Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

Grodon

Apr 9, 2017
I'm super happy that your son is wanting to get into this sport and in shape.

What you may need to do is purchase some larger equipment for adults and modify using a sewing machine or the services of a seamstress.
There are some CCM +1 systems that allow some flexibility in length with Velcro, but that's only for an inch or so.

Neil92

Sep 3, 2018
This may be a weird question- but when you get your skates profiled, are you able to get them sharpened? and when you get them sharpened, do you just ask for the same profile to be made again?

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
This may be a weird question- but when you get your skates profiled, are you able to get them sharpened? and when you get them sharpened, do you just ask for the same profile to be made again?
A good sharpen should not drastically change the profile of the skate blade. Think of it as a touch up for your existing edge profile.

Over time, the actual radius of the blade will shrink after many sharpening sessions, but that will take a significant amount of time.

Neil92

Sep 3, 2018
A good sharpen should not drastically change the profile of the skate blade. Think of it as a touch up for your existing edge profile.

Over time, the actual radius of the blade will shrink after many sharpening sessions, but that will take a significant amount of time.

I mean, what I have is a 8/12' radius, with a medium forward pitch, and what is called a flat bottom V (I guess I am not understanding this) but when I requested this profile, I was not asked for what hollow I wanted.

So I guess I am a little confused. I understand what the radius change does to the blade, but there has to be a certain hollow, right?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I mean, what I have is a 8/12' radius, with a medium forward pitch, and what is called a flat bottom V (I guess I am not understanding this) but when I requested this profile, I was not asked for what hollow I wanted.

So I guess I am a little confused. I understand what the radius change does to the blade, but there has to be a certain hollow, right?

So there's some confusion of terminology here. What you described IS the hollow. A skate's profile is something different that that. Confusion can be had because the word radius is used in describing the hollow and the profile of a skate.

Here's a link with a quick rundown

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Anyone know much about goalie pad sizing? Looking for new pads for my just turned 10 year old - confused on ankle to knee vs height charts, he has a 15” ankle to middle of knee, 18” floor to middle of knee, stands about 4’8” (long shins must run in the family I guess). He currently has a set of 27’s that his knee is poking out of at the top when his skates are on - but 30+” pad feels wrong for a kid that age?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad