GWT: EPL Matchweek 7 - Postponed

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Let's just stick to what we all on this site/planet spend most of our time/lives: complaining online.

Don't forget painting everything as black and white and taking the moral high ground!

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I'm sure the players will be extatic to have their risk of injury increased in an already congested season for this.

Reactions: Rob

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I'm sure the players will be extatic to have their risk of injury increased in an already congested season for this.
They’re already playing every three days, in some cases less. Not sure how much of a difference it actually makes.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Plenty of time for Potter to get acquainted with his new squad and for Brighton to get a manager in .

Reactions: Blender

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
should of just did armbands moment of silence and played the games not a reason to cancel games.. but Rip Queen

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I just feel bad for all the international people that traveled to watch the games.

I was in Liverpool right before the Covid cancellations happened and I would have not known what to do with myself

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't know if I respect or just confused by the English people that argue that the games should go on and it's a bigger sign of respect because they can wear armbands, moment of silence, national anthem, etc.

In general, I think it's best to cancel broad entertainment events for stuff like this. Comparing it to the US, sports being cancelled after 9/11, or if we had a sitting President pass, sports would be cancelled as well. And like 9/11, there is always time for a show of respect during an event like when the Yankees returned home for the first time after 9/11, or when Bush threw the 1st pitch at Yankee Stadium later in the playoffs.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The death of Queen Elizabeth II isn't even in the same stratosphere as 9/11. This wasn't tragic, it was predictable. She lived a long, healthy, and presumably happy life. Plenty in England think it is unnecessary to postpone these matches, so it's not just a "you don't get it" thing for us outsiders.
Or compare it to games being cancelled when John Paul 2 died if you prefer that comparison. Regardless on how you feel about the monarchy, England, the Queen herself, it's a historic moment, and entertainment can wait.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Her impact on British society was forced down by her position of power and wealth. By that measure should we be okay with mourning the Kardashians some day because the media loves covering them?

I'm actually fine with the Prem being cancelled for a week for anything legitimate, there's a hundred other things to do. My problem is more the importance which a supposedly democratic country gives to royalty. I'm not saying the Brits should've had a French style revolution I just can't believe they're okay with this going on. Actually I can believe it because Canadians are fine with having another nation's rule on our money.
Again, it seems you just don't really get it. It's fine, you don't have to. The leagues didn't have to cancel. They chose to out of respect for a head of state passing.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
They can do whatever they want. Doesn't mean that this whole concept isn't silly and there is nothing tragic about what happened yesterday.

Frank Drebin put it best:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I also think there's some desire to avoid any potential bad behavior, just as much as showing respect for the monarch.

There's definitely an aspect to that, especially as the EPL is the biggest, most popular, dominant sport in the UK, which paints a bigger target on its back. As we saw with Princess Diana's death, 911, George Floyd & taking the knee etc these things can take on a life of their own and there becomes an element of requiring ever-increasing shows of virtuousness. So if the EPL didn't cancel this weekends games, for sure the UK media would have been on their case.

There hasn't been a uniform response across all sports. The cricket match between England & South Africa had play suspended today but will resume tomorrow - the international calendar has no room for rescheduling and the income from test matches funds the county level. A big womens boxing night has been postponed a month. Horse racing (a sport the Queen was actively in as an owner/breeder) has been suspended today and tomorrow but will resume on Sunday.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The death of Queen Elizabeth II isn't even in the same stratosphere as 9/11. This wasn't tragic, it was predictable. She lived a long, healthy, and presumably happy life. Plenty in England think it is unnecessary to postpone these matches, so it's not just a "you don't get it" thing for us outsiders.
Yes, the football fans in England are voicing their displeasure that this weekend's football is canceled. Who's surprised by that?

I can't tell if this is ignorance or if you are trying to stir the pot. The Queen passed away, the EFL was always going to postpone football. This is a major event across the UK and beyond. It also doesn't matter that her death was "predictable", it's the Head of State lol. Things are going to be put on pause for this. So I guess it is just a case of you not getting it... The Queen dies, they canceled the football...that checks out.

Edit": I just want to add that I'm by no means pro-monarchy. Quite the contrary actually. It's just so obvious this was how things would play out following the Queen's passing.

Reactions: HeHateMeFrisbee

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Yes, the football fans in England are voicing their displeasure that this weekend's football is canceled. Who's surprised by that?

I can't tell if this is ignorance or if you are trying to stir the pot. The Queen passed away, the EFL was always going to postpone football. This is a major event across the UK and beyond. It also doesn't matter that her death was "predictable", it's the Head of State lol. Things are going to be put on pause for this. So I guess it is just a case of you not getting it... The Queen dies, they canceled the football...that checks out.

Edit": I just want to add that I'm by no means pro-monarchy. Quite the contrary actually. It's just so obvious this was how things would play out following the Queen's passing.

I don't get your point. I understand why these matches are postponed. I never indicated that I am surprised by it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad