particular decisions of his, I just think the organization should be open to a change if the right guy comes along. It's probably unreasonable to expect Erie to get another Knoblauch - who already had a championship pedigree when hired. That said, if there's a good candidate out there with a forward-looking vision and a decent enough track record, they shouldn't be afraid to move on from Hartsburg. Familiarity for the sake of familiarity is simply not a good strategy for building a winning club.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Erie 3rd rounder from last year commits to Miami

If they weren't already, Erie is going to be offering Alexander everything they possibly can now. Only had 3 picks in the first 4 rounds and now 2/3 of them have committed to NCAA. 10 points in 13 games for Alexander in the OJHL

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie 3rd rounder from last year commits to Miami

If they weren't already, Erie is going to be offering Alexander everything they possibly can now. Only had 3 picks in the first 4 rounds and now 2/3 of them have committed to NCAA. 10 points in 13 games for Alexander in the OJHL

Frankie attended both the rookie camp and training camp for Erie
So I’m not going to sit here and say he has 0 interest in Erie. The guy was cut early out of camp because he is vastly undersized. So until he gets stronger/bigger he can’t be a legit OHL player. That being said, he will likely get stronger and bigger eventually. I would say that this could be a simple case of Frankie giving him self that option. The offer was there and he committed. To say that Erie can’t still sign him is ridiculous and I would say they still have a good shot with him

As for Alexander - the owner and GM have paid the guy visits. Drysdale is in his ear. Supposedly he wants to stay at home this year and play junior. But he also went to rookie camp for Erie. So trust me when I say that Erie is not done pursuing him and though he’s leaning college now... he still is giving Erie a thought.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
....I would say that this could be a simple case of Frankie giving him self that option. The offer was there and he committed. To say that Erie can’t still sign him is ridiculous and I would say they still have a good shot with him

As for Alexander - the owner and GM have paid the guy visits. Drysdale is in his ear. Supposedly he wants to stay at home this year and play junior. But he also went to rookie camp for Erie. So trust me when I say that Erie is not done pursuing him and though he’s leaning college now... he still is giving Erie a thought.

Who said Erie can't still sign him...? Lol

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Frankie attended both the rookie camp and training camp for Erie
So I’m not going to sit here and say he has 0 interest in Erie. The guy was cut early out of camp because he is vastly undersized. So until he gets stronger/bigger he can’t be a legit OHL player. That being said, he will likely get stronger and bigger eventually. I would say that this could be a simple case of Frankie giving him self that option. The offer was there and he committed. To say that Erie can’t still sign him is ridiculous and I would say they still have a good shot with him

"Trust me when I say That Erie is not done pursuing him"

Are you really acting like you have inside knowledge by saying that a team will want to sign their 2nd pick of the most recent draft...? Lol dude. C'mon now. That's the biggest "no shit" of all time

The biggest concern is (for now) they only sign 1 guy in the first 4 rounds of the most recent draft with the other 2 going NCAA and they get no future assets for their top player (Lodnia). That's a brutal draft+offseason for a rebuild

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Who said Erie can't still sign him...? Lol
I never was implying that you said. Just for every Erie fan in general.

He committed. I don’t find it to be any shock or breaking news. A player of his size might be better suited for college in 3-4 years. So it’s no shock that he did

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
"Trust me when I say That Erie is not done pursuing him"

Are you really acting like you have inside knowledge by saying that a team will want to sign their 2nd pick of the most recent draft...? Lol dude. C'mon now. That's the biggest "no ****" of all time

The biggest concern is (for now) they only sign 1 guy in the first 4 rounds of the most recent draft with the other 2 going NCAA and they get no future assets for their top player (Lodnia). That's a brutal draft+offseason for a rebuild

I don’t get why you attacking me..

All I’m saying is that it’s not like Erie will quit trying. They will keep pushing and pushing. So just because Alexander didn’t sign yet does not mean he won’t end up here. It won’t be for a lack of trying.. that’s all.
Let’s give it 1-2 years before actually judging the draft. That’s my point.

Im not going to comment much on the Lodnia move. We have talked about it at length here.. reality is you have a guy in Lodnia who said “I want traded. NOW. And I only want these 2 teams”

What could erie do? They don’t want that attitude still on the team so they had to move him immediately. Only 2 teams? Who’s to say the other was a team that said to Erie “we aren’t interested in making trades this early in the game”

And guess what .. that left niagara. So yes it sucks but it’s not like Erie had much to do. I blame it on brown not having niagara cough up at least 1 2nd rounder for respect sake. But clearly niagara also was being ridiculous.
It sucks but too late to cry about it now. I also don’t think lodnia was getting us more than 3 higher picks (with no players). It’s not like he was Taylor Raddysh

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I have a good friend who is a billet and is involved with the team. We talked at length about the Lodnia trade. There was absolutely nothing that Brown could do about it. In fact, Lodnia had his locker cleaned out a few weeks before last season ended. There isn't any concern for me about the situation. I believe that Singer will be a great player for Erie. He is the kind of player that we need. As far as NCAA commitments, Erie is not the only team that will have trouble getting players to report. More and more players are going that route because of the value of a university degree. That trend will continue to grow. Erie still is one of the better destinations of choice for major junior hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad