Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Where does everyone think Erie will draft a goalie? Do they use an early round pick or late round? Murphy was the last pick in his draft class so anything could happen, or do they draft a tender as an import?

My guess is this:

1st round - forward
2nd round - defender
2nd round - forward

So if we don’t go D with the 3-4 pick, we can still get a good prospect with pick 20-22

Then my guess is with 4 picks in rounds 4-6 they take 1-2 goalies. I don’t love the idea of taking a goalie in 2nd round. Last time we did was Jake Lawr who during his draft year was considered a top goalie prospect. Look how that turned out..
would rather we try to sign Campbell, make a trade, or use our import on a goalie. I prefer we draft 2 in the mid 4-7th round. The more you have in your system, the better chance you strike gold on a goalie. And we need to find one. So expect 2-3 goalies overall picked in draft for us

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
If they can get Clarke at #3 you absolutely take him, there's nothing wrong with having two highly skilled guys on the blueline.

Henry-Drysdale
Duff-Clarke

Is a great top 4, two big guys with two great puck moving dman. Bottom 3/4 spots would be between Martin (OA), Golden (OA), Beamish (If healthy), Gillard, Kischnick, and any 2018 guys that make a push. Add an import similar to Cajka and sign Swankler, you've got the makings of a great team.

Swankler-Cajka-Yetman
Golod-Fowler-Hoffmann
Sproule-Gritz-Singer (OA)
Import/MacDougall/Mack/Sellan/D'Amato/Cohen/Sedore

Lot of depth there at forward too, someone's gotta go.

I see what you're saying but I do not think that group of forwards would be good enough to compete for a title. I agree with what ottersguy said in that Erie needs that elite tier forward. Either way if Erie finishes with the third pick they should be landing a great player.

The true wildcards for the team are Swankler and Alexander. Alexander seems to be a long shot and I have no idea on Swankler.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
My guess is this:

1st round - forward
2nd round - defender
2nd round - forward

So if we don’t go D with the 3-4 pick, we can still get a good prospect with pick 20-22

Then my guess is with 4 picks in rounds 4-6 they take 1-2 goalies. I don’t love the idea of taking a goalie in 2nd round. Last time we did was Jake Lawr who during his draft year was considered a top goalie prospect. Look how that turned out..
would rather we try to sign Campbell, make a trade, or use our import on a goalie. I prefer we draft 2 in the mid 4-7th round. The more you have in your system, the better chance you strike gold on a goalie. And we need to find one. So expect 2-3 goalies overall picked in draft for us

I like that with the top three picks but I also would prefer they take the best player available with those two seconds. The team needs improvements in a lot of areas so that should help the team in the long run.

The import draft is always a crap shoot. I like Murphy more than most and I think with better team defense he can easily be a reliable starter the next two seasons. I doubt Erie takes a defenseman with their pick as the franchise as struggled with import defenseman minus Cernak and Rekis.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I like that with the top three picks but I also would prefer they take the best player available with those two seconds. The team needs improvements in a lot of areas so that should help the team in the long run.

The import draft is always a crap shoot. I like Murphy more than most and I think with better team defense he can easily be a reliable starter the next two seasons. I doubt Erie takes a defenseman with their pick as the franchise as struggled with import defenseman minus Cernak and Rekis.

Imo you take best available in the 2nd round as well... but I also think there is no chance they take a goalie and no chance they take 2 forwards in the 2nd or 2 defenders in the 2nd

My point with that selection prediction was to say that they should go defender/forward with the 2 picks. This of course assuming we take a forward in the 1st round. and assuming we do that, I see no reason or no way in which we would take 2 forwards in the 2nd or 2 defenders in the 2nd. Best available for that 20-22nd overall pick.. yes they should do that. But that late 2nd round pick should also be need based. If we already took 2 forwards, you probably should go defense in the late 2nd

As for the import, I agree that they should probably lean forward.
Imo you add a top end forward and then add another with the top 4 pick in the OHL, your offense is set. But then if you added let’s say Swankler.. now you have way too many forwards. You know what that means? A) competition. May the best man live. You have the luxury of then picking the best ones. B) the ones you decide you don’t want, you can trade for some assets which might help you bring in a defender. It’s not a bad problem to have too many forwards. That weeds out the guys with the least potential or least value to your team. Or allows you to trade a solid forward for some real assets

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
One thing is for sure -I’m glad it’s not me who has to make the decision on who to pick .. I think I would have some serious A.D.D. If I had to choose ..

I couldn’t deny the gaping holes in our D though and of course our G situation ..rebuilding yes but something like 243 goals given up ( so far) and 16 in our last 2 games ( yes I know - against top tier teams)...

Friends will let friends know in situations whether they go to university or not which should help us plan accordingly

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
One thing is for sure -I’m glad it’s not me who has to make the decision on who to pick .. I think I would have some serious A.D.D. If I had to choose ..

I couldn’t deny the gaping holes in our D though and of course our G situation ..rebuilding yes but something like 243 goals given up ( so far) and 16 in our last 2 games ( yes I know - against top tier teams)...

Friends will let friends know in situations whether they go to university or not which should help us plan accordingly

One thing to consider is that this team has given up 63 goals in 12 games vs the top 3 offenses in the league (Ottawa, niagara, London)

That means we have given up 5.25 goals against per game vs the best of the best.

Some perspective: SSM has 36 goals against in 7 games vs those same top 3 offenses (5.14 per game).

Those teams just score on everyone. Heck they each average about 4.5 goals a game as a team.

Erie on the year has this for goals against:
243 GA
56 GP
4.33 average

But if we remove the games vs the top 3 offenses we see this:
180 GA
44 GP
4.09 average

Still not great and needs to improve but I don’t think it is 1 simple solution

1) fix the garbage PK. We have an historically bad PK and that to me is mostly to blame on the coaches .. looking at you Mr BJ Adams.. it is inexcusable. Our PK has dropped 12% this year. If our PK was the same percentage as last year, we would have 11 less goals against

2) we have had bad injury luck for the year but definitely on defense. Beamish has missed 34+ games, Martin has missed 8 games, Kischnick 10+, and to top it off, Drysdale is a 16 year old who though has been amazing is still a rookie making rookie mistakes

3) the goalies have just been inconsistent. Battlagia was a mess and didn’t work out and Murphy, though better recently, still has not been great all year (regardless of the defense)

4) this is a young and limited offense. Thus they aren’t going to draw many PP, they aren’t going to possess the puck a lot (heck our face off % has to be dead last in the league or close to it) and they aren’t going to be top defensive forwards at this point in their young career

There are many issues with the GA.
The PK, the coaching, the defensive players themselves, the youth, the lack of 2 way forwards, and the goalies

Most of these issues can be fixed by just getting older and the coaches start to coach up more.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I don't live in Erie-in fact 115 miles east of here. I really do appreciate the funds that both Governors Ed Rendell and Tom Wolf have allocated for Erie. It always irritated me that both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia always got the big bucks for the big arenas and stadiums that the common man either couldn't afford to go or couldn't get to. After visiting many OHL arenas and reading many posts from our northern friends, Pennsylvania is indeed lucky to keep entertainment affordable for ordinary folks. As I said before, Erie has one terrific sports complex which will be even better next season.

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
Drysdale was the difference in the OT period in Owen Sound. He is a great looking player. He had no trouble covering Dudas on the potential break away. The Erie goal came seconds later.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Has Fowler been skating with the team? Any updates?

He won’t be back this year. Even if he were skating, I don’t see the point of playing him for the last 8-10 games after he has already missed 50 straight. He would be rusty and that’s a big risk for really no reason.

If this team were a top team competing, sure they would want him back. But as a team likely to miss the playoffs or at best be a 8th seed, there is no need for him. His future is more important

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
No quit in these guys last night. They matched up well physically with the Storm despite being smaller and younger. Guelph looked like an NHL team. The Storm will be a tough competitor in the play-offs. Kudos for a good team effort. I can't wait until next season.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If all goes well, Hayden Fowler will be back in the lineup Thursday vs Niagara. Huge for the end of season playoff push!
Wow shocked they are having him coming back..
for, what, 6 games? I mean obviously if he’s a 100% I guess you can be assured he’s healthy but he’s a critical piece moving forward. My guess is he will be getting bottom 3/6 minutes the rest of the way (unless he shows zero rust)

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Wow shocked they are having him coming back..
for, what, 6 games? I mean obviously if he’s a 100% I guess you can be assured he’s healthy but he’s a critical piece moving forward. My guess is he will be getting bottom 3/6 minutes the rest of the way (unless he shows zero rust)
Yeah I agree, Beamish is out for the remainder of the year. Probably their reason for the Golden pickup.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yeah I agree, Beamish is out for the remainder of the year. Probably their reason for the Golden pickup.

Makes sense that Golden was brought in. I just always questioned the price of it but if Beamish’s future is in doubt and we plan on being more of a middle pack team next year, having veteran defenders is a must.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Makes sense that Golden was brought in. I just always questioned the price of it but if Beamish’s future is in doubt and we plan on being more of a middle pack team next year, having veteran defenders is a must.
Especially if it’s just for this season. If we can get a pretty good 16 year old next year or sign some guys in our system then it’ll be worth it. Golden has been good for us even if it cost more than it should. He’s helping this young team out.

Reactions: nelli27

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
The boys played their hearts out today. Being down to 5 D, they gave the Knights all that they could handle. Should Fowler return, and with Kischnick and especially Duff, London will really have to work in the 1st round should they get the Otters. Both Golden and Ceci have points to prove to some folks.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Erie really had a good fight last night. They were in it the entire game after the first 10 mins and did an impressive job despite being down to 4 defensemen after Jacob Golden got injured. Anyone have any guesses as to how much TOI Jamie Drysdale had? Ryan Martin made some key saves last night to help CeCi out and really had a good game.

Reactions: Mata and 7D442

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Not sure, but Drysdale is a beast. His stamina reminds me of Kris Letang, who logs huge minutes for the Pens. This kid will have the boxes filled with scouts next year. I am more and more impressed each game with him.

Reactions: Mata
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad