Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

GetchaGrubbOn

Apr 10, 2014
Albany, NY
w0Q85KY.jpg

gMW8u4u.jpg

I am leaning over at the waist just a little there to get the shots.

FCk5hui.jpg

This is what tends to happen every now and then when I get low.

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
Those pants do look really small. I'm 5'5" and my pants go down to about the bottom of my knee cap. For reference I wear a Sr Med Bauer X60 pant with 12" APX2 shins. However my pants can be a little loose sometimes so they might be too big for me.

wils5150

Mar 19, 2014
massachusetts
I am 5-5 and wear lg nexus 800 pants ( i was 25 pounds heavier when I got them) they are a tad long but it doesnt hinder my mobility or get snaged on my shins

dnmccoy

Nov 18, 2013
Columbus
Im looking at maybe trying my hand in goal. Any ideas for getting equiptment without taking out a second mortgage? Id feel bad if I didnt end up liking it but had a bunch of $$ wrapped up in it

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Im looking at maybe trying my hand in goal. Any ideas for getting equiptment without taking out a second mortgage? Id feel bad if I didnt end up liking it but had a bunch of $$ wrapped up in it

Used

dnmccoy

Nov 18, 2013
Columbus
I figured, but didnt know if there was a retailer that sells it used. Ive been watching ebay but its so hit or miss

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
I figured, but didnt know if there was a retailer that sells it used. Ive been watching ebay but its so hit or miss

Try Play it Again Sports. From my experience they've always had a pretty good selection of hockey gear and most of them have no idea as to what actual value is, so you might be able to snag some quality gear at a discount.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
http://i.imgur.com/w0Q85KY.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gMW8u4u.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FCk5hui.jpg[/IMG
This is what tends to happen every now and then when I get low.[/QUOTE]

^did you somehow end up in a large youth size..because those are short.

Speaking of youth size I am at the magnificant border where my gently used equipment could be either XL youth or small adult but is n't easily resaleable due to being older brands(doesn'tlook old) and I'm not sure what to classify it as besides 'would fit Theo Fleury"

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
http://i.imgur.com/w0Q85KY.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gMW8u4u.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FCk5hui.jpg[/IMG
This is what tends to happen every now and then when I get low.[/QUOTE]

I'm tall (6'7) and had that problem. I had my pants extended (had the longest version to start with) but also started taping the top flap of my shin pads with hockey tape . ever since I started doing that I never had that problem once. you don't notice the tape when you are on the ice. Its just a habit at this point lol so I'd probably do it with new shins even if the pants were not getting stuck

Last edited by a moderator:

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
I'm tall (6'7) and had that problem. I had my pants extended (had the longest version to start with) but also started taping the top flap of my shin pads with hockey tape . ever since I started doing that I never had that problem once. you don't notice the tape when you are on the ice. Its just a habit at this point lol so I'd probably do it with new shins even if the pants were not getting stuck

Do you have a problem with finding gloves at your height ?

Last edited:

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
Should I get new shin pads ?

I think my shin guards are too small, when I play they don't cover my knees to well, and when I fall my knees hurt I'm 5'6 and tuck the shin guard over my tongue. Provided some pics. size 13" currently using bauer one60s

Last edited:

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
How would I go about putting a visor on my helmet? I bought a Tron S30 visor and it came with spacers/screws/etc but no directions...
I think my shin guards are too small, when I play they don't cover my knees to well, and when I fall my knees hurt I'm 5'6 and tuck the shin guard over my tongue. Provided some pics. size 13" currently using bauer one60s

It looks like your knee lines up with the pad and it's still long enough to go over the skate tongue. But if you're getting hurt when you fall then you probably do need to get a longer pad.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Starting up after not playing for 12 years or so I can safely say low end equipment is much better nowadays. So much so that a $50 pair of gloves is as good as $100 gloves were back then.

Especially skates now.

True, because it's all made in China. Equipment is cheap, but North American jobs and the environment suffer. I would pay double if it were made in Canada/US. "Cheap" anything usually has a downside ie poverty level wages or polluting the planet due to no regulations.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
True, because it's all made in China. Equipment is cheap, but North American jobs and the environment suffer. I would pay double if it were made in Canada/US. "Cheap" anything usually has a downside ie poverty level wages or polluting the planet due to no regulations.

You have a very outdated mindset. The North American economy, for the most part, is not manufacturing-driven. Uncle Joe down the road hasn't lost his job because Easton decided to produce sticks in Vietnam, Uncle Joe is in the service economy, doing marketing for Easton. The macro net-benefit of having international trade like we do today has been hugely positive for everyone. You're right about environmental impact though, but that has much more to do with heavy industry in all places, not only abroad. The lower level of regulations in some of these places have been advantageous for the North American companies to relocate production.

I commend you for saying that you'd be willing to pay double for NA made product, but that's probably just sentimental value. It's tough to avoid anything made overseas as we're in 2015 right now, not 1985.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Updated guide to include the latest models, will continue to update as new lines come out.

Please note: Reebok as a brand is virtually gone from hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad