Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Anyone know what's going on with Golod? Sure would be nice to ice a healthy line-up for once.

Nice win last night though after two ugly road games. Four games left, @MIS, vs. KIT, @GUE, vs. GUE. Not an easy schedule by any means but WSR is likely to lose today against SSM, leaving the teams tied while Erie will have 2 games in hand.
Not sure how 100% true this is, but someone had mentioned that Cooney said on the broadcast that as they were heading to Niagara to start their 3-in-3 this weekend, Max felt sick on the bus. Someone came to get him and took him to the hospital because he wasn’t feeling well. An update would be nice though from a team official to have clarity.
We were in Niagara that night and didn’t see him around.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I find it amusing that people are comparing him to NHL vets without even finishing his first year in the OHL. No doubt he is a good player but please let him mature on his own without the stupid comparisons...at least wait a few years. Never know, he could elope with an Erie puck bunny and move to south america
I don't see anything wrong with comparing these players to NHL stars. Hockey fans see comparisons in skating style and particular plays made by these OHL players that remind them of NHL players styles. Most of these players will tell you they pattern their play after a certain NHL player. I don't think anyone is really saying they are the same as a certain pro. I think this is all posters are saying.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Not sure how 100% true this is, but someone had mentioned that Cooney said on the broadcast that as they were heading to Niagara to start their 3-in-3 this weekend, Max felt sick on the bus. Someone came to get him and took him to the hospital because he wasn’t feeling well. An update would be nice though from a team official to have clarity.
We were in Niagara that night and didn’t see him around.

Side note, but I was there too and said hello to a few other Otters fans. If you saw a guy and a girl in McDavid and Raddysh jerseys obnoxiously yelling while sitting on the glass behind the net the Otters shot at twice, that was us!

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Side note, but I was there too and said hello to a few other Otters fans. If you saw a guy and a girl in McDavid and Raddysh jerseys obnoxiously yelling while sitting on the glass behind the net the Otters shot at twice, that was us!
We definitely saw you there! Wish we would have said hello. We sat on the other side of the net against the glass in Otters gear!

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Going to be an interesting last week for Erie. Guelph is pretty much locked into 4th so I wonder if they sit some of their better players.
Also, I felt bad for Ranger on Saturday after those two horrendous goals. Erie likely loses that game without those going in so he kept the playoffs hopes alive.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Luke Beamish skated with the team Monday. Really good sign that we could hopefully see him this weekend if not playoffs (if they make it).

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Also Oberoi is backing up tonight, Murphy injury is obviously fairly serious considering Ceci has played so much lately.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The playoff hopes are obviously in serious danger after that loss last night. Tonight is basically a must-win game with a home and home against Guelph this weekend.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
The playoff hopes are obviously in serious danger after that loss last night. Tonight is basically a must-win game with a home and home against Guelph this weekend.
Guelph is locked in for 4th seed without being able to move up or down in the standings. Do we see them playing their backup and resting their big guys for playoffs? Essentially they have nothing to play for this week.

I think we need 5/6 points this week for the playoffs and it’s going to be heartbreaking to fall short.

Hopefully Golod is in the lineup tonight.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Guelph is locked in for 4th seed without being able to move up or down in the standings. Do we see them playing their backup and resting their big guys for playoffs? Essentially they have nothing to play for this week.

I think we need 5/6 points this week for the playoffs and it’s going to be heartbreaking to fall short.

Hopefully Golod is in the lineup tonight.
If we need 5/6 points then we have basically have no chance. Golod could be back but I wouldn’t hold my hopes when he has missed 4 straight games and didn’t play last night. And Murphy appears (possibly) done for the year if he no longer is even a capable backup

But again I’m okay with it. Especially when we factor in Peterborough having their comp pick and jumping in at 5th overall pick

So do we want to pick 6th overall in the draft and 13th overall in the import OR do we want to pick 3rd/4th overall in the draft with the 7th or 10th overall in the import. I prefer the latter. Getting the 3rd overall pick in the OHL draft basically means that Dave Brown has his pick of the best of the 2003 group. Wright obviously going #1 overall. Then you have a seriously flawed Flint team that played their way (stupidly) out of the Wright pick .. Wright would have been forced by the OHL to sign there and could have maybe saved them. Instead, virtually anyone that they might want at 2 overall might be inclined to say no and Erie could get them at 3.

I want that 3rd overall pick. Essentially could get the best 2003 player available so it’s almost like picking 1 overall

Btw we currently have the exact same record/points as Barrie. So I’m assuming if it finished like that the tiebreaker for 3rd/4th pick would be GD? Hopefully because that would slide us into 3rd overall

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If we need 5/6 points then we have basically have no chance. Golod could be back but I wouldn’t hold my hopes when he has missed 4 straight games and didn’t play last night. And Murphy appears (possibly) done for the year if he no longer is even a capable backup

But again I’m okay with it. Especially when we factor in Peterborough having their comp pick and jumping in at 5th overall pick

So do we want to pick 6th overall in the draft and 13th overall in the import OR do we want to pick 3rd/4th overall in the draft with the 7th or 10th overall in the import. I prefer the latter. Getting the 3rd overall pick in the OHL draft basically means that Dave Brown has his pick of the best of the 2003 group. Wright obviously going #1 overall. Then you have a seriously flawed Flint team that played their way (stupidly) out of the Wright pick .. Wright would have been forced by the OHL to sign there and could have maybe saved them. Instead, virtually anyone that they might want at 2 overall might be inclined to say no and Erie could get them at 3.

I want that 3rd overall pick. Essentially could get the best 2003 player available so it’s almost like picking 1 overall

Btw we currently have the exact same record/points as Barrie. So I’m assuming if it finished like that the tiebreaker for 3rd/4th pick would be GD? Hopefully because that would slide us into 3rd overall

Yeah I agree with you here. Definitely will sting for the players but this team picked 1st overall in 2012 then 2nd overall in 2013, and they turned it out around pretty quickly without prior playoff experience. I obviously don't expect the turnaround to be that drastic this time around because McDavid was special, but it would be better to pick 3rd and get either Brandt Clarke (RD) or Mason McTavish (RC).

Reactions: ottersguy

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
That loss is probably the nail in the coffin.

Would love to see them nab Brandt Clarke at #3 (if they pick there) but Mason McTavish would be pretty nice too.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
That loss is probably the nail in the coffin.

Would love to see them nab Brandt Clarke at #3 (if they pick there) but Mason McTavish would be pretty nice too.

Draft McTavish, sign Alexander, take the best Import Goalie with the first import pick and make a decision on whether Hartsburg is the guy to lead this team or not.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Draft McTavish, sign Alexander, take the best Import Goalie with the first import pick and make a decision on whether Hartsburg is the guy to lead this team or not.
Those are definitely the off season goals and they have a long time to address them come August. One thing about this team is they never gave up this year. They continuously battled their way day in and out. They’re a young team which could all return next season that there’s nothing to be ashamed of.

From winning 12-1 in the home opener to increasing the amount of wins from last year, they’ve had success.

I do think they need someone who could work the PP/PK because that’s a huge area where we lack confidence.

J Simmons

Feb 11, 2018
I think we’ve got a lot of positive things to look forward to next year.
For example:
The possibility of a more consistently healthy roster
Fowler coming back for (knock on wood) a lengthy season
Drysdale in his sophomore season
Many of our core players being in their 3rd year (Duff, Henry, Sproule, Golod, Beamish, Murphy, Macdougall, Yetman)
Drysdale, Fowler, and Hoffmann’s draft years
High pick in both import and OHL priority selection

I also find the thought of Hoffmann having a breakout season as incredibly exciting. The kid looks like a full grown man out there, I honestly believe he’s 6’4 maybe 220 at this point. Sproule and Golod coming into a third year likely means they’re gonna have a fire under them to perform well for contracts. Drysdale, I can’t even begin to explain that the sky is the limit for this kid, skating ability and smarts aside, he’s got qualities of a leader that are candy for scouts and coaches everywhere.

I say this is our lineup, by October of 2019

Fowler- Cajka- Hoffmann
Sproule- Yetman- Golod
Macdougall-Mack- Singer
Sellan-D’amato-Cohen
Sedore-possible signing

Duff-Drysdale
Henry-Beamish
Martin-Kischnick (or Clarke)
Gillard

Goaltending is a mystery at this point due to the hectic nature of signing a goalie and hidden potential in goalies being tough to find. In which case I’ll leave goaltending up to speculation. I do wanna hear feedback on these predictions though because I want to know what you guys are thinking about all this

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think we’ve got a lot of positive things to look forward to next year.
For example:
The possibility of a more consistently healthy roster
Fowler coming back for (knock on wood) a lengthy season
Drysdale in his sophomore season
Many of our core players being in their 3rd year (Duff, Henry, Sproule, Golod, Beamish, Murphy, Macdougall, Yetman)
Drysdale, Fowler, and Hoffmann’s draft years
High pick in both import and OHL priority selection

I also find the thought of Hoffmann having a breakout season as incredibly exciting. The kid looks like a full grown man out there, I honestly believe he’s 6’4 maybe 220 at this point. Sproule and Golod coming into a third year likely means they’re gonna have a fire under them to perform well for contracts. Drysdale, I can’t even begin to explain that the sky is the limit for this kid, skating ability and smarts aside, he’s got qualities of a leader that are candy for scouts and coaches everywhere.

I say this is our lineup, by October of 2019

Fowler- Cajka- Hoffmann
Sproule- Yetman- Golod
Macdougall-Mack- Singer
Sellan-D’amato-Cohen
Sedore-possible signing

Duff-Drysdale
Henry-Beamish
Martin-Kischnick (or Clarke)
Gillard

Goaltending is a mystery at this point due to the hectic nature of signing a goalie and hidden potential in goalies being tough to find. In which case I’ll leave goaltending up to speculation. I do wanna hear feedback on these predictions though because I want to know what you guys are thinking about all this

I agree with you that the team is in good shape for next year. The pieces are there they just need to develop. However, I disagree a bit with you lineup.

Hoffman has a chance to have a big breakout but I think we have to wait to see on that. I think Cajka/Golod are two guys that have the most potential for a huge spike in points on a per game basis. After that, Erie will be adding either an Import, top 4 pick, or potential Alexander/Swankler. Thus, some of their 2000s like Mack will not have room on this roster.

I know many drool at the idea of Clarke and Drysdale but I look at things from what erie is likely to do

We had a previous trend of always going forward in the 1st round. And I for one like that. Star forwards are harder to find past round 1/2. Whereas defenders are late developers and you can find later (think D. Raddysh or Sambrook). So is Dave Brown really going to go defense in round 1 in back to back years? I for one, doubt it fully. I would be as shocked as ever with any decision that they ever made. I think the likely scenario is that Erie felt Drysdale (such special skating and such a great attitude/leader) was the overall 2nd best player in 2018 draft. Behind just Byfield. The next best forwards in their mind (Perfetti/Stranges/Cuylle) all had college route problems. So when Drysdale gave Erie the “yes” before the draft it was a no brainer. I just don’t see us chasing defense again. We still need star forwards. And unless we have a great insight that some college guy(s) will sign, we simply need to add a true center with goal scoring/star power.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Here are the likely locks going into next year:

Forwards:
Singer
Golod
Yetman
Cajka
MacDougall
Gritz
Sproule
Fowler
Hoffman
Import/1st Round OHL

Cohen/Sedore are likely to be here as well. Erie already signed them as mid/late round 2018 picks and thus they see a future with them. Particularly Cohen who scouts loved as a late steal and Brown has compared to Golod

That leaves Erie with 1-3 spots at the bottom of the roster. Mack/DAmato/Sellan all will fight for it but 100% would be shocked if even 2 are on the roster next year, let alone all 3. They all would need to show big improvement which would then force Erie to trade other veterans to make room. If Erie signs Swankler/Alexander then those 3 are in tough. Don’t forget about our two 2nd round picks and the possibility of other forwards from 2018 draft emerging. Other 2000s like Gritz/MacDougall will also need to improve or we might not have the room because young guys need ice too.

The defense is much more in the air because if we added, let’s say, a legit import.. then maybe Golden is not retained so they can retain our conditional pick. If Henry/Duff don’t develop enough then maybe one is traded. If Beamish isn’t healthy, then maybe that means a 2nd round pick cracks the roster as a 7th man. If Kischnick/Gillard don’t develop then Erie could move on from at least 1. Both are in year 3 and Erie has a tendency to cut bait with year 3 guys if they just aren’t the answer moving forward and/or there are other options (think Taylor Egan/Cole Mayo). There are a lot more questions on the backend. Plus we still have 2018 picks and Erie loves to redshirt their defenders for 1 year. Many bodies, just a matter of who develops

Reactions: EON

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
There's definitely a lot in the air right now but this team certainly has potential to be a good team next season, here's what my goals would be, obviously I don't have any inside info so I don't know how feasible some of my goals are.

1. Draft Brandt Clarke at #3 overall - He seems like another stud defenseman, we've seen how good Drysdale is, I would prefer to take him. Erie has Flint's 2nd which will probably be pick #22, take a forward there.
2. Sign Swankler or Alexander - I don't know how these guys are feeling but I think Erie really needs to land at least one of these guys for next season. I feel like Swankler is more likely, being from PA.
3. Address goaltending - Either by signing Aidan Campbell (who looks pretty promising), or taking a goalie in the import draft (or both honestly, Oberoi/Battaglia were busts, not sure about Murphy being anything more than a back up)
4. Address coaching - I'm unsure about Hartsburg. We've heard that the players don't really like him as he's pretty negative but he does seem to have the team playing hard and fighting all season. At the minimum they need to make changes with the assistants, the special teams were bad this season, especially the PK. Possibly a complete coaching staff overhaul.

My early projected roster:

Swankler-Cajka-Fowler
Sproule-Yetman-Golod
MacDougall-Gritz/Mack-Hoffmann
Sellan-D'Amato-Singer
Sedore/Cohen/2019 2nd

I think either Mack or Gritz is the odd man out here. Both will be 19 next season and both are probably 3Cs moving forward, shouldn't keep both of them. Singer possibly pushed out as well with the acquisition of MacDougall. Could also see an import forward brought in as well.

Henry-Drysdale
Duff-Clarke
Martin-Beamish
Gillard/Kischnick/2018 draft pick

I would absolutely not bring Golden back. While he's been useful for them post trade deadline in attempting a playoff push, the team will have the depth on defense next season, especially if they take Clarke like I want, it's not worth the 3rd round pick. Beamish/Gillard/Martin/Kischnick should all have to fight for their jobs with each other and any 2018 picks making a push, nothing set in stone outside that top 4 imo.

Murphy/Campbell/Import

Goaltending is a big question mark. Is Murphy a capable starter? Can they sign Campbell? Will they target an import goalie? No idea where to go here.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
There's definitely a lot in the air right now but this team certainly has potential to be a good team next season, here's what my goals would be, obviously I don't have any inside info so I don't know how feasible some of my goals are.

1. Draft Brandt Clarke at #3 overall - He seems like another stud defenseman, we've seen how good Drysdale is, I would prefer to take him. Erie has Flint's 2nd which will probably be pick #22, take a forward there.
2. Sign Swankler or Alexander - I don't know how these guys are feeling but I think Erie really needs to land at least one of these guys for next season. I feel like Swankler is more likely, being from PA.
3. Address goaltending - Either by signing Aidan Campbell (who looks pretty promising), or taking a goalie in the import draft (or both honestly, Oberoi/Battaglia were busts, not sure about Murphy being anything more than a back up)
4. Address coaching - I'm unsure about Hartsburg. We've heard that the players don't really like him as he's pretty negative but he does seem to have the team playing hard and fighting all season. At the minimum they need to make changes with the assistants, the special teams were bad this season, especially the PK. Possibly a complete coaching staff overhaul.

My early projected roster:

Swankler-Cajka-Fowler
Sproule-Yetman-Golod
MacDougall-Gritz/Mack-Hoffmann
Sellan-D'Amato-Singer
Sedore/Cohen/2019 2nd

I think either Mack or Gritz is the odd man out here. Both will be 19 next season and both are probably 3Cs moving forward, shouldn't keep both of them. Singer possibly pushed out as well with the acquisition of MacDougall. Could also see an import forward brought in as well.

Henry-Drysdale
Duff-Clarke
Martin-Beamish
Gillard/Kischnick/2018 draft pick

I would absolutely not bring Golden back. While he's been useful for them post trade deadline in attempting a playoff push, the team will have the depth on defense next season, especially if they take Clarke like I want, it's not worth the 3rd round pick. Beamish/Gillard/Martin/Kischnick should all have to fight for their jobs with each other and any 2018 picks making a push, nothing set in stone outside that top 4 imo.

Murphy/Campbell/Import

Goaltending is a big question mark. Is Murphy a capable starter? Can they sign Campbell? Will they target an import goalie? No idea where to go here.

My issue with taking a defender at 3rd/4th overall and then forward at 22,
It means our top forward at 22 overall is potentially Sproule 2.0 or Lodnia 2.0

Not to say those are bad players. But you can argue all you want about the defense, I won’t necessarily disagree, but what about our lack of PP success and our bad faceoff ability?
We don’t have a true #1 center. Maybe Cajka/Fowler are the answer next year but Cajka is likely to be gone by 2020 and Fowler is not a true center

Where are our centers? Where are the elite shooters?
Golod, Sproule, Fowler are more playmakers than shooters. We need a pure scorer. Conveniently McTavish fits exactly that. A true center with a great shot. He’s also 6’1 200lbs and is 16 years old. Another area of potential weakness is our size. He would add future size to the team as well.

Clarke is a good one too and I guess we can’t go wrong either way as we would add a top end player. I just personally think that you can have all the defense you want but the OHL is still a star power, offensive league. And that’s an issue for us right now. I think you can win in this league with veterans and 1 stud on defense. Don’t necessarily need all the huge names. I don’t think you can win in this league without those top end scorers.

All that being said..
IF (biggest IF) Erie feels they can sway 1 of Alexander/Swankler and then add a stud import forward that they will get for 2 years (not just 1 year).. then I would 100% say draft Clarke. Problem is that I have little faith that we actually get those signings done, leaving an offense with a lot of 2-3rd liners but not many future top tier players

LOTS of questions

That said, I feel we have the necessary assets to fill/fix the questions
What I mean by that is -

A) We have a lot of youth returning. Add to it that Fowler missed 40 games this year and Sproule/Hoffman/Golod finished strong. Everyone should be back but Poddubyni. This means that guys will be improving, meaning we fix some holes from within

B) we still have 2018 picks and potential college players that we can sign

C) the team will likely pick 3rd/4th overall in the OHL draft and then again at 22 overall

D) they are likely to have the 7-10th overall pick in the import

There are many chances to add more great young players to this team which will create competition and force the weaker players out or allow us to sell some guys for more assets. If we make the big splashes in import and with 2018 picks/college guys, then we can definitely be a top 4/5 team in the conference. Talent is there. Develop and sign guys and things will happen

Last edited:

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
The OHL is a Star Offensive driven league.

You need guys like McTavish to pot goals in order to win.

If you take Clarke you might as well be like London this year. A great team, but not enough offensive firepower to win the whole thing.

That's not to say Clarke isn't going to be an elite player, but with the way this team is constructed right now, it needs a goal scoring forward more than another puck moving defenseman.

Plus the team has more potential goal scorers to sign and draft (Alexader/Swankler and Flint's 2nd rounder) along with a top end import pick.

Brown is a smart guy and he and his staff have a plan that they are going to execute.

Trust Brown, he hasn't completely failed yet (other than the Lodnia trade and potentially Hartsburg as HC)

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The OHL is a Star Offensive driven league.

You need guys like McTavish to pot goals in order to win.

If you take Clarke you might as well be like London this year. A great team, but not enough offensive firepower to win the whole thing.

That's not to say Clarke isn't going to be an elite player, but with the way this team is constructed right now, it needs a goal scoring forward more than another puck moving defenseman.

Plus the team has more potential goal scorers to sign and draft (Alexader/Swankler and Flint's 2nd rounder) along with a top end import pick.

Brown is a smart guy and him and his staff have a plan they are going to execute.

Trust Brown, he hasn't completely failed yet (other than the Lodnia trade and potentially Hartsburg as HC)

I definitely think we need star offense

I trust our ability more to say draft a 18 year old (Cernak like) Import who can play here for 1-2 years rather than drafting a 2002 high end Import forward and getting him to sign.
Could we? Yes we could but unless we got a Marco Rossi type, the import draft is not the answer for offense. Getting a 2001 born import forward is a more likely option if we decided to go offense in the import. Which means if he’s a legit forward (which would be the target at 7-10 overall) then he’s likely nhl drafted. Which also means we (likely) get just 1 year out of him. But i would rather have a 2003 born in McTavish

Imo we need a top end 2002-2003 forward. We don’t have any due to the Drysdale pick last year and Alexander not showing up. Cohen the only one with high praise to maybe be a Golod like player. Alexander could still be signed. But if we missing out on a 2003 top forward, I fear that our offense will really be lacking in 2-3 years. And it’s harder to acquire or develop a top end scorer/playmaker on offense than it is to develop a good 2/3 defender.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
No way in the world I’m giving up a future 3rd rnd conditional pick for the defensman we acquired that can’t make a hit or take a hit or even have good defensive positioning .. check out the highlights from last nights game on that second or 3rd goal scored and see who just literally stood there ..let’s just let people camp out in front of our goal and be soft ..I don’t think so... Hit the guy and get em the hell outa the way and that goal wouldn’t have happened ..like about 5-10 others in the last few weeks..3rd line guy on a young rebuilding team get rid of him .. see ya GOLDEN..we got van boozled on that trade- had Beamish not gotten seriously hurt wouldn’t have needed him..

-Go for Clarke w our 1st pick shore up our D which is weak .. your not going to win many games by giving up what seams like 6-8 goals a game lately
-Grab a couple high end forwards and Stellar G who can make an immediate impact in the early rounds or import draft
-Clean house re the assistants and revamp the PK

Next year will be a make or break year - we need to get out of the basement and this basement dweller crap is getting old ..it’s the 3rd year into a rebuild and guessing we need to be somewhere around 10-12 games over .500

Reactions: EON

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
I definitely think we need star offense

I trust our ability more to say draft a 18 year old (Cernak like) Import who can play here for 1-2 years rather than drafting a 2002 high end Import forward and getting him to sign.
Could we? Yes we could but unless we got a Marco Rossi type, the import draft is not the answer for offense. Getting a 2001 born import forward is a more likely option if we decided to go offense in the import. Which means if he’s a legit forward (which would be the target at 7-10 overall) then he’s likely nhl drafted. Which also means we (likely) get just 1 year out of him. But i would rather have a 2003 born in McTavish

Imo we need a top end 2002-2003 forward. We don’t have any due to the Drysdale pick last year and Alexander not showing up. Cohen the only one with high praise to maybe be a Golod like player. Alexander could still be signed. But if we missing out on a 2003 top forward, I fear that our offense will really be lacking in 2-3 years. And it’s harder to acquire or develop a top end scorer/playmaker on offense than it is to develop a good 2/3 defender.

Exactly.

McTavish is going to help put goals in the back of the net, and one (if not both) of Alexander/Swankler will do that too if they sign. Plus you have Flint's 2nd rounder which can be used on a Dman

I still think the 1st import pick needs to be used on the best goalie available.

We saw what happened in 16/17 with an insane offense, good defense and suspect goaltending.

Take the import goalie (doesn't matter what year he is) and role with Import/Murphy till midseason. Then sign Campbell and get rid of Murphy.

Not that I don't like Murphy, I just don't see him as anything more than just a backup.

A good import goalie along with McTavish and one of (maybe both) Alexander/Swankler will put this team in the playoffs.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Imo the decisions made by Brown will largely hinge on what they think of Alexander/Swankler/Campbell and what they think their chances of signing them are

Let’s start with Campbell:

If you think he is a higher prospect than Murphy and has the potential AND you have a good chance to sign him,
Then that “solves” the goalie spot enough that I don’t think you use an import on a goalie.

If Campbell is either not your guy or you think you have little to no chance to sign him, then imo the import draft should be used on a goalie
Imagine 2016-17 with Dansk.. we likely win a Mem Cup and roll through the OHL playoffs in 2/3 less games

If import is the goalie spot,

Then it comes down to Alexander/Swankler. If Dave Brown has a strong indication that he can sway even 1 of those 2, then yes it makes sense to go Clarke at 3 overall and then 2 forwards in round 2

If Brown (and only he knows) realizes that it’s a long shot to get either to sign, then imo they should go forward at 3 overall and then draft a defender at 22 with the hopes that by 2019-20 he is a capable 4/5 guy. In the meantime, you fix your coaching and develop the 8 guys you have signed on defense and hope 1/2 more push for spots from the 2018 group. If you still feel you need improvements, a minor trade for a 4/5 veteran is affordable and realistic

But the point is that Dave Brown should know where he stands with the 3 biggest unsigned guys we have in our system. He needs to be smart and not foolish to just think “well I’ll convince them this summer”
He should already have a basic idea on each. And that should help make the other decisions a bit clearer for him

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Imo the decisions made by Brown will largely hinge on what they think of Alexander/Swankler/Campbell and what they think their chances of signing them are

Let’s start with Campbell:

If you think he is a higher prospect than Murphy and has the potential AND you have a good chance to sign him,
Then that “solves” the goalie spot enough that I don’t think you use an import on a goalie.

If Campbell is either not your guy or you think you have little to no chance to sign him, then imo the import draft should be used on a goalie
Imagine 2016-17 with Dansk.. we likely win a Mem Cup and roll through the OHL playoffs in 2/3 less games

If import is the goalie spot,

Then it comes down to Alexander/Swankler. If Dave Brown has a strong indication that he can sway even 1 of those 2, then yes it makes sense to go Clarke at 3 overall and then 2 forwards in round 2

If Brown (and only he knows) realizes that it’s a long shot to get either to sign, then imo they should go forward at 3 overall and then draft a defender at 22 with the hopes that by 2019-20 he is a capable 4/5 guy. In the meantime, you fix your coaching and develop the 8 guys you have signed on defense and hope 1/2 more push for spots from the 2018 group. If you still feel you need improvements, a minor trade for a 4/5 veteran is affordable and realistic

But the point is that Dave Brown should know where he stands with the 3 biggest unsigned guys we have in our system. He needs to be smart and not foolish to just think “well I’ll convince them this summer”
He should already have a basic idea on each. And that should help make the other decisions a bit clearer for him
Regarding Alexander, I think now that Drysdale had successful rookie year under his belt in Erie, it could help with swaying Alexander to sign. Having a close connection could be key to speeding up the process. Swankler being from PA might be easier to convince, but getting either of the two would be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad