Player Discussion Eric Staal

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
wether it's MB or DD, it's just silly. He's been useless all series long, should be either in the press box, or stappled to the bench the way gustafsson has been.

outside of a few nice passes in the first game, he's done nothing of value that would explain keeping him in the lineup.

Put evans at C and get Tatar back in... while Tatar is also underwhelming, he at least can skate, play ok in the dzone, support the transition and sometimes extend possession in the offensive zone. Staal does none of that.

well... i'll eat my crow sandwich...

gotta hand it to him, largely ineffective but has the instincts, game sense, confidence and skill to make high-impact plays... almost as if he's playing rope-a-dope, conserving energy just waiting for that one seam or that on chip that leads to a great opportunity.

i would've put Tatar in, but in hindsight, zero expectation that Tatar would've contributed what Staal did to the win.

Jets C's are nasty, he'll be in tough playing the same way against them, but here's hoping he can keep being opportunistic.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
His play to me is a humbling reminder of the value of experience and why the coaches rely on players like him. He looks slow, he got lucky on two penalties, but he just instinctively understands the correct play to be made. He looked like a corpse of a player in the regular season and here we are, he's among our best point producers.

Reactions: CoopersFalls

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I'm still not sold on him. He exceeded every expectation so far, but with little time to rest before the next game he might not be able to keep the pace.

Reactions: llamateizer

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Always knew he could do it :sarcasm:

Bashed him lots and he deserved ever word of it for the way he played but happy to see him turn it around last couple of games and hope he keeps it up cause he’s not coming out of the lineup no matter what at this point.

Reactions: angusyoung

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Great game 1 and 7, only 1-4 on the dot tonight , but his big frame helped us so much too
Great poke on the gallagher goal, and on the Toffoli goal I'm like how in the HELL did he successfully pull off the galchenyuk suicide pass?..watched the replay from a different angle, he actually CHECKS over his shoulder first before making that pass to Toffoli for the dagger, 2 big points tonight, and I thank him

Hope he can be useful vs the jets, they're an animal too

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I liked Staal's play all series long. He's a handful down low, he's got good offensive instincts and he's very reliable in the d-zone outlets. The pass to Toffoli was a beauty and the epitome of a veteran play.

I was critical of the acquisition, but I don't think the Habs win that series without Staal. He also allows Evans to play LW on Danault's line, where Evans has been very useful.

I am officially conceding that it was a good trade and that winning that series was a great experience for the kids as well so having Staal will have helped them mature as players.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
I don't know. He was a main bashing target since he came, but I really started to think that when you come out of Buffalo you're not ready for a competitive hockey and you need some time to get back your hockey skills. IMO, that's what happened to Staal. Hall adjusted quicker cause he's much younger.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Like Perry, he found ways to adapt his game around his limitations and diminishing skill. I wouldnt want him on the ice 20 minutes every night but he can be an effective role player with the right linemates. Plus, he takes some of the faceoff load off Danault, which has been a key factor .

Our two best guys in the dot were Evans 55% and Kotkaniemi 54%.

Danault and Stall were 50%.

Suzuki struggled at 43%.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
well... i'll eat my crow sandwich...

gotta hand it to him, largely ineffective but has the instincts, game sense, confidence and skill to make high-impact plays... almost as if he's playing rope-a-dope, conserving energy just waiting for that one seam or that on chip that leads to a great opportunity.

i would've put Tatar in, but in hindsight, zero expectation that Tatar would've contributed what Staal did to the win.

Jets C's are nasty, he'll be in tough playing the same way against them, but here's hoping he can keep being opportunistic.
Most importantly of all, don’t forget size...size up the middle, which played a huge role this series, and like Weber & Perry these vets get away with non-calls vs other players.

Also, Dom Dom deserves credit for usage of Staal, his 10-11 TOI have been very carefully & strategically managed.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
The good thing is you can scratch him in one of the b2b games. Lehkonen can still prove himself and put pressure on Evans and other guys.

Staal and Perry are important to the team.

I'm glad that Staal found his spot

Reactions: angusyoung

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
tenor.gif

VERY impressed by him. A real leader, a warrior, a winner. You can see him on the ice constantly talking to the other Habs. I heard he and Perry talked the other players before Game 5 and it motivated them. They know how to win.

Toronto got Thornton, a proven choker, we got Staal and Perry. BIG difference.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Good game but there were two obvious non calls that could have really hurt the team. He had a lot of leeway tonight.

Yeah had he got called on those plays and Toronto scores on the PP then Staal would be getting crucified and rightfully so. He brought some good things but he got really lucky with the refs.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
6 points for Staal in 7 games which is the team lead. If you told me that Staal would be leading the Habs in points after the Habs win 5 playoff games, I would have laughed you out of the room. I'll eat my crow, he along with the rest of the 4th line has been stellar. Little to no ice time and no PP too...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00