Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
man, if we were able to get Vrbata on top of Staal, we'd have a sexy 16

Staal-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Brass-Zucc
Kreider-Hayes-Vrbata
Lindberg-Moore-Fast
Stahlberg
FWIW, their top-9 is already one of the best in the league. I mean production-wise Stalberg is probably as good as Vrbata anyway this year.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Honest 2 questions for the supporters of this trade.

1) Do you think we're cup contenders with Staal this year?

2) Do you think we'll be able to resign him?

Because if the answer to both of these questions is not what was the point of the trade?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

Because if the answer to both of these questions is not what was the point of the trade?

no and no.

Staal was a very good add at his cost but he wasn't what we needed.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

1. Yes. With or without Staal we are Cup contenders. 2nd best team in the East.

2. No and don't want to.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Bottom-6 PKer and a 2nd/3rd pairing puck moving D-man would've been better investments IMO.

Staal is a wonderful PK'er so that's not a problem me thinks.

It doesn't address the whole "AV has been brainless this season" thing though.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014

1. I've been following the team 41 years: I never think we're contenders. In spite of this, we've gone consistently deep in recent years and there is something to be said for that.

2. I don't know the plans of upper management. For all we know, they intend in the off-season to try to move Nash to sign Yandle and Staal with his and Boyle's off the books money. I don't guess, cuz who knows what they're thinking.

At the end of the day, it is somewhat impossible to gauge a true contender. Some factors, like luck and health and timing, seem to help and you simply never know. Will better teams have key players hobbling in the playoffs? Will we?

All fanbases can point at holes in their respective rosters. Our most glaring are on D. But we have one hell of a forward group, and a goalie capable of greatly minimizing the holes on D. If we're healthy, I reckon we can give anyone a relatively annoying time in a 7 game series.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Lee Stempniak fetched back #2 and #4. Staal is massively better than Stempniak, the trade value difference is not Saarela, a smallish prospect with a history of concussions and a middle-6 potential as his ceiling.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
1. I've been following the team 41 years: I never think we're contenders. In spite of this, we've gone consistently deep in recent years and there is something to be said for that.

2. I don't know the plans of upper management. For all we know, they intend in the off-season to try to move Nash to sign Yandle and Staal with his and Boyle's off the books money. I don't guess, cuz who knows what they're thinking.

At the end of the day, it is somewhat impossible to gauge a true contender. Some factors, like luck and health and timing, seem to help and you simply never know. Will better teams have key players hobbling in the playoffs? Will we?

All fanbases can point at holes in their respective rosters. Our most glaring are on D. But we have one hell of a forward group, and a goalie capable of greatly minimizing the holes on D. If we're healthy, I reckon we can give anyone a relatively annoying time in a 7 game series.

I think its problematic to gauge a contender, because you really need to watch the other contenders a lot to realize just how flawed they also are. If you in a year mostly watch teams like Chi, ANA, LAK, Washington this year, in highlights and the odd period here and there -- its easy to get the impression that they are perfect and stacked with great players etc. But instead they have a few really strong parts of a team and just manage to put the rest together. Sure the best is better than the rest and you won't win a Cup if you don't play really good hockey, but the marginals to get there is really not big.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Staal is a wonderful PK'er so that's not a problem me thinks.

It doesn't address the whole "AV has been brainless this season" thing though.

And honestly, no amount of roster changes could fix the whole "Brainless AV" thing. Even if you cloned Crosby x12 and Karlsson x6 and stuck them in the lineup.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think its problematic to gauge a contender, because you really need to watch the other contenders a lot to realize just how flawed they also are. If you in a year mostly watch teams like Chi, ANA, LAK, Washington this year, in highlights and the odd period here and there -- its easy to get the impression that they are perfect and stacked with great players etc. But instead they have a few really strong parts of a team and just manage to put the rest together. Sure the best is better than the rest and you won't win a Cup if you don't play really good hockey, but the marginals to get there is really not big.

Completely agree.

Plus, for all their warts, I still think the Rangers have the 2nd best chance of any team in the east, making them contenders.

1. Was
2. Rangers
3. TB

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The thing that is very evident about Staal is his reach and his ability to steal and disrupt plays by opposing teams. He and Hayes are going to wreak havoc on the other team in their zone.

If Miller and Kreider can continue with their physical play the team will look pretty good. Especially once Nash comes back.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I would have rather traded away just 1 second round pick(or 3rd?) for Vrbata than trade away our 2nd best offensive prospect for Staal...and two additional 2nd rounders.

Just keep burning away the future. Going to be a rough few years in 5-6 years, especially when Lundqvist is on the decline...

Best part is...Vrbata has more goals than Staal on the season :laugh:

Not sure if you have watched many Vancouver games. My guess is you haven't. Vrbata has been disgustingly bad this year.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
all we gotta do is show up to the playoff and i think Hank could carry the mighty ducks(from the first movie where theyre all like 10) past the first two rounds. especially if we face pittsburgh.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY

1.) Yes, don't let the hate around these forums get to you.

2.) I'm wearing black everyday in the summer anticipating the funeral we will have for the NYR roster.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Vrbata made perfect sense until he decided to contribute absolutely nothing positive this year.

Vrbata has the same p/60 as Brandon friggin Prust.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers have Arizona & Carolina retaining $6.75M. The Rangers have a roster of nearly $78 million not including the remaining space to operate the team. This is the year. Uncertainty about the cap next season.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The thing that is very evident about Staal is his reach and his ability to steal and disrupt plays by opposing teams. He and Hayes are going to wreak havoc on the other team in their zone.

If Miller and Kreider can continue with their physical play the team will look pretty good. Especially once Nash comes back.

Everything else aside, defensively I think E Staal is a good add.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

The Rangers are a contending team. How strong of one remains to be seen. E. Staal brings experience, cup pedigree, leadership, plus he's still a good center and good overall player.

If his demands are in line with his present abilities I think they should try to sign him.

I think management sees what we see. This team needs a new direction, however they've come so close and with the injuries last year that they deserve another shot at the cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad