Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Very scary situation, Cameron Hough cross checked Kischnick and he went head first into the boards, stretchered off. Really hope it's just a precaution.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Very scary situation, Cameron Hough cross checked Kischnick and he went head first into the boards, stretchered off. Really hope it's just a precaution.

Hoping he is ok all though concerning the length of time he was down and he didn’t move his legs according to the commentators.

Side note it’s rather irritating listen to the Kingston commentators. Both said “not sure what Hough could have done differently” I don’t know maybe not cross check a falling player in the back of the head/neck sending him head first into the boards. Are they that biased or just inept at knowing their job?

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
For sure. I like the way Brendan plays, and am really happy that there wasn't a serious injury. I won't be surprised if there is a lengthy suspension for the Kingston player.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Hoping he is ok all though concerning the length of time he was down and he didn’t move his legs according to the commentators.

Side note it’s rather irritating listen to the Kingston commentators. Both said “not sure what Hough could have done differently” I don’t know maybe not cross check a falling player in the back of the head/neck sending him head first into the boards. Are they that biased or just inept at knowing their job?
I have listened to erie and Kingston...both are homers who wear the jersey.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I have listened to erie and Kingston...both are homers who wear the jersey.
I think every single home announcer is biased. Some much more than others. Even the good London crew is one sided on stuff

Overall I would rate Cooney as average when it comes to biased announcing. He certainly is the home guy and is everything Erie.. but when an erie guy has taken a cheap shot you often hear cooney say things like “that was ugly...” or “___ could be facing a suspension for that one”

We can all be biased but that hit on Kischnick was awful. Scale of 1-10, Kischnick was a 9/10 on being vulnerable. He was already off balance, was going into the board area, losing his balance. Was trying to regain but lost it from a bump from behind. And had his back to the guy that hit him. So you have an extremely vulnerable player who also was hit from behind (Twice) into the boards. Lastly, add the second hit to the head/helmet. Plus leads to potentially serious long term injury. Certainly initially was knocked out/stretchered off

I’m no expert but even if the guy has no suspension history - I would say 12-15 games is the range.

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie put up a good effort all 3 games this weekend but going 0-2-1 is disappointing, now on a 7 game losing streak. They need to turn it around quick. The top line looked capable at least with Singer back. The middle 6 needs to improve, particularly Golod who has had a rough start. And defensively they're still pretty messy.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
As long as they keep battling and being competitive, I am ok with their play. I think they will have a few winning streaks this season. I keep telling myself that they will be a terrific team in 2 years.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie put up a good effort all 3 games this weekend but going 0-2-1 is disappointing, now on a 7 game losing streak. They need to turn it around quick. The top line looked capable at least with Singer back. The middle 6 needs to improve, particularly Golod who has had a rough start. And defensively they're still pretty messy.

It’s been frustrating because it’s not like they have played like they are 1-6-1. Should have 1/2 more wins on the year

At this point I’m getting frustrated with the coaching. They are still young but this isn’t mid 2000s young talent. Those teams just had a bunch of 3rd/4th line players. This team doesn’t lack speed or skill. It’s youth holding them back mostly. But it’s also coaching. They play a great 1st period and then come out sloppy after. They can’t get their pp going.. probably because guys like Girhiny are given mins on the pp. it’s just the little things they should be better at.

I want to still be patient with Hartsburg but this team is not possibly worse than last year from a talent and age standpoint. They are slightly better. So winning 25 games or so should be realistic expectations. I would like more like 28.
Point is that if we are going to be a 10-15 win team, that falls directly on the coaching. No excuse that this team can’t win 20 games this year. No excuse. And if not then Hartsburg needs to be reevaluated after the season or fan support is going to be all lost after we FINALLY built it back up after 10 years of sh*t from bassin

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I see your point. I am not a huge Hartsburg fan, but still hope they do well. When Knoblauch left, he left a huge void in my opinion. Should things not work out for Hartsburg, my hope and wish would be for Erie to pursue Mike Rupp. He is a perfect fit for the Otters, that is, if he wanted to coach. He has a pretty good gig on the NHL Network. He has a lot of good attributes and no down side that I can see.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I see your point. I am not a huge Hartsburg fan, but still hope they do well. When Knoblauch left, he left a huge void in my opinion. Should things not work out for Hartsburg, my hope and wish would be for Erie to pursue Mike Rupp. He is a perfect fit for the Otters, that is, if he wanted to coach. He has a pretty good gig on the NHL Network. He has a lot of good attributes and no down side that I can see.
....other than no coaching experience? I do admit he does SEEM like a guy that would fit perfect behind a bench.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
He does have some coaching experience with an amateur team. The OHL has many coaches with experience that fall short. There are many other attributes that are as important or more so than experience. People skills, hockey knowledge, respect, playing experience, intelligence, personality, desire, and history. Mike lives near Erie, is from the area (Cleveland), played for the Otters, has a Stanley Cup ring, and is a real character with character.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

You can’t replace a guy like Knoblauch that easily. He jumped right to the nhl from Erie so we all know he was as good of a coach that you can get at this level.
He proved it in 2014-15 when he had a great plan to beat SSM. He really showed it in 2015-16 when that Erie team had no depth and were young.. yet they managed to win 50 games. Even the great Dale Hunter isn’t winning 50 games with that roster. That was a 40 win type of roster. And then he proved it yet again in 2016-17. Yes Erie had tremendous talent. If not for goalie play, we are probably (just kidding.. more like we are likely) mem cup champs. But that team was also really well coached. Dominated the entire OHL playoffs

I thought Hartsburg was a good hire at the time. Previous time in Erie, young, USHL experience. But right now something isn’t clicking.
Erie has a flaw of always being too loyal to players and coaches. Dave Brown needs to recognize that by doing that, you impact the level of play for the fans. And in Erie that is going to impact consistent support. Which we can’t afford long term here. If we win less than 20 games this year, the crowd numbers will plummet. And it will make next year imperative for a 35+ win season. So again, if Hartsburg doesn’t turn things around.. we need to look elsewhere or the fans will go bye bye

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
He does have some coaching experience with an amateur team. The OHL has many coaches with experience that fall short. There are many other attributes that are as important or more so than experience. People skills, hockey knowledge, respect, playing experience, intelligence, personality, desire, and history. Mike lives near Erie, is from the area (Cleveland), played for the Otters, has a Stanley Cup ring, and is a real character with character.

Honestly.. he seems like a great type of guy to give that chance to. Does Rupp want to go into to coaching like that? It would be a full time commitment. I don’t necessarily believe he is looking that way, otherwise I feel like he would already be doing it and have had the chance.
But if he wanted to, I would imagine Erie would be a spot he would be interested and comfortable with. Certainly a cool name to throw out there as a thought. I’m sure there are other former Erie players that are actually coaching hockey that might make sense too

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
I was thinking all of this with Hartsburg last year and finally posted about him a week or so ago. The more games I watch the more I don't think he is the right fit. I know this team is far from a contender but they also should be better than one win at this point. Three more losses puts them on pace for another 10 win season. this team has much more talent than the roster that won just 10 games.

On another note if they end up finishing last and Shane Wright is granted exceptional status that could change everything. When a player with that amount of skill is available teams are better off finishing last instead of getting smacked in the first round of the playoffs. Imagine if Erie finished 19th and picked Roland McKeown instead of McDavid.........

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Well, we might have a hard time doing that what with Flint and their OHL experienced coaches working their magic. Sorry...that was cruel.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I was thinking all of this with Hartsburg last year and finally posted about him a week or so ago. The more games I watch the more I don't think he is the right fit. I know this team is far from a contender but they also should be better than one win at this point. Three more losses puts them on pace for another 10 win season. this team has much more talent than the roster that won just 10 games.

On another note if they end up finishing last and Shane Wright is granted exceptional status that could change everything. When a player with that amount of skill is available teams are better off finishing last instead of getting smacked in the first round of the playoffs. Imagine if Erie finished 19th and picked Roland McKeown instead of McDavid.........

I totally agree with that. If we can’t be a 28+ win team and show improvement (not looking like we can) then we are better off tanking. Problem is that as bad as Erie is in the standings.. they have much more talent and and history of a culture over Flint. So will be hard to beat Flint in that race.

This isn’t acceptable though. Not at all. This is a roster that has the ability to be a 7/8 seed team. But it’s not playing like that.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
All of the above are good points ..

However , I do think we need to give Hartburg considerably more time ..as in at least another year or two in addition to the rest of this year..We have conderably less talent then those 4 straight glory years ..Not even comparable.

As others have mentioned as well, players we do have haven’t necessarily stepped up yet from a scoring standpoint such as Fowler, Pod, Golod ..and Singer who from the suspension just joined the team so he couldn’t have been a factor yet but I think he could be near Lodnia in terms of production..it’s not just on the coach -players we have aren’t producing ..

As of now we could be a 10-12 win team ..do you keep Maks for leadership and maturity and to wear the C- or tank and go for picks..?? I wouldn’t let him go for anything other than a 2nd rndr in return and another 2nd and 4th at this point ..and if teams aren’t going to pay it you have him stay as an otter , don’t give him away too cheap

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I totally agree with that. If we can’t be a 28+ win team and show improvement (not looking like we can) then we are better off tanking. Problem is that as bad as Erie is in the standings.. they have much more talent and and history of a culture over Flint. So will be hard to beat Flint in that race.

This isn’t acceptable though. Not at all. This is a roster that has the ability to be a 7/8 seed team. But it’s not playing like that.
The thing you guys aren't figuring in is Flint is missing 3 of what will be their top 4 D. Picture the Otters missing Beamish, Henry and Martin. Flint lost Gordeev for 2 games, so subtract Drysdale for 2 games too. Now, tell me how do you think the Otters would be looking? I'm also fairly confident Dennis Busby, Ryan McCourt and Vladislav Kolyachonok are better D than Beamish, Henry and Martin. Those are going to be 3 HUGE adds when they return that will benefit the goaltending and the offense. When people were picking the Otters to miss the playoffs, that wasn't a snub against the Erie organization. You guys ran 4 straight incredible seasons. A rebuild is needed. Last year and this year. Then you guys should be moving back to the top of the standings. There aren't many draft picks left and I just cannot see them keeping Maksimovich. There's no need really. You could possibly land a youngster and a few picks just for him. Leadership is valuable. Expierience is valuable. Just not THAT valuable for this organization. When Jamie Drysdale is getting picked in the 1st round of the NHL draft two years from now he is not going to say "Well, I wouldn't be here today without the lessons Mak taught me". Will he help? Yes. Will he have a major impact on where the kids are two years from now? A little, but not much. Flint will be adding 3 impact D, still have an open OA spot and the coaching situation will solidify itself in the next couple weeks. Flint only has a 3pt lead in the race to Shane Wright but I would put my money on Kingston being the front runner for that race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad