Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Regarding Alexander, I think now that Drysdale had successful rookie year under his belt in Erie, it could help with swaying Alexander to sign. Having a close connection could be key to speeding up the process. Swankler being from PA might be easier to convince, but getting either of the two would be huge.

From what I had heard, Ryan wanted to play with his brother this year in the OJHL for the St Michaels Buzzers.

The rumors are that he (at least up until a few months ago) had not shut the door on Erie. He simply felt that playing with his brother for a year/staying with family and developing/getting more ice time was more beneficial than a bottom line role in Erie. On top of that, he obviously can’t play in Erie than decide to go back to he college route

So it makes perfect sense that he basically wanted more time to think on it. Erie is still a consideration but not his top choice right now

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
From what I had heard, Ryan wanted to play with his brother this year in the OJHL for the St Michaels Buzzers.

The rumors are that he (at least up until a few months ago) had not shut the door on Erie. He simply felt that playing with his brother for a year/staying with family and developing/getting more ice time was more beneficial than a bottom line role in Erie. On top of that, he obviously can’t play in Erie than decide to go back to he college route

So it makes perfect sense that he basically wanted more time to think on it. Erie is still a consideration but not his top choice right now

Hope so, he can easily replace one of late round picks from last Aprils draft.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I certainly won't be upset if they take McTavish, he looks like a heck of a player too. Personally I just feel the team needs help on the back end more and they have a brighter prospect pool for forwards with the potential NCAA commits. I definitely agree though that if Brown feels his chances aren't good at landing one of those two, they should take McTavish with their pick (this is all assuming Flint can't get either of those two and Erie finishes behind Barrie).

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
It's quite possible that Guelph will rest a few key players for the last game of the season (in Erie). So, if it comes down to game #68, a determined Erie team (possibly fighting for a playoff spot) could pull off a win. Should be an exciting weekend of hockey!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It's quite possible that Guelph will rest a few key players for the last game of the season (in Erie). So, if it comes down to game #68, a determined Erie team (possibly fighting for a playoff spot) could pull off a win. Should be an exciting weekend of hockey!

I definitely feel erie can (and will) win at least 1 of 2 on the weekend. Guelph resting players and the motivation of the young Erie team.
That said.. let’s see what happens with Windsor tonight because it might not matter

Reactions: Buttsy

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Well we are close to the last playoff spot and hanging by a thread ..

We had our chances though -going 6-12 since Feb 1 effectively did us in ..we made no real push at the seasons end to get in ..

Usually doesn’t work out when you need help such as SSM to get a win ( they didn’t) and when Flint is up on WSR 3-1 and then looses ..

As much as like this team - this season needs to be over .. this year was a year of massive injuries to key players -at times I believe was anywhere between 4-5 of your top tier players down for months at a time .. Forwards In Fowler and Golod to D ( Beamish and Martin) to Murphy in G are just some of them - not an excuse just reality ..was too much talent loss to overcome ..

I’m just glad this didn’t happen in 2017 when we won the Championship ..A lot of things had to go right in order to win that - and they did - those were the days

three dog night

May 3, 2014

We had our chances though -going 6-12 since Feb 1 effectively did us in ..we made no real push at the seasons end to get in ..

Usually doesn’t work out when you need help such as SSM to get a win ( they didn’t) and when Flint is up on WSR 3-1 and then looses ..

As much as like this team - this season needs to be over .. this year was a year of massive injuries to key players -at times I believe was anywhere between 4-5 of your top tier players down for months at a time .. Forwards In Fowler and Golod to D ( Beamish and Martin) to Murphy in G are just some of them - not an excuse just reality ..was too much talent loss to overcome ..

I’m just glad this didn’t happen in 2017 when we won the Championship ..A lot of things had to go right in order to win that - and they did - those were the days
Flint won in a shootout

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Everyone needs to look at the bigger picture

Yes we had our chances but as noted, we were dealing with more injuries than we have had in some time. And of course these were to critical players. Fowler missing 41 games the biggest of all

The other reality is that we had the honor of playing London, Niagara, Guelph a total of 18 times. 7 of which came in the 6-12 stretch you are talking about

In fact, when all is said in done, in our last 20 games - we played London, Niagara, Guelph, SSM, and Oshawa a combined 11 times.

That’s a ridiculously tough schedule and doesn’t include the two 3-in-3s and the final 4 games coming within 5 days. All that with massive injuries.

So it is what it is. Let’s move on to next year. The team still was better than last year because they were dealing with more injuries yet managed more wins and managed to be much more competitive vs the top teams in the leagues

Reminder that we won 50 games for 4 straight years. Something that was NEVER done before. After Guelph won 39 games the year before their championship team, they then won 38 games the following year. The next two years? 13 wins and 21 wins

Let us all understand that this is how it works. Erie imo is actually ahead of schedule. Their rebuild so far is 23 and then 26 (maybe 27-28) wins. This after being dominant for 4 straight years.
Next year we definitely will have the talent and the experience to win more than 30 games. And being a 30 win team is where about half the league is every year. once we are back to winning 30 or more games.. we are fine. It’s just a matter of building back up for title.
But this current cycle has been better than I thought. I expected a 19 or less win season. Expected it to get ugly and for our depth to suffer (no 2/3rd round draft picks for years). But that hasn’t been the case. Our depth is definitely good. Heck we might have too many OHL players next year if we get some college guys to sign. The only problem now is youth (which will fix itself) and maybe finding the star player (which also could fix itself with the assets we have)

We . Are . Fine

In the words of Aaron Rodgers..
R-E-L-A-X.. relax

Reactions: EON

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I understand this team is young, however, they've been playing hockey since they could essentially walk.

I feel like Erie is most penalized for having too many men on the ice, an easy penalty to avoid. Thoughts? It just seems like every night it happens.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Officially out of the playoffs. I'm definitely rooting for a loss now tomorrow night to lock up the 3rd overall pick. That guarantees them Clarke or McTavish, both would be superb additions. I feel bad for the guys, they played hard despite some injuries, but this is best for the team going forward.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Officially out of the playoffs. I'm definitely rooting for a loss now tomorrow night to lock up the 3rd overall pick. That guarantees them Clarke or McTavish, both would be superb additions. I feel bad for the guys, they played hard despite some injuries, but this is best for the team going forward.
Couldn’t have said it better

A loss tomorrow pretty much guarantees that Brown gets one of those two or the one guy that he wants. Which is ideal for this draft: to get the guy we want. And with Wright going 1 overall, we could essentially get the best 2003 player as rated on by the team scouting department

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
May sound odd but I think it might be wise for Erie to not win tonight. Tied with Barrie in the standings it would be the difference between picking 3rd and 4th. If Erie has a player in mind better to pick before Barrie. Looking forward to seeing Erie next year. I think you have a very hard working team that is not to far off challenging again.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Could be huge.

Attachments

• E9018842-6F96-48A4-A563-EA58B2D17A23.jpeg
    E9018842-6F96-48A4-A563-EA58B2D17A23.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 100

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Was just about to post that.

Fingers crossed. Erie has actually drafted goalies well lately (Colton Point, Mitch Gibson) but whiffing on the commits. Campbell would be a great addition.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA

Fingers crossed. Erie has actually drafted goalies well lately (Colton Point, Mitch Gibson) but whiffing on the commits. Campbell would be a great addition.

Agree !! Just announced at the game and he received a great response from the crowd !!!

Lots of fans see him as our future in net ..love to have this kid as an OTTER !!!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Agreed. Would be significant!

With us now being locked into the 3rd overall pick and 7th overall import.. we could focus on getting a forward and a defender. Plus the 22nd overall pick

Honestly.. make the right choices on those 3 picks and add Campbell plus another college guy and the next 2-3 years will be fun to watch in Erie

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Mark Scheig noted on Twitter that Erie would be taking a forward at 3 overall. He didn’t say who he heard it from but based on what he said, one can assume it’s not an opinion but what he has heard

Like I said before, regardless of what I want or what the fans want, I just can’t in any way shape or form see why erie would take a defender in round one in back to back drafts. I don’t see Dave Brown thinking like that especially with the way we have always built our teams.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Mark Scheig noted on Twitter that Erie would be taking a forward at 3 overall. He didn’t say who he heard it from but based on what he said, one can assume it’s not an opinion but what he has heard

Like I said before, regardless of what I want or what the fans want, I just can’t in any way shape or form see why erie would take a defender in round one in back to back drafts. I don’t see Dave Brown thinking like that especially with the way we have always built our teams.

While I still prefer Clarke personally for reasons I've stated, I'm definitely not going to be upset about this, especially if they land McTavish, who could be the best '03 born player. 6'1" 196 lb center with 79 points in 41 games in midget this season, also has 7 points in 5 games in the CCHL (Junior A league). Very impressive numbers. He could slot in as the 3rd line C right away and probably move into the top 6 fairly quickly as the season progresses.

Offseason really just hinges on how many of Swankler/Alexander/Campbell Brown can land, potential coaching change, and hitting the import draft pick again. Cajka was a nice pick up and should be a pretty damn good top 6 C next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad