Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The Otters have made Wainman and Timmermans available for trade and they're not on the regular season roster, this gets the team down to 7 D. Wainman I could see fetching a mid round pick for a team that needs a decent '99, Timmermans may end up getting waived.

I'm guessing the D going into the season will be:

Martin-Beamish
Duff-Drysdale
Henry-Kischnick
Gillard

Bit of a youth movement but I'm glad they're doing it. They'll reap the benefits next season with all of these guys eligible to return and only Martin will be an OA.
Wainman was obvious to be moved. 1999 who really is only a 4/5 guy in this league. More like a 5/6 guy.
Drysdale is elite and has made his impact known. Yes he’s 16 but the kid has a mature nature about him along with top level skating and hockey IQ. Hartsburg noted he is ready now to play top 4 minutes and QB a power play. Erie should throw him in the ring because it will only make him better next year.

We knew they would move a 2000 out. Just had too many at that age group. Duff and Henry the big bodies that I don’t think you can let go .. especially Duff. And Beamish already above Timmermans for skill level. So it’s a tough spot and Timmermans is a great kid .. didn’t want to see him go. I’m no expert but even I understand that the best defenders on this team when considering size/potential are Martin, Duff, Drysdale, Beamish, Henry. Kishnick/Gillard have the advantage with age. This is the right decision and I’m glad Brown saw it too

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Wainman was obvious to be moved. 1999 who really is only a 4/5 guy in this league. More like a 5/6 guy.
Drysdale is elite and has made his impact known. Yes he’s 16 but the kid has a mature nature about him along with top level skating and hockey IQ. Hartsburg noted he is ready now to play top 4 minutes and QB a power play. Erie should throw him in the ring because it will only make him better next year.

We knew they would move a 2000 out. Just had too many at that age group. Duff and Henry the big bodies that I don’t think you can let go .. especially Duff. And Beamish already above Timmermans for skill level. So it’s a tough spot and Timmermans is a great kid .. didn’t want to see him go. I’m no expert but even I understand that the best defenders on this team when considering size/potential are Martin, Duff, Drysdale, Beamish, Henry. Kishnick/Gillard have the advantage with age. This is the right decision and I’m glad Brown saw it too

Agreed, you could see the Wainman move coming from a mile away. Martin is the better player.

It sucks to lose Timmermans. He's a great kid and I really hope he lands somewhere. At this point as a '00 he doesn't look like more than a 3rd pairing dman and like you said he's been passed by Duff, Henry, and Beamish. Drysdale is ready to play top 4 and Gillard/Kischnick need playing time as '01s.

Next season you'll probably see one or two of Ethan Ritchie (2018 5th), Logan Maunder-Sanderson (2018 6th), Cameron Morton (2018 7th), or John Richer (2018 9th) push some dmen out. Richie and Maunder-Sanderson look especially promising.

OU812

Sep 11, 2017
Heard Timmermans is going back to tier 2 Jr.A. There was no interest in OHL. Too bad.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Too bad they couldn't fit a place for Timmermans to play if that's true. I have to think someone would be interested in Wainman though.

What will the lines look like without Singer? I'd do:

Maksimovich-Fowler-Poddubnyi
Golod-Cajka-Yetman
Sproule-Grtiz-Girhiny
Sellan-Mack-Hoffman
D'Amato

Martin-Beamish
Duff-Drsydale
Henry-Kischnick
Gillard

Murphy
Battaglia

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN

OU812

Sep 11, 2017
my source is fine. just wait...I confirmed it last night. The team he is going to will have 8 D now, so they may be waiting to make another deal/roster move before formally adding him to the team. Is that enough info for you?

JerseyBoy77

Sep 21, 2018
my source is fine. just wait...I confirmed it last night. The team he is going to will have 8 D now, so they may be waiting to make another deal/roster move before formally adding him to the team. Is that enough info for you?
For now. Appreciate your skullduggery.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Flint is just a young rebuilding team that is not as well run an organization as Erie right now. Add that Erie still has some of that winning culture to them

All tonight proved to me is that I don’t understand yet again why 95% of predictors had Erie dead last in the conference over Erie. What did Flint do to get better? They just got older.. and so did Erie. Erie was a better team than they were last year. Erie also added a top import guy.

Anyways.. good game. If nothing else it’s a confidence builder. Good to see guys like Yetman get some points. Many players involved on the score sheet.
We all still expect a rebuild year but no reason based on what I saw tonight that this team can’t improve their win total of 23 from last year

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Weird coicindence, the only three players for Erie that didn't record a point were all named Brendan. Brendan Kischnick, Brendan Sellan, and Brendan Hoffmann.

Reactions: ottersguy

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Great way to start the year like everyone said. I was more impressed with the defensive effort over the offensive explosion. Flint completely quit in the 3rd which is concerning for them moving forward. In all the years I have watched the OHL I dont recall a team quitting to that extent.

I thought the team although smaller in nature played aggressive and much faster than Flint. Murphy was solid in net but had very few saves that really challenged him. Already looking forward to next Saturday.

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
I really don't know if Flint quit in the third. They really didn't seem to stop their intensity that they had been playing with, but rather they changed their defensive strategy trying to clog up our lanes to stop our rushes and passing and it failed miserably.

That being said, great way to start the season, but there is a long way to go. Last place? I don't see it. I can see a 7th/8th seed sneaker for sure.

Keep gelling and playing as a team and this season can definitely be a big step forward in the rebuild.

Also, this could easily be the fastest Erie team we have ever seen. Their speed seems insane.

Ps. Don't know much about Kischnick but love the way the kid played. Drysdale looks like a beaut too. Excited to continue watching him play.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I really don't know if Flint quit in the third. They really didn't seem to stop their intensity that they had been playing with, but rather they changed their defensive strategy trying to clog up our lanes to stop our rushes and passing and it failed miserably.

That being said, great way to start the season, but there is a long way to go. Last place? I don't see it. I can see a 7th/8th seed sneaker for sure.

Keep gelling and playing as a team and this season can definitely be a big step forward in the rebuild.

Also, this could easily be the fastest Erie team we have ever seen. Their speed seems insane.

Ps. Don't know much about Kischnick but love the way the kid played. Drysdale looks like a beaut too. Excited to continue watching him play.

I said it was insane that seemingly everyone had Erie last in their predictions. I get the theory that “someone has to finish last” and since we are still rebuilding, we are going to be in the discussion for people.

But they went .500 after the trades and in 2nd half of year. They then lost Headrick/Laj/Fellows. Headrick was solid but Drysdale is the same style of defender with much more skill. He’s just young.

Laj was a solid vet but was a turnover machine with a limited ceiling. Replacing him with Cajka is a win for Erie. Fellows was just a defensive forward who added leadership/PK help. Yes we traded Lodnia but once Singer returns that’s not a downgrade from what Lodnia was a year ago. Also the goalie play should improve.

So yes I get it .. someone has to finish last. But with all that said, this team is at least just as good as a year ago. Where they won 23 and lost 10 games in extra time. I personally think they are better since they are all a year older. So even if you have this team winning 25/26 games.. that’s still enough to have them not finish last in the conference.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Kischnick rated well coming out of his draft year. The issue was clearly his size but from all I read and saw, it appeared like he was a good 2 way defender who though undersized was a good skater who used the body. The American had college looks and certainly could have went that route and played USHL. I remember reading that going into his OHL draft year, so 2016-17, many considered him a top American defender. I’m sure size had him fall in the rankings a bit.

I don’t mind if one is 5’8-5’9 if you are also 180-190lbs. Kischnick seems to have a thick frame. So he can use the body. He looked solid and I can see the potential and why erie signed him a year ago.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm not going to read into that one too much, Flint was likely tired and missing their top 2 dmen. But, it was good to see how fast and aggressive Erie played. Their top 6 is going to be pretty good when Singer is back. To Girhiny's credit he looks improved, which will help the bottom 6. Mack/Hoffman/Sellan/D'Amato will probably rotate playing time. Drysdale is also an absolute treat to watch, amazing skater. He reminds me of Dermott in his draft season and he's still only a 16 year old rookie. Excited to watch this team this season, hoping for somewhere in the 25-30 win range and the 6th-8th range in the West.

Otter Trotter

May 20, 2018

I thought that Flint had shaken off the bus legs in the 3rd. They seemed to step up their play.

I think Flint started playing desperation hockey, trying to get back into the game. Then, they started making mistakes which allowed the Otters easy scores.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well Erie played a little better in the 3rd but that was probably more due to Mississauga taking their foot off the gas. Owen Tippett obviously tips the scales and you can't really fault them for getting beat by an elite level talent like him but even when he wasn't on the ice the team looked pretty lethargic. They did not skate or handle the puck well tonight. Hopefully the effort is better tomorrow.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Well it was back to earth this weekend but even with the loss Saturday they had chances to score. It seemed to be one of those nights where nothing was going right. Definitely a sloppy game overall so lets hope a week of practice can get them back on track.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Well it was back to earth this weekend but even with the loss Saturday they had chances to score. It seemed to be one of those nights where nothing was going right. Definitely a sloppy game overall so lets hope a week of practice can get them back on track.
When you have a young team this happens.. they get over confident after a game like 12-1.
I figured it would happened. Now a week of practice to wake up.
Though I agree that Girhiny is better than last year, the guy is not a top 6 forward. I don’t understand why we have him in the top 6 with Singer our.. imo go with this..

Mak-Fowler-Podd
Golod-Cajka-Sproule
Girhiny-Gritz- Yetman

Or swap Yetman and Sproule. Imo Sproule should be getting the top 6 ice while Singer is out. Gives him a chance to show his development and could be good for him. Or I would rather have Yetman for his size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->