Player Discussion Eric Staal Part II

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
lol getting Vrabata was the solution.

Staal adds something every playoff team could use more of. He's also a shoot first guy we've been missing. He actually has a record of being a playoff performer, so I'll take my odds of him showing up in the postseason.

the top 9 is better. I'd try him both at center and wing, plenty of time to figure out where he fits in best.

Mill-Brass-Zucc
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Stalberg-Staal-Hayes
Lindberg-Moore-Fasst

Or load up with

Staal-Stepan-Nash or Nash-Staal-Stepan and bump Kreider down to play with Hayes. Lots of flexibility and plenty of possible combinations to try. If Miller's play falls off he can also slide with Staal-Brass-Zucc.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Staal adds something every playoff team could use more of. He's also a shoot first guy we've been missing. He actually has a record of being a playoff performer, so I'll take my odds of him showing up in the postseason.

the top 9 is better. I'd try him both at center and wing, plenty of time to figure out where he fits in best.

Mill-Brass-Zucc
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Stalberg-Staal-Hayes
Lindberg-Moore-Fasst

Or load up with

Staal-Stepan-Nash or Nash-Staal-Stepan and bump Kreider down to play with Hayes. Lots of flexibility and plenty of possible combinations to try. If Miller's play falls off he can also slide with Staal-Brass-Zucc.

Either way, that is a ridiculous amount of talent in our top 9. Hell, with Glass out of the line up what could easily be a 3rd line now becomes a 4th (Lindberg-Moore-Fast)

I think management realized that we probably couldn't improve the defense before the deadline so they are hell bent on Lundqvist staying in brick wall mode and if he can't, they hope we can score our way out of anything.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011

Mill-Brass-Zucc
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Stalberg-Staal-Hayes
Lindberg-Moore-Fasst

Or load up with

He was more of a solution than Staal. He actually fills, you know, a need. A right handed sniper that can play on the PP and in the top 6. I'd argue we could've given up much less to get him from VAN than what we gave up for Staal. Much less risk there if he doesn't resign or doesn't perform.

Either way, that is a ridiculous amount of talent in our top 9. Hell, with Glass out of the line up what could easily be a 3rd line now becomes a 4th (Lindberg-Moore-Fast)

I think management realized that we probably couldn't improve the defense before the deadline so they are hell bent on Lundqvist staying in brick wall mode and if he can't, they hope we can score our way out of anything.

Sounds like a recipe for success.. :shakehead

Not directed at you, but at management if that's really what they believe

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
He was more of a solution than Staal. He actually fills, you know, a need. A right handed sniper that can play on the PP and in the top 6. I'd argue we could've given up much less to get him from VAN than what we gave up for Staal. Much less risk there if he doesn't resign or doesn't perform.

So many posters here act like everything happens in a vacuum. Would you have wanted them to trade Skjei and a 1st for Hamhuis? Thats what the price would have been. VAN wanted a base deal of Dano + 1st from Chicago for Hamhuis. Do you think Justin Schultz is actually going to help Pittsburgh? He sucks. Or how about the package that Dallas gave up for Russell? Jokipakka + prospect + Conditional 2nd (that becomes a 1st if they make it to the conference finals)?

I mean, there really wasn't much out there. I think its a bad recipe for success when you have an average goaltender between the pipes. We don't. At 34 years old our goalie is still top 3 in the NHL and is a surefire HHOFer. It isn't a bad play to acquire a forward that can really contribute and hope that scoring a lot of goals as well as your star goaltender stopping pucks can lead you to a cup. If you can't fix the defense then what other option are you left with? Be sellers when you are second in the conference? :laugh:

Girardi has been better as of late. Hell, he is playing his best hockey of the year. McDonagh appears to be back to good form. Klein has been beasting it. So we have to worry about Boyle and Staal. Me thinks (just a guess) his play improves slightly with his brother on the team. Things could be so much worse. Do I love the defense? Nope. Do I like it? Meh. Do I like this team and their chances after acquiring Eric Staal more than I did before that acquisition? Abso*******lutely.

Yeah. We can get eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round due to a bad bounce or bad calls. That happens. So to say cup or bust is absolutely ridiculous when ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs. We are going for it this year. We have as good of a chance as anyone. Eric Staal is going to be huge for us.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Eric Staal is a really good hockey player, it's deceiving to look at his raw point totals for this year. I was against trading for him but I thought he was going to cost more than that. He also looks way worse now because of that 300 point season he had back when they were giving out powerplays like candy.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Dream scenario:
Marc Staals games is raised now playing with his bro
Rangers win the cup
Cant resign Eric for cap reasons
Marc staal agrees to wave NTC and is moved with no salary retention
Yandle is resigned

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO

No doubt a righty shot would have helped, but E.Staal is a much better player than Vrbata is or ever was. Vrbata is also older. E.Staal has twice as many playoff points than Vrbata does. I'm sorry but I'd take the better talent and upside everyday above a need. I don't even see Vrbata as a top 6 player on this team before they added Staal.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eric Staal is a really good hockey player, it's deceiving to look at his raw point totals for this year. I was against trading for him but I thought he was going to cost more than that. He also looks way worse now because of that 300 point season he had back when they were giving out powerplays like candy.

How much did you think he'd cost? I think we gave up about as much as you possibly could.

nyenavizhumods*

Can you put a poll in this thread so that I can vote how much I hate this trade and the organization in general? Thank you.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Dream scenario:
Marc Staals games is raised now playing with his bro
Rangers win the cup
Cant resign Eric for cap reasons
Marc staal agrees to wave NTC and is moved with no salary retention
Yandle is resigned
If we win the cup, i'd be ok with bundling the rights to E.Staal and M.Staal back to Carolina and grab their stock pile of futures and picks. Reunite the Staals.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
If we win the cup, i'd be ok with bundling the rights to E.Staal and M.Staal back to Carolina and grab their stock pile of futures and picks. Reunite the Staals.

Oh absolutely. I just dont want the staals reunited on our team. Hypothetically, both our staals play great down the stretch, knowing our organization we make a move this summer to bring in jordan while moving out nash or somebody. You never know

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Like/love the move. Depth, depth, depth. That's what put the 2014 edition in the Final and what killed us last year. You have to be able to overwhelm a good opponent. Too bad we ran into a buzzsaw in the Kings because that team was easily good enough to win it and arguably should have.

JT - Brass- Zucc
Staal - Step - Nash
Lindberg/Kreids - Hayes - Stalberg/Fast
Kreids/Lindberg - Moore - Fast/Stalberg

Take 20 games to figure out what works, then go to battle.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
So many posters here act like everything happens in a vacuum. Would you have wanted them to trade Skjei and a 1st for Hamhuis? Thats what the price would have been. VAN wanted a base deal of Dano + 1st from Chicago for Hamhuis. Do you think Justin Schultz is actually going to help Pittsburgh? He sucks. Or how about the package that Dallas gave up for Russell? Jokipakka + prospect + Conditional 2nd (that becomes a 1st if they make it to the conference finals)?

I mean, there really wasn't much out there. I think its a bad recipe for success when you have an average goaltender between the pipes. We don't. At 34 years old our goalie is still top 3 in the NHL and is a surefire HHOFer. It isn't a bad play to acquire a forward that can really contribute and hope that scoring a lot of goals as well as your star goaltender stopping pucks can lead you to a cup. If you can't fix the defense then what other option are you left with? Be sellers when you are second in the conference? :laugh:

Girardi has been better as of late. Hell, he is playing his best hockey of the year. McDonagh appears to be back to good form. Klein has been beasting it. So we have to worry about Boyle and Staal. Me thinks (just a guess) his play improves slightly with his brother on the team. Things could be so much worse. Do I love the defense? Nope. Do I like it? Meh. Do I like this team and their chances after acquiring Eric Staal more than I did before that acquisition? Abso*******lutely.

Yeah. We can get eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round due to a bad bounce or bad calls. That happens. So to say cup or bust is absolutely ridiculous when ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs. We are going for it this year. We have as good of a chance as anyone. Eric Staal is going to be huge for us.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about here. I never once mentioned Hamhius, Skjei, or any of those players.

All I'm saying is that this team has several needs that should have gotten addressed. We failed to address those needs, IMO , and we will be bounced out of the playoffs because of it. Our bottom 6 has taken a hit in the past few years. We've lost guys like Hagelin, Dorsett, Boyle. Guys that in the past were top notch defensive forwards and gave us a quality bottom 6.

There's no doubt Staal makes us a better team. Of course he does. He's not the piece we needed though. That's my take on it. With that being said I hope he lights it up for us heading into the playoffs. I just don't see enough balance and quality in the bottom 6 to compete with the likes of CHI, LA, & WSH

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
With salary retention I thought it would be like 1st + Skjei or something.

You could argue it was just as much.

2 2nd's is around equal to a first, especially when its a late 1st.

Corey Pronman liked Saarela more than any other of our prospects besides Buch

I thought that there were such different values attached to players at this deadline. Hudler went for basically nothing, Ladd went for a very fair price, Staal and Boedker went for a lot, strange trade market this year I thought.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Yes, because the guy we acquired has been lighting up the league this year :laugh:

If we're going to acquire an under-performing player I would've rather gotten someone that at least fills a need. Once Nash returns Staal is a redundant piece on this team. How many left-handed power forwards with a mediocre shot do we need? At least with Vrbata there's a chance to re-sign him and mitigate the loss of the picks with future production. I don't see any possible way we can re-sign Staal without dismantling other pieces of this team.

To me, if you're bringing him in to put him on the wing the trade makes absolutely no sense. If you're bringing him in as a C, where does he slot in? Which one of Stepan/Brassard are you moving to put Staal in the top 6 as a C?

I have no problem acquiring rentals. In fact I think it's the right move given the window we're in right now. We've proven we can mitigate the loss of picks with UFA's out of the NCAA (Talbot, Hayes, etc) and get value outside of the draft. But the fit has to be right. It feels to me like they went out and got a big name just for the sake of making a splash. I don't see the fit

Staal has produced in the playoffs. How does that make him redundant when Nash returns?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
It doesn't matter how well Staal plays, since the Rangers aren't going anywhere with their defense core. Throw away yet more draft picks and prospects for a second round exit (if they even make it that far). Caps are just going to run roughshod over Old Man River, Marky Marc, and Pirate Cap'n Dan.

I'm going to second this.

The defense really threw us under the bus the last few times our top 6 disappeared.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
The ideal deadline for me would've been something along the lines of 4th+ 6th to VAN for Vrbata then Cond. 3rd to BUF for McGinn.

Miller-Brassard-Zucc
Kreider-Stepan-Vrbata
McGinn-Hayes-Stalberg
Lindberg-Moore-Fast

with Nash back:

Miller-Brassard-Zucc
Nash-Stepan-Vrbata
Kreider-Hayes-Stalberg/Lindberg
McGinn-Moore-Fast

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
See, that is the thing. Maybe his PPG seasons are behind him but I think a change of scenery will give him the motivation he has been lacking and will really ramp up the offensive production to show what he is still capable of.

I don't get people. Even if his MVP days are behind him, he would still have been a 40-50 point player had he stayed with the Canes who are terrible. Do people think that he's going to become a 20-30 point player on the Rangers? 4 real y'all!

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Staal has produced in the playoffs. How does that make him redundant when Nash returns?

Produced in the playoffs how many years ago?

He's redundant because he's yet another left handed power forward with an average shot that has to be in or around the crease to score.

Kreider, Nash, Staal and to an extent Hayes are all players of the same ilk. Obviously Staal and Nash are better finishers, but we have 4 guys on this team that want to play the same way.

We need a finishing, right handed shot that can beat a goalie off the rush or off a one timer on the PP.

Chicago: Seabrook, Panarin
Washington: Ovechkin, Carlson
Dallas: Sharp, Spezza, Seguin
LA: Voynov, when they were winning cups

This team needs to throw the kitchen sink at Steven Stamkos on July 1. I don't care who you have to trade to make room that isn't named Lundqvist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad