Player Discussion Eric Staal

Bee Holder

Jul 3, 2017
Montreal
In game 1, Staal had a very good/great 1st period. For the rest of the game, I didn't notice any "bad" plays, while not seeing great/good plays either (edit: maybe a couple actually). Adding to that, the pass to Anderson's goal (which was actually overall a veteran (high IQ) pass) that gave the tone to the game.

Considering all that, I'm not as mad anymore about the coaching's choice, he had a good game overall, and good thing we have depth, we can switch him in and out with our youth and bring him fresh when it counts.

Thanks Staal, good game. Don't expect to play every night, but be ready like last night when you will. :)

Reactions: angusyoung

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I've been more anti-staal than a formula 1 car, so I feel I need to give credit when it's due.

He held his own last night, wasn't a play driver but was much more reliable defensively. I've got no issue having him in the lineup as a 4C if he can play like that.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

ghost85875

Apr 9, 2021
Nice to see that he has stepped up.

I wanted him out but was understanding of Ducharme's decision. He had to start the veterans to count on their full collaboration afterwards.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Well that didn't last long. It's almost as if playing the whole year like an AHLer is more telling than 1 game lol.
I didn’t think he was any worse than anyone else really lol

First goal was a turnover by Lehkonen off the refs foot- I know that was his spot but no one coulda predicted that.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
tumblr_nf0xo550zY1tq4of6o1_500.gif

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
wether it's MB or DD, it's just silly. He's been useless all series long, should be either in the press box, or stappled to the bench the way gustafsson has been.

outside of a few nice passes in the first game, he's done nothing of value that would explain keeping him in the lineup.

Put evans at C and get Tatar back in... while Tatar is also underwhelming, he at least can skate, play ok in the dzone, support the transition and sometimes extend possession in the offensive zone. Staal does none of that.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
wether it's MB or DD, it's just silly. He's been useless all series long, should be either in the press box, or stappled to the bench the way gustafsson has been.

outside of a few nice passes in the first game, he's done nothing of value that would explain keeping him in the lineup.

Put evans at C and get Tatar back in... while Tatar is also underwhelming, he at least can skate, play ok in the dzone, support the transition and sometimes extend possession in the offensive zone. Staal does none of that.

Best thing stall does is wiff Grade A+ scoring chances.. I don't understand it.

I mean I understand first impressions can last... but holy shit this guys bad.

Reactions: Miller Time

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
I remember when Julien touted Deslauriers Thompson Weise as a line that would play with a lot of physicality, be hard to play against. They didn't last 2 games as they were getting skated circles around and were quickly in the minus. Kind of like Staal himself...

And who can forget the great, physical Martinsen-Ott-Dwight King line.

Love these physical lines in the new NHL.

P.S.: who can forget all the "grit" we were told Weise-Domi-Weal were going to bring to the return to play last year...
I am trying to forget these lines

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Good game sir, good game sir. Experienced players came in clutch today as they should have.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Silence in here when he picks up two apples in the biggest game of the year. Has already surpassed his regular season point totals this playoff.
So much for the “Tatar over Stall in game 7” talk.
2 apples and played very well.
2nd in team scoring lol

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Great game , lots of people eating a Leaf sandwich tonight.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's not Perry good but he brings a similar level of smarts and good strong cycling. MB deserves credit for grabbing these two. Perry more obviously but I like what Staal brings. They bring an added dimension to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00