Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
For a team that's been "rebuilding" they're certainly talented in OT/SO's. Leading the league in games won in both categories.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
I know in recent discussions it’s been mentioned that goaltenders do not normally go in the first round of the OHL draft selections ..
Wouldn’t doing your homework on say the top 2 projected tenders who may be available be worth investing in ?? I mean there are wants and there are needs .. Erie NEEDS this prob more than most - and how hard would it be to scout , research , , and figure out who’s looking to be drafted by an already rebuilding team who s showing some future promise ??
I’d break the mold and go for a stud goalie with the first or second pick -Again just my opinion ...ie go for someone w credentials that can contribute right away w Murph next year ..

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Yes, and to be honest with you Buttsy, his speed, skill, and hockey sense is every bit as good as McDavid at 16. Obviously, he is a defenseman, but I believe you are looking at a generational defenseman. This club is going to be a special group, maybe as soon as next year.

Jamie is a fantastic young defenseman but lets not get carried away and put him on the same level as McDavid.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Too many injuries this year

Beamish
Fowler
Singer
Kischnick

All have missed a good amount of time

Golod/Martin missed a good amount of time.

And now Murphy and Cajka injuried tonight. Just that kind of year.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Read on Twitter Ceci played Sunday game with an concussion.

I have no information about that but let’s not throw those type of allegations out there without proof or specific details. The Erie trainer and doctors are certified and experienced at their jobs. If they spotted a concussion they certainly would not have allowed him to play..

And considering I can’t find crap on it, it sounds like BS to me. Seriously, concussions are a major thing. Don’t throw that crap out there because of 1 tweet you saw from 1 person spreading crap.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I have no information about that but let’s not throw those type of allegations out there without proof or specific details. The Erie trainer and doctors are certified and experienced at their jobs. If they spotted a concussion they certainly would not have allowed him to play..

And considering I can’t find crap on it, it sounds like BS to me. Seriously, concussions are a major thing. Don’t throw that crap out there because of 1 tweet you saw from 1 person spreading crap.
Not throwing it around want a clarification also read it on a Facebook page maybe it was during the game .

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The OP who said that Ceci was concussed contracted it and apologized, he was wrong.

Thank you for clearing up

Would be a terrible thing if true which is why I would never discuss such a thing unless proof was there.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I was checking the standings this morning. Kingston is in last place, followed by Flint, then Erie followed closely by Barrie. Realistically, Erie can finish in 3rd from the bottom. It would be possible for them to draft a really, really good player who might refuse to report to Kingston or Flint, as did Drysdale.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I was checking the standings this morning. Kingston is in last place, followed by Flint, then Erie followed closely by Barrie. Realistically, Erie can finish in 3rd from the bottom. It would be possible for them to draft a really, really good player who might refuse to report to Kingston or Flint, as did Drysdale.
Brown had mentioned that if the draft were tomorrow, they’re ready and know who they’re picking. I wonder if we could do the same as Drysdale. Bring whoever they’re looking to draft to the EIA on March 3rd for a tour and their decision will be made for them.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Anyone know what the upcoming OHL draft class looks like and is it considered to be strong list this year ?

Do we have two second round pics this year ?

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
Anyone know what the upcoming OHL draft class looks like and is it considered to be strong list this year ?

It's been reported as a weak draft. There are a couple kids at the top that are a step ahead of everyone else. One kid has applied and expected to receive exceptional status like McDavid did. But, for the most part weaker than normal.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018

Erie has a Flint 2nd and a Niagara 2nd if the OHL draft pick database spreadsheet is up to date.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
It's been reported as a weak draft. There are a couple kids at the top that are a step ahead of everyone else. One kid has applied and expected to receive exceptional status like McDavid did. But, for the most part weaker than normal.

From what I have gathered it is weaker than normal due to the amount of potential NCAA commits. If Erie does get the third pick and Brown stating he knows who they would draft sounds like a good thing for Erie. I know Shane Wright applied for exceptional status but I doubt there is any way he falls to three. I dont think he would be granted exceptional status if he is not willing to report to the the team that takes him. In this case Flint or Kingston.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
From what I have gathered it is weaker than normal due to the amount of potential NCAA commits. If Erie does get the third pick and Brown stating he knows who they would draft sounds like a good thing for Erie. I know Shane Wright applied for exceptional status but I doubt there is any way he falls to three. I dont think he would be granted exceptional status if he is not willing to report to the the team that takes him. In this case Flint or Kingston.

We won’t get Shane Wright for the reasons stated. And that’s fine. There is also a near consensus #2 guy in Brandt Clarke who is a defensemen

Erie will almost certainly avoid a defender in this first round after the Drysdale pick last year. Imo would be foolish to go back to back years drafting a defender in the top 4 picks.

There are two names - Lockhart and McTavish. Both skilled forwards, both potential centers. Unless we have a deal cooked up with some college kid, those are the 2 names to keep an eye on. If we have a top 4 pick, I will bet one of those 2 ends up in Erie

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
We won’t get Shane Wright for the reasons stated. And that’s fine. There is also a near consensus #2 guy in Brandt Clarke who is a defensemen

Erie will almost certainly avoid a defender in this first round after the Drysdale pick last year. Imo would be foolish to go back to back years drafting a defender in the top 4 picks.

There are two names - Lockhart and McTavish. Both skilled forwards, both potential centers. Unless we have a deal cooked up with some college kid, those are the 2 names to keep an eye on. If we have a top 4 pick, I will bet one of those 2 ends up in Erie

I would have to think it is one of those two as well. Seems there is a larger than normal drop off after the top four picks this year because of NCAA commits. As much as I want Erie to be a playoff team this year I do not see how a first round exit to London (likely 4 game sweep but maybe 5 games) is more beneficial to the team than landing either one of Lockhart or McTavish.

Last edited:
Reactions: ottersguy

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Agreed. It is hard to root to lose, but in this case all my hockey friends look at every loss as a win in the big picture. It reminds me of some 6-7 years ago when we ended up in last place. We all know what happened then.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie's picks in the 2019 draft: 1st, FLT 2nd, NIA 2nd, 4th, KGN 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, OTT 13th, 14th, 15th.

I actually wouldn't mind them taking a defenseman again if they have plans to land a late 2001 or 2002 born forward in the import draft, similar to Cajka last summer. Their entire forward group outside of Poddubnyi can return next season and they could also still add Swankler or Alexander.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Erie's picks in the 2019 draft: 1st, FLT 2nd, NIA 2nd, 4th, KGN 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, OTT 13th, 14th, 15th.

I actually wouldn't mind them taking a defenseman again if they have plans to land a late 2001 or 2002 born forward in the import draft, similar to Cajka last summer. Their entire forward group outside of Poddubnyi can return next season and they could also still add Swankler or Alexander.

I agree with what you’re saying but based on scout rankings I don’t think they are picking a defenseman. Clarke seems to be highly skilled but a very similar player to Drysdale. After that the top 10 is loaded with forwards except one defenseman with a college commit.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I agree with what you’re saying but based on scout rankings I don’t think they are picking a defenseman. Clarke seems to be highly skilled but a very similar player to Drysdale. After that the top 10 is loaded with forwards except one defenseman with a college commit.

If they can get Clarke at #3 you absolutely take him, there's nothing wrong with having two highly skilled guys on the blueline.

Henry-Drysdale
Duff-Clarke

Is a great top 4, two big guys with two great puck moving dman. Bottom 3/4 spots would be between Martin (OA), Golden (OA), Beamish (If healthy), Gillard, Kischnick, and any 2018 guys that make a push. Add an import similar to Cajka and sign Swankler, you've got the makings of a great team.

Swankler-Cajka-Yetman
Golod-Fowler-Hoffmann
Sproule-Gritz-Singer (OA)
Import/MacDougall/Mack/Sellan/D'Amato/Cohen/Sedore

Lot of depth there at forward too, someone's gotta go.

Reactions: aresknights

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

If they knew they had a reallly good chance at landing Swankler or Alexander and they felt good about getting a stud Import 2001 forward, I would agree with you

But otherwise I want a top forward, particularly a guy who can play center. Imo you can win in this league without elite defense. Erie in 2017 did. Cernak/Raddysh were good but Raddysh was more a product of his experience. We still had a top 3-4 defense that year because it was a team defense with a good offense and good defensive forwards.
With Drysdale already being that elite guy, I prefer we now add the elite forward.

I like our depth on offense
Fowler, Golod, Sproule, Yetman, Cajka, Hoffman, MacDougall, Gritz, Singer are all guys who will be around the next 1-3 years. I like the potential of Cohen too and we will see with Sedore. But we have a lot of 2000s, so going to have to decide which ones will be here for 2020-21. Also who are the star guys? Fowler/Golod/Cajka are the two who we can maybe count on. But we currently have a lot of 2nd-3rd line players. I want to see us get some “1st line” guys. Adding a top 5 pick forward PLUS someone like Swankler or an Import and this offense will be set for the next 2 years.
Then it’s just a matter of coaching up the defense more and figuring out the goalie spot

But again draft Clarke if he falls and then go forward in the import and push the heck out of Swankler and again the offense is set and the defense will be damn good in 2020-21. Though I still would rather have an elite offense paired with a good team defense over an elite defense paired with a good team offense. Let’s see what London does in the playoffs as an example because they fit more of the latter this year.. and that might be their undoing or maybe it’s the reason they win

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If they knew they had a reallly good chance at landing Swankler or Alexander and they felt good about getting a stud Import 2001 forward, I would agree with you

But otherwise I want a top forward, particularly a guy who can play center. Imo you can win in this league without elite defense. Erie in 2017 did. Cernak/Raddysh were good but Raddysh was more a product of his experience. We still had a top 3-4 defense that year because it was a team defense with a good offense and good defensive forwards.
With Drysdale already being that elite guy, I prefer we now add the elite forward.

I like our depth on offense
Fowler, Golod, Sproule, Yetman, Cajka, Hoffman, MacDougall, Gritz, Singer are all guys who will be around the next 1-3 years. I like the potential of Cohen too and we will see with Sedore. But we have a lot of 2000s, so going to have to decide which ones will be here for 2020-21. Also who are the star guys? Fowler/Golod/Cajka are the two who we can maybe count on. But we currently have a lot of 2nd-3rd line players. I want to see us get some “1st line” guys. Adding a top 5 pick forward PLUS someone like Swankler or an Import and this offense will be set for the next 2 years.
Then it’s just a matter of coaching up the defense more and figuring out the goalie spot

But again draft Clarke if he falls and then go forward in the import and push the heck out of Swankler and again the offense is set and the defense will be damn good in 2020-21. Though I still would rather have an elite offense paired with a good team defense over an elite defense paired with a good team offense. Let’s see what London does in the playoffs as an example because they fit more of the latter this year.. and that might be their undoing or maybe it’s the reason they win

I will agree with you there. I think it really just depends on how they feel about landing Swankler/Alexander and the import draft. I also am not thrilled with this defensive group and think they could inject another high end guy. You don't need an elite d-group but Erie's was still pretty dang good in their title run, with all 3 pairings very capable of moving the puck up the ice quickly to the forwards. I don't think you can say the same about this group right now outside of Drysdale.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I will agree with you there. I think it really just depends on how they feel about landing Swankler/Alexander and the import draft. I also am not thrilled with this defensive group and think they could inject another high end guy. You don't need an elite d-group but Erie's was still pretty dang good in their title run, with all 3 pairings very capable of moving the puck up the ice quickly to the forwards. I don't think you can say the same about this group right now outside of Drysdale.

Thats a fair point. I do like Duff but outside of him and Drysdale that’s about it.

I wonder how they feel about 2018 picks Ethan Ritchie and Logan Maunder though. Even Cam Morton and John Richer. Mid round picks that could turn out. Kischnick/Gillard are a wait and see.

Maybe the import draft is a solution for that though. If we got an Erik Cernak player again for 2 years.. would be perfect.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Where does everyone think Erie will draft a goalie? Do they use an early round pick or late round? Murphy was the last pick in his draft class so anything could happen, or do they draft a tender as an import?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->