Player Discussion Eric Staal Part II

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Not crazy about this deal for the future, but for now it's starting to grow on me. We have a legit set of forwards even with Glass in the lineup. Every line should be rolling, especially when Nash comes back. If we can just get the team defense to have better positioning we can go up against anyone in the East IMO.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
no. 12 makes our forwards a deep any 1-12 once nash returns. on paper were scary good. but, games arent played on paper.

defensively, i think were better than washington and probably tampa too. i think our forwards are as good as those 2 as well. i think when playing best, our goalie is better.

special teams is where we are vulnerable. and that is where we can be beaten

and our defensive possession metrics are piss poor. that scares me. slow footed dmen dont prosper in todays nhl.

i dont like our chances against any of the big 3 out west. they all scare me.

were better today than we were last week.

go win some games

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
no. 12 makes our forwards a deep any 1-12 once nash returns. on paper were scary good. but, games arent played on paper.

defensively, i think were better than washington and probably tampa too. i think our forwards are as good as those 2 as well. i think when playing best, our goalie is better.

special teams is where we are vulnerable. and that is where we can be beaten

and our defensive possession metrics are piss poor. that scares me. slow footed dmen dont prosper in todays nhl.

i dont like our chances against any of the big 3 out west. they all scare me.

were better today than we were last week.

go win some games

I do think the PK will be improved big time with E. Staal, and Nash eventually coming back.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Always can count on the illogical negativity lmao.

Though I can't disagree that this was an odd deal that wasn't filling the need we were expecting, that doesn't make it a bad deal. In fact, from a purely objective and non-kneejerk standpoint, this was actually a really good deal with huge potential upside. We gave up little when it comes down to it for somebody with a proven record and that provides additional leadership to a young locker room.

Though I'm not sure what the lines are gonna be, this still has the potential to get things clicking in the direction we need and help notch that extra goal or two we so desperately need sometimes. He's definitely not gonna bring his given line down, that's for sure. So at worst it's a wash. But there's also that potential there that it's a game changer for us.

We'll have to see which way it goes. But there's almost zero downside, we lost very little in the deal, and there's tons of potential there.

So as much as I'm not a fan of Eric Staal as a person, especially after his bs hit on Marc a few years back, I still can't say anything negative about this deal, because objectively speaking, there's very little negativity that I'd find to actually be rational.

Time will tell, but I have a feeling many in this thread are going to be forcefed their words back to them before long lol. Let's hope that's the case!

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Staal actually worsens the quality of the bottom 6. Because acquiring him without giving up a roster player means that AV now kicks out Hrivik to create a spot for Staal, while keeping in Tanner Glass. I'd love to be wrong on this one but we all know it's happening. Hrivik is easily NHL ready and has been very impressive in his short stint. He reminds me of a younger version of Dominic Moore.. hangs on to the puck, can skate, and can make smart plays with the puck. But Glass is better :shakehead

One of the single most ridiculous things I've read on these forums. If E. Staal is in the bottom 6, there is no way it is worse than it was before. It slots people down a spot on the depth chart. Even if you're adding Glass back in, the guys around Glass are an upgrade... Holy ****.

See, that is the thing. Maybe his PPG seasons are behind him but I think a change of scenery will give him the motivation he has been lacking and will really ramp up the offensive production to show what he is still capable of.

The other thing I think I've only seen mentioned once or twice, but is absolutely going to factor in: If he is centering the "3rd line"... E. Staal will not be the guy here. He will not be on the first line. He will not be targeted to shut down by other teams in the same way as he was on Carolina. He will face easier competition. All of that alone should (we'll see if it does) benefit him.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
There's changes of scenery, but then there's changes of scenery. This is comfortably the latter. Eric goes from a team that hasn't seen the playoffs in 6 years, in a market that easily forgets it has a hockey team, with no pressure to do much of any damage; to a large hockey market, loaded with talent and expectations.

Are you no longer of the opinion that this team should be blown up / is a bad hockey team?

Make up your mind? Am I missing something? Is this the twilight zone?

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
One of the single most ridiculous things I've read on these forums. If E. Staal is in the bottom 6, there is no way it is worse than it was before. It slots people down a spot on the depth chart. Even if you're adding Glass back in, the guys around Glass are an upgrade... Holy ****.

The other thing I think I've only seen mentioned once or twice, but is absolutely going to factor in: If he is centering the "3rd line"... E. Staal will not be the guy here. He will not be on the first line. He will not be targeted to shut down by other teams in the same way as he was on Carolina. He will face easier competition. All of that alone should (we'll see if it does) benefit him.

See: Dylan McIlrath on 4th line

Also, the context of the post, if you had paid attention, was that E. Staal was going to be in the top 6. Not the bottom 6. Reading comprehension goes a long way

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012

Also, the context of the post, if you had paid attention, was that E. Staal was going to be in the top 6. Not the bottom 6. Reading comprehension goes a long way

Yes, reading comprehension does go a long way. Slotting him anywhere in the lineup pushes guys down the depth chart. It applies whether you're stacking the first line, or putting him on the "3rd line." And it doesn't change how ridiculous of a post it was. Adding a player who is vastly superior to either Glass or Hrivik somehow makes the bottom 6 worse. HFLogic.

And D.Mac is playing on the 4th line because Fast is out. It literally has nothing to do with E.Staal. Wow.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Staal is playing on the 3rd line, FWIW, and two starters (Fast & Nash) are injured.

No spot for Hrivik with or without Glass.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Yes, reading comprehension does go a long way. Slotting him anywhere in the lineup pushes guys down the depth chart. It applies whether you're stacking the first line, or putting him on the "3rd line." And it doesn't change how ridiculous of a post it was. Adding a player who is vastly superior to either Glass or Hrivik somehow makes the bottom 6 worse. HFLogic.

And D.Mac is playing on the 4th line because Fast is out. It literally has nothing to do with E.Staal. Wow.

You're assuming that top 6 players are better defensively than bottom 6 players. Sometimes that's the case, but not always. You can't just "slot down" guys from the top 6 into the bottom 6 and have them succeed in a shutdown role.

"Wow! Kreiders on our 3rd line! We're such a deep team!"

Hockey doesn't work that way. You're 3rd and 4th lines typically shut down the oppositions top lines. I'd rather have Hrivik in the bottom 6 than Glass. He's a better player all around. Offensively, defensively, hockey IQ. There's no denying that. Staal in the lineup pushes Hrivik out. This on a team that has no problem scoring but who's defense and PK has been their achilles heel. But since you love to add insults to all your posts, I wouldn't expect someone who obviously never played more hockey than EA Sports NHL 16 to understand what I'm referring to.

In any event, to draw a conclusion that this club is somehow worse with Eric Staal in the lineup is preposterous.

I never said the club overall is worse with Staal in the lineup. I said the bottom 6 is worse. That mostly has to do with AV and not Staal. But we all knew Hrivik would get pushed out of the lineup with Staal in, and that's exactly what happened.

I know it was his first game but Staal was pretty brutal tonight outside of some faceoff wins. Had a shift where he limp dicked the puck out of the zone about 3 times. A puck that I could've cleared.

I'm sure he'll be good for us down the stretch, but again I don't think he was the correct piece to go after

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The ideal deadline for me would've been something along the lines of 4th+ 6th to VAN for Vrbata then Cond. 3rd to BUF for McGinn.

Miller-Brassard-Zucc
Kreider-Stepan-Vrbata
McGinn-Hayes-Stalberg
Lindberg-Moore-Fast

with Nash back:

Miller-Brassard-Zucc
Nash-Stepan-Vrbata
Kreider-Hayes-Stalberg/Lindberg
McGinn-Moore-Fast

So let's recap, you bash this trade for:

Faceoff reasons (which Staal helps a billion times more than your group listed above)

PK (which you admittedly knew nothing about with Staal)

Powerplay (let's call this a wash just for the hell of it)

and above all you bash it for bottom 6 reasons. However, your bs for that is that Glass gets more minutes because of AV, yet you don't even have him in your own projected lineup using your own bs mentality? Okay.

Adios.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Wondering when the last time was E Staal played a regular season game in front of that many home fans

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
You're assuming that top 6 players are better defensively than bottom 6 players. Sometimes that's the case, but not always. You can't just "slot down" guys from the top 6 into the bottom 6 and have them succeed in a shutdown role.

"Wow! Kreiders on our 3rd line! We're such a deep team!"

Hockey doesn't work that way. You're 3rd and 4th lines typically shut down the oppositions top lines. I'd rather have Hrivik in the bottom 6 than Glass. He's a better player all around. Offensively, defensively, hockey IQ. There's no denying that. Staal in the lineup pushes Hrivik out. This on a team that has no problem scoring but who's defense and PK has been their achilles heel. But since you love to add insults to all your posts, I wouldn't expect someone who obviously never played more hockey than EA Sports NHL 16 to understand what I'm referring to.

I never said the club overall is worse with Staal in the lineup. I said the bottom 6 is worse. That mostly has to do with AV and not Staal. But we all knew Hrivik would get pushed out of the lineup with Staal in, and that's exactly what happened.

I know it was his first game but Staal was pretty brutal tonight outside of some faceoff wins. Had a shift where he limp dicked the puck out of the zone about 3 times. A puck that I could've cleared.

I'm sure he'll be good for us down the stretch, but again I don't think he was the correct piece to go after
Who in our bottom-6 is good defensively right now? A line with Tanner Glass on it isn't shutting down a high school team, and the Hayes line is not good defensively at all. The Rangers haven't had a 3rd line checking line under AV, and I can't remember a decent one since 2011-12.

The 4th line in 2013-14 was fantastic but that ship has sailed, and AV has used purely offensive 3rd lines every year he's been a coach here.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I would have rather traded away just 1 second round pick(or 3rd?) for Vrbata than trade away our 2nd best offensive prospect for Staal...and two additional 2nd rounders.

Just keep burning away the future. Going to be a rough few years in 5-6 years, especially when Lundqvist is on the decline...

Best part is...Vrbata has more goals than Staal on the season :laugh:

member 116805

Didn't think that was a bad debut at all. This system seems to take new players some time to learn. Could have been worse!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad