Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Does anyone know of any pair sturdy elbow pads? I cant do another season of them slipping off my arm and having to tape them to stay in place.

Any suggestions would be great although I typically prefer using Bauer equipment.

I use Lacrosse elbows, they have a sleeve and padding on the outside, I love them been using for 2 years, would never go back they are so comfortable.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hey Aireaye, when are the replacements for the current Nexus gloves and pants coming out? They did the skates, shoulders, shins and elbows last year.

I'm not sure at this time, but if I had to guess, I'd say 2016 offseason (May-July) as they're not in the 2015 pipeline.

RICK NASHTY

May 5, 2015
I use Lacrosse elbows, they have a sleeve and padding on the outside, I love them been using for 2 years, would never go back they are so comfortable.

I might have to try that out as I have my left over ones from high school.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Can anyone recommend decent cheap shoulder pads? The elastic on my CCMs is wearing out. I do like my current set, but thought I'd see if HF has any ideas before I buy more.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Can anyone recommend decent cheap shoulder pads? The elastic on my CCMs is wearing out. I do like my current set, but thought I'd see if HF has any ideas before I buy more.

I really rate the Nexus 4000 shoulders. They are bottom of range and I don't normally scrimp on gear, but I go heavier duty on gloves and elbows and the like, but if anyone is gonna run me or run into me I want as little protection as possible between them and my shoulder so they feel me.

They small, compact and fit snug. .and got them for a song. I think forty or fifty bucks. I bought the 6000 at the same time but have never had occasion to wear them I like the 4000 so much

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Sherwood 5030, CCM 1899.

Otherwise, all the low end ones are pretty much the same quality. Check pg1 for some of the model names.

badKarma

Dec 9, 2014
Madison, WI/D.C./Mia
Looking for a new pair of pants to replace my Warrior Covert DT1s. The Warriors had great protection however, they have a tailored fit and while I have a slim build, I want a pant with more room in the thigh area. I was looking at the new CCM Tacks line. Would the Ultra Tacks be overkill? I am playing on 2 D league teams this hockey season.

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
Without searching this entire thread does anyone have experience with Tron helmets? I’m in the market for a new lid; I’ve used their socks and jerseys and really like them. Was looking at their helmets just now but can't find any reviews

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
I've got a Bauer wheeled backpack bag I like when I play ice hockey and I need my full set of equipment but whenever I play roller hockey at the park all I usually wear are my skates, gloves, and shin pads. I was just wondering if somebody can recommend a smaller bag to just carry that stuff? I like how my backpack it has separate pockets for my skates so maybe a bag that has that. Should I maybe just look for intermediate or junior size bag? Thanks

Edit:
I got size 9-1/2 skates
15" shin pads
14" gloves

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I've got a Bauer wheeled backpack bag I like when I play ice hockey and I need my full set of equipment but whenever I play roller hockey at the park all I usually wear are my skates, gloves, and shin pads. I was just wondering if somebody can recommend a smaller bag to just carry that stuff? I like how my backpack it has separate pockets for my skates so maybe a bag that has that. Should I maybe just look for intermediate or junior size bag? Thanks

Edit:
I got size 9-1/2 skates
15" shin pads
14" gloves

Hmm, you could honestly use an appropriately sized gym/general athletics bag, which would be easier to find than hockey-specific ones.

I personally use a CCM referee bag: http://ccmhockey.com/en/gear/referee/referee/referee-bag

For pond hockey to carry a helmet, gloves, skates and jacket/jersey

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
haha, that's actually the exact same bag I have. It has 2 external skate compartments.

kev85

Mar 27, 2015
what size helment

I have measured my head at 59cm. I ordered a large bauer helmet. would that have been the right one for me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->