Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Really looking forward to see this kid play ..!!!

And prove everyone wrong about their predictions .. especially those who predict us being last .What a load of crap .. those 4 -50 win seasons sure did chap some people and I think people hope that we stay down in the basement ..if we would have it would have been last year ..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Really looking forward to see this kid play ..!!!

And prove everyone wrong about their predictions .. especially those who predict us being last .What a load of crap .. those 4 -50 win seasons sure did chap some people and I think people hope that we stay down in the basement ..if we would have it would have been last year ..
I definitely feel that we don’t get respect or aren’t well liked for whatever reason. The dead last predictions are insane. I totally agree, it would have been last year if it did happen.. it didn’t.
Yes the draft picks are a concern too and we need more but we are very good at drafting and drafting in the late rounds. And that can compensate for the few 3rds we are missing . We need to recoup picks if we want to be title contenders again but our ability to draft will keep this team much better off than most and much better off than where we were in the mid 2000s.

There are young superstars on this team in Fowler and Drysdale. Sproule/Golod/Cajka have high potential as well and we shall see this year what they have improved on

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
I don't know why so many of you are upset about the last in conference predictions. It is a real possibility. In my mind, it comes down to goaltending. If there is marked improvement over last season, this can be a playoff team. If we get the kind of net minding that we got last season, then last in conference is possible. I'm optimistic.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I don't know why so many of you are upset about the last in conference predictions. It is a real possibility. In my mind, it comes down to goaltending. If there is marked improvement over last season, this can be a playoff team. If we get the kind of net minding that we got last season, then last in conference is possible. I'm optimistic.

Comes down to fans of a team just not wanting to admit that they are or may be a last place team. The only problem I've seen is, I've seen more Erie fans take offense to it then most teams.

Also to the poster who said those 4 50 win seasons sure did chap some people.....they didn't. If you want me to be quite honest, most fans around the league where happy for Erie. Those where 4 well constructed teams. Those teams where cleanly built. People don't just hate you because you win. And to your other comment about how other people want to see you finish in the basement, again why?

If you ask me and it was well documented in my predictions post, there is nothing that currently separates Erie from teams like Sarnia, Kitchener, Flint. If Soo decides to sell off add them as well. Any one of those 3 and possibly 4 teams could finish last and it shouldn't shock anyone. Even Guelph missed the playoffs twice in a rebuild and in the 2nd year had guys like Liam Hawel, Nate Schnarr, Isaac Ratcliffe, Garrett McFadden, Ryan Merkley and Givani Smith which if you ask me is a lot more then what Erie currently has.

Erie has pieces to be excited about. Drysdale is going to be a stud. Sproule is a future leader. Golod is going to improve, So much so that I think he gets selected next year in the nHL Draft, Fowler will get better, Poddubnyi will get better. The rest is a lot of "what ifs" if you ask me.

Overall, for fans like me who loved making trips down to Erie, eating at the olive garden and then being part of the post game honkers club lol, sitting in an arena with probably the best, loudest fans in the league, I wouldn't be shocked to see Erie maybe slip into the 8th spot, I also wouldn't be surprised if they finished last. If teams like Sarnia and Kitchener where getting 100% gutted I would say yes Erie should take a leap this year, but those teams still have pieces that allow them to hover in the 6-10 area.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Comes down to fans of a team just not wanting to admit that they are or may be a last place team. The only problem I've seen is, I've seen more Erie fans take offense to it then most teams.

Also to the poster who said those 4 50 win seasons sure did chap some people.....they didn't. If you want me to be quite honest, most fans around the league where happy for Erie. Those where 4 well constructed teams. Those teams where cleanly built. People don't just hate you because you win. And to your other comment about how other people want to see you finish in the basement, again why?

If you ask me and it was well documented in my predictions post, there is nothing that currently separates Erie from teams like Sarnia, Kitchener, Flint. If Soo decides to sell off add them as well. Any one of those 3 and possibly 4 teams could finish last and it shouldn't shock anyone. Even Guelph missed the playoffs twice in a rebuild and in the 2nd year had guys like Liam Hawel, Nate Schnarr, Isaac Ratcliffe, Garrett McFadden, Ryan Merkley and Givani Smith which if you ask me is a lot more then what Erie currently has.

Erie has pieces to be excited about. Drysdale is going to be a stud. Sproule is a future leader. Golod is going to improve, So much so that I think he gets selected next year in the nHL Draft, Fowler will get better, Poddubnyi will get better. The rest is a lot of "what ifs" if you ask me.

Overall, for fans like me who loved making trips down to Erie, eating at the olive garden and then being part of the post game honkers club lol, sitting in an arena with probably the best, loudest fans in the league, I wouldn't be shocked to see Erie maybe slip into the 8th spot, I also wouldn't be surprised if they finished last. If teams like Sarnia and Kitchener where getting 100% gutted I would say yes Erie should take a leap this year, but those teams still have pieces that allow them to hover in the 6-10 area.

I don’t disagree that they can finish in last place. Of course it’s possible when they aren’t going to be a top 5/6 team in the conference. Yes it’s possible. But I actually think a team like sarnia is more likely to be in the basement over Erie.

I don’t love the comparison to Guelph though. Guelph won 13 games before improving to 21.
Erie last year won 23 games. So if they see the same game improvement they will win 31.. Guelph still improved in year 2 of their rebuild

Also- you say Guelphs talent of Hawel, Ratcliffe, Schnarr, Merkley, Smith, McFadden is “a lot more than Erie has”

That I think is far from the truth. You have to remember those Guelph players going into that year. And Mak > Smith. Merkley was a rookie just like Drysdale. I think Podd can produce 18g and 36 points like Schnarr did that year since Podd actually did it last year for Erie (those exact stats). Ratcliffe was coming off 13 points for a rookie.. Fowler had more.
So I don’t necessarily think Guelph had “a lot more talent” as you word it. In fact I find it similar at best and more likely that Erie proves this year they had more than that 2016-17 Guelph team

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Victor Fernandes posted an interview with Coach Hartsburg today. Hartsburg said Murphy is the #1 guy but expects Battaglia to push him. Also seemed like Murphy/Battaglia just outworked Oberoi and that's why he lost his spot.

He also mentioned that Erie is set up front, especially with Singer's suspension, but they plan on getting down to 7 or 8 dmen after this weekend. Not sure if that means trade/waiver or if someone will be sent down to a lower league (Kischnick/Gillard?).

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie announces they will be making a player announcement tomorrow- a player agreement with someone from 2018 draft

Gosh I hope it is Alexander. I would be absolutely stunned since he didn’t come to training camp and what would have changed.. other than Drysdale convincing more. But he was at the rookie camp in May.

Who else could it be though? Their roster is mostly set so who else would they have had at camp, cut them, then brought them back 2 weeks later to sign? Only for them not to play this year?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Cajka officially signed yesterday, no surprise.

But yes I'm very intrigued about this signing. It's odd timing considering they sent the rest of the 2018 picks home. I will be thrilled if it's Alexander but not counting on it.

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
Hope its Alexander!! Kid puts up some big numbers. He's currently playing in the OJHL

YearTeamGPGAPTSPIM
2017-18 Toronto Marlboros 58353671
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Notes: Ryan is a playmaking centre that is very creative when he has the puck on his stick. He is a good skater that will only get better as he gets more lower body strength. He has very good puck skills and is more of a pass-first type of player He sees the ice well and sets up his linemates for scoring chances. Ryan has a very high hockey sense as he rarely makes poor decisions on the ice. He is the centre for arguably one of the top lines in his age group and plays in every situation.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Cajka officially signed yesterday, no surprise.

But yes I'm very intrigued about this signing. It's odd timing considering they sent the rest of the 2018 picks home. I will be thrilled if it's Alexander but not counting on it.
I don’t think it will be either but if not it would have to be someone that actually came to training camp and impressed. But then why not keep that said player for 1-2 preseason games

The timing is odd considering their entire preseason roster is now signed

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
This late in the game its either about politics or money. Feel sorry for the player that's being replaced.
Unless it’s alexander, this player won’t make the roster. No chance.
It would have to be a guy that went to camp but then got released? So not good enough for full time O this year

Fernandes thinks it’s a goalie but the only goalie drafted in 2018 is Campbell who is looking college and did not attend camp. It can’t be him.

Ethan Ritchie a possibility. Defender with upside. But with 9 guys now and all 9 capable of being here next year .. 7 capable of being here the next 2 years.. seems odd for it to even be a defender

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Aidan Campbell doesn't really make sense to me since he's American, they can't stick him in Jr. A or Jr. B in Canada. And you like mentioned he didn't attend camp.

I really don't know who this is going to be, I guess by best bet is it's one of the 2018 forward picks that showed well at camp and they're going to sign him now and he'll just keep playing in a lower league, maybe see some call up action. But we'll know for sure in about 90 minutes.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Cohen is going to play in the 2 preseason games this weekend against London before going back to Tier II (playing midget I believe). Seems like a good signing, a little undersized but he has speed and skill. Brown compared him to Golod.

Only domino left to fall before the season begins next Saturday is the defense. 1 or 2 bodies have to go.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Cohen is going to play in the 2 preseason games this weekend against London before going back to Tier II (playing midget I believe). Seems like a good signing, a little undersized but he has speed and skill. Brown compared him to Golod.

Only domino left to fall before the season begins next Saturday is the defense. 1 or 2 bodies have to go.

Appears to be a good signing. The kid is 139lbs... that’s why he’s not playing full time this year. He needs to add another 20 to his frame. But I have read he has OHL skills so it’s a good signing to lock him up

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Appears to be a good signing. The kid is 139lbs... that’s why he’s not playing full time this year. He needs to add another 20 to his frame. But I have read he has OHL skills so it’s a good signing to lock him up

Honest assessment of Cohen (saw a ton of Miss Sens last year): He had only 8 goals last season in minor midget as the #1 centre with Sebastian Bulovs on his wing, who's a stud. Otters fans hoping I'm wrong, but I really don't see him translating into an OHL player. Small guy so he'd need to be a top 6 to be affective. Can't throw him on line 3/4 and expect to get energy from him. he's got to be top 6 and PP guy to be useful, and I just don't see it. Hopefully a year of tier 2 does wonders for him

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Honest assessment of Cohen (saw a ton of Miss Sens last year): He had only 8 goals last season in minor midget as the #1 centre with Sebastian Bulovs on his wing, who's a stud. Otters fans hoping I'm wrong, but I really don't see him translating into an OHL player. Small guy so he'd need to be a top 6 to be affective. Can't throw him on line 3/4 and expect to get energy from him. he's got to be top 6 and PP guy to be useful, and I just don't see it. Hopefully a year of tier 2 does wonders for him

I respect your assessment but I’m going to base my opinion on things I’ve heard from actual OHL scouts. All of which have said he’s an extremely hard worker with OHL skills. He simply needs to gain the weight and he will be an OHL player.

Erie doesn’t make these types of signings. Very rare. So when they do, erie fans should be a little intrigued. They never do it this way with signings. So they basically said we like you, we want you, but we need you to gain some weight/strength.
How many people had Max Golod being anything when Erie drafted him in the bottom few rounds in 2016? Raise your hand if you did.. (I see zero hands). I’m sure home scouts would have said the same about Golod at that time “not an OHL guy” .. otherwise he would have been a top 2/3 round pick. Golod had 5 goals and 11 assists in 33 games in last year with MM. Reality is that not every player in minors can be a stud. The best drafting organizations are the ones that can identify skills that actually translate - and know how to develop them.
This is why erie has had success from rounds 5-15 more than most or all teams across the league since 2010. They are good at it. So I believe they know what they are doing. Not saying Elias will develop like Golod but there is a chance. Even if he is a Pettit like producer with points but plays a good 2 way game.. it’s a great signing

As for the size, you can still be effective on the bottom 6 and be undersized. Kyle Mak was his first year, Girhiny has been somewhat effective, and many others come to mind. The OHL is not an agressive fighting league anymore

I’m willing to give it time and see how he actually looks in a year. It’s just a signing. Not like Erie is banking on this guy to lead the team in goals one day

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
The Otters must see something in his play that they like. I agree with ottersguy on this one. I recall some 6 or 7 years ago some little dude from Michigan who wasn't drafted because he was too small. Erie took a look at him and signed him. He did ok for the Otters. Anyone recall his name?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The timing is strange, you'd think they would have done this when he was here for main camp but Brown compared him to Golod which is a favorable comparison. Hopefully he has a big season in midget getting a lot of playing time and comes in ready to play next season.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The timing is strange, you'd think they would have done this when he was here for main camp but Brown compared him to Golod which is a favorable comparison. Hopefully he has a big season in midget getting a lot of playing time and comes in ready to play next season.
The timing is strange but is it possible that when he was at camp 2 weeks ago Erie offered him a contract.. but informed him that they felt he needed another year in minors. And Elias simply told them he needed time to think about it. Maybe he was considering other options.
Who knows but something like that would explain it

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The Otters have made Wainman and Timmermans available for trade and they're not on the regular season roster, this gets the team down to 7 D. Wainman I could see fetching a mid round pick for a team that needs a decent '99, Timmermans may end up getting waived.

I'm guessing the D going into the season will be:

Martin-Beamish
Duff-Drysdale
Henry-Kischnick
Gillard

Bit of a youth movement but I'm glad they're doing it. They'll reap the benefits next season with all of these guys eligible to return and only Martin will be an OA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad