Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJFAN

Sep 17, 2015
Battaglia incredible run last 3 years. Does not make AAA in minor midget, plays AA, then year GMHL, cut from some OJHL camps, lands Milton where he sees a ton of shots and plays very well and makes JRA all start team. If given chance he may grab #1 spot

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Battaglia incredible run last 3 years. Does not make AAA in minor midget, plays AA, then year GMHL, cut from some OJHL camps, lands Milton where he sees a ton of shots and plays very well and makes JRA all start team. If given chance he may grab #1 spot

I think both spots are totally up for grabs. Dave Brown said basically just that.

The comments from coach though seem to indicate that Murphy has so far earned first crack at the #1 spot. But it’s still up for grabs. Wouldn’t shock me if Oberoi is cut before the season. This doesn’t seem like a signing both sides make unless Battaglia makes the team. If he does, he will be given his chance at playing time
I also wonder how much Shane Clifford played a role in this signing and how the goalie situation shapes out to be

MAGA1776

Aug 16, 2018
The Battaglia signing is exciting news. I watched one Milton games last season. They had a call up goalie named"Kidd". Complete disaster of a goalie. As a result, I didn't have Battaglia on my radar.

The big question is Obi. I like to think there are four key attributes to a successful goalie, one earned, two genetic, and one that comes down to family money & connections.

1. God given Athletic Talent - genetic
2. Height - genetic
3. Grit - earned
4. Money for private training, and a bit of luck / Nepotism in the minor leagues.

IMO, a good goalie needs at least two out of four. A great NHL goalie needs the first three. Obi has height, reasonable grit, and as far as I can tell, given he attended a private hockey academy, he has number 4 in spades.

What he seems to lack is any real God given athleticism. You can't teach that, it's just there or it isn't. Erie has invested years into his development. They have passed over numerous young prospects and now need to make a final decision. Do you continue down this road and send Battaglia off with all the other potential future number ones, or do you move on. I really don't know the answer to that, I think it depends on how things go this weekend.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Not a good start for Oberoi, Windsor scores 5 goals on 27 shots. Although the game may have been a little open being so early in the season, hard to tell from box score. I'm sure they'll give Battaglia a game this weekend.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The Battaglia signing is exciting news. I watched one Milton games last season. They had a call up goalie named"Kidd". Complete disaster of a goalie. As a result, I didn't have Battaglia on my radar.

The big question is Obi. I like to think there are four key attributes to a successful goalie, one earned, two genetic, and one that comes down to family money & connections.

1. God given Athletic Talent - genetic
2. Height - genetic
3. Grit - earned
4. Money for private training, and a bit of luck / Nepotism in the minor leagues.

IMO, a good goalie needs at least two out of four. A great NHL goalie needs the first three. Obi has height, reasonable grit, and as far as I can tell, given he attended a private hockey academy, he has number 4 in spades.

What he seems to lack is any real God given athleticism. You can't teach that, it's just there or it isn't. Erie has invested years into his development. They have passed over numerous young prospects and now need to make a final decision. Do you continue down this road and send Battaglia off with all the other potential future number ones, or do you move on. I really don't know the answer to that, I think it depends on how things go this weekend.

I don’t disagree with much of what you say. But Erie passing over numerous young guys for Oberoi is far from true. He was their best option last year. Partly because their recent high pick (2nd round) goalie was a major bust in Lawr. Lawr is just now hitting his OA year eligibility but when Erie spent a 2nd rounder on him they expected at least a 3-4 year goalie. Other than that we didn’t bail on anyone for Obi. There just wasn’t anyone else. I don’t know what happened with Bernard but he was the only other guy since Colton Point went NCAA.

Erie had no options last year once they released Timpano. They only had 2 guys signed and 2 guys even OHL capable. They did the right thing and reasonably gave them split time for 3 months in 2nd half of year. Then going into the offseason they told them both to get better and that the job is up for grabs. Which is fair and all you can do at that point.
As Hartsburg said, Murphy so far has appeared almost like he wants it more or has done more for himself. Oberoi came to camp without improving to the level they needed to see. So this Battaglia kid who appears like he might have some potential shows up.. it leaves Erie wanting to sign him

I guarantee the mindset is this - Murphy has one spot. The other spot is open. Erie can’t trust Oberoi so signing Battaglia allows them to either move on from Oberoi before the reg season starts or prepare to move on from him early in the year. But Battaglia gives them an “out” and another option. They aren’t trapped with Oberoi.

Imo oberoi was on the outside looking in. 5 GA on 27 shots will not help him one bit. Erie has 4 preseason games to go. Would imagine Battaglia gets one this weekend and so does Murphy. If Battaglia plays good-great, that will be tough for Obi to come back from.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Did anyone here on this thread attend any of the games? Any observations on the play of the team or any individual surprises? How was the attendance?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Did anyone here on this thread attend any of the games? Any observations on the play of the team or any individual surprises? How was the attendance?
I was able to attend on Saturday vs Flint
Couple of takeaways

Fowler looks most improved from players I was able to see. No Podd in lineup. Duff and Sproule also appear like they are poised to take next step

Cajka is a strong 2 way player. He has top level skills and if he adjusts quickly, he can be a late 1st or early 2nd round nhl pick

Drysdale- what to even say. That kid is special. I heard it said but man seeing him live is another thing. His skating at 16 can’t be better. Mcdavid the only one across all OHL players I’ve seen in my life who has had such flawless skating for a 15/16 year old. The scary thing is what will happen when he’s 18/19 years old. I don’t expect Jamie to play top minutes initially but he seems confident, mature, and capable of handling things as a rookie. So by mid season, he will surely be getting top 4 mins

Battaglia looked solid for his first game action. Imo he’s better than oberoi. Wanted to see Murphy play but was glad I got to see Battaglia. I think he should be our backup this year

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Thanks, Otterguy. I was beginning to wonder if anyone went to the games. We sat with Fowler at the banquet. Man, is he bulked up. I see a really good year from him.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Murphy stopped 27/28 Sunday against Hamilton to get the win for Erie, coupled with what the coaches have said about him he seems like the clear #1 right now. It comes down to Battaglia vs. Oberoi for the back up spot and it doesn't look good for Oberoi.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
It's good the team has the goalie situation settled and I feel much more confident going forward with Murphy and Battaglia but you have to feel for Oberoi. Hope he catches on somewhere.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
I Wish Obi well and we welcome Battaglia ..!!!

Can someone give me info on him as far as age -H-W- how long could he play here for ? Was this the prospect who’s dad had played (G) in a pro league -any info appreciated ..I think he had played a pre season game but not sure how he did ..someone catch me up-thx

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

Can someone give me info on him as far as age -H-W- how long could he play here for ? Was this the prospect who’s dad had played (G) in a pro league -any info appreciated ..I think he had played a pre season game but not sure how he did ..someone catch me up-thx

Battaglia is an '00, same age as Murphy, turns 19 in March. So he can play here two years then potentially his OA season, but at that point Erie wouldn't keep both Murphy and Battaglia as OAs.

No, Jackson Bernard's father played in the ECHL, including a stop with the Erie Panthers back in the '90s.

He played Saturday against Flint and stopped 30/34 shots in the 4-3 loss.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

When I saw him play Saturday I immediately thought “better than oberoi” and I knew this was going to likely happen.. they simply had to keep Battaglia

Really the writing was on the wall when they signed him. A 2000 isn’t signing unless he’s making the team.. especially when that 2000 was vocal in interviews that I saw with him that he was looking at the college route.

Who knows what his ceiling can be. At least I feel comfortable in saying that he can be a solid to good backup in this league. I think he has the potential for more. And working with Shane Clifford will help.
Another good thing about this signing is he is a 2000. So erie really doesn’t have to worry about their net situation for the next 2 full seasons assuming these guys play to their abilities. Yes they won’t keep both as OAs in 2020-21 but now they have options and will certainly keep the best guy available that season. So their #1 starter could be locked up for the next 3 years. Again: they are much more protected in net with this signing. Plus it could push Murphy much more

I’m intrigued though. I keep seeing outsiders and people who watch or scout OJHL say that this kid could be special or is a stud. So maybe we have something big here..

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
Hey folks, I'm planning on making my first trip to Erie for a game in November. (been to Erie a few times but never for a game) I was wondering where the best place to sit at the game is? Is there a section that we should avoid? Is there parking on site? I'm bringing my daughter who wants to go shopping for the day before the game. Is there a decent mall? I figured we would eat somewhere on Peach street. How far from Peach street is the arena? Thanks in advance for any help!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hey folks, I'm planning on making my first trip to Erie for a game in November. (been to Erie a few times but never for a game) I was wondering where the best place to sit at the game is? Is there a section that we should avoid? Is there parking on site? I'm bringing my daughter who wants to go shopping for the day before the game. Is there a decent mall? I figured we would eat somewhere on Peach street. How far from Peach street is the arena? Thanks in advance for any help!

Not really a bad seat in that building. I prefer sitting in the middle height level of any section. If you want to see the IceDogs attack 2 times, you’ll want to sit on the end that does not have the bowl.
The millcreek mall has everything. Close to 200 stores and all accessible inside. Much shopping can be done. That is on upper peach street where most of your restaurants will be. The mall and upper peach street is about a 15 minute ride to the EIA. Not a bad drive at all

Reactions: fishfan51

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
Not really a bad seat in that building. I prefer sitting in the middle height level of any section. If you want to see the IceDogs attack 2 times, you’ll want to sit on the end that does not have the bowl.
The millcreek mall has everything. Close to 200 stores and all accessible inside. Much shopping can be done. That is on upper peach street where most of your restaurants will be. The mall and upper peach street is about a 15 minute ride to the EIA. Not a bad drive at all

Thank You!

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
We spend a lot of time in Erie, but don't live there. My wife is the shopping expert, and this is her advice. Boscov's in the mall is good, but Gabes on Peach is where the best deals are. Check out Kohls and Ross's too. For eats, lots of chains but Picassos near the mall is terrific for a sandwich. Primanti Brothers in the mall is a Pittsburgh icon transplant. For BBQ try the Federal Hill Smokehouse way down on Peach. Get there by noon or forget about it. They sell out early. As Ottersguy said, no bad seats. EIA is a pretty nice barn. You shouldn't experience any trouble at the EIA at all. Knuckleheads are not tolerated, the ushers and security are diligent. A lot of visitors from other teams have come and really liked the experience.

Reactions: fishfan51

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Otters have officially released Oberoi, Alex Roberts has also been let go. Down to 14 forwards, interested to see if they keep all 14 (especially with Singer's 8 game suspension) or if they send D'Amato/Sellan down to a lower league for more playing time.

They also need to solve the logjam on D with 9 players there right now, 6 of them left shots.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Otters have officially released Oberoi, Alex Roberts has also been let go. Down to 14 forwards, interested to see if they keep all 14 (especially with Singer's 8 game suspension) or if they send D'Amato/Sellan down to a lower league for more playing time.

They also need to solve the logjam on D with 9 players there right now, 6 of them left shots.

My thoughts are they keep all 14 forwards. With the Singer suspension, they pretty much have to. Plus I don’t see the point in signing either of those guys unless they are here for the long haul. It’s possible that when Singer comes back we trade or let go of some other forward but I expect at least Sellan to be here all season. D’Amato is more of a question

Here are guys that aren’t going anywhere on the backend - Martin, Drysdale, Duff, Henry

Martin the veteran and our best/most consistent. Duff and Henry bring much needed size to a smaller group. I also don’t think Erie signs Gillard when they already have 8 guys unless he’s good enough to play now and they want him on the team. So he will be on the roster

That leaves Beamish, Timmermans, Kischnick, Wainman. Imo we trade Wainman and go with a younger group. Plus Wainman is a lefty. Timmer/Kisch are both right shots. That would leave us with 8 defenders.

Eventually 1 of those 8 can be moved but I don’t mind Erie going with 8 on defense for a few months before deciding which 2000 to move

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
My thoughts are they keep all 14 forwards. With the Singer suspension, they pretty much have to. Plus I don’t see the point in signing either of those guys unless they are here for the long haul. It’s possible that when Singer comes back we trade or let go of some other forward but I expect at least Sellan to be here all season. D’Amato is more of a question

Here are guys that aren’t going anywhere on the backend - Martin, Drysdale, Duff, Henry

Martin the veteran and our best/most consistent. Duff and Henry bring much needed size to a smaller group. I also don’t think Erie signs Gillard when they already have 8 guys unless he’s good enough to play now and they want him on the team. So he will be on the roster

That leaves Beamish, Timmermans, Kischnick, Wainman. Imo we trade Wainman and go with a younger group. Plus Wainman is a lefty. Timmer/Kisch are both right shots. That would leave us with 8 defenders.

Eventually 1 of those 8 can be moved but I don’t mind Erie going with 8 on defense for a few months before deciding which 2000 to move

I agree with much of what you say but isn't the roster limit 23? Meaning either 14 F/7D/2G or 13F/8D/2G?

Personally I would trade Wainman then send either Sellan/D'Amato/Gillard down to Jr.A/Jr.B for the season to get more playing time, possibly call them up if Erie ends up trading away Maksimovich at the deadline for picks.

Maksimovich-Fowler-Singer
Golod-Cajka-Poddubnyi
Sproule-Gritz-Yetman
Girhiny-Mack-Hoffman
Sellan/D'Amato

Martin-Beamish
Duff-Drysdale
Henry-Timmermans
Gillard/Kischnick

Murphy
Battaglia

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I agree with much of what you say but isn't the roster limit 23? Meaning either 14 F/7D/2G or 13F/8D/2G?

Personally I would trade Wainman then send either Sellan/D'Amato/Gillard down to Jr.A/Jr.B for the season to get more playing time, possibly call them up if Erie ends up trading away Maksimovich at the deadline for picks.

Golod-Cajka-Poddubnyi
Sproule-Gritz-Yetman
Girhiny-Mack-Hoffman
Sellan/D'Amato

Martin-Beamish
Duff-Drysdale
Henry-Timmermans
Gillard/Kischnick

Murphy
Battaglia
I thought it was 24 but you are probably right. Though I do believe that Erie had 24 to start last season, but that is just based on me looking at last years roster and adding things up

Regardless, the Singer suspension gives us relief until he comes back. Meaning the OHL would allow him on some protective list. So assuming we trade a defender before the season starts, we would have 23 on opening night
I don’t love the idea of having Gillard/Sellan back in juniors as 2nd year guys. Assuming they are good enough and have the potential to develop, getting 3rd/4th line minutes here is more useful. But ultimately they also need playing time. So if the plan Is to trade someone like Mak in January, then yes makes sense to do that with a guy like Sellan. This is why keeping a guy like Girhiny is totally useless this year.. I want young guys playing. If we plan on really competing in 1-2 years, it will be guys like Gillard and Sellan who can make that difference. Girhiny will be long gone and won’t be impacting this year’s team enough to keep him.

That’s pretty much what I have my lineup list as too. Fowler/Cajka could be flipped as I know Erie had Cajka with Mak and Singer in camp. But other than that I have the same.

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018

Golod-Cajka-Poddubnyi
Sproule-Gritz-Yetman
Girhiny-Mack-Hoffman
Sellan/D'Amato

Martin-Beamish
Duff-Drysdale
Henry-Timmermans
Gillard/Kischnick

Murphy
Battaglia

They made a mistake releasing Oberoi

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Any1 get a good look at Hoffman during the exibtions?
I got to see him Saturday
Bigger than I thought. I really think he can develop nicely into a 2 way forward. Wasn’t too focused on him so I didn’t watch too much but he’s definitely making this team and will probably be getting 3rd line minutes by the end of the year

Reactions: aresknights
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad