GWT: EPL Matchweek 7 - Postponed

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I don't get your point. I understand why these matches are postponed. I never indicated that I am surprised by it.
If you don’t understand the significance and can’t connect the dots, which it seems like you don’t given your post, there’s not much to say. You’re trying to project your ideological position on the monarchy on to this decision.

There are always going to be dissenters on anything, especially on a topic as divisive as the modern English monarchy.

Reactions: HeHateMeFrisbee

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The death of Queen Elizabeth II isn't even in the same stratosphere as 9/11. This wasn't tragic, it was predictable. She lived a long, healthy, and presumably happy life. Plenty in England think it is unnecessary to postpone these matches, so it's not just a "you don't get it" thing for us outsiders.
Someone being old doesn't mean their death isn't tragic.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
If you don’t understand the significance and can’t connect the dots, which it seems like you don’t given your post, there’s not much to say. You’re trying to project your ideological position on the monarchy on to this decision.

There are always going to be dissenters on anything, especially on a topic as divisive as the modern English monarchy.

I do understand the significance to people who appreciate the monarchy or at the very least respect it. My original post in here was simply in response to someone invoking 9/11 for comparison purposes. This isn't in the same stratosphere.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
There's definitely an aspect to that, especially as the EPL is the biggest, most popular, dominant sport in the UK, which paints a bigger target on its back. As we saw with Princess Diana's death, 911, George Floyd & taking the knee etc these things can take on a life of their own and there becomes an element of requiring ever-increasing shows of virtuousness. So if the EPL didn't cancel this weekends games, for sure the UK media would have been on their case.

There hasn't been a uniform response across all sports. The cricket match between England & South Africa had play suspended today but will resume tomorrow - the international calendar has no room for rescheduling and the income from test matches funds the county level. A big womens boxing night has been postponed a month. Horse racing (a sport the Queen was actively in as an owner/breeder) has been suspended today and tomorrow but will resume on Sunday.
100%.

I don't know if it would be the case, and it wouldn't be the majority, but I'm certain there are some Liverpool supporters who are not giant fans of the monarchy (putting it lightly).

While I don't know if the EPL gets the same type of tax breaks, funding, and absurd almost subservience at times that say, the NFL gets in the US from gov't, I am sure that they would like to avoid any negative press. It's also just a bad look for supporters and clubs who do not want to showcase negatives.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Some big teams certainly now need to throw away LC/FA Cup games and play kids/reserves in them.
TBH, I think this was already the case. And I've stated several times that I think Liverpool's woes this year are partly related to chasing 4 competitions last season. If I'm a middling Premier League team thats not in Europe, I'd go all in on the cups this year, they might never have a better chance.

Reactions: gary69

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I do understand the significance to people who appreciate the monarchy or at the very least respect it. My original post in here was simply in response to someone invoking 9/11 for comparison purposes. This isn't in the same stratosphere.
There's nothing else that we have that we could compare though. John Paul 2 would be similar, but unless you are Italian or Catholic, you'd probably not give a shit about that either. If Biden passed away, we'd cancel games too, but I wanted something that actually occurred in real-life.

I wasn't even saying the 2 events are the same, just that they both are at the level that you'd expect entertainment events like sports to be cancelled for.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
There's nothing else that we have that we could compare though. John Paul 2 would be similar, but unless you are Italian or Catholic, you'd probably not give a shit about that either. If Biden passed away, we'd cancel games too, but I wanted something that actually occurred in real-life.

I wasn't even saying the 2 events are the same, just that they both are at the level that you'd expect entertainment events like sports to be cancelled for.
When RFK was assassinated, we postponed baseball and football games

Reactions: bleedblue1223

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
She was a monarch for 70 years. Her historical significance in Britain is in the same stratosphere.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
She was a monarch for 70 years. Her historical significance in Britain is in the same stratosphere.
There's really no comparison to her when it comes to world leaders or monarchy. What would be the response in Canada if Wayne Gretzky suddenly (as in not of old age) died during the NHL season? I mean we all saw what effect Kobe's death had in the US and the NBA.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
There's really no comparison to her when it comes to world leaders or monarchy. What would be the response in Canada if Wayne Gretzky suddenly (as in not of old age) died during the NHL season? I mean we all saw what effect Kobe's death had in the US.

I'd say Bhumibol was similar in terms of stature inside his country, but obviously Thailand isn't the same international stature as the UK.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Stupidity to postpone games. Like someone said - do a memorial before every match, armbands, whatever else.
Keep it pushing.

It's rumoured people at the FA/EPL were concerned that 'some fanbases' would be disrespectful which is why they postponed the games.

It's made all the more frustrating by other sports going ahead without any issue and by the way West Ham & Man Utd fans handled the games on Thursday night so well.

From a Forest perspective gives time for Niakhate and Mangala to recover from injury, hopefully we can find some consistency and not be yoyoing between performances like the one against Spurs, to the one against Bournemouth. Also means no 4 day turnaround between games while Fulham would have had a 6 day break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad