Player Discussion Eric Staal Part II

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
There's changes of scenery, but then there's changes of scenery. This is comfortably the latter. Eric goes from a team that hasn't seen the playoffs in 6 years, in a market that easily forgets it has a hockey team, with no pressure to do much of any damage; to a large hockey market, loaded with talent and expectations.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Produced in the playoffs how many years ago?

He's redundant because he's yet another left hand shot, power forward with an average shot that has to be in or around the crease to score.

Kreider, Nash, Staal and to an extent Hayes are all players of the same ilk. Obviously Staal and Nash are better finishers, but we have 4 guys on this team that want to play the same way.

We need a finishing, right handed shot that can beat a goalie off the rush or off a one timer on the PP.

Chicago: Seabrook, Panarin
Washington: Ovechkin, Carlson
Dallas: Sharp, Spezza, Seguin
LA: Voynov, when they were winning cups

So since we weren't getting any of the guys you listed, we should have paid a fading -20 to -30 player because he has a right handed shot?

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
So since we weren't getting any of the guys you listed, we should have paid a fading -20 to -30 player because he has a right handed shot?

What do you mean "paid?"

There's no reason in the world to believe we wouldn't have paid less for Vrbata.

And you do realize he's on Vancouver, right? Everyone makes the argument for Staal being "re-energized" coming to NY.. who's to say Vrbata wouldn't have done the same?

Your +/- argument holds no water at all. Look at Keith Yandle's +/- when he was on ARZ compared to with us

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
What do you mean "paid?"

There's no reason in the world to believe we wouldn't have paid less for Vrbata.

And you do realize he's on Vancouver, right? Everyone makes the argument for Staal being "re-energized" coming to NY.. who's to say Vrbata wouldn't have done the same?

Your +/- argument holds no water at all. Look at Keith Yandle's +/- when he was on ARZ compared to with us

I definitely would have taken a filer on Vrbata.

To me, +/- means nothing. Yandle's was terrible when he came here, but that was cause he was on a horrible team.

member 116805

I dunno, Im starting to like this, all though I wish we would have made a bottom 6/PK move also.

I am thinking Staals possession will do wonders for this team, and I am curious to see if they put him with Brass and Zucc to regain some of the possession numbers they had in the days of Poo

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
What do you mean "paid?"

Tlusty and Alex Semin aren't exactly the Sedin twins.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I dunno, Im starting to like this, all though I wish we would have made a bottom 6/PK move also.

I am thinking Staals possession will do wonders for this team, and I am curious to see if they put him with Brass and Zucc to regain some of the possession numbers they had in the days of Poo

Dan Girardi and Marc Staal playing top pair minutes do not agree.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Produced in the playoffs how many years ago?

He's redundant because he's yet another left handed power forward with an average shot that has to be in or around the crease to score.
In the playoffs space and time are mostly eliminated, goals aren't scored off the rush, most of them are right around the crease, through traffic, from broken plays. He is that type of scorer you describe but I'll argue that's much more valuable than some perimeter shooter you were hoping for.

If he's a redundant Nash than I love the idea of having two of them.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about here. I never once mentioned Hamhius, Skjei, or any of those players.

All I'm saying is that this team has several needs that should have gotten addressed. We failed to address those needs, IMO , and we will be bounced out of the playoffs because of it. Our bottom 6 has taken a hit in the past few years. We've lost guys like Hagelin, Dorsett, Boyle. Guys that in the past were top notch defensive forwards and gave us a quality bottom 6.

There's no doubt Staal makes us a better team. Of course he does. He's not the piece we needed though. That's my take on it. With that being said I hope he lights it up for us heading into the playoffs. I just don't see enough balance and quality in the bottom 6 to compete with the likes of CHI, LA, & WSH

You mentioned faceoffs. Eric Staal is 27th in the league in faceoffs. 53.7%. Better than any forward we have besides Moore.

Once Nash is back our top 6 will consist of Staal, Stepan, Zucc, Nash, Brassard, Kreider/Miller. That's filthy. That leaves Hayes, Lindberg, Stalberg, Fast, Moore, Miller/Kreider on the bottom 6. How much better do you want?

The real area of concern is defense and there's nothing we could have done about that today.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
In the playoffs space and time are mostly eliminated, goals aren't scored off the rush, most of them are right around the crease, through traffic, from broken plays. He is that type of scorer you describe but I'll argue that's much more valuable than some perimeter shooter you were hoping for.

If he's a redundant Nash than I love the idea of having two of them.

Kreider, Hayes, Nash, Staal.. at what point do we realize we have enough guys that play that style and we need to diversify?

A right handed shoot-first guy could be huge for this team. It would open up options on the left wing that would require other teams to more heavily respect that side of the ice. And in the process give guys like Nash and Brassard more room on the right side.

Especially on the PP. We have such a one-dimensional PP it's almost painful to watch compared to a team like Washington or Chicago

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Say what you will, but after seeing the other deals, especially the Ladd deal whom I believe is worse than E.Staal, I think this is a very solid trade for us.

I also don't understand why people wanted worse players than Staal because they slot in better in the bottom 6 or whatever. Staal is better and wherever he slots in, he will push other players down which creates great depth.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I feel like people who wear #12 here, recently, are cursed to suck. Jokinen, Paille, Kotalik, Rissmiller...

Please end this streak, Staal.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
I want to ask this question before he starts playing.

What are the odds he resigns with us in off season?

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Kreider, Hayes, Nash, Staal.. at what point do we realize we have enough guys that play that style and we need to diversify?

A right handed shoot-first guy could be huge for this team. It would open up options on the left wing that would require other teams to more heavily respect that side of the ice. And in the process give guys like Nash and Brassard more room on the right side.

Especially on the PP. We have such a one-dimensional PP it's almost painful to watch compared to a team like Washington or Chicago
you're right on the righty shot shooter points, it would help, but tell me a right shot sniper that was available or dealt?

E.Staal is better than Vrbata now, past and future. If there was a righty shooter out there on par with Staal I didn't see him moved or shopped. Stamkos wasn't going anywhere.

I don't see him as redundant, I see it as more balance. There's the potential for 3 really strong scoring lines now.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
you're right on the righty shot shooter points, it would help, but tell me a right shot sniper that was available or dealt?

E.Staal is better than Vrbata now, past and future. If there was a righty shooter out there on par with Staal I didn't see him moved or shopped. Stamkos wasn't going anywhere.

I don't see him as redundant, I see it as more balance. There's the potential for 3 really strong scoring lines now.

Vrbata was the guy for me. Could've bought extremely low since he's having a very poor year. 1 season removed from 31 goals and 63 points. A no-brainer acquisition that was on the block and could've easily been had for less than what we paid for Staal.

Either way, it is what it is. Here's to hoping Staal can jump start the PP, win some draws and score some clutch goals for us.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I want to ask this question before he starts playing.

What are the odds he resigns with us in off season?

I'd say slight unless the Rangers do a major restructuring of the lineup and he is not asking for a huge 9 year deal blah blah

Jun 16, 2015
He tweeted that NYR were the place he wanted to be in. Maybe it was the reason of his weird play :sarcasm:;)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: