Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Anyone have experience with Alkali RPD Comp gloves? Opinions would be appreciated.

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hey Guys,

Looking for any feedback on the CCM 28K/30K KFS gloves. Not finding any decent reviews online - anything is appreciated. Thanks!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Same gloves essentially as the Reebok versions. Look for reviews on those.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It'll come...

Silly to think that they don't 'care'. The Nexus family is their smallest of the 3.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Would a Large Helmet be ok for my dome? I take a 7 3/4 with fitted hats so I'm pretty worried about spending 30$ on a helmet that's gonna squeeze me.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Would a Large Helmet be ok for my dome? I take a 7 3/4 with fitted hats so I'm pretty worried about spending 30$ on a helmet that's gonna squeeze me.

Bauer Helmet size chart:

Bauer-Hockey-Helmet-Sizing-Chart.jpg

7 3/4 hat size is 24 1/4" circumference.

Also, there's always the sound advice of going to the store and trying them on.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Bauer Helmet size chart:

http://sizing.hockeygiant.com/Bauer/protective/Bauer-Hockey-Helmet-Sizing-Chart[/IMG

7 3/4 hat size is 24 1/4" circumference.

Also, there's always the sound advice of going to the store and trying them on.[/QUOTE]

My one issue is being in Florida and not really having an equipment store nearby, most of my stuff is either online or family bought in Ontario.

Last edited by a moderator:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Now that you've found your helmet size range, you've also got to be prepared to try on multiple helmets as each and every one of those Bauer helmets fits differently from each other. Same story when moving between brands.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Just to reiterate AIREAYE point, its pretty important to try on the helmet in store before you buy one. there is a really big difference between brands for sizing and how they fit. for example, some of the easton helmets i find are really narrow for my head.

my advice:

try it on before you buy it for something as critical as a helmet.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
In addition to waist sizes being different, does each size have different size of leg opening? What about inseam?
Which pants are you referring to?

I'm pretty sure both get larger as you go up, but I just want to know what your real problem is.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
Which pants are you referring to?

I'm pretty sure both get larger as you go up, but I just want to know what your real problem is.

I'm short and fat. Looking to upgrade my supreme one 40's after two years of playing where I got a skate cut on the thigh board that went through the nylon, outer padding, scraped the plastic insert. Also managed to pop out one of the suspender buttons.

They fit great in a size small. Lots of room for my legs and they are easy to pull up with my gear on. Length of the inseam seems great, too. Overall easy to skate in them.

Their small goes from 30 to 34. Most other brands start at medium for that waist size. And for that I'm worried that inseam would go too low.

Tried another brands small at a max 34 waist and it was too tight. Not just in waist but there wasn't a lot of room for my legs to move around.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Ok,a lot of pants have zippers in the legs to open then up so no worries there.

Why not target the current equivalent of those pants, the Nexus 400s? Or upgrade to the 600/800

1st time coach

Aug 4, 2015
I have coached and played many sports but never Ice Hockey. I have two boys who will be joining their first league this fall. After talking to the league coordinator about all the help USA Hockey provides, I am confident that I am capable of coaching a team. I have gloves and stick that I got for free. I still need a helmet and skates, but I think I know what to choose for those. I'm curious what other equipment coaches usually wear? I don't remember seeing a coach in full gear before.

Thanks in advance.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Some coaches opt to wear some sort of shin protector (not necessarily hockey shin pads...too bulky), more like soccer shin pads.

1st time coach

Aug 4, 2015
Some coaches opt to wear some sort of shin protector (not necessarily hockey shin pads...too bulky), more like soccer shin pads.

I see referee shins for sale. Is that more like what you are thinking? I do have soccer shin guards.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well, honestly, it's up to you, but the protection would only be needed for errant pucks/sticks. Your call.

RICK NASHTY

May 5, 2015
Does anyone know of any pair sturdy elbow pads? I cant do another season of them slipping off my arm and having to tape them to stay in place.

Any suggestions would be great although I typically prefer using Bauer equipment.

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
got some warrior franchise 2.0 gloves for 75$ the original price was 175$. pretty good deal.
got a bauer supreme one.6 for 50$ as well and nexus 6000 shinpads for 80$

Last edited:

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I've been rocking some low line Bauer shin pads for a couple seasons but I don't think they're even the right fit. How do I know if my pads are too big/small?

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
I've been rocking some low line Bauer shin pads for a couple seasons but I don't think they're even the right fit. How do I know if my pads are too big/small?

With your knee centered in the cap of the shin guards the bottom of the pads should come to just over the top of your skates if you wear the shin guards inside the tongues. If you wear the shin guards over the tongues then you can go a bit longer and the shin guards can slightly overlap with the top of the boot.

If there's a gap of an inch or more between the end of your pads and the top of the boots then you should be wearing a larger shin pad. On the other hand, if the pads are so long that they're being pushed out of place by your foot when you're skating (your knee will no longer be centered in the pad) then they're too long.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Does anyone know of any pair sturdy elbow pads? I cant do another season of them slipping off my arm and having to tape them to stay in place.

Any suggestions would be great although I typically prefer using Bauer equipment.
Well, it's rather pointless to ask that because it all comes down to how well the elbow pad fits your forearm and the only way to tell is to try on a few. It shouldn't matter what brand you use because quality is pretty much the same across the board.

althoma gave you a great explanation and it's best to try with your skates.

In terms of width, that really is determined by your leg shape and how wide/deep your calves are.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Thanks guys. I think they're too big because they constantly get pushed up when I skate. When I got fitted at my local store I don't think the kid working there knew what he was doing. My breezers and shins are too big and my elbows are too small

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad