GWT: EPL Matchweek 7 - Postponed

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
already down a game next weekend anyways, given Brighton and Palace is off

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How are European games going to go next week? If the game is away I don't see why that would be canceled but will they cancel any home games since all games are supposed to be canceled?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Personal opinions or not, but she was the head of state, officially. Her impact on British society as a whole is a lot more than can easily be explained. I think you will be ok without a weekend of football.

i mean ill be fine sure, no disrespect but if the head of state where i lived died, the pubs would be packed to the gills

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
How are European games going to go next week? If the game is away I don't see why that would be canceled but will they cancel any home games since all games are supposed to be canceled?
UEFA won’t let the games be changed. They’re going to be played period.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
When I heard they might postpone matches I knew there'd be some whining about it. It's like, none of you are English, it's the English league, no-one's making you watch the English league in the first place. Germany, France, Spain, Italy etc. will continue with their games as long as they still have enough energy to keep the stadium lights on.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Personal opinions or not, but she was the head of state, officially. Her impact on British society as a whole is a lot more than can easily be explained. I think you will be ok without a weekend of football.

Her impact on British society was forced down by her position of power and wealth. By that measure should we be okay with mourning the Kardashians some day because the media loves covering them?

I'm actually fine with the Prem being cancelled for a week for anything legitimate, there's a hundred other things to do. My problem is more the importance which a supposedly democratic country gives to royalty. I'm not saying the Brits should've had a French style revolution I just can't believe they're okay with this going on. Actually I can believe it because Canadians are fine with having another nation's rule on our money.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Her impact on British society was forced down by her position of power and wealth. By that measure should we be okay with mourning the Kardashians some day because the media loves covering them?

I'm actually fine with the Prem being cancelled for a week for anything legitimate, there's a hundred other things to do. My problem is more the importance which a supposedly democratic country gives to royalty. I'm not saying the Brits should've had a French style revolution I just can't believe they're okay with this going on. Actually I can believe it because Canadians are fine with having another nation's rule on our money.

Totally agree. I can't think of anything more diametrically opposed to the concept of human equality than certain people being "royal" simply by accident of birth.

Reactions: LOGiK and luiginb

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yea I hate what the royal family stands for but hey we need to get some players back fit please cancel the games. The queen dying might save our season and help repair our team from burnout sorry I mean to say I'm very sad and everyone should be sad and forced to mourn this weekend and nobody should be allowed to play football. ESPECIALLY NOT LIVERPOOL.

Reactions: luiginb

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Now keeping in mind what I said, for a lot of players this will make the season even harder. The games here are going to be shoved in later somewhere and it's going to be hard.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Now keeping in mind what I said, for a lot of players this will make the season even harder. The games here are going to be shoved in later somewhere and it's going to be hard.

Especially if they're going to be cancelled again for the funeral. Rescheduling two slates of games in a year like this is going to be mad. Imagine you get a covid resurgence too.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

This is a genuine issue for the EPL in what is already an overly congested season. But I don't see how they'll not be allowed to cancel the games.

Sounds like UEFA competitions with British clubs will still go ahead though

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
When I heard they might postpone matches I knew there'd be some whining about it. It's like, none of you are English, it's the English league, no-one's making you watch the English league in the first place. Germany, France, Spain, Italy etc. will continue with their games as long as they still have enough energy to keep the stadium lights on.
Sad that people can't figure this out.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

There is no government mandate other than they expect that there won't be games on the day of the funeral. Edit:

The Cabinet office has announced:

'There is no obligation to cancel or postpone events and sporting fixtures, or close entertainment venues during the National Mourning period. This is at the discretion of individual organisations.

'As a mark of respect, organisations might wish to consider cancelling or postponing events or closing venues on the day of the State Funeral. They are under no obligation to do so and this is entirely at the discretion of individual organisations.

'If sporting fixtures or events are planned for the day of the State Funeral, organisations may want to adjust the event timings so they do not clash with the timings of the funeral service and associated processions. As a mark of respect, and in keeping with the tone of National Mourning, organisers may wish to hold a period of silence and/or play the National Anthem at the start of events or sporting fixtures, and players may wish to wear black armbands"

Last edited:
Reactions: maclean

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Yes, whining because they'll miss a weekend of football. Farcical, although apologies to Queen Elizabeth who died.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad