Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
So a few days ago I picked up CCM RBZ 150 shin guards in store at Total Hockey for $80 on clearance. There not on clearance online for some reason and that was the only model I noticed that was. Anyway is the rest of the CCM RBZ line about to go on clearance? I took an elbow to the ribs at the beginning of the season and the shoulder pads I had didn't offer much protection so I was thinking about picking up the matching RBZ 150 shoulder pads and maybe even the pants and elbow pads to if I could get them on clearance.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'm not sure if they are or not, but the availability in stores is pretty low for a lot of models.

Picked up a UA compression jock and some EDGE style socks. Not sure if I'll keep them or not. I like/want lighter weight socks but they are pretty massive for my 5'7 frame.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
Well, last night I ordered the RBZ 150 shoulder pads and hockey pants to go with my RBZ 150 shin guards. Not sure if I want the elbow pads or not. I'll probably just try to get one of my brothers or somebody to buy my other stuff from me for cheap. I want them to start playing ice hockey with me sometimes. Now all they would need is skates, helmet, and elbow pads. I still might get those matching elbow pads of my other new stuff though. I tried the shoulder pads on last time I went to Total Hockey so I know they will fit. Hopefully the pants fit good or I could take those back and exchange them. I think they will fit good though.

DefMars

May 22, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a pair of shoulders and elbow pads. They are the only pieces of gear I still do not have. I've been looking online at a lot of clearance sections and some local retailers and I've found the online clearances to be the best deals. Is there any recommendations for the best protection and mobility for shoulders/elbows under $50?

I've gathered these as potential buys for shoulders:

Nexus 400
CCM U+07
Mako m3
Supreme one.4
Graf G15 or G45
Reebok XTK
Reebok 12k or 14k

In my amateur opinion i'd go for the Graf G45s, or the one.4's. But i'd like to hear some other thoughts on shoulders and maybe even hear about other choices that I could go with. I don't play very competitive hockey but i'd like my gear to be able to handle competitive hockey if i were to start playing in higher levels.

Edit: Nvm can't get the G45's in my size. Still interested in hearing what models I should go for.

Last edited:

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
I like my Bauer Supreme One .6 shoulder pads I have. I ended up returning the CCM RBZ 150s I just got to replace them since they where to bulky. Honestly I'd get something slimmer. A couple guys where I play don't even wear shoulder pads and they just wear one of those padded shirt things since it's a non checking league.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a pair of shoulders and elbow pads. They are the only pieces of gear I still do not have. I've been looking online at a lot of clearance sections and some local retailers and I've found the online clearances to be the best deals. Is there any recommendations for the best protection and mobility for shoulders/elbows under $50?

I've gathered these as potential buys for shoulders:

Nexus 400
CCM U+07
Mako m3
Supreme one.4
Graf G15 or G45
Reebok XTK
Reebok 12k or 14k

In my amateur opinion i'd go for the Graf G45s, or the one.4's. But i'd like to hear some other thoughts on shoulders and maybe even hear about other choices that I could go with. I don't play very competitive hockey but i'd like my gear to be able to handle competitive hockey if i were to start playing in higher levels.

Edit: Nvm can't get the G45's in my size. Still interested in hearing what models I should go for.

Is there any way to try them on? They each fit a little differently, particularly the elbows.

If not, then I think a good mid or low mid option in elbows that tend to fit more people would be the Reebok models, ideally the 14K for what you're looking for. If you think you're on the skinnier side, look at the CCM U+ or RBZ stuff. The Easton option and the One.4 aren't bad options either. If you're a little bulkier in the arm, I would look at the Nexus or Supreme option.

For shoulders, none are particularly protective. Follow my guidelines for your body proportions as in the elbows above.

DefMars

May 22, 2011
Is there any way to try them on? They each fit a little differently, particularly the elbows.

If not, then I think a good mid or low mid option in elbows that tend to fit more people would be the Reebok models, ideally the 14K for what you're looking for. If you think you're on the skinnier side, look at the CCM U+ or RBZ stuff. The Easton option and the One.4 aren't bad options either. If you're a little bulkier in the arm, I would look at the Nexus or Supreme option.

For shoulders, none are particularly protective. Follow my guidelines for your body proportions as in the elbows above.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be sure to head to one of the retail stores around me and try some of the stuff on before I make a decision.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
Dang I was looking to maybe get new gloves for back ups or just switch out sometimes with the black Friday sales. And the CCM ultra tacks and the CCM 4 roll II gloves I like are excluded from discounts. Anybody know any workarounds or somewhere there on sale for less then msrp?

I was hoping to get them with hockey monkeys 25% off.

Last edited:

RICK NASHTY

May 5, 2015
Hey guys looking to buy some new shins for the upcoming Black-Friday. I blocked a shot and it shattered my left Bauer Supreme 6.0

I currently am deciding between the classic Bauer vs CCM Issue

I am looking for a pad that really stays in place while also providing great protection and comfort.

Leading towards the nexus, anyone have any experience or input with either?

http://www.purehockey.com/bauer-nexus-pro-ii-senior-shin-guards-2014-17

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hoc...sr.html#_ga=1.223269147.1478846572.1445814971

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Hey guys looking to buy some new shins for the upcoming Black-Friday. I blocked a shot and it shattered my left Bauer Supreme 6.0

I currently am deciding between the classic Bauer vs CCM Issue

I am looking for a pad that really stays in place while also providing great protection and comfort.

Leading towards the nexus, anyone have any experience or input with either?

http://www.purehockey.com/bauer-nexus-pro-ii-senior-shin-guards-2014-17

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hoc...sr.html#_ga=1.223269147.1478846572.1445814971

I'm a big fan of Nexus and wear Nexus shoulders, elbows, gloves pants and shins. I'm a bigger guy, drawn to the selling point of being a classic or bigger fit, but gotta confess I haven't really tried anything else. The shins though I find pretty good, nice and secure and stopped plenty of pucks. I don't wear sock tape and have no problems with them moving around or shifting.

RICK NASHTY

May 5, 2015
I'm a big fan of Nexus and wear Nexus shoulders, elbows, gloves pants and shins. I'm a bigger guy, drawn to the selling point of being a classic or bigger fit, but gotta confess I haven't really tried anything else. The shins though I find pretty good, nice and secure and stopped plenty of pucks. I don't wear sock tape and have no problems with them moving around or shifting.

Thats what a lot of my friends were saying that they love the nexus shin pads. I have always had issues with straps on my pads be it my easton's from a kid or the supremes I just broke.

The only thing is Im a smaller player (5'8 165) so Im worried the nexus being a little too bulky.

Thanks for the advice bud,

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
That's tough, as they fit pretty differently form each other. The Nexus as you know is a wider and more voluminous fit. The CCM RBZs are slimmer and shallower. If you really can't try them on, I'd say consider how 'thick' your legs and calf muscles are.

RICK NASHTY

May 5, 2015
That's tough, as they fit pretty differently form each other. The Nexus as you know is a wider and more voluminous fit. The CCM RBZs are slimmer and shallower. If you really can't try them on, I'd say consider how 'thick' your legs and calf muscles are.

Yeah like I said Im 5'8 so Im smaller, so I decided to go with the Rbz's. Those straps look very comfortable and secure so Im really looking forward to that. :yo:

RICK NASHTY

May 5, 2015
Dang I was looking to maybe get new gloves for back ups or just switch out sometimes with the black Friday sales. And the CCM ultra tacks and the CCM 4 roll II gloves I like are excluded from discounts. Anybody know any workarounds or somewhere there on sale for less then msrp?

I was hoping to get them with hockey monkeys 25% off.

Just talk to customer service pure hockey offered me an 25% off on an item that was excluded from the discount that I just had to email customer service. Just ask the reps they are generally really helpful.

Mizzou Tiger

Dec 18, 2015
Hey everybody, I am just getting back into hockey after not playing for 10 years. I need recomendations for pants for a shorter heavier guy. I'm 5'8" and a little over 220. Not really looking to break the bank and the closest legitimate hockey store is over 2 hours away. I saw a pair of Easton Stealth 75(?) on clearance in XL, are those going to be too long even though the waist size would be correct?

Thanks in advance

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hey everybody, I am just getting back into hockey after not playing for 10 years. I need recomendations for pants for a shorter heavier guy. I'm 5'8" and a little over 220. Not really looking to break the bank and the closest legitimate hockey store is over 2 hours away. I saw a pair of Easton Stealth 75(?) on clearance in XL, are those going to be too long even though the waist size would be correct?

Thanks in advance

Tough situation. Eastons tend to fit a little long so I would avoid them.

I would suggest first seeing if an online retailer would allow you to return items that don't fit with little hassle, so you could do that if you order something and it doesn't work.

After, I suggest looking at the CCM RBZ or CCM U+ family of pants. There aren't a lot out there for shorter and wider fits.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
One month in with the Warrior Qr1 glove. So far so good! Great feel, and they are very lightweight. I was skeptical about the technology that supposedly eliminated odor. But after one month they are still smelling pretty good. More than I can say about any other glove I've owned.

RockTheRed8

Mar 4, 2016
Virginia
I've been gradually upgrading my equipment where necessary, but have a question on shoulder pads. The shoulder pads I have right now are the CCM RBZ 90(http://www.totalhockey.com/product/RBZ_90_Shoulder_Pads/itm/15639-41/?mtx_id=0). A few games ago I had a guy butt end me in the ribs, kinda up under my armpit where it was completely unpadded because the padding doesn't come up that high. Tonight I took a puck to bicep towards the inside and that bruise keeps spreading so much I'm wondering if my whole damn arm is gonna end up purple:laugh:

I was thinking some more expensive shoulder pads will probably cover more area so that they would be something I might want to look in to soon, but when I went to look I don't know if they really look like they cover much, if any, more in those areas judging from the pictures. A lot of them actually look like they'd cover less. There are a few that look like they might cover a little more(like maybe the Bauer Vapor X100), but I'm not sure. Do you think it'd be worth upgrading my shoulder pads and that it would help for things like that, or would it not be worth it and those are areas that are just gonna suck to get hit in regardless?

Thanks guys, and sorry if I've been a little annoying with so many questions lately. This board has been a huge help as I look to upgrade some things without having a hockey shop nearby.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
CCM shoulder pads generally aren't as protective as Bauer/Easton in the chest area away from the spine/sternum guards. The Bauer Vapor line would be a good starting point, as they're generally lower profile like your RBZ 90s.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
I wear CCM Crazy Lights and Id agree. The padding on the sides of the spine/sternum guards are pretty flimsy and dont do much except add a layer of padding. The U foam is great but one layer isnt going to do much.

I took a puck that was flipped up in the air to the nipple and it stung a bit. It stung for a couple of minutes then it subsided .

The CCM U+ CLs are great and i wouldnt really want to wear anything else. I think if its good enough for the pros, its good enough for beer league. haha plus the fact they dont take in sweat, smell, and remain light and are still pretty protective is hard to beat.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
Are small helmets generally sized for younger teens/intermediate age? x-small for youth? I'm gonna be looking for helmets over the next month.

vyse

Mar 14, 2016
los angeles
hey I have a question about glove size before I decide to make a return or keep them, my measurement size is 12.5", senior small (13") feels a little too big like i have alot of room to shake my hand around inside and the gloves fall off if i leave my hand open and they just look really big compared to my size (im 5'7" and 21 yrs old) and theres a bit of a gap between the end of my fingers and the end of the finger slot (idk what its called), but junior large (12") is a little too tight and my fingertips are hitting the end and feel a bit constricting (although ive only worn brand new 12" gloves i haven't tried broken in ones, what size should i stick with? I feel like the gap between junior large and senior small is a big difference

currently been using 13" easton stealth 75s gloves for about a year and some bauer vapor x80s i ordered which are 12" just came in the mail so i'm not sure if i should try breaking them in or if it will remain feeling a little too tight/small. both the jr large and sr small cover up any gap between the cuff and elbow pad

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
hey I have a question about glove size before I decide to make a return or keep them, my measurement size is 12.5", senior small (13") feels a little too big like i have alot of room to shake my hand around inside and the gloves fall off if i leave my hand open and they just look really big compared to my size (im 5'7" and 21 yrs old) and theres a bit of a gap between the end of my fingers and the end of the finger slot (idk what its called), but junior large (12") is a little too tight and my fingertips are hitting the end and feel a bit constricting (although ive only worn brand new 12" gloves i haven't tried broken in ones, what size should i stick with? I feel like the gap between junior large and senior small is a big difference

currently been using 13" easton stealth 75s gloves for about a year and some bauer vapor x80s i ordered which are 12" just came in the mail so i'm not sure if i should try breaking them in or if it will remain feeling a little too tight/small. both the jr large and sr small cover up any gap between the cuff and elbow pad
Hmm, it's definitely a good thing that the gap is covered. You would ultimately decide based on comfort.

Ideally, you would select a 12" with longer fingers, or a tighter 13". Obviously the best way is to try a bunch of them on, but I'll assume that's not feasible for you.

How do the Vapor X80s feel? Bauer seemed to have made that year's Vapor glove line with longer fingers than before/compared to other gloves, and I probably would've suggested that first in a 12".

The Eagle Talon series also seem to have a slightly longer fingers (example: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/eagle-hockey-gloves-talon-jr.html)

Consider that there are a bunch of options in 12" that feature a wider '4-roll' fit, like the Bauer Nexus family, or Warrior Dynasty, or CCM 4Rolls. Consider that while the finger length may be comparable to other 12"s, the extra width may help; you'll have to be the judge of that.

Not many 13" gloves that fit particularly short/tight. Your Easton Stealth probably would've been in that category actually. I would also consider the Warrior Covert family in that category too.

vyse

Mar 14, 2016
los angeles
Hmm, it's definitely a good thing that the gap is covered. You would ultimately decide based on comfort.

Ideally, you would select a 12" with longer fingers, or a tighter 13". Obviously the best way is to try a bunch of them on, but I'll assume that's not feasible for you.

How do the Vapor X80s feel? Bauer seemed to have made that year's Vapor glove line with longer fingers than before/compared to other gloves, and I probably would've suggested that first in a 12".

The Eagle Talon series also seem to have a slightly longer fingers (example: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/eagle-hockey-gloves-talon-jr.html)

Consider that there are a bunch of options in 12" that feature a wider '4-roll' fit, like the Bauer Nexus family, or Warrior Dynasty, or CCM 4Rolls. Consider that while the finger length may be comparable to other 12"s, the extra width may help; you'll have to be the judge of that.

Not many 13" gloves that fit particularly short/tight. Your Easton Stealth probably would've been in that category actually. I would also consider the Warrior Covert family in that category too.

the 12" x80s feel a bit like it fits TOO perfect on my hand like a regular cloth glove would fit around your hand , the kind that you wear in the cold. my finger tips hit the end and squeezing my twig takes a bit of hand force for the glove to close all the way on it but that could be because its brand new. ideally i like a tapered fit which is why im not a huge fan of 4 rolls. I do recall playing a pickup game one time and forgot my gloves so i used a pair they had at my rink which were ironically a pair of 11" bauer gloves (cant remember if they were vapors or supremes but they definetely werent nexus, more than likely vapors) but they were extremely broken in and they felt pretty comfortable in terms of size and movement which i found REALLY weird being a 12.5" measurement. i dont really feel like my 13" easton gloves are holding me back from anything but would definetely like for it to feel a bit tighter so that maybe twisting my twig when stick handling will be faster/smoother, im mostly being ocd just wanting the perfect glove fit for any possible advantage when stick handling.

long story short not sure if I should return the x80s and exchange them for 13" or try breaking them in and see if they fit better but possibly losing money if they dont.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->