Player Discussion Eric Staal

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Not even sure how he's doing it to be honest lol but hope it continues.

The points are there. But his coverage on the Jets goal that made it 4-3 was horrendous. He went straight to the front of the net to slash the stick of a Jet who was already covered, allowing the transverse pass to the man he should have been covering to score.

Reactions: overlords and 417

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The points are there. But his coverage on the Jets goal that made it 4-3 was horrendous. He went straight to the front of the net to slash the stick of a Jet who was already covered, allowing the transverse pass to the man he should have been covering to score.
Yep. Not a good play.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He somehow puts up points while being invisible in offensive zone and making mistakes defending.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
6 points for Staal in 7 games which is the team lead. If you told me that Staal would be leading the Habs in points after the Habs win 5 playoff games, I would have laughed you out of the room. I'll eat my crow, he along with the rest of the 4th line has been stellar. Little to no ice time and no PP too...

Playing on the 4th line with little TOI and has-bins and getting points, seems to work for him for some reason but not others:confused:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Yeah, its gotta be said, the 6 points in 7 playoff games already makes the rental trade a success, not asking to re-sign him by any means , but truly thankful for the playoff contribution
It's a hell of a 4th line
If perry and Staal were 29 even wed win the cup lol

If Perry and Staal were 29 we wouldn't have gotten them for a total cost of a 3rd, a 5th and $2.4M worth of cap space lol. But I've been pleasantly surprised by Staal in these playoffs. He was beyond useless in the RS but in the last few games he's shown he still has a couple of tricks under his sleeve.

Reactions: aresknights

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If Perry and Staal were 29 we wouldn't have gotten them for a total cost of a 3rd, a 5th and $2.4M worth of cap space lol. But I've been pleasantly surprised by Staal in these playoffs. He was beyond useless in the RS but in the last few games he's shown he still has a couple of tricks under his sleeve.

Perry and Staal are older and slower but still show that elite skill to process the game and be helpful and contribute and not be detrimental.Just need to keep it up.

Reactions: aresknights

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Wow he’s our most productive forward with 11 minutes a game? It’s not just the points though in the Leafs series he was one of the only players with a positive corsi...the Perry-Staal-Armia line has been good and this gives us tremendous depth.

I feel like a fool...I should have known better then criticizing Bergy’s trading! Nice work, already a successful rental

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
"Built for the playoffs". Might have a hard time getting there but when he does....look out.

Reactions: angusyoung

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He was a tire fire.......................and then the playoffs..............just wow. Can't help but think that Perry is the guy who stirs the drink on that line.
Glad to see Staal coming around.........wanted him out of the lineup, but now......wow.

Reactions: DAChampion

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
give him offensive zone faceoffs, skate to the bench when the play is over.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Him and Perry playing on a line together is pretty awesome to see. Two great players that have been doing it a long long time

Also both guys won cups in their early 20s. How sweet would it be to see them hoist it in their mid-30s?

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I’ll eat crow, looked like a total waste of space til the playoffs

Serve me an extra portion as well. I have to say that playoff Staal has been way better than regular season Staal, but that wasn't a very high standard. He wasn't good for lots of moments, but he contributed in key moments and the points are there. His line with Perry and Armia has worked well over the last few games.

The most important thing about the criticism towards playing him, was mainly about playing him over guys like KK, CC and Evans. Since they are all playing, Staal has not hurt the team on the 4th line, in his limited role. Like I said, he's made some important plays that lead to goals, so he's contributing beyond my expectations.

Now if you don't mind, I'll go fetch the salt and pepper to eat my crow.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Serve me an extra portion as well. I have to say that playoff Staal has been way better than regular season Staal, but that wasn't a very high standard. He wasn't good for lots of moments, but he contributed in key moments and the points are there. His line with Perry and Armia has worked well over the last few games.

The most important thing about the criticism towards playing him, was mainly about playing him over guys like KK, CC and Evans. Since they are all playing, Staal has not hurt the team on the 4th line, in his limited role. Like I said, he's made some important plays that lead to goals, so he's contributing beyond my expectations.

Now if you don't mind, I'll go fetch the salt and pepper to eat my crow.
Need to try some of this and smoke it low and slow

61AxEAtEAuL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Thats pretty interesting lol
Of the VAUNTED and nonstop talked about 2003 greatest draft of all time

ONLY Eric Staal has reached 1000 points from that entire group lol, with getzlaf closing in and bergeron not too far behind

With MOST of them all retired by 36 , i used to think EVERYONE played til like 40 lol but thats just not the case, roaming hockeydb the passed couple of days its absolutely shocking how many guys are done by 32-33-34-35 wow

Reactions: angusyoung

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes