Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

dnmccoy

Nov 18, 2013
Columbus
Hey Aireaye,

Im looking for a pair of gloves to replace my 2nd hand loaner hand me downs. What makes the difference between the $50 pair or the $200 pair? I only play beginner rec league but safety is paramount.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Quality of materials, level of protection, better palm (durability, feel etc.).

dnmccoy

Nov 18, 2013
Columbus
Picked up the Bauer one.8, they were marked down and I liked the fit. Should be better than my hand me down Jofa with the thumbs worn out:yo:

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Anyone know if a Bauer/Itech Concept full shield fit a Mission Intake helmet?

Thanks in advance.

Campoli

Jan 15, 2015
Vaughan, Ontario
So today I picked up a ccm resistance 300 helmet for $100 with a free pair of hockey socks. Deal was off kijiji (like craigslist) and brand new never used in box. Is this a good deal? I am a complkete beginner so is this overdoing it a little? The deal just seemed too good to pass up and I'd rather have a bit better protection on the head, especially considering how often I will be falling lol.

dnmccoy

Nov 18, 2013
Columbus
Hey Aireaye,

Ive got some entry level CCM pants, and somehow my feet got knocked out and I landed straight on my tailbone. It hurt like hell and it seems like there's not much padding back there. If I look at higher level pants does the amount of padding increase?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Of course.

You could also add padding yourself to the butt with some spare foam/plastic and glue/stitching.

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
has anyone had any experiences with gloves bigger than 15''. do NHL players like tyler myers and Zdeno chara have bigger gloves than 15'' ?

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
We've had George Parros's pro stock Montreal Easton gloves in a 15". Says 15" but they were the biggest 15" gloves I've ever seen.

Pros can definitely get adjustments like +1" gloves or longer gussets done up, but I've never seen or heard of any of it being explicitly labeled 16" or whatever.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
I want to thank both Jarrick and Aireaye for all the info in this thread. I used the information i learned here to shop for my equipment.

I am 32 and just now starting to play.

and the equipment i got seems to fit perfectly. I used this guide as to the models i want and fitted and bought all my equipment from a local hockey shop as the prices were comparable to online prices. While i was in the store i went in with all this info so they wouldnt up sell me and make me pay more but i told them my situation and they suggested all the equipment i was looking at. They were awesome in helping me fit my pads and telling me exactly how they should feel.

I ended up somehow with all bauer pads as they fit better and the price was better in somecase (price wasnt my main goal it was fit but thier was a limit on each piece i didnt want to pass). Plus the of the 3 stores i went to the store i ended with i trusted 110% as i could tell they really wanted to educate me rather then upsell me had a sale on Bauer. I got mostly last yrs models new (again there suggestion) rather than this seasons models.

List of equipment this extreme beginner ended up with:
Helmet: Bauer 2100 combo
Pants:Bauer Nexus 600
Shoulders:Bauer Nexus 600
Shins: Bauer Vapor X60
Elbows: Bauer Vapor X60
Skates:Bauer supreme 160
Gloves: Bauer Nexus 400
Stick: Bauer Vapor X800 with 87 flex and a flatter curve (the kane curve)

Again thank you for all the info in this thread it gave me a great starting point so i didnt look like a complete moron when shopping for equipment.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I don't think so. Backpacks can be practical!

But it depends on if you really care what others think about your bag. Which begs the question: Who gives a damn?

Last edited:

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
I don't think so. Backpacks can be practical!

But it depends on if you really care what others think about your bag. Which begs the question: Why gives a damn?

very true.

Im extremely out of shape so thinking that after playing ill be shot and a backpack will be easier to carry

thanks again for everything.

Campoli

Jan 15, 2015
Vaughan, Ontario
Proper Shin Guard Fit

Hey guys, well I have been to a few LHS's and I have been told I am a size 14" AND 15" shin guard lol. I am 5'9 and 170lbs.

I will likely tuck the skate tongue under, but still undecided. How long should the shin guard be for a beginner/recreational player? Some say the bottom should just meet the top of the skate boot where others say it should go below the boot.

The photo below is a Vapor guard in a size 14, which lines up exactly to my mid-knee cap. Does this look like the correct fit or too small?

While on the subject, I am not too crazy about the x60 fit around the calves. Can anyone recommend a narrow/slim guard that doesn't interfere with skating/crossovers, etc?

2m7emj7.jpg

Thanks all!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The rule of thumb that I remember is that you place the knee right in the center of the cap, then check to see where the bottom lines up vs the skate. If they are too big, they might rub against the skate and shift around or be uncomfortable. If too small, there will be a gap.

You have the right idea trying them on with shin guards. Be sure to squat like you are skating even if it looks weird to see how they move around. That 14" looks like a good fit.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Two different sizes for two different ways to wear your shins, be it under or over tongue. I'll let you figure out which is which.

Another shin pad that's narrow/slim would definitely be CCM.

Campoli

Jan 15, 2015
Vaughan, Ontario
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I went back to the LHS to try on a few more brands and sizes. I ended up with the CCM U+ 12's in a 14. SIde by side they are nearly an inch longer than the Vapors, have a narrow profile and very light. I hope they work out.

GetchaGrubbOn

Apr 10, 2014
Albany, NY
Just getting into playing. I'm a bit on the short side (5'7") and am having issues with my pants getting caught on the top edge of my shin guards above the knee. Is this a common issue for shorter players? Is there a pant out there that is a little shorter but won't sacrifice protection?

Campoli

Jan 15, 2015
Vaughan, Ontario
Just getting into playing. I'm a bit on the short side (5'7") and am having issues with my pants getting caught on the top edge of my shin guards above the knee. Is this a common issue for shorter players? Is there a pant out there that is a little shorter but won't sacrifice protection?

What if you go a bit longer? If I'm not mistaken, the pant should ideally sit slightly above the kneecap, thus covering the top part of the shin guard. Anything shorter and you're sacrificing protection.

GetchaGrubbOn

Apr 10, 2014
Albany, NY
What if you go a bit longer? If I'm not mistaken, the pant should ideally sit slightly above the kneecap, thus covering the top part of the shin guard. Anything shorter and you're sacrificing protection.

Hadn't even thought of going in the other direction. Makes sense though. Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad