GWT: EPL Week 33

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think they're better in the context of the league. They're better, have more depth and they're more consistent at being flat track bullies and that's important when discussing title favourites. Do I think they're vastly better? No, and I think Liverpool are clearly the 2nd best team in the league and have the best chance of anyone to topple them but I still think City are the best team in the PL. Luckily the best team doesn't always win and form can determine the champion, especially when the margins are fine as they are in this one.

I don't see how us beating them in important games last season while they finished like 30 points ahead of us really means that we're as good as they are.

I just don't know how any of that stuff you mentioned actually matters when the teams are separated by the vast total of two points now and one if City wins their game in hand.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I just don't know how any of that stuff you mentioned actually matters when the teams are separated by the vast total of two points now and one if City wins their game in hand.
How does us beating them in important games last year matter when they've beaten us in the most important match-up we had this year, we haven't beaten them this year, and we don't play them again this season (in the PL)?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This match today. Look at Chelsea's schedule. It gets busy.
Even so, knowing this team, I feel we're due to drop one more that we shouldn't. So I think we're hoping for City to slip twice. Which could feasibly happen. I think there's a good chance they drop points to one of Man United or Tottenham, and maybe they'll also drop one they really should have won.

If they beat both Man United and Tottenham, I'll really be worried. At the same time, if we do win out, I like our chances.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
How does us beating them in important games last year matter when they've beaten us in the most important match-up we had this year, we haven't beaten them this year, and we don't play them again this season (in the PL)?

Ok, so let's throw that to the side. Now why are they better when they can't get any lead larger than a point?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm not counting on City dropping points. Just focusing on Liverpool winning out and trying my best to enjoy the ride.

Reactions: YNWA14

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This match today. Look at Chelsea's schedule. It gets busy.
Coming into today, there was no way I thought this game would be tougher than Newcastle away (leaving Chelsea out of it completely). I don't think this game being more of a nail-biter than it ought to have been, changes that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Coming into today, there was no way I thought this game would be tougher than Newcastle away (leaving Chelsea out of it completely). I don't think this game being more of a nail-biter than it ought to have been, changes that.

If Newcastle's safe, I think Benitez will play a weakened team or give the fans a sight of some youth players. That would no doubt make some people angry, but he's always going to be one of us and that's probably just how it is.

Of course Klopp would never assume that, but seriously.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
All things considered, it's probably better for Chelsea that Liverpool won today - means they'll be in a slightly less stressful must-win position when we go to Anfield.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
City has two tough matches left, hosting Spurs and heading over to OT. Those occur within 4 days of each other and the Spurs match is 3 days after the 2nd leg of the CL QF which they also host against Spurs.

They're gonna have to rotate in one of those games. Spurs are might be looking for revenge if City knock them out of the CL, and United have lost one game at home all year. Those are far from guaranteed points.

Liverpool host Chelsea and then have a bunch of garbage on their schedule. Wolves are the best team, but if they win Sunday they'll be resting absolutely everyone for that game.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Newcastle Away got a lot tougher. TV moved it to Sunday night. The Geordies are going to be loaded. Apparently it might moved again if Liverpool reach the CL final, but as it stands, it benefits Rafa more than Klopp.

Disclaimer: I am not saying there is a conspiracy. I have long said, I think early kickoffs are bad for the home team, but late kickoffs are bad for the away team. That is all.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
City has two tough matches left, hosting Spurs and heading over to OT. Those occur within 4 days of each other and the Spurs match is 3 days after the 2nd leg of the CL QF which they also host against Spurs.

They're gonna have to rotate in one of those games. Spurs are might be looking for revenge if City knock them out of the CL, and United have lost one game at home all year. Those are far from guaranteed points.

Liverpool host Chelsea and then have a bunch of garbage on their schedule. Wolves are the best team, but if they win Sunday they'll be resting absolutely everyone for that game.
The best version of Eden Hazard always shows up at Anfield, but Chelsea are trying to get Sarri fired so who knows what team shows up. Liverpool need to score first in that game.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Newcastle Away got a lot tougher. TV moved it to Sunday night. The Geordies are going to be loaded.

Geordies are always loaded when their football team plays. But the football team itself is limited, and, City aside, their record against the top six this campaign is abysmal.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Tielemans with a nice goal from distance after a corner. He has been sensational for Leicester.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Playing with Ndidi and Maddison sure helps as well, both a very good young midfielders.
Agreed. Leicester have a really nice young team; they are going to be a very good team moving forward.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I know this is a dig at Henry, but didn't Tielemans have a fallout with Jardim too?

Perhaps it was just a needed change of scenery.
Oh it was actually not a dig at anyone more tongue in cheek because I am a fan of Rodgers.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, Jardim is quite the coach and he couldn't stant Tielemans' nonchalence any longer.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Oh it was actually not a dig at anyone more tongue in cheek because I am a fan of Rodgers.

He's a top, top, top, top manager.

Jokes aside , I actually rate him too. Probably wouldn't have ditched Celtic like he did , but it's easy for me to say.

Interested to see what he does with Leicester. They have some intriguing young pieces , that he can hopefully keep together for awhile.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He's a top, top, top, top manager.

Jokes aside , I actually rate him too. Probably wouldn't have ditched Celtic like he did , but it's easy for me to say.

Interested to see what he does with Leicester. They have some intriguing young pieces , that he can hopefully keep together for awhile.
Yeah the Celtic thing was a bit much but maybe he felt this was the perfect situation and he didn't have time to wait. The sporting landscape is always tough to measure.

Leicester have looked really good since he took over though. I'm also interested to see where he takes them if he can keep most of them together...there aren't that many more attractive destinations in England tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00